Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Price Difference

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the inventory of Sarosota Numismatics and stumbled onto the following:

Two $20 High Relief Wire Edge St Gaudens coins. Both PCGS. The PCGS 63 was CAC and priced at $26,500. The other was graded PCGS 64---a full point higher but not CAC. It was priced at $20,500. The lower graded coin was priced a full 30% higher.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you ... but don't understand the phenomenon.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CAC sticker does command a premium, and the lack of a sticker (same supplier, same time) indicates it may not have been worthy of a sticker - thereby downgrading it in the opinion of sellers/buyers. Of course, not seeing the coins in hand, that is just my opinion...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    No brainer for me as I'd take the 64.

Totally agree. If it was a nice coin and properly graded, so would I. Definitely a no brainer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

So one coin has an insert with 64 on it, but is that grade appropriate, or is it possible that it is too high? Before CAC appeared on the scene, gradeflation had hit Saints pretty hard.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Which coin is nicer?

I think this is the correct question. It seems to me that the seller has priced the coins based on the coins rather than what is on the label

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a new company.
    NBG
    No Brainer Grading. >:)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:
    Which coin is nicer?

I think this is the correct question. It seems to me that the seller has priced the coins based on the coins rather than what is on the label

He has.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:
    Which coin is nicer?

I agree. If the dealer is pricing the exact same coin with a higher grade at a lower price than the example he has in inventory a point lower, there is a reason for this.
    And it is not entirely CAC

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take the 64 as well. Well worth it

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Some people esteem the bean to an extreme.

Seems many know what you mean.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not surprised that the 63 is priced higher than the 64. The 63 is a terrific looking higher end 63 with a CAC sticker while the 64 looks like another run of the mill 64.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

That’s true, but it might not be the main reason for the price disparity in this particular case.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

That’s true, but it might not be the main reason for the price disparity in this particular case.

It might not. No way to really know without looking at them. We don’t really know the story of the pricing. It may be a typo.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 obviously. I wonder about the time frame between the grading of these two.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 63 looks like an older holder based solely on the gasket.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    The 63 looks like an older holder based solely on the gasket.

You mean the 64, I presume.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 11:36AM

All interesting comments. Then too the pricing may have more to do with what someone had into the coin and/or if on consignment what the respective seller(s) wanted.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 63 looks to be a better coin.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I would pick the 63 from the images above, all else equal. The left obverse field on the 64 is distracting

I agree. I would pick the 63.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 1:28PM

What we don't know is if the 64 been submitted to CAC as a 63 whether it would also have garnered a bean and now be priced equally.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were looking at them as raw coins, I would take the 63. But again that’s just from photos.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO from the pictures the 63 is leaps and bounds better than the 64! Distracting marks on the 64 which the 63 doesn't have and a weak reverse rim at the top on the 64 the 63 doesn't have. Begs the question why hasn't the 63 send in for an upgrade? The 64 looks like a 62 to me!

• Options
    edited May 31, 2020 2:32PM

@amwldcoin said:
    IMHO from the pictures the 63 is leaps and bounds better than the 64! Distracting marks on the 64 which the 63 doesn't have and a weak reverse rim at the top on the 64 the 63 doesn't have. Begs the question why hasn't the 63 send in for an upgrade? The 64 looks like a 62 to me!

Just because the 63 looks great next to a (possibly overgraded) 64 doesn't mean it's necessarily worthy of an upgrade.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:55PM

The 63 looks like the better coin, but I'd still pick the 64 at the lower price.

Why?

Because alot of collectors still want the higher graded coin without regard as to how the coin looks.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 63 looks better but I don't know how a judgement can be made based on pictures that have different lighting. At least I cannot. Maybe it is my lack of experience.

Vplite99
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me just say I do not like the 63 $6,000.00. more than the 64. At the same price I would probably choose the 63 but would need to see both coins in hand.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    Let me just say I do not like the 63 $6,000.00. more than the 64. At the same price I would probably choose the 63 but would need to see both coins in hand.

Do you like the 64 $6,000 less than the 63?

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ironmanl63 said:

Do you like the 64 $6,000 less than the 63?

In hand I very well might. From the photos I like the 63 better. I just can't say it is worth $6,000 more than the 64. 6 grand is not chump change to me. Which is why I do not own a high relief. I do love the design just a bit out of my price range.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion. If this were a GTG thread I would have said 63 on the "64" and 65 on the "63". The lighting differences do not help with reading the coins but I think the 63 has a better strike.

My questions is why is the 63 graded 63. I am not a gold collector but I see few marks to justify a 63. But if it was a 65 CAC should have slapped some more gold on it.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many dates/mm in gold are rare in CAC. I am not a gold person at all, so I would trust JA's opinion or DW's over mine, all day every day. If I were to put together a gold type or date set as a long term keeper set, I would likely insist on CAC. From reading the many threads on this forum and other references I believe there is a tremendous quantity of processed and doctored gold...no thank you.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't so uncommon to find a nicer coin in a 63 holder than other coins that find themselves in a 64, 65, or even occasionally a 66 holder. Some are under-graded, some are over-graded, and some are just inconsistently graded. The price guides are overly rigid in my experience and they're just guides. Really nice coins sell for more than guide prices all the time and the dogs sell for way less all the time.

For example, every guide in the world shows a higher price for MS60 than AU58. Depending on the series, most of us would take a nice 58 over an average 62 day of the week.

Live and die by the guide book prices, especially in the realm of condition rarities, and you'll be getting all sorts of "deals" that really aren't.

Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for a coin that everyone thinks might be under-graded. They're so much easier to get the money back out of at sale time.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    The 63 looks like the better coin, but I'd still pick the 64 at the lower price.

Why?

Because alot of collectors still want the higher graded coin without regard as to how the coin looks.

It sounds exhausting, and not particularly rewarding, to build a collection based on perceptions of what other people like.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 4:55PM

There's a reason PCGS only gave it a 63. I bet there are numerous hairlines that show up when the coin is rotated under a halogen light that just don't show up in a photograph. I've seen these type of coins before. They look great until you rotate them under a bright light and the hairline scratches jump out at you. I'll reserve judgement on these two coins until I can examine them in hand. Trust me when I say the grading services don't like hairline scratches.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Why?

It sounds exhausting, and not particularly rewarding, to build a collection based on perceptions of what other people like.

I should have clarified my statement by saying 'for financial reasons only' I'd pick the 64.

If I was building a collection, I agree that I would probably choose the 63.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 5:02PM

You know what sounds exhausting as a collector? Worrying about what you'll be able to sell a coin for, before you've even bought it. But then, that's just me.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so let's look at this logically.

--- MS63/CAC. Just rationalizing what has been posted here about CAC over the years it is fair to assume that this coin is indeed an MS63, would not upgrade to MS64 but is choice for the assigned grade.
    --- MS64. All we can assume about this coin is that it was graded MS64 by PCGS, once. Has it been to CAC and failed or has it not been to CAC?? We don't know either, so let's assume the worst case: that it would fail if submitted to CAC and if re-submitted to PCGS would down-grade to MS63 along with a compensation check. If submitted to CAC it is probably safe to say it would pass.

the above scenario returns us to two coins, each graded MS63/CAC and priced $6,000 apart. even if the one coin was submitted to CAC after the re-grade and failed one things is undeniable --- the added price is due to the CAC sticker.each coin as an MS63 absent a sticker, do you really think one is properly valued at $6,000 higher?? :#

• Options

@keets , I think it might be presumptuous to assume that the 64 would certainly get a sticker as a 63.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

no more presumptuous than making judgments off pictures. to that end, I will "presume" that the images make the MS63 look better than it is and that they make the MS64 look worse than it is.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 9:04AM

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    No brainer for me as I'd take the 64.

And for the 8 members (so far) that agreed with this comment, at this level of high pricing for both coins, I’d think you would first want to look closer at each coin, and not just automatically go for a coin in a slab with a higher grade.
    1. Do you typically buy problematic coins at what appears to be “bargain” pricing? Many comments below this quoted post seem to indicate that the coin graded 64 has “issues”.
    2. The key question that should be asked in the example made by the OP is “What’s wrong with the 64 that caused it not to merit a CAC?” At this price point, there’s no reason the prior owner and dealer would not spend $15 to get a CAC if indeed it truly merited one. So why didn’t the 64 merit a CAC? Was it “low end”/C for the grade? Was it actually overgraded? Were the surfaces “messed with” in a manner that is acceptable to PCGS but not JA at CAC? These are the true questions to be asked.

@CoinJunkie said:
    @keets , I think it might be presumptuous to assume that the 64 would certainly get a sticker as a 63.

I fully agree with @CoinJunkie . Most Saints at the 63 level DON’T merit a CAC. To cement this point, PCGS and NGC have graded a total of 1,764 of these as either MS63 or 63+. Not surprisingly, only 108 of those merit a CAC!!! That’s only about 6%, hence the higher price for that real nice, special MS63 that merited a CAC!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    so let's look at this logically.

--- MS63/CAC. Just rationalizing what has been posted here about CAC over the years it is fair to assume that this coin is indeed an MS63, would not upgrade to MS64 but is choice for the assigned grade.
    --- MS64. All we can assume about this coin is that it was graded MS64 by PCGS, once. Has it been to CAC and failed or has it not been to CAC?? We don't know either, so let's assume the worst case: that it would fail if submitted to CAC and if re-submitted to PCGS would down-grade to MS63 along with a compensation check. If submitted to CAC it is probably safe to say it would pass.

the above scenario returns us to two coins, each graded MS63/CAC and priced $6,000 apart. even if the one coin was submitted to CAC after the re-grade and failed one things is undeniable --- the added price is due to the CAC sticker.each coin as an MS63 absent a sticker, do you really think one is properly valued at $6,000 higher?? :#

Other factors which could affect the asking prices are the dealer’s cost in the two coins (assuming he’s owns both of them outright) as well as what he thinks of them.

Just for fun, let’s try this without considering the opinions of CAC or PCGS...based solely upon the pictures, what would you grade and what value would you assign to each coin?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@keets said:
    no more presumptuous than making judgments off pictures. to that end, I will "presume" that the images make the MS63 look better than it is and that they make the MS64 look worse than it is.

Where did I presume that (definitive) judgments can be made off pictures? I was merely pointing out the possibility that your thesis contained a logical fallacy.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 63 looks nicer to me. The obverse of the 64 is very poor for a 63 let alone a 64, If I saw the 64 raw I would grade it 61-62. But I am basing this on pics of a series I know nothing about. ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt touch a NGC coin without a sticker. Been there done that and could write a book. I used to believe in buy the coin not the holder. I used to pay up for coins in a NGC holder. Then I tried to sell some of them. Major haircut. NGC coins without a sticker? It’s like having cooties. I have exactly one NGC medal. I keep that medal in quarantine and away from my other coins. That’s the market like it or not. So that Saint pricing makes perfect sense. I may not buy that 63 but for sure I wouldn’t even consider that 64.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file