Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There hasn’t been much to celebrate lately but.....

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2020 2:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My father passed away in Nov. He was our rock. My Mother passed a few years ago. I’m now the oldest in the family. My Dads house was in Michigan. He paid $12,900 for it in 1962 and he lived in it until he passed. He told me a story a couple weeks before he passed at lunch that he actually walked away from his closing in 1962 because his house payment was going to be $82 instead of $79 as quoted. He couldn’t afford the extra $3 with a wife and two kids at home. The lenders decided to honor the deal and the rest was history. He was a tremendous role model and man. There might have been men as good as my dad but none was a better man. He literally taught us the value of a dollar.

Fast forward to today. We fixed up his house and listed it the weekend before the lockdown. We actually had 4 offers over ask the first day. I choose the one while I felt had the best chance to close. I picked a couple who both worked for Quicken Loans. From the comfort of my home In Southern California we closed on my Dads house today. Sold. The end of an era.

Please feel free to post something coin related that make you smile. This pile does it for me

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

God Bless your Dad and your family. I wish you all the best. I'll just smile looking at your coins, very nice.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 2:21PM

Beautiful story. Almost 60 yrs. In the same house, wow. Sounds like your dad was my dad's age, he would have been 88 this last Feb. He passed in 2012. I feel for you. Buddy
    ♥️

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-You were very blessed to have a father like that.

2- For you to realize it makes it even sweeter.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 2:31PM

Great story about something that was old will be new again, both the house you grew up in and the spirit of loss with your parents.

Gold beaned old gold in old PCGS holders!

I can't touch that!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 3:05PM

Yeah, had to do the same a couple years ago for my dad, and it sold fairly quickly too. He lived there for nearly 40 years and yes, it marked the passage of time. I took pictures inside the empty house two days before it wasn't ours. I still feel the vibe when I look at them today: a house full becomes empty, so it can become full again.

Time does make everything get better, but it's different for everyone. Hang in there.

Nice coins too!

I had those last couple of sentences in there, but somehow they didn't post. So the additional edit.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 2:36PM

God Bless you and your family.

Time catches up to us all.....eventually.

Sounds like you owe a lot to your dad.....Your success in Life and, more importantly, as a human being.

I think about my dad a lot. He was so good to us growing up, in every way......A provider, a teacher, a confidant, a protector and a friend.

I used to cry at the mere thought of losing him, although, I know he won't be here, forever, nor will you or I for that matter.

Love them, as much as you can, while they're here and remember and appreciate their legacy, when they're gone.

I've lost some zest for coins, lately.......it's likely just a stage but I will always appreciate and admire what I do have. Peace.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences on your loss. Lost both my parents 6 months apart back in 97. My dad bought me a Whitman Lincoln folder back in 64 when I was 8 years old. ( I still have it ) We shared a love of collecting. He gave me his collection after mom passed. I think he knew what was coming. I believe he died of a broken heart.
    Unable to post pictures. I'll compliment you on your gold. Very nice.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing Dad. Amazing story.

Love the mess of gold too!

Thanks for sharing. The world could use a few more people like your Dad. Salt of the Earth.

I don’t seem to have a coin from 1962, but I do have one from 1963. I’d like to post it in honor of the family home. The memories will live forever in that house.

Let us know what year your Dad was born, as I’d like to post something in his honor as well.

Take care -
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2020 2:38PM

Thanks Dave! My Dad was born in 1937 and my Mom in 1939. It’s really what got me interested in collecting Walkers as it was a great design and I could incorporate their birth years

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences...I absolutely love that your pops and his buddy are using the dinner table as an ashtray...those were the days of MEN! ;)

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Touching post Mark. Sorry to hear of your loss.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 4:06PM

Thanks for the story Mark. So many good memories. I'm really touched.
    and here's a coin from the year they moved in

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. My dad passed late 2018, I still think of him every day. It is fortunate to have strong, loving parents. I continue that with mine.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 4:49PM

@Justacommeman Great family pictures! Thanks for sharing. :)

That's a fine collection of classic GOLD!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post Mark. Enjoyed reading it.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark - sorry to hear of your loss and the end of an era.

