Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980s Madness

A 1987 Leaf Maddux PSA 10 sold for $430 last night. The '87 Tiffany Bonds is closing in on $600. There are now two '85 Clemens cards closing in on $500. The Olympic McGwire crossed the $1,000 threshold. The '84 Topps Mattingly is now a $400 card and I don't want to think what the next '84 Donruss will sell for, probably $3k.

These aren't outliers. All of the smaller cards have seen the same growth. Hell has frozen over. Is everyone prepared?

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Arthur, I’ve seen people on this board predicting for a year or two that the 80s cards would eventually take off like this. It will be interesting to see if these prices hold as the new norm, or if they’re a byproduct of the pandemic, like the hobby-wide inflation we’ve seen.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Investors? Manipulation? Collectors? I think the new cards selling for outrageous prices probably influences the older cards some. People are paying thousands of dollars for Zion. The chances of him being that good throughout his career is low. Speculation has gone overboard.

The magic number to consider is when is too much too much, as in quantity. Griffey upper deck and DOnruss, 1990 Fleer Jordan's, etc. There are thousands of 10's, when does the market decide that there is just too many and the speculators/investors leave. Eventually, supply will be the major factor for most of these cards to grow in value. If supply is in the thousands like the UD Griffey look for free fall. The classic green Bonds has a 35 POP, look for a major rise at some point.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    The classic green Bonds has a 35 POP, look for a major rise at some point.

This is one I'm curious about. The '87 O-Pee-Chee has now surpassed it in count (35 to 30) and is a $3,000 card. The Green back last sold on March 1 for $375 so I would expect a jump on the next one sold but I don't see it attaining O-Pee-Chee level demand. It's a back variation going up against a brand, no chance.

Arthur

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up my 3rd Mattingly rookie (Fleer version) before prices get too far out there. PWCC has a newly listed Donruss.
    I love the 80's but I'm anxious to see where prices are in a year from now.

• Options

So far the '86 Donruss Canseco has stayed where it was. I feel like that card is just tinder, it could go at any moment.

Arthur

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    So far the '86 Donruss Canseco has stayed where it was. I feel like that card is just tinder, it could go at any moment.

Arthur

Looks like it has just about doubled (from $150ish to almost $300) since the beginning of April.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Looks like it has just about doubled (from $150ish to almost $300) since the beginning of April.

My bad. Thought I looked a few days ago and saw one sell for $199.

@dustinspeaks said:
    Canseco has no shot at the hall. Why would that card take off?

I guess due to his appearances on celebrity reality TV.

Or just because there's not much else that would in 1986.

It's one of the most iconic cards of the decade. For anyone that collected as a kid in 1988 and 1989 it's a white whale. And Canseco has always been popular among collectors HOF or not.

Arthur

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@olb31 said:

This is one I'm curious about. The '87 O-Pee-Chee has now surpassed it in count (35 to 30) and is a $3,000 card. The Green back last sold on March 1 for $375 so I would expect a jump on the next one sold but I don't see it attaining O-Pee-Chee level demand. It's a back variation going up against a brand, no chance.

Arthur

Never said it would surpass the OPC. But might surpass a $1,000. Leaf will blow up too. The error variation of the opening day is the wrong person and it sells for alot. The Green back at least has Barry on the front. Look up white back versions of the 1956 Mantle or the 1969 variation on the Mantle huge price differences.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

$2315 on the best offer

• Options

@olb31 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@olb31 said:

Arthur

Never said it would surpass the OPC. But might surpass a $1,000. Leaf will blow up too. The error variation of the opening day is the wrong person and it sells for alot. The Green back at least has Barry on the front. Look up white back versions of the 1956 Mantle or the 1969 variation on the Mantle huge price differences.

The Opening Day has the brand though, just like the Mantles. Classic is going to have a much lower ceiling on it than any card with a popular brand behind it. Rarity is only half the battle, you need demand as well.

That Mattingly seller was too impatient. There's one up now in a PWCC auction that will get shilled up way past $2315. Wouldn't surprise me if they decide to take it to $3k.

Arthur

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

This is going to push 80s unopened even higher. Never saw this coming. Will we see a crash from these prices if, as many predict, the deepest recession of our lifetime takes foot?

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

Two opposing forces pulling on each other -- deep recession vs. unprecedented influx of new collectors.

The 1980s stuff is "easier," if you will, to collect. Want to get all of Canseco's mainstream rookies? You're talking about three cards. What we're seeing with the 1980s now though is the modern effect of the "Rookie Card" rules being applied to cards from the 1980s.

