Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What I Need/Want: Remember Those Revolving Coin Display Cases in Woolworth's?

RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember those old display cases from the 1960s and 1970s...with the two buttons to advance the trays forward and backward...in the coin departments of many department stores?

How great would it be to have one of those cases today, to display many of your slabs in one easy to see place?

Has anyone ever seen one of them on sale on eBay?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I remember Woolworth's having them. My dealer friend's shop has them all over her place. I like 'em. Lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall correctly, at least some of those machines had a red button to make the trays revolve in one direction and a black button to reverse the direction. For those not familiar with these displays, think of free-swinging shelves hanging from a rotisserie chicken as it revolves around the horizontal, center spit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020 8:50PM

There called Whirlybird's (the coin slang term)

I used to have two in the old shop. Dont any longer. They are hard to keep maintained and expensive if they break down.

Carolina pawn here in fayetteville had two for sale at one time

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of a couple of coin shops in my area that still have those. They are awesome. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2020 9:02PM

Right...if I remember as a kid...I think they have a chain type pulley drive on one side to rotate the trays, which kinda hang like gondola cars on a Ferris wheel.

And yes, one button was black and the other was red.

I wonder if slabs would fit in the trays? I think they usually held 2x2 coin flips back in the day.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship something like that even if you could find it?

Where was I when Woolworth's, Macy's, Gimbels, Wannamakers, etc. closed their coin departments? They probably just threw them out!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty Coins in Signal Hill CA still has 2 or 3 of them functioning in their shop. (One is a little flaky, but I've become fairly adept at pushing the button just right....) ;)

Nice little shop, if you're ever in the area....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember those in the department stores quite well. One coin shop in the area still has a couple.

• Options

<<There called Whirlybird's (the coin slang term)>>

Wasn't Whirlybird a pinball machine maker back in the day? I wonder if there's any connection?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020 9:08PM

One shop that I know has two of them and they hold 2x2s but another shop I know has a newer model of sorts and it holds SLABS.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

Question...for all the old(er) timers out there...when did coin and stamp departments in stores really become a thing...because most downtown stores seemed to have one tucked away in the basement,,,not far from the sporting department or credit office!

My personal recollection goes back to the late '60s/early 70s...but did it go back to the 50s...or even the 40s?

Or were there stamp departments first? Honest question?

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

The antique shops here in the San Jose area have these display cases

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I remember them very well. One thing I do miss

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently they are still available, brand new. :)

spindisplay.com/bmc

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! They are proud of them suckers. $3200.00

@keets said:
    apparently they are still available, brand new. :)

spindisplay.com/bmc

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been there in a while but my local coin shop still has those revolving cases.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall them in the local five and dime here when I was a kid...they had them in the fifties....both the large and the smaller ones for the counter top...Used them in the jewelry department too...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 5:37AM

They used to made by 'Berg'. They were called 'motion showcases'......
    Loved 'em......

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Round and round an round they go ... Morgans, Morgans and more Morgans ... that is how I remember them.

They are still around ... and the Morgans are still going around, around, around.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even remember Woolworth's.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my local pawn stores uses one for coins... By the time the thing finally does a full rotation my mind is usually on tacos and no longer coins.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2020 7:02AM

[I don't even remember Woolworth's.]

Oh I'm sorry to hear that...for a kid a classic Woolworth's was a cheap dream come true!

Want a hot dog and a slurpee, we got those against the wall; want a goldfish or a parakeet, those are downstairs.

How about a plastic tank or some toy soldiers? No...how about 500 Matchbox cars or some helium ballons, we got those too!

Oh yeah...and some cheap coins and stamps too...all going around and around.

Total price for everything above...maybe $20!

PS...for some reason...and maybe a psychiatrist can explain this...but I can still remember my grandmother buying me a 500-piece super set of the then brand new Lego toy at a Woolworth's on Long Island...in 1974! Now how can I remember that but not remember what I ate on Friday??? I think it cost her $14.99...and why would I remember that too?

Memories are a funny thing.

• Options

OMG...I can't believe they're still made!!! Damn you for finding them: $3,200!!!!