Brings back memories for me. I lost my dad in 1992 when I was 38 - I feel I missed out on so many fishing trips, talks, and advice. Lost my mom in 2016 at age 90. I think of them often.

Our cottage in southeastern Wisconsin was the one property the family enjoyed since 1960. I live 1200 miles from there so keeping it was not in the cards. So I ended an era with that cottage in 2017. Sad to see it go, but I have tons of memories and lots of photos.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moving, and perfect.

PM sent.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great man. Awesome group of gold/gold. That would make me smile a lot.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Boy, did you bring back some powerful memories for me. Mark, I truly feel for you. My dad passed away in 2004 at age 78. Finest man I have ever met. He hit the beaches on Iwo Jima on Feb. 19, 1945 and somehow managed to get off that island without a scratch. Put in 38 years with the Penna. State Police as well. I don't know how he found so much time to spend with me but he did. Things have just never been the same since he passed on. But, no matter when they passed on, we can all treasure many wonderful memories of them and keep them in our hearts and minds.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your family and memories with us Mark. Sorry about the quality of my pic. These make me happy. I was up to the 50 gram piece until the availability went flat.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 6:29PM

Beautiful family story <3 RIP for your wonderful parents your soul never say goodbye to o:)

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Mark,
    Sorry to hear about both your mother and father. I lost both parents 99 days apart in 2012. My father was a WW2 Navy vet and had a military funeral with a 21 gun salute. I learned much from him in many ways.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story, and great group of coins!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 7:50PM

Great story Mark, no apologies necessary that's for sure. This post stirred up similar memories and emotions for many of us about our dads. I wish EVERYONE could be blessed like those of us who had/has a father who was/is someone we could say the kind of things you had to say about yours.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where was the house in Michigan? My parents bought their second house in Redford in June of 1956. We moved in on July 4th. They paid $16,900 for it because their fifth kid was coming in August and they needed a bigger place. Ma lived there until we had to put her in a home in 2017. Almost glad she is not still at the home.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Where was the house in Michigan? My parents bought their second house in Redford in June of 1956. We moved in on July 4th. They paid $16,900 for it because their fifth kid was coming in August and they needed a bigger place. Ma lived there until we had to put her in a home in 2017. Almost glad she is not still at the home.

Westland

m

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when they built the mall there. Heck, I remember when they built Wonderland Mall in 1960.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2020 10:44PM

@CaptHenway said:
    I remember when they built the mall there. Heck, I remember when they built Wonderland Mall in 1960.

Too funny. We used to go to Jacobson’s in Dearborn to see Santa (closer and nicer) but we couldn’t afford anything there so Wonderland is were we actually did our shopping. The irony is my current CEO’s family owned Jacobsons when they were solvent.

Hope you and your family are doing well Tom

FYI real estate in Westland is hot. Who knew.

m

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great tribute. Mahalo for your story. Glad he got to walk your daughter down the aisle too! Awesome!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 12:43AM

My mother was the last one in my immediate family to pass. She miraculously made it to her only grandchild's Bar Mitzvah. May your father’s memory be a blessing.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your memories with us, you have passed along a beautiful story. I’m very sure that your dad is looking down and smiling at you. Extra special he made your daughters wedding :)
    The picture you posted of your dad in Germany reminds me of my dad. He was in the Army with Elvis Presley, the were “Spearheads”, we keep that picture out in full room view all the time.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, those are nice family pictures - thanks for sharing them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

We honor our genealogy by sharing these memories. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Funny how the older you get the smarter your parents get.

Yes they did and so did we ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, your post speaks eloquently of both your love for your father and his personal qualities. Knowing you only through this forum, I believe you carry those same qualities. I, too, am the patriarch of the family, since my Mother passed three years ago. My Dad passed long ago in 1968. We are fortunate to have had such parents. Thanks for the insightful personal history. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file