Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cashless society?

124»

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it's time for the Readers Digest condensed overview for those of you who tuned in late...

Some of us choose to navigate and control our own money avoiding financial icebergs...

Jack Benny sounded better on the radio...

I would rather drive a 1963 Studebaker Avanti or 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II instead of a Tesla...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Attumra your ID seems to have re-set - you have 31 posts and one star, ??? :o

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if I'd want to hang my hat on Tesla as an example. I am not sure the story has been fully written on Tesla yet...

They are good looking cars, though.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Wow 3 pages and still no conclusion or much in the way of plot. Kind of like the Titanic going in circles and just missing each iceberg.

My own little story here is that when I went to renew my driver's license at my local DPS office, the payment system was down. They would not take cash.

I hope that since it was THEIR FAILURE that they issued the license anyway.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Wow 3 pages and still no conclusion or much in the way of plot. Kind of like the Titanic going in circles and just missing each iceberg.

My own little story here is that when I went to renew my driver's license at my local DPS office, the payment system was down. They would not take cash.

Nope, still have an expired license. It was a statewide outage too. I did at least get into the system and was told to come back another day to do the vision test and sign the final form, until the virus shutdown hit. That closed the door on all the DPS offices. It was a state computer failure, but they still wouldn't take cash.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2020 11:07AM

Soon we wont need money as there won’t be any work as Nancy will Pay me to stay home and Amazon will deliver my food to my home! Nancy will give me my monthly allotment of credit as I live in Utopia! Free & Universal Health Care! Free & Universal Education! Universal Imigration! No more fossil fuels and ALL Green Energy to keep me warm during our Harsh Alaska Winters. I will fly around in my single jetson vehicle powered by Green Energy! All I happily pay is my use of Green Energy Carbon payment to Gore Emergy! No more pollution as President AOC addresses the nation! Utopia Living!!!! o:)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Soon we wont need money as there won’t be any work as Nancy will Pay me to stay home and Amazon will deliver my food to my home! Nancy will give me my monthly allotment of credit as I live in Utopia! Free & Universal Health Care! Free & Universal Education! Universal Imigration! No more fossil fuels and ALL Green Energy to keep me warm during our Harsh Alaska Winters. I will fly around in my single jetson vehicle powered by Green Energy! All I happily pay is my use of Green Energy Carbon payment to Gore Emergy! No more pollution as President AOC addresses the nation! Utopia Living!!!! o:)

To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, "Eventually Nancy will run out of other people's money." ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Name one thing you can do with cash that you couldn't do tomorrow if cash were replaced with 100% digital? [Other than bury it in a hole.] There is nothing.

Get it slabbed by PCGS :)

Everything you can do with cash is included in "burying it in a hole." ![](

Simply not true. But everything that requires that you have cash in hand is included in "burying it in the hole". That is begging the question. You can't argue that physical cash is necessary because physical cash is necessary.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Gluggo said:

To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, "Eventually Nancy will run out of other people's money." ;)

Technically, since they have a printing press, they will never run out. At some point, however, people may stop taking it in exchange for useful items. A lot of good your physical cash will do you then. You might as well leave it buried in a hole for archaeologists to find.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I suppose it's time for the Readers Digest condensed overview for those of you who tuned in late...

Some of us choose to navigate and control our own money avoiding financial icebergs...

I would rather drive a 1963 Studebaker Avanti or 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II instead of a Tesla...

I'm not sure what that example means other than you like old cars. A Tesla isn't a digital car...????

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Gluggo said:

You obviously don't understand Modern Monetary Theory...

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

I'm not sure what that example means other than you like old cars. A Tesla isn't a digital car...????

I think you missed arguing your 'opinion' with a few posters above. Ha ha ha

Do you even collect coins, I don't recall and wanted to double check.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2020 12:31PM

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

That was an honest question. It wasn't even a disagreement. I'm not sure what preferring a Studebaker to a Tesla means. Since you are clearly so much smarter than I am, could you enlighten me?

Funny how if I engage in discourse, I'm the one being disagreeable. I must have missed the part where you chose to agree with everything I said. Here you appear to be challenging my simply asking a question.

There's an ignore button. DM me if you want instructions on how to use it.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

That was an honest question. It wasn't even a disagreement. I'm not sure what preferring a Studebaker to a Tesla means. Since you are clearly so much smarter than I am, could you enlighten me?

Funny how if I engage in discourse, I'm the one being disagreeable. I must have missed the part where you chose to agree with everything I said. Here you appear to be challenging my simply asking a question.

