Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The USPS is going bonkers...(rant)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2020 4:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This has been discussed here ad nauseam, but...Last month, I sent a money order to a business in Nebraska (from OKC) and it arrived, finally, last week. Six weeks? Ok, stuff happens. I sent a small package to San Francisco last week, with signature confirmation and tracking, and I get a notice today that it is in Rhode Island???

Package Service
3 Days
(Domestic)
(San Francisco, CA 94XXX)
(Weight: 0 LB 1.50 Oz)
(Estimated Delivery Date)
(Tuesday 04/21/2020)
(USPS Tracking #)
(XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XX)
Sign Conf

In-Transit
April 21, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
PROVIDENCE RI DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Be well out there.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

That’s some rotten news. I must admit all my stuffs been flowing nicely in the mail.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 4:59PM

There's good reason they may not survive the rest of this year without a bailout. They run the show like that from the top down.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had a purchase arrive at my local USPS distribution center in NJ, only to go on a 1300 mile round trip to Michigan and back again. Finally arrived this week. Bonkers indeed.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

I think Amazon should buy the USPS.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one would buy USPS, if you knew how much they carry in hidden costs you'd run screaming from any negotiation.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to delayed letters I am convinced that many or most times they are delivered to the wrong address and it takes that person a while to get it back to the PO.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Times are certainly tough for the USPS right now. I'm loathe to mail anything of significant value based on the current situation.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

No problems whatsoever here.

• Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I've been getting a lot of other peoples mail and having neighbors bring me our mail that was delivered to them. Seems like there is something wrong with their sorting machine or the new carriers are just not checking what is going into the boxes. Package delivery has been delayed at times but not too much more than normal.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my USPS folks...sent some 1/10oz AGEs to a board member who bought them.....registered shipping. ~3 days later, it was in his hands ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

USPS was moving mail through multiple resources, including their own. With limited flights, and many trucking companies looking for the best paying opportunities, the USPS is providing the best logistics they can.

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 7:24PM

Shipped a coin out to Michigan from Illinois back on April 3rd and never thought about it. Get a message today asking when I’m gonna ship it. Checked tracking and took from April 4th to the 13th to go from Chicago to Detroit and hasn’t been updated again since the 17th with the last comment being in transit to next facility.
    Shipped 7 coins out to Florida via 2 day priority small flat rate box. Shipped on the 13th, shows departing local PO on the 17th and nothing since.
    Only a total of about $350 and I do think they will show up but people aren’t gonna wait 6 weeks for them to get weeks for them to get there. Feeling ill be refunding payments and hoping to get paid again when they eventually get delivered.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are unusual times, HST, it seems my shipment via USPS from Amazon are always on time, not so much everything else. Hmm.....

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

I'm 8 days into waiting to receive a registered package. I know that's typical but Priority can be insured for the same amount and be there in 2-3 days. I prefer my packages be out the hands of the USPS as fast as possible.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob41281 said:
    Shipped a coin out to Michigan from Illinois back on April 3rd and never thought about it. Get a message today asking when I’m gonna ship it. Checked tracking and took from April 4th to the 13th to go from Chicago to Detroit and hasn’t been updated again since the 17th with the last comment being in transit to next facility.
    Shipped 7 coins out to Florida via 2 day priority small flat rate box. Shipped on the 13th, shows departing local PO on the 17th and nothing since.
    Only a total of about $350 and I do think they will show up but people aren’t gonna wait 6 weeks for them to get weeks for them to get there. Feeling ill be refunding payments and hoping to get paid again when they eventually get delivered.

This is one of the reasons why, whenever I ship something and have a tracking number, I always give it to the receiving party.
    About 2-3 weeks ago, I sent something to another forum member. Priority mail. Should have been there on a Friday. Wasn't. Nor Saturday.

However, I had sent him the tracking #, so he knew, before i even PMed him to tell him it was close, but not on time, where it was. He knew it wasn't me and he knew it was coming. Not much else a shipper can do.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    No one would buy USPS, if you knew how much they carry in hidden costs you'd run screaming from any negotiation.

USPS would crush UPS if they went public. I'd be interested in buying them if buying organizations like USPS was something I did.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am now 3+ weeks in a 7500$ claim over missing silver. The postal supervisor on the other end has been a bear to work with. First time I have EVER had a claim.

