Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade. Toned $20 St Gaudens. TrueView posted.

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2020 7:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just picked this up today. I have not seen many toned St Gaudens, so had to buy it when I saw it! It's a decent date, too. I hope to try crossing it to PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hm, nice coin. Interesting color. Good luck with the cross!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m no expert but I’ve never seen gold look like that. Good luck to you.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember ever seeing a Saint with that much toning. Good luck with PCGS and let us know what grade they give it. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is a Saint for Memorial Day weekend!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a crossover to PCGS is a long shot. Hope I'm wrong.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

Why? Do you think it's not an AU55?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m one of those guys that likes it.
    Good luck with the crossover.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The piece does not look original to me. AU details. It looks doctored to me.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Why? Do you think it's not an AU55?

The surfaces look rather funky. I tried to cross a couple of ANACS bust halves with darker (somewhat "burnt") toning several years ago and wasn't successful. I'm not saying PCGS won't cross it, but I wouldn't be expecting it. AU55 seems reasonable from the perspective of wear.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has been artificially colored....I do not think PCGS will straight grade it....Let us know if you submit it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That coin has been artificially colored....I do not think PCGS will straight grade it....Let us know if you submit it. Cheers, RickO

I think there’s an excellent chance that the coin hasn’t been artificially toned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

supposed color issues are likely related with the photo editing/software. Natural coin and I think it will easily cross, possible 58.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ricko said:

I think there’s an excellent chance that the coin hasn’t been artificially toned.

More likely it was stored for a long time in a leather pouch or purse possibly in an attic or basement with a high humidity.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic $20. I’ve seen a few straight graded PCGS examples with similar toning. Keep us in the loop if you try to cross her. Great looking gold!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Luster looks really strong. I retract my earlier comment about a crossover being a long shot. :)

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    That toning gives that coin character and it's far more interesting to look at than the thousands of dipped out Saints that have been slabbed. I don't see anything that would preclude it from straight grading at PCGS. If it were my coin, I would just leave it in its ICG slab since I agree with the grade of AU55. Sometimes it's about the coin.

I agree with you but that doesn’t change that many are attracted to the liquidity boost that having their coins in PCGS holder bring if not outright additional value.

Also while the ICG Holder is aligned at what I consider the value of the coin to be as a Cir (Gold $ tied) type generic, I don’t think anyone would disagree that having the coin in a PCGS holder would be a key step to obtaining a toning premium upon resale.

If that coin is worth a toning premium, I make no call as any toning premium past normal PQ eye appeal territory for the pretty crowd never made sense to me. Especially on generics. If a rarity is also a rarity in the looks department...ok all bets are off but guys paying used car prices for 81s because of pretty colors.... I don’t get it :#

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Luster looks really strong. I retract my earlier comment about a crossover being a long shot. :)

To clarify, I just want a straight grade in a PCGS holder. I did not care if it crossed at grade.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@CoinJunkie said:

To clarify, I just want a straight grade in a PCGS holder. I did not care if it crossed at grade.

I don’t see that grading or crossing. But I would almost guarantee it wouldn’t cross. If you really want it graded, crack and let them hit it with the sniffer. Best chance

My 2c & JMHO

• Options

@Crypto said:

@jwitten said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I don’t see that grading or crossing. But I would almost guarantee it wouldn’t cross. If you really want it graded, crack and let them hit it with the sniffer. Best chance

My 2c & JMHO

It has a very similar look to the top pop 1924... These colors do happen on gold, just rare.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ricko said:

There is also an excellent chance PCGS won’t holder it due to it’s status as an outlier regardless of origin simply as a conservative posture for future liability due to the niche’s history of abuse.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some killer toned gold pieces!

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

I like it and it's a nice change from many of the generic looking Saints. If it were me, I'd leave it be unless
    I were to sell it.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice. crack it and maybe a 58

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks better in the video for sure. I think it might end up in a PCGS holder, but it’s going to be uphill sledding to try it as a crossover. Graders will take the easy route if in doubt.

• Options

The last auction record for a PCGS AU55 was around current spot and this is ICG after all. Crack it and submit as raw.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2020 12:53AM

@Crypto said:

@jwitten said:

@CoinJunkie said:

My 2c & JMHO

Does PCGS even use the "sniffer" anymore? @BrettPCGS

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

@coinlieutenant said:
    Cool coin.

I think the coin will likely straight grade.

I would crack and submit raw. Coin is cool either way. Icg means nothing.

J

Here is an indian (Pcgs AU55 CAC) for those that think extreme toned gold is fake.

I still regret selling that one! One of the best Eagles out there.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would have a better chance of cracking it out and getting a straight grade or even an upgrade, than sending it in that holder for a cross. If not, then just leave it, and enjoy. B)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020 12:33PM

It would be cool if you could figure out some way of drawing out more of the purple like your 29 Indian.

Now that I'm basically done with my serious saint set, I'm starting to purchase interesting ones like yours.
    I picked up a spotted one recently that I'd like to have a better picture of.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ever cross it to PCGS?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw this in the first go-round. Looks like maybe a leather pouch stored coin. While gold itself doesn't tone, isn't pure gold, and the alloys in it do.
    I've noticed that circulated gold tends to tone more vividly than unc coins, or is it just me?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

If it crosses, do you think it will get a green bean?

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Did you ever cross it to PCGS?

Not yet. I have vouchers that expire in November, so it will be at least by then. I may try getting it sent off pretty soon.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 7:34AM

Don’t like the 1914 $20 looks like dipped in laquer. Expect a details grade on cross....if not AT.

So dull looking / body bag on this one? Such an unnatural look for Saint.

Start it on the Bay at melt and get rid of it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Don’t like the 1914 $20 looks like dipped in laquer. Expect a details grade on cross....if not AT.

So dull looking / body bag on this one? Such an unnatural look for Saint.

Dull looking? Did you watch the video showing the luster?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file