Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How far would you go to raise the next generation of YNs?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2, 2021 8:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know B&M dealers that really like coins like these because they tell me this is what their YNs want.

Would you gift coins like these, or would you wait till they can appreciate classic coins?

With a PCGS pop of 2/0, this is a super rare, top pop set.

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to leave my collection to someone in my extended family with the hope they would add to it. Young or old, it doesn't matter to me.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I would like to leave my collection to someone in my extended family with the hope they would add to it. Young or old, it doesn't matter to me.

Is anyone in your extended family interested in coins?

• Options
    edited June 7, 2020 11:33AM

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

No, but I am working on it. My brother has two young girls who are my first candidates. A little young now (six and two) but I have thought about starting them with Canadian coinage. He lives in Nova Scotia.

• Options

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

No, but I am working on it. My brother has two young girls who are my first candidates. A little young now (six and two) but I have thought about starting them with Canadian coinage. He lives in Nova Scotia.

That's a good idea. Canada has some really nice coins.

When I was a kid, I really liked the 1967 Canadian Centennial set because they had animals on them.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

That's a good idea. Canada has some really nice coins.

When I was a kid, I really liked the 1967 Canadian Centennial set because they had animals on them.

I have a PL centennial set which I bought at a Halifax coin shop on my first visit back in 2000. Not sure it is still there but it was in a mall near the water front.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    To me....Those aren't coins.....They are novelty items, although I'm sure that they have SOME type of monetary value. I doubt that anything like this would ever get a little girl or boy interested in U.S. Classic coinage. So, YES, that is going TOO FAR, IMHO. Those aren't even U.S. They are from a South Pacific Island Country.

My dad, who got me started on coins, is worse than me, as he even HATES Silver Eagles, b/c they are not meant for commerce. I can appreciate Silver Eagles but he detests them. He says that they are just BULLION made for Bullion collectors. He thinks that the prices for MS 70 examples are absurd. LOL

I don’t think that’s going too far, but rather, it’s going in the wrong direction.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    To me....Those aren't coins.....They are novelty items, although I'm sure that they have SOME type of monetary value. I doubt that anything like this would ever get a little girl or boy interested in U.S. Classic coinage. So, YES, that is going TOO FAR, IMHO. Those aren't even U.S. They are from a South Pacific Island Country.

I don't think foreign coins are necessarily a bad thing.

When I was a kid my Dad gave me some US coins but he also gave me one foreign coin that was larger in diameter and width than a US silver dollar that really captured my imagination.

I don't buy coins like that now but it really excited me as a kid.

My dad, who got me started on coins, is worse than me, as he even HATES Silver Eagles, b/c they are not meant for commerce. I can appreciate Silver Eagles but he detests them. He says that they are just BULLION made for Bullion collectors. He thinks that the prices for MS 70 examples are absurd. LOL

My Dad was a dabbler, mostly into getting us gifts than collecting himself. The nice things about coins is that they have years on them so when he got me moderns, even years later I can easily date when he got me those coins.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Those Disney “coins” are to Classic US coinage what Justin Bieber is to the Eagles.
    Not the jumpstart I’d see happening for YNs.
    Honestly the Quarter program running these last 20 years is a good move to at least introduce collecting to kids. How it actually work I guess we’ll never know.
    ps I’m not anti-Disney.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2020 11:56AM

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:

When I was a kid my Dad gave me some US coins but he also gave me one foreign coin that was larger in diameter and width than a US silver dollar that really captured my imagination.

My Dad was a dabbler, mostly into getting us gifts than collecting himself. The nice things about coins is that they have years on them so when he got me moderns, even years later I can easily date when he got me those coins.

I totally agree with you. My father also gave me a lot of foreign coins, as a child, and they were VERY exciting. Many were silver and had some good value and were in high collector grade. Coins like that are MUCH better than any 'moderns'....U.S. or foreign. I still have them. Maybe; I'll return to the foreign "Darkside" of collecting, some day. But, right now, my focus is on U.S. coins.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited June 7, 2020 11:58AM

@Walkerfan said:
    @MFeld

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:

I totally agree with you. My father also gave me a lot of foreign coins, as a child, and they were VERY exciting. Many were silver and had some good value and were in high collector grade. Coins like that are MUCH better than any 'moderns'....U.S. or foreign. I still have them. Maybe; I'll return to the foreign "Darkside" of collecting, some day. But, right now, my focus is on U.S. coins.

