Home Sports Talk
Options

We might as well do a football Mount Rushmore

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are the four players on your football Mount Rushmore?

Comments

• Options

Tom Brady
    Barry Sanders
    Ronnie Lott
    Jerry Rice

In case anyone questions my Ronnie Lott choice, he had his finger amputated just so he could play, and with that kind of insanity and passion to play, he goes on my Mount Rushmore any day of the week. He also delivered bone crushing hits and offensive players feared him, he's my kind of player!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady, Barrie Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Rice
    Lawrence Taylor

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Tom Brady
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Rice
    Lawrence Taylor

Yep, this would be mine, too.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 5:10PM

Lawrence Taylor
    Alan Page
    Joe Montana
    Walter Payton

Honorable Mention (I almost feel like it needs to be four peaks in a mountain range with all the positions)

Lance Alworth
    Jonathan Ogden
    Tom Brady
    Jerry Rice

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football doesn't lend itself to a top 4, it seems to me. Ideally, it would have 2 players from offense and 2 from defense, but 2 players isn't enough to cover either one (QB, RB, WR, OL and DB, LB, DL). So, the following are the first four names that came to mind, and I like these 4 as much as any other 4:

Don Hutson
    Jim Brown
    Johnny Unitas
    Alan Page

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

In honor of Dime ...

Roger Staubach
    Emmitt Smith
    Jason Witten
    Tony Romo

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walter Payton
    Mean Joe Greene
    Terry Bradshaw
    John Elway

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady
    Barry Sanders
    Lawrence Taylor
    Jerry Rice

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

From what I read on the other board Mr Dime is no longer allowed to play in the sandbox. Hopefully it’s only a temporary time out as I enjoy bantering during football season and he has an incredible eye for coins.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see Allan Page getting mentioned.

Here's my picks;
    Joe Montana
    Jim Brown
    Dick Butkus
    Allan Page

Hated to leave Rice off my list, Brady as well.........so many more.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    From what I read on the other board Mr Dime is no longer allowed to play in the sandbox. Hopefully it’s only a temporary time out as I enjoy bantering during football season and he has an incredible eye for coins.

Sadly, I doubt this is a temporary, though what he posted was far more mild than others in that thread.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@2dueces said:

Sadly, I doubt this is a temporary, though what he posted was far more mild than others in that thread.

Too bad. I’ve been here 15 years and have seen some of the sharpest wits banned. Many were controversial but damn they could spin a reply. Now who the heck am I going to rib about America’s Team? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@2dueces said:

Too bad. I’ve been here 15 years and have seen some of the sharpest wits banned. Many were controversial but damn they could spin a reply. Now who the heck am I going to rib about America’s Team? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

The group of regular posters gets smaller and smaller every year. It’s too bad but everyone here is a guest.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2020 6:36AM

I've seen a few members get zapped, 1970s and coinstartled. I'm sure they'll sneak back in someday.

• Options

More than a few in my time here. Fortunately or unfortunately less and less leeway is afforded long time members. I was threatened with a time out just for posting a photo of the perkies. One of them was a sports reporter later in life. Can’t remember his name off the top of my head but his byline was “I’d hit it”. Controversial yes but quick witted and funny as sh&t. He was bounced off of every board he and I were on together.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    More than a few in my time here. Fortunately or unfortunately less and less leeway is afforded long time members. I was threatened with a time out just for posting a photo of the perkies. One of them was a sports reporter later in life. Can’t remember his name off the top of my head but his byline was “I’d hit it”. Controversial yes but quick witted and funny as sh&t. He was bounced off of every board he and I were on together.

