Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Subjects Would You Like to See More of in PCGS Articles?

Our content team wants to know what you would like to see us cover. Feel free to comment with a suggestion if you don't see an option in the poll.

What Subjects Would You Like to See More of in PCGS Articles?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Historic Coins

Any articles on pre33 gold and pioneer gold is interesting to me...

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭
    Historic Coins

@asheland said:
    Any articles on pre33 gold and pioneer gold is interesting to me...

I completely agree with you

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Curious how you handle and process large submissions - like from discovered hoards or shipwrecks, etc.
    True View pictures taken before or after restoration?
    Grading done before or after?
    Thanks.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banknotes

I voted banknotes because they are different from what I collect. But what really would choose is not listed. I would like to read articles on the technologies involved. Maybe something about the screw press operation, when the US adopted the French reducing machine for creating hubs, etc. I would find that fascinating.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeit Detection

Anything educating is good by me

• Options
    LoveTypeCoinsLoveTypeCoins Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

It would be great to have a series of articles that show side by side coin comparisons. Topics i’d like to see include coin grades 66 vs 65 (65 vs 64, etc) with detailed discussion of why each received the assigned grade; before and after pictures of restoration with detailed discussion of what the “issue” was (pvc, etc) and the resolution; counterfeit detection with detailed discussion of markers from not legit (cast, etc) coins; doctored coins with detailed discussion of how the problem was identified.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collector Interviews

I find interviews generally enlightening, so voted for those. Collecting sets would have been my next choice.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed the article on 1965-1967 SMS Coinage.

Still hoping for a similar article on niche area of 1950-1964 Proof Coinage (plus 1936-1942 Proof Coinage). Photos of and a discussion of the wide range of appearances of these early proof coins would be interesting [brilliant, satin, Cameo, DCAM, toned, untoned] as would photos and discussions of major and minor varieties present in this area.

What would also be of great interest would be an article that discusses the history of the origination of, creation of, launching of, operation of and continuing evolution of the PCGS Set Registry.

Whoever came up with the idea of a Set Registry was brilliant, as it has added something to the hobby that allows for a public display of the end product of the efforts of collectors.

It appeals to many aspects of basic human nature, including showing off what one has created and "Competition" to be the best that one can be.

Perhaps the person or persons involved in originating, creating and launching the Set Registry would be willing to be interviewed and tell, firsthand, his, her or their story.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 3:15PM
    Collector Interviews

'Collecting sets' and 'restoration' seems interesting, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoration

Fascinating subject.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeit Detection

Counterfeiting is becoming more and more prevalent so counterfeit coin detection is an important subject.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 6:35PM
    Historic Coins

Pre Civil War gold especially from Charlotte and Dahlonega. Thanks for asking and for your support of this group.

Edit for grammar.

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector Interviews

I like reading about coins, and there is a lot of that material out there to digest. Much scarcer are the interviews with collectors, their personal strategies of collecting, and their stories.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 8:10PM
    Collector Interviews

Exonumia :(

Collector interviews come in second. I love reading about personal perspectives on collecting.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties

Difficult choice to choose just one.

I chose varieties mainly because it is the last frontier in collecting traditional US coinage. Many collectors are unaware of what truly exists. Accomplishing this task could be done through a corroborative effort tackling one series at a time and spreading the articles overtime as part of a ongoing series.

There could even be a story for various world coin varieties as well.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 5:05AM
    Varieties

What I would like to see is your team's energy put into finishing fill outs of CoinFacts Descriptions. I and my Mike Hayes Barber Megathread friends would appreciate that being completed. Ron and Jamie do a great job but so many are blank and education is vital for our YN's and other new collectors. The BCCS / John Frost have reported how we are seeing growth in Barber collecting when other areas have shown decline. I for one believe your team's energy would be best aligned to hobby areas where growth is being experienced. Areas of focus would be non-dormant price guides, CoinFacts, there are so many unrecognized varieties, etc.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties

Ditto what @sedulous said.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counterfeit Detection

Counterfeit detection would be of prime interest. Several of those topics would be of interest, so hard to pick just one... With counterfeiting becoming so prevalent though, this is a prime need. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 7:33AM
    Counterfeit Detection

I agree with counterfeit detection as well; so many threats to the Hobby right now with counterfeits in genuine holders, counterfeits in counterfeit holders and even lower grade genuine examples in counterfeit higher grade slabs!

I believe the more we can get the word out for visibility and recognition of the concern and ways to determine authenticity the better.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collector Interviews

@sedulous said:
    What I would like to see is your team's energy put into finishing fill outs of CoinFacts Descriptions. I and my Mike Hayes Barber Megathread friends would appreciate that being completed. Ron and Jamie do a great job but so many are blank and education is vital for our YN's and other new collectors. The BCCS / John Frost have reported how we are seeing growth in Barber collecting when other areas have shown decline. I for one believe your team's energy would be best aligned to hobby areas where growth is being experienced. Areas of focus would be non-dormant price guides, CoinFacts, there are so many unrecognized varieties, etc.

If PCGS did write more on varieties, it would be nice for those articles to be associated with CoinFacts.

Earlier CoinFacts was great for variety researchers due to the number of photos included. Not sure there's as good of a resource now.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can whole heartedly 2nd this! Especially when it comes to dormant price guides. On the one hand...it helps me to buy...but on the other hand after over 2000 sales of PCGS Graded mid grade Barber halves, my overall average sales price is somewhere around double PCGS Price Guide. I will add this....there are many PCGS graded Barbers I will not buy, due to the quality...even if they meet the grade. That's not to say I don't get any as sometimes they come along in a set where it's buy all or none.

@sedulous said:

• Options

Thank you all very much for voting and for the suggestions! Some have been added to our content pipeline so be on the lookout for your content requests in the future!

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

I’d like to see a series of potentially contentious coin/coin grades discussed in depth. We collectively love to take shots at some grades assigned but I suspect there’s a logic behind the grade and would love to hear from the graders on the matter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file