That sounds great and exciting for a kid! My father brought back a lot of foreign coins from his travels which was exciting. Many of those were circulated but some were in nice MS condition. Even now, I'm excited to see coins of those types and have considered purchasing high grade PCGS specimens.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:

That sounds great and exciting for a kid! My father brought back a lot of foreign coins from his travels which was exciting. Many of those were circulated but some were in nice MS condition. Even now, I'm excited to see coins of those types and have considered purchasing high grade PCGS specimens.

Mine were large to medium sized copper and silver coins that were primarily from Europe and Asia. Dated anywhere from the early Nineteenth century through WWII.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of those, but to each their own.

To the point of your question ... I think to get people involved we have to reach out where we can. I think we need to remember the little things that sparked us and try to create that spark for someone else.

When I was in the 1st grade my neighbor showed me some coins he had from when he and his wife and traveled overseas to Europe. Eventually after my many questions and his patient answers he gave me a Half Penny and told me some of the history and the story of that one coin. It was fascinating to me, and made the world seem infinitely larger and of greater depth (even though I wouldn't have been able to describe that understanding then).

A few years later my uncle came from Chicago to visit. He was flashy and bold and seemed to know a lot about a lot. He showed me his pocket piece (a Morgan Dollar) and his Pinky Ring (a $2 1/2 Indian). He knew something about coins, because he took the time to explain a few things to me when I asked. And then, a few weeks after they left, my Mom gave each my brother and I a small box of coins and a book (an old blue book IIRC) that my Uncle had sent to us. Each of us received a Morgan Dollar, a couple Walking Liberties, a Standing Liberty and a couple of old Washington's, three Mercury Dimes and even a Barber. Two Buffalo Nickels, a few War Nickels. An Indian Cent and some early Wheaties.

Oh man! I almost memorized the book!! God only knows how many times I looked, and re-looked and looked again at those coins. I even wanted to know so much I convinced Mom to buy me a Coin magazine. That lasted about six months, until baseball season, and that girl Beth across the street.

Years later, when I was young buck in the Navy, my Mom sent me that box, and that book, and that magazine. Little did she know what that would do to me all those years later.

All that said ...

I would, have and will continue to do the following;

1. Talk to kids a little about the history of our coinage and paper money. Not serious history, but fun, interesting or unusual history. US or otherwise. Want to see some fascination? Show them a 3c copper nickel, and then show them a piece of fractional currency of the same. Sometimes it's easier with a wheat back, a buffalo or even a silver nickel.

A friend of mine has three girls. His oldest is going to be 8, and has shown a little interest. Ask her about Jefferson Nickels and she'll tell you about how during the war years that great grandpa fought in, they changed the metal because they needed nickel really bad, and you can tell, because of they way the mint-marked them on the back ... and you can still find them today in your change if you look ... and, and, and ... :)

1. Be ready to help find a book and seed a collection for them if they show real interest. Be able to be a sounding board for them as they move forward.

The fact I have done this is actually what pulled me back in to the fold again this last time, after a long hiatus.

Someone remembered me from when I had talked to and shown interest in a nephew's excitement when he found a buffalo nickel. They called me about a collection they had, and as soon as I left viewing it and helping with some suggestions, it got my mind back into this again.

It goes both ways.

If we give back it tends to come full circle.

In my opinion it doesn't have to be about the new, latest and greatest gadget. Kids have plenty of those. Just a spark to get them to look beyond what's in front of them this moment. It won't take for all of them ... but for the ones like us ... you never know how it will shape their lives.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2020 9:17PM

I will give my grandkids a coin to bring to school to show their teachers and the teachers show the class.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave out V-Nickels nickels and Indian Cents for Halloween 1 year when I lived in a gated community. I was remembered because the next year when I gave out candy it was brought up I had given old coins the last year. I probably would have given out coins the next year again but I moved.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I managed to get my nephew interested in coins, and he had a modest collection of wheaties and the SHQ's and some other coins (a Merc, two buffs etc.). Then came girls and college. He did talk a little about coins the last time I saw him...but now heading for marriage and his career...He will be back. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty much the routine for most. You collect as a kid and get excited. You get to the exciting parts of life and collecting takes a back seat until you’re older and established. Then one day you wake up and want to have a hobby all your own again. Then you hope your kids take an interest and start it all over again.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

A handful of foreign coins from a junk box is more than enough to get most kids under the age 10 excited. They’ll either take the bait or they won’t.

