Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Bruce Morelan Collection of Early Dollars Regency Auction 41

124»

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photo! Is there a reverse to go with that?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may be able to actually hear my heart going pitter patter

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited August 1, 2020 4:34PM

Not sure if it's too late for this, but if I owned the 1794 dollar, I would be tempted to crack it out and hold it raw like @cardinal did. Not sure if that's smart or dumb, but it would be historic and amazing.

I wonder if Bruce has thought of that? :)

• wrightywrighty Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce,
    Aside from the two big ones 1794 & 1804 what is your next favorite coin you consigned. Also what makes it so special length of time to find it, the look etc. Appreciate you sharing. Thank you.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is TDN going through sellers remorse or does he now want to let someone else have fun with the coins??

Or both??

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

TDN: I still have the first E Norweb 1795 holed $10 gold coin thanks to you.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

TDN, as most of us would agree is the Energizer Bunnie in the high end coin market. He has owned many great rarities only to sell them and acquire more great rarities. And after a few years they will also be sold.

TDN is really just the smartest shark in the numismatic ocean. He does not really "collect" coins, he just is the best in the business selling them to the whales. And I wish him the best in the upcoming Regency auction. I may even travel to Las
    Vegas to see his coins. I was just through Vegas a few weeks ago and was not quarantined.......but response to the pandemic is a moving solution.

OINK

edited August 1, 2020 9:15PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@wrighty said:
    Bruce,
    Aside from the two big ones 1794 & 1804 what is your next favorite coin you consigned. Also what makes it so special length of time to find it, the look etc. Appreciate you sharing. Thank you.

I always wanted one of these and this was the perfect coin in the perfect grade

Beautiful coin! Here's the TrueView:

edited August 1, 2020 11:44PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    TDN, as most of us would agree is the Energizer Bunnie in the high end coin market. He has owned many great rarities only to sell them and acquire more great rarities. And after a few years they will also be sold.

TDN is really just the smartest shark in the numismatic ocean. He does not really "collect" coins, he just is the best in the business selling them to the whales. And I wish him the best in the upcoming Regency auction. I may even travel to Las
    Vegas to see his coins. I was just through Vegas a few weeks ago and was not quarantined.......but response to the pandemic is a moving solution.

OINK

It's a pretty great strategy which has resulted in some wonderful coins. I can't wait to see what he collects next :)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my days, I haven't seen anyone having more fun, nor getting more bang for their buck than TDN. Both; admirable and enjoyable ....

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@wrighty said:
    Bruce,

I always wanted one of these and this was the perfect coin in the perfect grade

That is the nicest coin I’ve ever seen. What an amazing eye. Congratulations

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited September 14, 2020 7:41PM

Just saw this ad. Hope HLRC knows there's one here :)

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Bruce, do you have one of these?

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any information or speculation on who owned the SP66 1794 Dollar prior to Virgil Brand?

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut thank you so much for posting all your amazing coins! Their amazing to look at and super cool! Hopefully when I grow up (im 16) maybe in 30 years I can afford to buy one of your (cheaper) coins. Out of pure curiosity, what's the cheapest coins you have? What's your favorite? What got you into coin collecting? Sorry if I am bothering/annoying you with questions!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    Is there any information or speculation on who owned the SP66 1794 Dollar prior to Virgil Brand?

It's not known.
    There is a theory:

One theory is that this is the Adam Eckfeldt-Mint Cabinet coin that was traded for Washingtonia in the 1840-1850s by the Mint Director, James Ross Snowden. There were many coins that were traded from the Mint Cabinet for Washingtonia and other "holes" in the collection. This coin very likely is one of those traded coins.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1794-1/86851

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing Do a search on YouTube for Bruce Morelan and you’ll see several videos that speak to some of his interests and favorites. :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2020 3:04PM

That statement is ridiculous! Arguably one of the most astute collectors of our generation. He can grade really well, he understands the market and he has built the best early dollar date set, best seated dollars and best trade dollars. That's all he's done as a collector. And a bunch of other serious collector stuff like 1913 lib nickels.....
    Some people just being a little silly here for fun im guessing. :)

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show your 1909 Rattler collection!

@tradedollarnut said:
    He does not really "collect" coins, he just is the best in the business selling them to the whales.

I’m afraid that I have to strenuously object to any statement inferring that I don’t collect coins.

I mean you got one of the best collections there are. So yes you collect coins. Also good luck with making some fat stacks from your auction.

@Catbert said:
    @CalifornianKing Do a search on YouTube for Bruce Morelan and you’ll see several videos that speak to some of his interests and favorites. :)

Will do! Thanks!

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

One reason I used to go to shows was to physically look at coins like these, because there's no way I'll ever own one of them.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2020 5:43PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

There are Gerry Forsythe & Eric Newman type guys who have inexhaustible resources and are in it for the very long term.

Then, there are Dr. Steven Duckor type guys who will mortgage the house, just to complete a set and for bragging rights, and then will sell, immediately, upon completion.

I think that TDN falls somewhere in the middle.

I would MOST certainly label TDN, as one of the greatest collectors of our time, in any event.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file