Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The HOLY GRAIL of all unopened!! 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Wax Box Sealed Case (12/36)

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 7:07AM

I keep clicking to Add To Cart but for some reason its not working here. ;)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

No question it is a million dollar case. Because having a FASC box from that series is something no one else has, and for a diehard basketball collector that would be the unicorn. The more fun option here would be for a huge high dollar collector to purchase it and then have it disappear into his collection for the next 50 years. Wonder what it would be worth then?
    kevin

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if they collected on BBCEs bounty for just showing them a case. Or did that expire?

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 5:05PM

amazing

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...now those images excite me in ways I didn’t anticipate! Awesome to see a sealed case finally emerge after all these years. The last one was found by DACW back in 2005.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every single time I hear about these boxes I cringe at the fact I used to see them in the Richdale up the street from my house back in 1986, I always bought the baseball 😭

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you X-ray the case to verify the boxes are in there?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Absolutely amazing that a sealed case is available for sale.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Danny Ainge's rookie card was the 1982 Topps Baseball :D

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Jenny has like 4 or 5 of these. What's the fuss about?

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Like my mom always said, "all it takes in money".

PackManInNC
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

or as I say, "I'd rather be rich instead of good looking!"

PackManInNC
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me wonder how many dealers(BBCE, D and A, etc) have the capital to make a run for this case? Being independent;y wealthy and running a company in which you have to account for overhead and margins are two different things.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say $2M+, but the real question is how many more of these are there in the Fritsch vault??

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be fun to watch. This will be passed a million I bet within in a few hours of being listed.

If from a sealed case boxes are say 150k and you have 12 that puts you at 1.8 million and then you need to add at least a 40% premium to that so I guess the final price is $2,520,000.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 - I'm kinda thinking the same way. Gonna be so fun to watch unfold!!! Historic in collecting!!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    @Dpeck100 - I'm kinda thinking the same way. Gonna be so fun to watch unfold!!! Historic in collecting!!

There is huge money moving into cards. I get it people want to question it but they are just fooling themselves. It is real. I could see a non collector going after this purely for investment.

Someone told me Jordan buys his own cards. You can't rule him out as a buyer.

How cool would that be if he stepped up and said too bad Bitch++ I am winning. Haha.

• Options

HOLY _HIT. A dealer or even a high end basketball collector won't be able to afford it. Those guys can afford maybe $200K, but not a million dollars. It's probably going to be won by someone like an NBA team owner or possibly an organization (college, HOF, museum, etc,...)

I can see Michael Jordan winning the lot. Or even Nike's Phil Knight.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    So does this case reach 1M?

@erikthredd said:
    So does this case reach 1M?

Closer to 2 million imo, maybe over 2 million in this white hot unopened market.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpeck - its totaly real. I've had people reach out to me offering big money for cards from my collection. It is real no doubt about it. I normally just share pics and keep my mouth shut but it is what is.

• Options

I'd imagine Hal Streinbrenner would be involved on something like this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

conduct an unopened search for the entire auction -- this is not the only tasty morsel exiting the Fritsch vault

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to think the is a 2 mill case. Perhaps a wealthy Asian collector?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I miss in the lot description where it says this is a Fritch case? How do we know this comes from LF? I know it has a WI. Stamp on the case, but it does not say Fritch.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Most of the [good] unopened in CollectAuction's auctions come from Fritsch... I'd say with 99.99% certainty it came from them. I'd also be willing to bet, they have at least a couple more of these. I don't think any of us can truly grasp what they still have stashed away... and all I can say is good for them!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

As a kid, I ripped as much '86 as any one on this board. 90% baseball and 10% hockey. Never bought a single basketball pack. Like most of my posts imply, I'm an idiot.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Since this appears to be a Fritsch case, and there certainly could be more will keep the price of this down. While 1 or 2 million is certainly possible, I can't see it going for much more, because investors will just wait for the next one, if there is another one.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    Since this appears to be a Fritsch case, and there certainly could be more will keep the price of this down. While 1 or 2 million is certainly possible, I can't see it going for much more, because investors will just wait for the next one, if there is another one.