I am more interested in getting people ages 20 to 40 to stop just stacking silver and move into rare coins. They have disposable income, we just need to steer them more into our hobby.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I know B&M dealers that really like coins like these because they tell me this is what their YNs want.

Would you gift coins like these, or would you wait till they can appreciate classic coins?

If that's what they like, that's what I'd give.

If you're choosing gifts for others based on what you think they should like, you're doing it wrong. IMO, anyway.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a PCGS pop of 2/0, this is a super rare set.

Modern foreign is not rare

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    Yes!!! These pop 2/ two sets would be perfect for my two girls. But I seriously doubt they would like these type of flat boring coins. They are more artistic than that. :D

1 st place winner three years straight on the sidewalk chalk drawing contest.

Last year's photo

That's awesome! Congrats! It's great to see the kids active like that.

Have they show any interest in coins?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't started working on my brother's kids yet, but I think they could gain an appreciation for coins the same way I did. I grew up in the northern NJ suburbs, with Revolutionary War history all around. My entrance into collection was learning about that history and then history in general. My brother is in the Philly suburbs. There are old and historical houses all around. Downtown Philly is as important to US history as any spot in this country.

As far as the Frozen coins go, those are effectively medals with a design they might like. I could see them as something to enjoy when already a collector with an established interest in coins ("hey, I know you like coins and Frozen, so isn't this a neat little set?") But if you start with a set like that, I don't see where the broader interest in coins will come from--it's just another piece of movie memorabilia, and the fact that it's a "coin" is secondary at best.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

That's not necessarily true. These have a mintage of only 10,000, which is lower than most U.S. coinage of this or last century. While not "rare," it's more so than any of the "rare" Silver Eagles that sell for big bucks. And these are the same weight and fineness as those.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    edited June 7, 2020 5:29PM

@airplanenut said:
    I haven't started working on my brother's kids yet, but I think they could gain an appreciation for coins the same way I did. I grew up in the northern NJ suburbs, with Revolutionary War history all around. My entrance into collection was learning about that history and then history in general. My brother is in the Philly suburbs. There are old and historical houses all around. Downtown Philly is as important to US history as any spot in this country.

That's a great way to do it but some kids still need to be a bit older for that.

As far as the Frozen coins go, those are effectively medals with a design they might like. I could see them as something to enjoy when already a collector with an established interest in coins ("hey, I know you like coins and Frozen, so isn't this a neat little set?") But if you start with a set like that, I don't see where the broader interest in coins will come from--it's just another piece of movie memorabilia, and the fact that it's a "coin" is secondary at best.

I think it would go from: Disney to silver to classic coins. @kiyote mentioned silver stackers above and this could get kids to the silver stacker phase.

• Options
    edited June 7, 2020 5:06PM

@bidask said:

It's the set of 5 in a PCGS multi-holder that is rare as there are only 2. Sometimes multi-coin holders can only be done in bulk submissions which would make them hard to come by. While I thought the multi-coin holder would be nice, it's apparently not important at all.

I just asked if there was any interest in this today and the interest is through the roof. The reason keeping the coins together as a set isn't important is that it's more important to give different coins to different people.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@bidask said:

It's the set of 5 in a PCGS multi-holder that is rare as there are only 2.

Two at that level, with none higher. There could be several more in 69 and lower. What's the pop in that grade?

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    edited June 7, 2020 5:30PM

@JesseKraft said:

@Zoins said:

@bidask said:

It's the set of 5 in a PCGS multi-holder that is rare as there are only 2.

Two at that level, with none higher. There could be several more in 69 and lower. What's the pop in that grade?

For the set, just 2 in PCGS MS70 DCAM and 1 in PCGS MS69 DCAM. It's the last line below.

• Options

Even rarer in 69!
    While not my cup of tea, I can see getting these for a YN to give them their first "rare" coins. (Again, only 10,000 mintage per coin and 1 ounce of silver each).

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't make the mistake of giving rare coins as gifts to older children unless they already show interest in such things. In the case of very young children do not give numismatic gifts at all.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Don't make the mistake of giving rare coins as gifts to older children unless they already show interest in such things. In the case of very young children do not give numismatic gifts at all.

I totally agree.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few young cousins that I have given coins to before and they have shown an interest. I plan on giving them each a few world coins and a morgan dollar soon. In addition, they will receive a red book. Hopefully it will inspire them to become collectors now or later in their lives.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best gift is always CASH.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft said:
    Even rarer in 69!
    While not my cup of tea, I can see getting these for a YN to give them their first "rare" coins. (Again, only 10,000 mintage per coin and 1 ounce of silver each).