Yep I sadly remember the days of the “Perkies” old school CU members remember them as do I. I remember one day getting a stern PM from a Mod saying “Remove your sigline”. That was it. I felt his fury so I sadly deleted it. I’ve associated with the new Mod on a private message board and he is a great guy with pretty tempered leeway, much more than others but he has a job to do and I respect him. The guys that got booted had received warnings and they still hung themselves, it is what it is. Before him the Mod that was policing the boards was legit very strict and massive amounts of red was swathed out across these forums. Either way it’s a pretty simple process, post responsibly and your going to be ok. 🍻

• Options

@2dueces PM sent

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Too many positions on a football team to only select 4. Looking at the lists above, just about all OL have been excluded. only a few defensive players listed as well. Unfortunately, like I did at first, we pick the skill position players. Heck, I could go with 4 QB's and still have a stellar quartet.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Too many positions on a football team to only select 4. Looking at the lists above, just about all OL have been excluded. only a few defensive players listed as well. Unfortunately, like I did at first, we pick the skill position players. Heck, I could go with 4 QB's and still have a stellar quartet.

I picked the best(?) QB in the passing era, the best RB in the running era and the best two defensive players I have ever seen.

I couldn't pick a DB as one of the top guys, as a lot of them weren't physically involved in every play. Same thing with receivers.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

For the QB's, RB's and WR's to succeed, you need those big bodies up front and in my mind, to leave them out is just not right.
    Just can't narrow it down to four and feel good about it.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    For the QB's, RB's and WR's to succeed, you need those big bodies up front and in my mind, to leave them out is just not right.
    Just can't narrow it down to four and feel good about it.

There’s a popularity element to it, surely, but I think 2 D and 2 O is the way to go. Half the fun is encountering a name you may not have already. Want to throw out Willie Roaf? Go for it. Still gives you another 0 or two d. Or whatever combination you want!

It’s not going on your tombstone.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I'd go

Brady
    Jim Brown
    Anthony Munoz
    L Taylor

• Options

Munoz = beast

I have heard Boomer Esaison he’s the best football player he ever played with or against. High praise.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Munoz = beast

I have heard Boomer Esaison he’s the best football player he ever played with or against. High praise.

I remember he played against those great Steeler defenses. The Bengals were amost always able to muster consistent offense against them; he was one of the reasons

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Tom Brady
    Jerry Rice
    Lawrence Taylor
    Jim Brown

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Tough one to pick just 4....but I tend to collect the skilled positions so I'll go that route. But I have to choose 2 QBs, 1 modern era one overall

Tom Brady - modern
    Otto Graham - overall just look at his records
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Rice

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone not putting Jim Brown on there doesn't know chit about football.

Jim Brown
    Dick Butkus
    Joe Montana
    Chuck Bednarik

• Options

@stevek said:
    Anyone not putting Jim Brown on there doesn't know chit about football.

Jim Brown
    Dick Butkus
    Joe Montana
    Chuck Bednarik

🙄

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

L.T.
    Jim brown
    Jerry Rice
    Thomas Brady Bundchen

• Options

@stevek said:
    Anyone not putting LT on there doesn't know chit about football.

Fixed it for SteveK

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a bit of thinking for the Mount. Rushmore list, but have we ever thought of a villain bad dude type for the Mount Rushmore list?

Conrad Dobler
    Ray Nitschke
    Rich Jackson - Tombstone
    Jack Tatum - The Assassin

Now the good guys:
    Johnny Unitas
    Bob Lilly
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Buck Buchanan

Or even:
    Vince Lombardi
    Tom Landry
    Lamar Hunt
    George Halas

Although seeing Griese’s glasses on Mt. Rush would be kind of cool to see, I really wanted to add: Payton, Lambert, Lott, Page, Lamonica, Alworth, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Blanda, Bednarik, Montana, Stabler, Blount, Taylor, Dawson, Brady, Rodgers, Lane and Layne; The list is endless.
    We could be here for days typing on this one.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roman Gabriel
    Ray Guy
    Joe Montana
    Fred Biletnikoff

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I did a bit of thinking for the Mount. Rushmore list, but have we ever thought of a villain bad dude type for the Mount Rushmore list?