For a very long time, the focus on Bonds rested almost entirely on his '86 Update/Traded cards. But those are now being treated like the '09 Trouts are treated and the '87 material is the equivalent of Trout's 2011 material. The 1987 Topps base card is now $125? I think its pop is around 1400. How many people need to demanding that card to force it up to that price point? Look at 1987 McGwire cards, too. Those are now being treated as "rookies" while the '85 Topps assumes the '09 Trout role.

Trout rewrote the hobby playbook and it's having a retroactive effect on cards from the 1980s decade, as well.

Arthur

• Options
    edited May 7, 2020 11:19AM

@NJ80sBBC said:
    This is going to push 80s unopened even higher. Never saw this coming. Will we see a crash from these prices if, as many predict, the deepest recession of our lifetime takes foot?

John

Don't pay much attention to the talking heads on TV.
    I'm an ops manager at a construction firm in PA. This is our restart week. Within days demand has spiked near pre-shutdown level. I'm not saying demand will continue at the former level. We have plenty of customers ready to go NOW.

As for cards, 80s and modern (and many others) are having a major breakout. It hasn't hit vintage yet. No, not sustainable for every example. A new baseline will form after awhile. As usual, the market will overshoot the new baseline prices.

Erick

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with Arthur's Mike Trout Theory. Like a lot of people here the 1980's are my prime years for baseball. I always chased the update and traded RCs first. It looks like I should have spent more money on the lower cost base rookies even if they came in the next year.

I have started selling my "year after" RCs like the 1984 Strawberry and 1985 Puckett/Clemens/Gooden. I'm keeping the traded and update rookies if they were the first rookie card.

Mike
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure why the surge in 1980’s prices has caught so many off-guard. There are a few factors at play, all of which indicate this will be a sustained trend.

• 1980s were the height of collecting and coincide with the generation turning 40
    • There has been widespread return to the hobby due to time at home and lack of sports
    • 1980s had the most iconic athletes as all 3 major sports were readily televised for the first time
    • Jordan, Bird, Magic, Montana, Rice, Bo, Griffey, McGwire, Henderson, Cal, Clemens, Bonds
    • Kids who collected in the 1980s are seeking a hobby, nostalgia and to be part of a community
    • 1980s cards had been selling for less than in the mid-90s when they stopped collecting
    • 1980s cards are still accessible in PSA 9/10 and unopened form
    • 1980s cards are much harder to obtain in perfect PSA 10 status than most assumed
    • COVID has people reflecting on simpler and happy times

Everything tells me this will be sustained for the next 20 years until this group turns 60-70 and starts to simplify their possessions. If you love the 1980s like I do, time to stock up as this bull has 20 years to run.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 11:55AM

There are two parts of the equation, supply and more importantly demand. As we can see by Jordan cards, supply can be quickly eaten up by a huge demand.

Early 1990's BKB is showing great life and that supply is among the highest in the hobby.

EDIT: I would recklessly speculate that the "peak" hobby collector base occurred sometime in the late 1980's through mid-1990's. That crowd is now in their highest earning years (at least until the virus got us!).

Mike
  • Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    By the 80s the hobby had already introduced pages and sleeves and screwdowns and 800 count boxes. pre 1980 people did not protect their cards. In the 70s and earlier people were keeping their cards in shoe boxes and wrapping them i rubber bands. There are a whole lot of cards from the 80s out there in great condition. Pack fresh even if not unopened. There are a lot of collectors. But, the value of cards, even high grade cards, from the 80s and 90s should never match the values of high grade cards from the 70s and earlier. Simply because there is a TON of this stuff. More than the pop report suggests. It will start coming out of the woodwork if people really get excited about it. Out of the woodwork. Common saying. But, what does that even mean? Heh. 1987 topps Bonds is among the highest pop baseball cards ever produced.

This just isn't accurate. I began my 1980s collection back in 2013 and was doing it just for the fun of it. It was a cheap way for me to have a lot of fun with the hobby. In order to introduce some level of difficulty to it, I wanted to acquire every card in PSA 10 condition. I assumed that, even adding this stipulation, it wouldn't be difficult for me to acquire any of the cards I want. Obviously, my first step was to just look to buy raw cards dirt cheap with the thought that I would self-submit and this would be the most cost-efffective plan. This is what I learned:

Nobody took care of any of these cards from a huge period of years. These cards were supposed to be a cash windfall for so many people and they ended up being worthless. People were angry. They left the hobby. There was spite. For more than 25 years, these cards (the ones that weren't used as kindling or just tossed in the dump) were given away to younger kids time and time again. And yeah, that includes 1987 Topps Barry Bonds cards. NOBODY was gently pulling those from packs and penny sleeve/top loadering them. They were raw in monster boxes that were getting tossed around and moved and flipped through and sorted over and over and over again.

