Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does an AU58 with Gold CAC sticker mean?

A recent thread, "Please post a nice AU58 grade coin" had a coin with a Gold CAC sticker. Exactly what does that mean? Does CAC think it does not have any wear and is really an Mint State Coin. If so, do they think it is one grade higher - MS60? (Hope not) Or are they market grading it and think it is worth more than AU58 money? But then where is it on the price scale? MS61, MS62, MS63, higher? Leaves a lot of room for guessing.
Thoughts.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
Life member of ANA

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint State something.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a large cent in pcgs 55 cac gold that would regrade 62

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means that someone paid far more than what he could he could have paid if he got one not having a gold sticker. The only place I've seen major grading question marks is dealing with open collar coins. Capped Bust Halves come to mind.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Means you should be able to get an AU58+ out of it, which I have seen sell for more than a MS65.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Actually there were a few. There was also an 1872 1/2 dime.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That dime doesn't suck.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    That dime doesn't suck.

I bet you could use your magic to make that coin really beautiful. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Outhaul said:
    That dime doesn't suck.

I bet you could use your magic to make that coin really beautiful. ;)

No way; I'd leave THAT one just as is.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info!

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

You get a nice "Flapper" with those gold stickers!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 6:24PM

It means it's worth more to the cacs collectors then if the coin straight graded a 63. A true 58 but got the cacs (which is somehow interpreted that JA thinks its a 60) is worth more than a true 63 that JA thinks is a 63 with no sticker. It's like a beanie baby that's missing the tag. It's Whacked!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those we've handled, they look MS-61/MS-62. MS-60 isn't really a grade given out these days.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin (Hawaii 10c) should grade at least MS64,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures of that Hawaii dime make it look like a proof to me.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 10:14PM

@HoledandCreative said:
    The pictures of that Hawaii dime make it look like a proof to me.

Hmm... hadn’t even considered that.

After taking a look at TrueViews of both MS and PR examples, I don’t think so... great strike for sure, but rims aren’t as squared off on mine as I’d expect on a proof.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means it will be very expensive.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means that the titans of grading have a difference of opinion... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold CAC stickers are a way of making us feel like we didn't get screwed by paying too much

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    I have a large cent in pcgs 55 cac gold that would regrade 62

If the grade doesn't fit..... ( where have I read this before ? )

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say a slab with a gold CAC sticker means John Albanese thinks the coin is pretty damn nice.

AU58 with gold cac? I would definitely leave the slabbed coin as is. There is no upside in trying to get a better grade, just more expense.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a small time collector it means you have a great coin, best in class. Probably an MS63 (or higher coin) with the smallest amount of perceivable rub. Although I agree a gold CAC on an MS 63 probably means 64 or better, or on an VF35 probably XF, I wouldn't equate an AU58 gold CAC to any MS grade if PCGS graded it AU. An MS67 with the slightest rub to me is technically still an AU58 coin, even though nicer than any MS 60-63 coin, and worth paying more for. Just IMHO.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few coins in PCGS holders graded ms 62 that I felt were AU as I could definitely
    see rub .
    I think it is better to leave a coin in an AU 58 holder with a gold CAC sticker than resubmit the coin to grade AU 62 😎

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means that CAC thinks it's undergraded by at least a full grade.

can someone post a link where this is stated by CAC or John Albanese?? thanks.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conversely, I always wondered what a CAC sticker on a lowball coin meant and why people got them. I think if I was building a lowball set I would want to have sent in my P 01 to CAC and then for my coin image have a copy of the results showing it was evaluated as being not worthy of a sticker. Imagine putting your Cert number into CAC, seeing it got Gold, and cursing “how could they think it was that good?!?!”

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU63!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2020 4:27AM

From a 2013 Coin World article:

What kind of coin gets a CAC gold sticker? CAC founder John Albanese describes it as a coin that could “easily green sticker at the next highest grade level."

this has been asked many, many times here and discussed ad nauseum with, really, no solid answer. I would ask a very simple question: wouldn't it be logical to make this information crystal clear at the CAC website?? I actually just wasted five minutes of my life searching the CAC website, unless I missed it there is no explanation. the closest that is stated is:
    --- Your coin has been verified as meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade.

further, at the entire site there isn't even a Gold Sticker pictured, again, unless I missed it. that there is confusion about what the stickers actually mean cannot be denied. why does CAC seem to insist in sowing doubt?? why can't they just be transparent at their website and stated clearly what the stickers actually represent??

a statement during an interview is helpful, but I don't think it's a good way to explain things. absent the article a collector doesn't know that information.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    From a 2013 Coin World article:

What kind of coin gets a CAC gold sticker? CAC founder John Albanese describes it as a coin that could “easily green sticker at the next highest grade level."

this has been asked many, many times here and discussed ad nauseum with, really, no solid answer. I would ask a very simple question: wouldn't it be logical to make this information crystal clear at the CAC website?? I actually just wasted five minutes of my life searching the CAC website, unless I missed it there is no explanation. the closest that is stated is:
    --- Your coin has been verified as meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade.

further, at the entire site there isn't even a Gold Sticker pictured, again, unless I missed it. that there is confusion about what the stickers actually mean cannot be denied. why does CAC seem to insist in sowing doubt?? why can't they just be transparent at their website and stated clearly what the stickers actually represent??

a statement during an interview is helpful, but I don't think it's a good way to explain things. absent the article a collector doesn't know that information.

I found quite a bit of info on their website looking at FAQ in about 2 minutes. As for transparency, i know of few companies whose top guy will make himself available if i have a question. JA has done that for me on several occasions.

• Options

I'll check the FAQ section, I didn't even see it.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 4:48AM

OK, I read through the "FAQ" section and see no mention of Gold Stickers, only A-B-C coins being the closest they come to an explanation. it did, however, take me about three minutes!! :p

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020 5:31AM

CAC evaluates (more of its focus on) the coin, not the holder grade? (although the grade plays a factor in sticker assignment). Whether AU58 or MS, in either case the coin is considered quality no matter what the holder says. In view of this, I wonder if it is appropriate to extrapolate the idea that the grade should change with that CAC evaluation (although the grade would likely change for the better if resubmitted or reconsidered with a gold CAC sticker). In other words, CAC sticker and 3rd party grade are two different things and shouldn't be mixed in how the joined coin and holder are characterized. This is my opinion. If you have a 58 Gold CAC sticker, be thankful how you are blessed with that combination stating you may have the best 58 out there. That gold 58 will be better, and more valuable, than many MS coins.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file