Conrad Dobler
    Ray Nitschke
    Rich Jackson - Tombstone
    Jack Tatum - The Assassin

Now the good guys:
    Johnny Unitas
    Bob Lilly
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Buck Buchanan

Or even:
    Vince Lombardi
    Tom Landry
    Lamar Hunt
    George Halas

Although seeing Griese’s glasses on Mt. Rush would be kind of cool to see, I really wanted to add: Payton, Lambert, Lott, Page, Lamonica, Alworth, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Blanda, Bednarik, Montana, Stabler, Blount, Taylor, Dawson, Brady, Rodgers, Lane and Layne; The list is endless.
    We could be here for days typing on this one.

Welcome to Sports Talk!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

to do it right, there really should be a rushmore by position, or at least one for offense and one for defense.

here is mine. I think all four were the greatest to play their positions, and those positions are vital to success.

L. Taylor
    Hog Hannah
    Jim Brown
    Tom Brady

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I feel OL is sadly underrated. the most important unit on a team. John Hannah was the best to ever play the position.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I feel OL is sadly underrated. the most important unit on a team. John Hannah was the best to ever play the position.

I am not sure how you'd pick the best 4, but I believe that Will Shields and Willie Roaf would at least be in the conversation for a spot on an OL themed Mount Rushmore.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

He was great, for sure, and a fine candidate for GOAT. Bruce Matthews is another, although the Oilers moved him around quite a bit and I don't recall how many years/games he played guard. Put Jim Otto between those two and you could win a Super Bowl with any random fan playing QB. And then that random fan would win the Super Bowl MVP because nobody understands how football is played.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough question. I'll go QB, RB, WR, and defensive player: Tom Brady, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor

My criteria: these are the guys I will tell my grandchildren about...lol

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

He was great, for sure, and a fine candidate for GOAT. Bruce Matthews is another, although the Oilers moved him around quite a bit and I don't recall how many years/games he played guard. Put Jim Otto between those two and you could win a Super Bowl with any random fan playing QB. And then that random fan would win the Super Bowl MVP because nobody understands how football is played.

You need to stop talking like this. You always downplay the QB position and each time you sound more and more ridiculous. So adding Jim Otto to the Oilers with Bruce Mathews would mean an auto Super Bowl win with JaMarcus Russell at QB? That would cover the “any random fan” I mean that’s what you said and I’m starting to think you actually believe it. Nobody should ever discount that OL is a very important top tier position, I’ve always said OL, DB and QB are the 3 most important positions in football. Good QB’s don’t just sit back and robotically hand the ball
    off or throw the ball. They make decisions under duress, they audible by reading defenses and adjust to defensive adjustments, they make throws that are based on split second timing, I don’t think you realize how important the QB position is. Your boy Ken Anderson was great but apparently in your way of thinking the Bengals would have challenged SF for the Super Bowl trophy that year with just any QB, it had absolutely nothing to do with Ken right?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

You need to stop talking like this. You always downplay the QB position and each time you sound more and more ridiculous. So adding Jim Otto to the Oilers with Bruce Mathews would mean an auto Super Bowl win with JaMarcus Russell at QB? That would cover the “any random fan” I mean that’s what you said and I’m starting to think you actually believe it. Nobody should ever discount that OL is a very important top tier position, I’ve always said OL, DB and QB are the 3 most important positions in football. Good QB’s don’t just sit back and robotically hand the ball
    off or throw the ball. They make decisions under duress, they audible by reading defenses and adjust to defensive adjustments, they make throws that are based on split second timing, I don’t think you realize how important the QB position is. Your boy Ken Anderson was great but apparently in your way of thinking the Bengals would have challenged SF for the Super Bowl trophy that year with just any QB, it had absolutely nothing to do with Ken right?

This is correct. OL is the most important unit, but I do not understand Dallas´ agenda with downplaying the QB position. It is certainly the most important in football and probably in all of sports. It is asinine to state that even with the greatest OL any random fan could win a SB.