I bought so much raw stuff on eBay. Single cards that looked Mint+, large groups and lots, unopened, you name it. I ended up with virtually zero grading material. Anything that did get top loadered was put in there raw. You want to know what a horrible long-term place to put a baseball card is? A top loader with no penny sleeve. They rattled around, scratching their surface, sliding out of the tops, dinging corners, getting compressed against hard plastic for 25 years. Over time, those top loader become brittle and any kind of surface flaw ends up acting like the tip of a knife.

It's like people deliberately treated this stuff like dirt out of spite. It hadn't lived up to what they were promised to they were going to beat the living hell out of it and make it pay. I've never seen that many dinged corners and surface scratches in my life. The idea that there's monster boxes out there full of gem mint Barry Bonds rookies is hilarious. It wasn't like modern is today; 90+% of the stuff that came out of packs back then had no chance to gem. It's the complete opposite now.

Arthur

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    The idea that there's monster boxes out there full of gem mint Barry Bonds rookies is hilarious. It wasn't like modern is today; 90+% of the stuff that came out of packs back then had no chance to gem. It's the complete opposite now.

Arthur

I wouldn't say it's hilarious. People bought cards in bulk like they were stocks back in the 80s. Bricks of 50, 100, or even 1,000 of the same player were not uncommon in multiple ads in SCD. Bonds was not a blue chip prospect and very reasonable in price. It wouldn't shock me if a large amount surfaced from one source, though those odds seem low now.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of 80's sets with atrocious centering and I agree that 10's from many sets can be quite difficult even though production numbers are high in many cases.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Agree completely with Arthur’s last post regarding the condition of the “well kept” collections. I need only look at my childhood collection.

As for the % of dimes leaving fresh packs these days? Well our esteemed Board member Chris is giving us a real time lens into those statistics. I ripped perhaps 50 boxes of 83-87 with some 89UD as well. Horrible results. But it was fun.

I’m ok with the opportunity cost, it was all cheap at the time.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    in the late 80s people bought 1987 topps and they went from the pack to a 9 pocket or to a 800 or 3600 count box. Absolutely true. I a still have a lot of mine. I did it because that's how all my friends were doing it. Nothing like the 70s and earlier. There is a huge amount of stuff from the late 80s on up that is sitting neatly in boxes just waiting for people to highly value the most common sports cards ever made. In many cases after the mid 80s the PSA case becomes worth more than the card. People try to buy the case. Not the card, which is very common.

1987 Topps isn't a condition sensitive set either. It's a patchy brown boarder printed on brown card stock.

In the mid 1990s card gaming brough the sleeve game to a whole new level when companies like Ultra Pro started making sleeves to protect gaming cards.

I think that perhaps you should read this thread from start to finish.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/995191/i-love-the-1980s-the-ultimate-unopened-rip-quest-to-build-topps-fleer-donruss-psa-10-sets#latest

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

• Jordan, Bird, Magic, Montana, Rice, Bo, Griffey, McGwire, Henderson, Cal, Clemens, Bonds.....GREENWEEEEEELL.

Come on, Chris. ;)

Andy

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    in the late 80s people bought 1987 topps and they went from the pack to a 9 pocket or to a 800 or 3600 count box. Absolutely true. I a still have a lot of mine. I did it because that's how all my friends were doing it. Nothing like the 70s and earlier. There is a huge amount of stuff from the late 80s on up that is sitting neatly in boxes just waiting for people to highly value the most common sports cards ever made. In many cases after the mid 80s the PSA case becomes worth more than the card. People try to buy the case. Not the card, which is very common.

1987 Topps isn't a condition sensitive set either. It's a patchy brown boarder printed on brown card stock.

In the mid 1990s card gaming brough the sleeve game to a whole new level when companies like Ultra Pro started making sleeves to protect gaming cards.

I just ripped wax, and rack and opened vending of 1987 Topps. About 10,000 cards. I have 2 Barry Bonds rookies to send in and I am not confident they will be 10's. One might be, the other will prolly be a 9. I would not be surprised if I got two 9's or even an 8 and a 9. There were 12 total in the rip and the other 10 are all off-center.