10k is not rare for foreign moderns. The Canadian and UK mints have loads of coins in the low thousand montages that they have trouble selling out. Low montage does not equal rare if unpopular

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps sign up for the one hour panel discussion, "Engaging Young Collectors Now and in Years to Come," which is being held by 4 YNs on June 29 as part of the ANA eLearning academy. I'd think their insight would give plenty of ideas without having to stray into silly products with licensed characters.

• Options

@3stars said:

@JesseKraft said:
    Even rarer in 69!

10k is not rare for foreign moderns. The Canadian and UK mints have loads of coins in the low thousand montages that they have trouble selling out. Low montage does not equal rare if unpopular

Rarity has nothing to do with popularity or sales figures. I agree that there are many coins with mintages in the low thousands or even into the hundreds that sell for a few bucks (when they sell), but that fact has nothing to do with how many exist which is the marker of rarity. Rarity ≠ value.

Under your logic, the 1909-S VDB is rarer than these coins just because it's worth more, which is simply not true. More people want to own the S VDB, sure, but that doesn't mean it's more rare just because it's more valuable. Go to a coin show and you can easily find 10, 20, or more '09 S VDBs on the bourse floor. How many of these will you find?

Just to be clear, I don't think that 10,000 of anything is particularly "rare," which is why I used quotes around that word in this case, but compared to 99.9% of the mintage figures from the U.S. Mint, these are relatively rare. (Relatively being a key word here.)

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a kid expresses an interest in any coins at all, even the ones in the first post, I'd think that's half the battle right there. Why would you risk discouraging them by telling them they shouldn't want those coins and try to get them to want what you think they should?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    That's awesome! Congrats! It's great to see the kids active like that.

Have they show any interest in coins?

My older one, the one in picture enjoys the creativity and designs of coins especially the older dark side.
    My youngest likes more of the history and stories behind each coin whenever my wife has the time to explained to her like a bed time story. lol :D

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2020 7:40PM

The ANA is committed to getting youngsters involved in coin collecting. We have programs where youngsters can earn world coins, ancient coins, early American copper coins and even silver dollars. The one stipulation is that the ANA believes that youngsters must earn their coins, they (the ANA) do not give them away.

Here is a link to all of the YN programs available: https://www.money.org/young-numismatists

• Options
    edited June 8, 2020 5:42PM

Do you mean:

The one stipulation is that the ANA believes that youngsters must earn their coins, they do not receive them as gifts

In the original line, "the ANA believes that youngsters must earn their coins, they do not give them away." I don't see why YNs couldn't give away coins that they earned!

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

May be my kids are still too young and can be easily manipulate. But by not offering their main focus from the start, it may prevent them to progress and make it fun.

As I mentioned, one of my daughter loves arts. I just can't imagine taking away her paint brushes first until she knows what she is painting. Coloring tools are a must. Beside visiting the museums every couple weeks, the coins I gave her also help with creativity and brain storming on her next project.

Another proud example of mine.

Every kid are into video games. So I decided to buy bunch of anime RPG (role playing game) that require a lot of reading and problem solving. On that on that, I provided walkthrough /cheats book to help them whenever they got stuck in the game. Either way, everything require more reading. As a result, both of my girls exceeded their reading grade level.

Yes I am a evil dad. lol

• Options
    edited August 15, 2020 3:35PM

I just got an unsolicited like for this 1897 token. I guess I should have picked up more of them!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my goodness, I just looked at some of these on eBay and the premium/price for an ounce of silver is HUGE!!!! I have a 9 year old daughter and thought it might be a good item to add to her collection that I started collecting with her.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    If a kid expresses an interest in any coins at all, even the ones in the first post, I'd think that's half the battle right there. Why would you risk discouraging them by telling them they shouldn't want those coins and try to get them to want what you think they should?

This.

There is no wrong way to collect. If your kid (or wife) wants nothing but Disney coins from around the world, I don't see the problem.

Frankly, date/mm are pretty boring with all those identical coins. Better to have a different Disney princess on each one.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's taken me 65 years to find a good hiding place in coins. I don't want to spoil the fun for kids.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been working with my 13-year-old son recently.

I am trying to get him interested in coins, not by getting him interested in coins, but by getting him interested in the business of coins.

A different approach that perhaps may work :)

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 15 year old loves history. Morgans as one of the primary currencies of the Wild West was an easy fit and he was hooked.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file