Internationally shipments are being delayed weeks

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

@Rob41281 said:

This is one of the reasons why, whenever I ship something and have a tracking number, I always give it to the receiving party.
    About 2-3 weeks ago, I sent something to another forum member. Priority mail. Should have been there on a Friday. Wasn't. Nor Saturday.

However, I had sent him the tracking #, so he knew, before i even PMed him to tell him it was close, but not on time, where it was. He knew it wasn't me and he knew it was coming. Not much else a shipper can do.

I do make a habit of sending tracking #’s to anybody who purchases something from me. eBay supplies it automatically when you print thru them. The Florida package is was an eBay sale. The Michigan package is to a guy who we’ve been sending packages back and forth multiple times a month for awhile so he was aware nothing was trying to be pulled on him scam wise.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There has been some irregularities in package deliveries lately... usually only by a couple of days so far. Understandable with the curtailed flights, reduced manpower etc.. In the past, for the most part, the USPS has been good for me... Though once my wife had a package go on a national tour for an extra week.... :o That was fun to watch. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been bad around me. Our normal mail guy of decades retired and there's been a trio of new guys and gals stopping by in his place and stuff has started to go missing. We've had 3 checks that we mailed out stolen out of the mail. One was altered from $1,500 to $8,500 and cashed. Same person attempted again this time they must have copied the altered check then altered that again a bit cause the amount was slightly different and the check number off by one digit. We're in a commercial district and I've walked around to different companies and all have said "yeah we've had things incoming and outgoing go missing".

Here's the part that drives me up the wall. NO ONE seems to care. The Post Office, Police, nor the banks. No one cares.

If you run a business that pays with checks I'd make sure to set up Positive Pay asap. It makes it impossible for crooks to cash a check because they hold them until you approve them (or they go through if you preapproved them when sending out).

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

we had a similar problem with fed ex ground. it went from Tennessee to California to Virginia to Ohio to Mass and three days later to New Hampshire. Took over two weeks, and the box looked like it was dragged behind the truck for the last ten miles.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS has been a pleasure for me to deal with, even during this shutdown. My wife is pregnant and her baby shower has been postponed (most likely cancelled) so people have been sending shower gifts directly to our house the last week or two.

Maybe I’m just lucky with the USPS but I package items securely that I sell and ship and I receive all my packages relatively timely. I get my GC packages in my PO Box 3 days after it ships and it goes from the west coast to the east coast.

I even gave my mail woman a $30 tip on Monday for dealing with the beginning of all the baby shower packages she’ll be delivering...

• Options
    edited April 22, 2020 10:54AM

@ms70 said:
    I'm 8 days into waiting to receive a registered package. I know that's typical but Priority can be insured for the same amount and be there in 2-3 days. I prefer my packages be out the hands of the USPS as fast as possible.

Quoting myself for an update..... The tracking for my eagerly awaited for and expensive REGISTERED package shows OUT FOR DELIVERY today. The carrier shows up.... he doesn't have it. I go to my local PO which is hated by most of the community with my mask and a printout of the tracking. I politely inquire and of course the reply comes with big attitude- "It was put on the wrong truck for delivery." I ask if I'll get it today and she says, "No. Tomorrow it will be on the right truck."

So when it came out of the special super secure "lock-up" cage that has to be signed in and out of, they can't even get it to the right truck. Any other company I'd say accidents happen. At USPS it's abundant.

So much for the precious Registered service.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife mailed a certified letter with signature confirmation from Boise, ID on March 30.
    I arrived in Denver, CO on April 17... and was not signed for.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:
    My wife mailed a certified letter with signature confirmation from Boise, ID on March 30.
    I arrived in Denver, CO on April 17... and was not signed for.

Signatures are not required during social distancing.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

The supposed new process for signature required USPS items from their website. Each post master and office seems to write their own rules though.

Will there be any modifications to Certified Mail or mail requiring signature deliveries with customers? If so, how will this be supported?

One significant measure being implemented is a temporary modification to mail handling procedures for mail that requires customer signatures. We recognize the close proximity and additional handling that occurs when employees must ask customers for a signature and government issued identification when required. To reduce health risks, we are temporarily modifying customer signature capture procedures. Effective immediately and until further notice, our employees will follow the temporary process below for signature service items. This process applies to all letter carriers:

Avoid ringing the doorbell when possible. Knock on the customer’s door. Avoid areas that may be frequently touched when knocking.