I did a little better on Bo Jackson. Maybe 6 that could be 10's, but they are half of the value of the Bonds.

The population report shows that out of 13,401 there are only 1,303 Bonds' that achieved a 10. The rest are basically worthless. 10's are not easy to get in this card. This year has centering issues that are just bad enough to keep most cards out of a 10 holder. There are also a LOT of print spots on many of the well centered cards.

For good or bad, the hobby has changed, while still kind of staying the same. More nice cards, but the only ones anyone wants are rookie 10's. Nolan Ryan being the only real exception.

Some of the vintage cards are actually going down in price in PSA 8, cards that looked like they would hold their value and maybe even go up.

In pretty much everything from 1986 forward there are only a couple of cards in each set that have ANY value, and as stated, only in a PSA 10. I am excluding the "low pop" commons as only a very few seem to be completing graded sets. The grading fees are huge with a 700 card set. Especially when so few cards will sell for even the grading fees.

Look how many 1989 UD Griffey's there are, almost 3,800 and the card has recently gone over the $1,000.00 mark. Plenty of unopened still out there too.

What you say is true, the cards are being taken better care of now, but 99.8% are worthless. Remember when second year cards had value? How about that 5th year short print?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gansetttime said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    The idea that there's monster boxes out there full of gem mint Barry Bonds rookies is hilarious. It wasn't like modern is today; 90+% of the stuff that came out of packs back then had no chance to gem. It's the complete opposite now.

Arthur

I wouldn't say it's hilarious. People bought cards in bulk like they were stocks back in the 80s. Bricks of 50, 100, or even 1,000 of the same player were not uncommon in multiple ads in SCD. Bonds was not a blue chip prospect and very reasonable in price. It wouldn't shock me if a large amount surfaced from one source, though those odds seem low now.

@Gansetttime said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@dustinspeaks said:

Arthur

Have you ever seen the old comic book ads? You could do this in the 1960's as well.

As far as 1989 Upper Deck goes You had to buy EVERY CARD in the set in a "brick" to get a brick of Griffey's.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@dustinspeaks said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    Thing is though. the 87 Topps Bonds is a 2nd year card. So is Bo. Both those guys are in 86 Update sets. With Bonds 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany is the card. Same with Bo. 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany.

One thing that I don't understand at all about this thread is the reference to the 2009 and 2011 Trouts. I look at the pop report for Trout and I'm completely baffled. I look at his eBay listings and the only thing that distinguishes any of those cards to me is the 25 thousand dollar price tag on some of them. I assume those are the cool ones? Can someone explain the Trout reference to me?

I think this is pretty much the thinking of collectors that don't have any current experience in cards from this era. It's completely understandable; it's what everyone thought for 20+ years. The difference is, the people that have jumped back in and gotten their hands dirty have realized this thinking is inaccurate.

Arthur

• Options
    edited May 8, 2020 1:20PM

This is my baseball card album. None are getting a 10.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2020 6:04PM

I should dig thru my bubble years inventory. There's gotta be a 10 somewhere

Edit: idk, had to move them, shove them, toss them around a hundred times in those cardboard boxes within cardboard boxes. $1.00 or more would go in toploader. Under a buck went in the binder. Had to move them around as Beckett changed.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    This stuff is interesting to me.

1987 Topps Barry Bonds 1303/13892 9.3% = PSA 10

This guy on the Beckett forums thinks 1 million 1987 Bonds produced. At 9.3% PSA 10, that would be 93,000 potential PSA 10 Bonds out there. Basically, if you want one, it's going to be there for you.

While I completely agree that there are likely 1,000,000 of the 1987 Topps Barry Bonds that were produced, your logic that 93,000 potential PSA 10s exist is WAY off. There is an inherent bias that people submit only those they think will PSA 10. Therefore the 9.3% hit rate on submissions is massively skewed versus total cards produced. I can tell you from ripping more 1980s case fresh cards than anyone else, that the hit rate on 1987 Topps pack fresh cards being worthy of a PSA 10 is actually 0.4%. Yes, four-tenths of one percent. This means that best case would be 4000 potential PSA 10s if every card from Topps still existed in pack fresh form. As you state, 1303 have made there way into PSA 10 holders. This is after 25 years of PSA grading cards all through the Barry Bonds hype days of smashing 70+ HR in a season. Let’s speculate that 10% of 1987 Topps production remains unopened and another 10-20% remains pack fresh, perfectly stored away decades ago and never submitted for grading. That would mean that another 400-1200 candidates exist in perfect raw form. Therefore the ceiling on PSA 10 Bonds from 1987 Topps is closer to 2500 copies. That would be a doubling of the current pop report and a much better estimate of the ceiling. Everyone won’t submit though and many will stay buried in unopened, so reality is 1500-1600 will make PSA 10 status.