Disagree. This is a bragging rights item. #BOOM

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

If he has more it could be 20 years before he releases the next one. There is a reason they still have everything left - they don’t release things out of their warehouse too quickly.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

Sports Collectors on Twitter is confirming its a Fritsch case.

• Options

This case is 2 million, minimum.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think if they stashed 50 cases at rock bottom discounts in 1987 or 88. Just let them foment in the warehouse and go through the roof. If they have several cases, that would cause prices to soften over time unless they really stretch these out over time.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Just think if they stashed 50 cases at rock bottom discounts in 1987 or 88. Just let them foment in the warehouse and go through the roof. If they have several cases, that would cause prices to soften over time unless they really stretch these out over time.

I don't think they have a large quantity of these. If they did, I think they would already have been selling one every so often. On the other hand, wouldn't Fritch let the world know that this is the only one they have if that was the case? My guess is that they have at least one more.

Don

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I believe the final hammer price is over 2 million. Jordan has a huge international collector base and with deep pockets. Give the Fritsch family credit for holding on to this case. Man, what a ROE ! I suspect they may have more.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 5:39AM

Its not larry fritsch himself though....he and his son jeff have died. Its jeremy the grandkid now. Maybe he just likes $$ instead of hoarding.

• Options

Already above a million!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@gemint said:

I don't think they have a large quantity of these. If they did, I think they would already have been selling one every so often. On the other hand, wouldn't Fritch let the world know that this is the only one they have if that was the case? My guess is that they have at least one more.

Don

According to Sport's Collector Daily, this was their only case:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/unopened-1986-87-fleer-basketball-case-yes-case-could-reach-1-million-or-more/?fbclid=IwAR3uJplyyfdy0C_Kh3oHRnC4gCChuwNZfaDZesQm8qXZcHdC-MmBY8N5DH4

• Options

Any idea why the case says there's bubble gum included when there's not?

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gum is on top of each pack

• Options

@dan89 said:
    Gum is on top of each pack

Really? Thought Topps was the only allowed to include gum. Or was that only in baseball?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is the only one. One would have come out years ago if there were more. No way anyone 34 years ago thought this was worth saving for 2 million. I never purchased a single pack. Realistically it's not rookie cards of hardly any players. This was like Jordan's 3rd year. As much as I've heard Fritsch has had over the years....this could have been stuck away in some other warehouse or something??? Who knows really??

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

How is the '86 set not rookie cards for "hardly any players"? This is like the best rookie crop of all time isn't it? It may not be their "rookie" year but it's their first major card. If that's not the case, Wilt Chamberlain fans will be sad to learn that the 61 Fleer is not his rookie card.

• Options

I still think there's another in their vault, or at least full cases no longer sealed... there's no benefit whatsoever to admit you have more at this point. I've always believed Larry tucked away a lot of unopened that he never made available in his catalogs or website. Not to mention their vending inventory... every sport from the early 70s to 80s, probably multiple cases of each year/sport. People often complain about their selling practices (limits and increasing price with each sale), but Larry did a good job of never flooding the market with any particular issue and providing security for many generations of his family.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

These events are good in the sense that they spike interest in the hobby.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Webb63 said:
    How is the '86 set not rookie cards for "hardly any players"? This is like the best rookie crop of all time isn't it? It may not be their "rookie" year but it's their first major card. If that's not the case, Wilt Chamberlain fans will be sad to learn that the 61 Fleer is not his rookie card.

I was referring to my thoughts in 1986 and how I didn't really care about the cards and that it was Jordan's 3rd year. Yes, now those are some of the best Basketball rookies money can buy....Barkley, Ewing...etc.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 11:50AM

From the article " BBCE is expected to authenticate and wrap all three cases sometime in the coming days". What if the buyer wanted the original case? I guess they mean wrap he will try to wrap the entire case?