While maintaining a safe, appropriate distance, employees will request the customer’s first initial and last name.

For increased safety, employees will ask the customer to step back a safe distance or close the screen door/door so that they may leave the item in the mail receptacle or appropriate location by the customer door.

If there is no response, employees will follow the normal Notice Left process.

If there are delivery points on the route where social distancing recommendations are difficult to follow, alternative delivery methods can be explored. (Industry Alert – 3/20/20)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dealer shipped me a USPS priority package from the east coast on Monday. I picked it up here in rural Idaho today. Seems good here. :)

• Options

@BryceM said:
    A dealer shipped me a USPS priority package from the east coast on Monday. I picked it up here in rural Idaho today. Seems good here. :)

USPS service is highly variable now. Your next one might take a week.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still signing for signature required here. I do have a PO Box and don't receive mail at home.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Volumes are way down, service should be normal..

• Options
    edited April 22, 2020 8:14PM

I did my usual daily check to see where the parcel is located..."In Transit to Next Facility". That really goes against my grain...just be honest with the customer and say what you really mean..."It could be anywhere. We don't know".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm almost of the belief the system automatically enters that whether something is not moving or to cover a missed scan. It's almost always followed the next day with an arriving late message.

@oih82w8 said:
    I did my usual daily check to see where the parcel is located..."In Transit to Next Facility". That really goes against my grain...just be honest with the customer and say what you really mean..."It could be anywhere. We don't know".

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two packages in transit, both messed up. One express is not scanning and one set of coin books is now 5 days late and not scanning. Thankfully my PCGS order made it without issue. I’ll think twice before sending anything of value.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is the USPS and FedEx,,,,, UPS & DHL in general handling packages from overseas shippers from highly virus infected countries such as China,,,,,,, I ordered something and didn't realize the seller is in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan,,,, are they handling these package?

GrandAm :)
  • Options

"Your item arrived at the Post Office at 6:26 am on April 23, 2020 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94XXX"

It caught a cross-country aircraft apparently...or their tracking system is really messed up.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2020 1:26PM

@ms70 said:

@ms70 said:

Quoting myself for an update..... The tracking for my eagerly awaited for and expensive REGISTERED package shows OUT FOR DELIVERY today. The carrier shows up.... he doesn't have it. I go to my local PO which is hated by most of the community with my mask and a printout of the tracking. I politely inquire and of course the reply comes with big attitude- "It was put on the wrong truck for delivery." I ask if I'll get it today and she says, "No. Tomorrow it will be on the right truck."

So when it came out of the special super secure "lock-up" cage that has to be signed in and out of, they can't even get it to the right truck. Any other company I'd say accidents happen. At USPS it's abundant.

So much for the precious Registered service.

So here's the ridiculous 4/23 update......

So according to the lovely lady at the PO counter (and I say that with the most possible sarcasm), it would be delivered today. A different carrier than usual shows up and he says he doesn't have it. Don't know nuttin. I don my covid mask and off to the PO again. I get the same lovely lady again.... this time she must've had 1/2 a coffee... She takes the info, goes in the back and looks. About 7 or 8 minutes later she says it's on the truck for delivery.

I told her the carrier didn't have it, I was there when he came. She said they called him and....

he said he has it but nobody was home when he tried to deliver it.

I said I talked to him face to face and he doesn't have it. She said he has it and will deliver it in about 10 minutes. So I drive to my neighborhood and hunt him down like an assassin on a mission. I find him one street over, pull up behind him, get out and ask if he has it. He say yes, I have it but I didn't know it, blah blah blah.... Then he asks for my signature which I thought they were forgoing during the virus thing. I just did it and cleaned off with the anti-viral wipes in my car.

So this was a REGISTERED package. That means he should have signed for it when he left the building to deliver. It was shipped in a regular envelope with a slab of cardboard on each side WITH THE PRICE OF $22.70 ON THE POSTAGE STICKER. He knew there was something really pricey in that easy to lose envelope, not to mention he was shady and as far as I'm concerned a liar.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

Because they probably do know unless you want real time tracking with mile marker numbers like UPS has.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@Rob41281 said:

Communicate your intentions to refund first so everyone in the loop is made aware.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    "Your item arrived at the Post Office at 6:26 am on April 23, 2020 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94XXX"

It caught a cross-country aircraft apparently...or their tracking system is really messed up.