I had planned to respond but certainly couldn't have put this tremendous analysis together.

Excellent post.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    I know, beating dead horse.

This is 1990 Leaf that I cracked in 1990. It's been like this ever since. This is how people took care of cards in 1990. Not worth grading, to me. But pack fresh.

There may have been 200,000 1987 Topps Bonds produced. They're just sitting in boxes.

You're projecting. Just because you did something does not mean that that's what everyone else did. You have a thread full of people that are speaking from actual present-day experience that are telling you otherwise and yet you still vehemently disagree just because your own personal experience from 30 years ago doesn't fit.

Arthur

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    I know, beating dead horse.

This is 1990 Leaf that I cracked in 1990. It's been like this ever since. This is how people took care of cards in 1990. Not worth grading, to me. But pack fresh.

There may have been 200,000 1987 Topps Bonds produced. They're just sitting in boxes.

Any Luis Sojo’s in that box of 90 Leaf worth grading?

Jason

• Options
    edited May 9, 2020 12:38PM

Take a look at this thread.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/995191/i-love-the-1980s-the-ultimate-unopened-rip-quest-to-build-topps-fleer-donruss-psa-10-sets#latest

You can't use the pop reports and extrapolate ratios like you did. I own the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B Rick Martel PSA 9 which is easily in the top ten condition rarities from any trading card set from the 80's from any genre. There is one PSA 9 and one PSA 8.

There are only 48 graded because most will never get sent in because they are a 5 or below. One might look at this and say you have a 2.08% chance of landing an 8 or a 9. This couldn't be further from the truth. It needs to be taken on a card by card basis in reality. I have a stack of these in a drawer I just pulled out and here are 16 and I have a few signed and a few others that are loose in another box.

• Options
    hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I collect unopened rack packs and cello packs with the key cards showing and the prices have at least tripled for many of these. I have been offered four figures for each of the attached. Last year these would have only been 1/2 as expensive. I turned down a trade for the 84 donruss that would have given me a authenticated 75 Topps Baseball rack pack. An those Shaq 92-93 cards are skyrocketing. Thos rack pack is rc on front and his gold rc on the back of the same rack!

• Options

Send your cards in and get all 10’s!

• Options

What grade would you assign to this beautiful 89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr I pulled from a factory set and put right into a penny sleeve and then a top loader?

• Options
    hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Does it have the tiny crease on the back? A lot them do.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@hamilton989 said:
    I collect unopened rack packs and cello packs with the key cards showing and the prices have at least tripled for many of these. I have been offered four figures for each of the attached. Last year these would have only been 1/2 as expensive. I turned down a trade for the 84 donruss that would have given me a authenticated 75 Topps Baseball rack pack. An those Shaq 92-93 cards are skyrocketing. Thos rack pack is rc on front and his gold rc on the back of the same rack!

Awesome packs! A thousand bucks for a double Shaq? Send them my way if you don’t wanna sell, and ask the guy who wants your Gwynn if they’d like to have a Boggs instead?

timetoca$hthosein

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    0.4%, you're totally fooling yourself. There are guys out there who have storage lockers full of 1987 Topps wax.

The stuff I've been collecting over the past few years, the productions numbers are like 200. Not 2 million. So maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I don't think so though.

How much do you submit? I submit a ton. Hitting a PSA 10 80s card is not as easy as you have set in your mind. I buy tons of unopened wax from these years as well as factory sets. I go through them and most are not worth submitting. When I do find 80s cards worth submitting then hitting a 10 is another thing. I went through 4 beautiful 87 Topps football factory sets not long ago. I came away with 2 10s. (Cunningham and Mike Singletary). Several pretty 9s a few 8.5s. The rest not worth submitting. Centering is usually terrible and cards can be pack fresh all day long but not Gem Mint.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    Not as many people protected a 1987 Topps Bonds as a 1989 Upper Deck Griffey.

Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. have been viewed as having value ever since the cards were first sold.

Ok....

wait.....

what?

"Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large; I contain multitudes.)"

Andy

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    I don't submit. I have some stuff I'm thinking about sending in. Anything that I would submit has a 0-10 pop. 0 pop, I don't care so much about the grade.