Dallas has an agenda here, I am just not sure what it is yet

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

This is correct. OL is the most important unit, but I do not understand Dallas´ agenda with downplaying the QB position. It is certainly the most important in football and probably in all of sports. It is asinine to state that even with the greatest OL any random fan could win a SB.

I agree with the sentiment that an offensive line is more important than a quarterback. There is a significant amount of evidence to support this. A QB very often has a mountain of support that is involved in success often erroneously attributed to the QB.

I am not saying any guy out of the stands can win a Super Bowl - that’s a bridge too far and likely hyperbole - but there me be no position in sport that gets more undue credit than the quarterback of a football team.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

I agree with the sentiment that an offensive line is more important than a quarterback. There is a significant amount of evidence to support this. A QB very often has a mountain of support that is involved in success often erroneously attributed to the QB.

I am not saying any guy out of the stands can win a Super Bowl - that’s a bridge too far and likely hyperbole - but there me be no position in sport that gets more undue credit than the quarterback of a football team.

Yea nobody is disagreeing with that fact that OL is an important and thankless job. But let’s just stop this foolishness saying any QB can have a successful career behind a few HOF Offensive Lineman, let alone carry a team to the Super Bowl.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

Yea nobody is disagreeing with that fact that OL is an important and thankless job. But let’s just stop this foolishness saying any QB can have a successful career behind a few HOF Offensive Lineman, let alone carry a team to the Super Bowl.

Even if it has already happened?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

Ok enlighten me and tell me which mediocre QB had a successful career with just great a OL.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:

@craig44 said:

Ok enlighten me and tell me which mediocre QB had a successful career with just great a OL.

Well, I certainly don’t hold the opinion that he is but many would hold up Eli Manning as a guy who is everything you just said.

As for further proof, I would say that anytime you see a team win with two different QBs and mostly the same line you have to wonder. Perhaps most obviously with Mark Rypien and Doug Williams, but also Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler, and even Montana and Young.

In every case there were two different QBs and the team didn’t really miss a beat. Now granted, there’s some really good QBs just mentioned and I’m not minimizing their play or skill. But their lines were crazy good, intact for a while and when healthy, I can’t say it didn’t matter who was under center but when you can run the ball effectively (line) and give your QB time (line), the QB - whomever it is - gets the chance to look great.

Additionally, most audibles are also selected by the coordinator and not pulled from the deep recesses of the playbook. Centers often adjust the protection of the line - in some cases independent of the QB - but it will look like nothing happened or the QB gets credit. The coach and coordinator in the headset offers lots of information in the 10-15 seconds they have the QB and what he’s told (and not told) can make him shine (or look foolish) where once again the outcome is on the field and the QB is often credited and owns it.

I also think of guys like David Carr and Andrew Luck who had incredible talent but were left unprotected and couldn’t overcome it.

Not positive I’m right, Paul; just an observation and different perspective on things.

• Options

@perkdog

I’m not going to sit here and make the case he’s mediocre, mind you, but the difference between Eli Manning with and without a line is there and stark and to be digested. I mean, he won two SuperBowls each with a spectacular (and similar) line and went on to basically be an NFL punchline as the guys protecting him retired or left and were nowhere near adequately replaced.

WITH ALMOST NO PHYSICAL DETERIORATION OF ANY KIND.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Debate like this is part of what makes sports so great. Disagree and discuss all you want. Let's just leave the name-calling out of it from here forward. Thanks!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium Nice counter points Tim. I appreciate your knowledge and views as I do @dallasactuary for the most part and don’t disagree with most of what you guys are saying. But an elite QB is going to give you the better chance to win more consistently than a Mediocre QB, no matter how we draw it up. Rypien, Williams and co had great runs and obviously the fact that they didn’t get killed like David Carr absolutely made a huge difference but neither QB left a Mark as an all time consistent winner compared to top tier QB’s. Eli was a very good QB I always thought, I believe in the term “Clutch” even though a lot of people don’t but Eli was a winner and performed when it mattered more times than not, don’t forget his D was pretty damn significant too.