USPS tracking is definitely unreliable right now (even more so than usual). I've been waiting on a coin from the East Coast since last week, and tracking has indicated the dreaded "In transit to next destination" for several days. Today I went to the PO to pick up something else, and lo and behold, the coin was in my box! Tracking never got updated.

I also sold a music CD on eBay almost three weeks ago. Sent it Media Mail to a suburb of Chicago. It sat in the Chicago distribution center for ten days! Looks like it's finally out for delivery today.

• Options

@keets said:

on a related note, I saw something interesting this morning. it was a statement that has some weight to it --- The COVID-19 pandemic hasn't crippled America, it has exposed some very deep and troubling shortcomings in how our economy and society work. That has crippled America. the way the USPS functions and faults in supply and delivery will probably change as a result of this, for the better.

A lot of truth in that. Just look at how unprepared we were for the initial testing. If/when we re-open the country for business, we'll likely be just as unprepared for the needed testing as we were 2 months ago.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2020 2:04PM

I mailed couple packages recently all arrived ok, maybe one or two days delay. International mail is big delay

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

All of my packages are arriving safely, although a little late. I live near Philly and many of my packages are going up to Trenton, NJ or somewhere else up there before they go out to their locations (such as California).

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options

Well, at least it made it to its designated address;

Your item was delivered at 1:16 pm on April 23, 2020 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94XXX. The item was signed for by I.B. LATE

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am expecting a book from Kentucky that is due to be delivered between 4/24-29. Here's hoping.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2020 4:53AM

Holy smokes...5 days from Pittsburgh to Newport Beach. (registered mail)
    I think that is a new record.

Curiously...
    I was about to show ID after presenting one of those notices of missed delivery at the post office.
    The guy showed no emotion or interest and just said..."You're known to us".
    Another worker within earshot turned around and seemed to confirm what he said with the same look.
    Not sure how to take that. :|

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    the USPS receives undo criticism and many wrongly believe it gets funds from our Uncle. the twist in that being that Congress keeps wanting to regulate the USPS and tell it how to run. it always amuses me to see people complain about stamp prices and other costs. the USPS is a bargain no matter how I look at it.

all that said, it's true they seem to be suffering right now but a lot of the problems are tied to vendors. right now I'm waiting on four packages and the thing to remember is this --- where are the products I'm waiting on manufactured?? it seems clear to me that even when I'm ordering from an entity in the continental US that the products come from........................China!!! that fact combined with the "Lean" standards that everyone seems to employ really slow things down in today's circumstances. but, I am patient and nothing I'm waiting on is crucial for survival.

on a related note, I saw something interesting this morning. it was a statement that has some weight to it --- The COVID-19 pandemic hasn't crippled America, it has exposed some very deep and troubling shortcomings in how our economy and society work. That has crippled America. the way the USPS functions and faults in supply and delivery will probably change as a result of this, for the better.

This 100%. In my area of work the crippling, parasitic, nature of the way the system 'works' has been appalling. Sadly, things will settle into a new normal and people will forget and the public gaslighting will start. " Whhaaattt? We never gave you a non-contracted pay cut. You will keep this new salary at the same pay as your cut hours and be glad you have a job".

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

with regards to the USPS service it comes to me that certain geographical areas have more problems, certain local and/or regional facilities have more problems and for some unknown reason certain packages seem to have problems.

my worst USPS problem involving a lost package was really weird. It was the one and only time I have ever used ANACS. I mailed the package at the local PO and it showed via tracking as being in the Cleveland Regional facility for about two weeks before I inquired. nothing unusual for a Registered package, but I started to worry around a month and was getting ready to file a claim when the package arrived. It had gone through the entire USPS system to Colorado, gotten into and out of ANACS, then returned through the USPS system without a single notice from anyone, anywhere at any time.

my conclusion is that sometimes there can be an entry that is bad, maybe a number wrong by a clerk somewhere, and the package becomes unknown to everyone but is still in the system.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file