Does it bother you I'm not taking the bait?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

It means that given a choice, he'll drive the Studebaker. B)

You might want to Google the word "analogy". You may find the analogy flawed, but clearly that's what he was going for. Your preferred style of playing endless semantic games results in cluttering up threads with needless digressions. It gets annoying.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is easier for others to control? Hmmmmm???? >:)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

You might want to Google the word "analogy". You may find the analogy flawed, but clearly that's what he was going for. Your preferred style of playing endless semantic games results in cluttering up threads with needless digressions. It gets annoying.

I simply asked a question. I well know what the analogy is. I simply asked if he meant something than he preferred old things. [Which, yes, is simply a flawed analogy.]

You know what's more annoying. You inserting yourself into every comment I make telling me I have no right to make a comment. I asked him what he meant by the Studebaker comment. I didn't criticize the comment. I didn't argue with the comment. I simply asked if he meant something other than he preferred old things. The question wasn't aimed at you or your friend @matt_dac who seem to feel that you are the King and Queen of the forum.

You don't like me. That's fine. You don't agree with me. I don't care. You want to jump in and argue with me. Go ahead. But don't pretend that I'm the one being contrary. Look in the mirror, my friend. You are the contrarian here.

See that ignore button. Hit it and save everyone else on this board from YOUR incessant contrarian complaining.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

STRONG DISAGREE

• Options

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

Does it bother you I'm not taking the bait?

What bait? It was an invitation to ignore me. Which you clearly couldn't do. So, my dear friend, it looks like you baited yourself.

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@topstuf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Nope, still have an expired license. It was a statewide outage too. I did at least get into the system and was told to come back another day to do the vision test and sign the final form, until the virus shutdown hit. That closed the door on all the DPS offices. It was a state computer failure, but they still wouldn't take cash.

That's the problem with the "cash always works" position. Everything behind the cashier's box is digital. So, quite often, it doesn't matter if you have cash because they can't do anything with it if the system is down.

Unbelievable but true story:

A friend of mine has a mortgage through some 2nd tier mortgage broker. They were bought out by a bigger entity. But, in the most incompetent merger in corporate history, when they merged the systems they weren't compatible. [99.999% of companies work this out BEFORE they finalize.] As a result, they refused to accept a mortgage payment from my friend for 5 months because they had no way to credit his account!

It's really amazing if you think about it. The only thing a mortgage broker does is issue mortgages and accept payments and for 5 months they couldn't work it out. Personally, I would have used a paper ledger if necessary. LOL. Never turn down money.

By the way, they have dozens of lawsuits against them. One woman had 3 payments left on her mortgage and wanted to pay it off and they couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Amazing....

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@matt_dac said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinkat said:

I simply asked a question. I well know what the analogy is. I simply asked if he meant something than he preferred old things. [Which, yes, is simply a flawed analogy.]

You know what's more annoying. You inserting yourself into every comment I make telling me I have no right to make a comment. I asked him what he meant by the Studebaker comment. I didn't criticize the comment. I didn't argue with the comment. I simply asked if he meant something other than he preferred old things. The question wasn't aimed at you or your friend @matt_dac who seem to feel that you are the King and Queen of the forum.

You don't like me. That's fine. You don't agree with me. I don't care. You want to jump in and argue with me. Go ahead. But don't pretend that I'm the one being contrary. Look in the mirror, my friend. You are the contrarian here.

See that ignore button. Hit it and save everyone else on this board from YOUR incessant contrarian complaining.

... says the sixth most prolific poster in the history of this forum, yet one whom I can never recall ever posting a photo of a coin or talking about his coin collection. I suppose you're too busy shilling your eBay store and arguing incessantly with everybody about how many angels can dance on a pinhead (fittingly).

Over and out!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet the DMV would have accepted a check. I think they moved away from cash to remove the temptation from their employees. That's how our DMV works.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@topstuf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

That's the problem with the "cash always works" position. Everything behind the cashier's box is digital. So, quite often, it doesn't matter if you have cash because they can't do anything with it if the system is down.

A friend of mine has a mortgage through some 2nd tier mortgage broker. They were bought out by a bigger entity. But, in the most incompetent merger in corporate history, when they merged the systems they weren't compatible. [99.999% of companies work this out BEFORE they finalize.] As a result, they refused to accept a mortgage payment from my friend for 5 months because they had no way to credit his account!

It's really amazing if you think about it. The only thing a mortgage broker does is issue mortgages and accept payments and for 5 months they couldn't work it out. Personally, I would have used a paper ledger if necessary. LOL. Never turn down money.

By the way, they have dozens of lawsuits against them. One woman had 3 payments left on her mortgage and wanted to pay it off and they couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Amazing....

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I bet the DMV would have accepted a check. I think they moved away from cash to remove the temptation from their employees. That's how our DMV works.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@topstuf said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Amazing....

Should have mentioned, I offered a check too. I guess no electronic set up/inventory = no payment. I think the days of manual payments are pretty much gone, though I think they should have some sort of fallback.

This discussion has been closed.