These guys submitting though, They're not having trouble hitting 10s. I don't think many people are looking for these cards in PSA 10. And the Bonds number makes me think something is wrong. Guys submitting Gooden are hitting .655 while guys submitting Bonds are hitting .093. Spitballing.

1987 topps Kevin Mitchell 39/54 72.2% = PSA 10 Above Bonds
    1987 Topps Bobby Bonilla 53/76 69.7% = PSA 10 Below Bonds
    1987 Topps Will Clark 283/627 45.1% = PSA 10 1 Left 1 Up
    1987 Topps Dwight Gooden 66/155 65.5% = PSA 10 Different sheet lower right corner

Spend about 15 years submitting then I will value your opinion on these matters. I am not saying these cards are long term gold, and I am not trying to be a jerk but I do not want someone giving me ratios if he is not familiar and involved with the craft.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ripped around 50 boxes of 85 OPC a few years back and didn’t hit one of the key players in a ten. Only sent in 20 or so. Someday I will go through them all and I’m sure there are some blazers in there but I picked through 50 Pucketts and best was a 9.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. have been viewed as having value ever since the cards were first sold.

Wrong. I have multiple back issues of SCD, Baseball Hobby News, and Tuff Stuff that say otherwise on Bonds.
    FWIW, I have opened multiple cases of '87 Topps vending and rack and have pulled Bonds cards whose main issue straight from the factory cases are centering. Despite large production, these cards can't be assumed to be gem as easily as you think.

• Options

You assume a lot Dustin. Probably should change your name to Dustinspeaksabouthatwhichhedoesnotknow. It is a little long but yeah I am not selling searched sets. Anyway my mistake for posting, It is always best to let someone continue in their opinion on the internet because you are not going to change their mind.

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Topps-Mark-McGwire-ROOKIE-RC-401-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC-E/143596474863?hash=item216f0451ef:g:GBQAAOSwEwpesIGe

This McGwire is getting some major action. I bought the off centered copy I posted above from what would turn out to be my first college economics professor and who got me hooked on it. He had an entire lecture about how he sold them all off as the chase for 70 was peaking and that is when we both realized I was one of his customers. Unfortunately I paid $160 as a 19 year old for that one and didn't realize how critical centering was.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    The numbers speak for themselves. Most common sports cards ever made. I don't have to submit cards to PSA to have knowledge of that.

No one disputes that fact. The amount that will end up in 10 holders is what is being disputed.

• Options

Dustin thanks for the entertainment today. I am taking some anti inflammatory pills and can't drink like I usually do on a Saturday but you have provided some much needed comic relief. I do appreciate it.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    The numbers speak for themselves.

No. The numbers dustinspeaks for themselves.

No, no. For themselves the numbers dustinspeaks.

No, not quite right. The numbers themselves dustinspeaks for.

Grrr...dustinspeaks for the numbers themselves.

Almost. dustinspeaks the numbers for themselves.

Now I'M confused.

Andy

• Options
    edited May 9, 2020 7:54PM

Here. I threw together old data I have with previous pop totals vs. today.
    (for either side of the debate)

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    I don't submit. I have some stuff I'm thinking about sending in. Anything that I would submit has a 0-10 pop. 0 pop, I don't care so much about the grade.

These guys submitting though, They're not having trouble hitting 10s. I don't think many people are looking for these cards in PSA 10. And the Bonds number makes me think something is wrong. Guys submitting Gooden are hitting .655 while guys submitting Bonds are hitting .093. Spitballing.

1987 topps Kevin Mitchell 39/54 72.2% = PSA 10 Above Bonds
    1987 Topps Bobby Bonilla 53/76 69.7% = PSA 10 Below Bonds
    1987 Topps Will Clark 283/627 45.1% = PSA 10 1 Left 1 Up
    1987 Topps Dwight Gooden 66/155 65.5% = PSA 10 Different sheet lower right corner

hmmmm...you may want to submit 100 of your best cards and see what results you get before throwing out blanket statements about how worthless cards are because they were so overproduced and how easy it is to get 10's from the 80's and early 90's...I have bought well more than a million cards from various lots off of Craigslist over the past 1.5 years, and I can assure you, as others have tried to do, that finding PSA 10 worthy candidates is TOUGH. You only need follow Jordangretzkyfan's thread where he is opening unopened boxes from that era...pack fresh cards, and he is finding a few per box that he deems to be PSA 10, and even then, he has to get the grader at PSA to agree with his assessment. You can eliminate 90% of the cards right away due to horrid centering. Buy some unopened product and some 5k count boxes of cards from that era, and you will soon see what everyone in this conversation is trying to advise you on...