I might need to twist my wife's arm for Christmas...big time!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 6:59AM

Those machines were in the FANCY Woolworth's like the "world's largest Woolworths" in Boston. Down in the sticks, where I grew up, it was a book with a lock that held a bar on the top of the pages.

The most expensive coin in the book, ever, was the 1939-D nickel in VF-EF @ $13.00. That was a very high price for it. The piece of "sucker bail" were the "California gold factional pieces" @ $2.00 each. They were dated in the 1850s, but there was a bear on the reverse. You know what the only saying is. "When you see the bear, beware."

A couple of the local antique stores still have those type of display counters.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 12:39PM

Cool Thread! B)
    Bringing back memories. Woolworth's / "The Dime Store"!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember those display cases.

• Options

...life was simpler then...not necessarily better, but simpler.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... I've spun a few of those trays in my time....

----- kj
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only Woolworth's I remember was the one my mom took me to on Jaimaca Ave, in Queens NY. This was early 1990s and she bought me my first Game Boy which included Tetris. Don't remember any coins though.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dealer has one in his shop.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always bought my kites from Woolworth's. I also liked those balsa airplanes with the rubber band. Cool cheap toys. I loved that place. Mine was on Milwaukee ave right down from six corners. Kee's and Sears were right at Six Corners. Sears use to have a coin shop on the lower level. Lots of fun when I was a kid.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I got a bit nostalgic and got of topic.

• Options
    CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

I looked through one before I sat at my desk and to my surprise, this thread was here!
    This is awesome.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR
    I do remember when my local Woolworth's was closing the coin/hobby dept. and I asked if the coins were going to be put on clearance sale. The clerk said he didn't know. I came back the next day and the rotating coin displays were emptied. So there was never an opportunity to snag something good and cheap. I think this was around 1976. I can say it has been close to 44 years since I have given this a thought!

• Options
    edited June 14, 2020 3:44PM

[I can say it has been close to 44 years since I have given this a thought!]

I think about it more often than that...here's a hallway in my basement...and yes, they do light!

• Options

[Sorry I got a bit nostalgic and got of topic.]

Nostalgia is good!

:)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly don’t remember them being used for coins. But I remember them full of Timex watches.

• Options

Watches...and Zippo lighters...and coins...and fish and tackle gear...all sorts of manly man stuff!!!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "local" coin shop has them still in use. They're great.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 4:21PM

The coin shop in the Seattle Convention Center has them. John Konrad is the owner, they were transferred from the old Frederick & Nelson department store coin shop, which is now the Nordstrom flagship store. Scroll down in the link to see images.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&amp;pb=!1s0x54906ab51d1e0c63:0xd88e76c47282874a!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOJefOK2J5QzxAjt_MD5jINdAyzVf30NDE3uoB1=w325-h218-n-k-no!5scoin shop seattle convention - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&amp;imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOJefOK2J5QzxAjt_MD5jINdAyzVf30NDE3uoB1

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

OK...that's a very nice store; sadly I don't think anything like that exists in the state pf New York anymore!

At least not stocking stamps and coins to the exclusion of all else!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 5:40PM

From one of my favorite movies.

“We was beat up by a Bible salesman and banished from Woolworths. I dont know, Everett, was it the one branch or all of them?"

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago a sportscard shop I visited had one displaying cards. Trouble with that was the lighting tended to fade the cards if they were left in there long enough. Also kids tended to tie up the viewing playing with the buttons.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always build your own

https://youtu.be/L3RX_LNo_jA

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

life was simpler then...not necessarily better, but simpler.

given current circumstances I believe many would agree with better.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

W. T. Grant's had one in there store at one time for there coins

• Options
    edited June 15, 2020 8:36AM

Another thing...when I was a kid...all men (never a woman) behind the coin counter were:

Old
    Bald(ing)
    Wore glasses on a chain around their neck

Now...as Bugs Bunny would say...I resemble that remark!

• Options
    17751775 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I had them in my store for 20 years/ the only problem was that when kids would start playing with them and a tray would come off it's pegs it would take Hours to untangle all the trays.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file