Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan mania

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Not many people know that before every game, Michael Jordan ate graham crackers with applesauce spread on them. In 1996 at Utah, Michael Jordan had run out of applesauce before playing the Jazz. The ballboy for the Utah Jazz, Preston Truman, was in the Bulls lockerroom when Jordan looked over at him and said, "If you don't find me some applesauce quickly, you're not going to get any autographs after the game". So Preston raced around the stadium kitchen's in a panic, looking for applesauce and finally found a huge jar in one of the kitchens. He took the jar back to Jordan as fast as he could, and Jordan looked impressed.

Fastforward to one year later, game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals. This game will forever be known as the Flu game. Michael Jordan was hooked up to an IV before the game due to dehydration and flu like symptoms, when Preston Truman walked up to him and said," what are you doing with your shoes after the game?" Michael looked up at him and said "do you want them"?, and Preston said Yes! That night Jordan put on a legendary performance, dropping 38 points in 44 minutes on the Jazz, and carrying his Bulls to victory, all the while being horribly sick the entire game. During the game, Preston Truman could be seen handing Jordan a towel and putting his hand on Jordan's back during breaks in the game. After the game, Jordan kept his word, and gave Preston Truman his shoes. Preston asked Jordan if he would autograph them and Jordan said yes, and he had pictures taken of the occasion.

Great story! I read another more detailed one about the day of the Flu game awhile back where he had also been sick the night before and hadn't been able to sleep that night so the trainer gave him sleep medicine earlier in the day before the flu game hoping he'd be able to get some rest,he didn't then obviously played. True or not,it just adds to the aura of that performance.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:
    Not many people know that before every game, Michael Jordan ate graham crackers with applesauce spread on them. In 1996 at Utah, Michael Jordan had run out of applesauce before playing the Jazz. The ballboy for the Utah Jazz, Preston Truman, was in the Bulls lockerroom when Jordan looked over at him and said, "If you don't find me some applesauce quickly, you're not going to get any autographs after the game". So Preston raced around the stadium kitchen's in a panic, looking for applesauce and finally found a huge jar in one of the kitchens. He took the jar back to Jordan as fast as he could, and Jordan looked impressed.

Fastforward to one year later, game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals. This game will forever be known as the Flu game. Michael Jordan was hooked up to an IV before the game due to dehydration and flu like symptoms, when Preston Truman walked up to him and said," what are you doing with your shoes after the game?" Michael looked up at him and said "do you want them"?, and Preston said Yes! That night Jordan put on a legendary performance, dropping 38 points in 44 minutes on the Jazz, and carrying his Bulls to victory, all the while being horribly sick the entire game. During the game, Preston Truman could be seen handing Jordan a towel and putting his hand on Jordan's back during breaks in the game. After the game, Jordan kept his word, and gave Preston Truman his shoes. Preston asked Jordan if he would autograph them and Jordan said yes, and he had pictures taken of the occasion.

Great story! I read another more detailed one about the day of the Flu game awhile back where he had also been sick the night before and hadn't been able to sleep that night so the trainer gave him sleep medicine earlier in the day before the flu game hoping he'd be able to get some rest,he didn't then obviously played. True or not,it just adds to the aura of that performance.

I remember watching that game, and thinking to myself how bad he looked physically. You could see it in his face, and his body language. He would put his hands on his knees and put his head down, and he just looked awful. I remember Scottie Pippen helping him off the court and realizing how bad he truly felt. Jordan said later that he almost played himself into passing out. He just couldn't let the Bulls lose, it was the Finals, and he wanted that 5th title badly.

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    i bought and sold plenty of jordans...the INSANE bump going on can not last. if you have jordans now is the time to sell. there are just so many jordan cards out there that from a pure economics standpoint, the prices can not stay this high.

Having said that, and after watching episode 1 and 2 i have NO IDEA why this documentary is brining in the $$$$ for the bulls. clearly people have money to burn...

Oh really?? Well, I don't agree. How about if they keep going up??? Now what??

chaz

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Ok. They won’t. Sell now.

• Options

@momo1234 said:
    Ok. They won’t. Sell now.

You're Blind. If they are going up in crap times like now, what are they gonna do when times are good??? Go Down??
    Give me a break.

chaz

• Options

Ok. Good luck. Won’t happen. People have stacks from trump now. MJ hype for some reason is big. These cards are in too much supply in every grade.

• Options

@momo1234 said:
    Ok. Good luck. Won’t happen. People have stacks from trump now. MJ hype for some reason is big. These cards are in too much supply in every grade.

Like I said you are BLIND. That's what they said about 80' topps baseball. For years I heard it....Overproduction...just checked.... $1800.00/box. I guess it's overproduced....You forget basic economics and you forget about DEMAND. You must be a newbie.

chaz

• Options

the proof of the pudding is in the eating

• Options

@momo1234 said:
    the proof of the pudding is in the eating

whatever...

chaz

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

@erikthredd said:
    The one cool thing about this MJ frenzy is I'm seeing a lot of his rarer cards pop up for sale that usually don't,here's one below. Disclaimer: I don't own this card or know the owner, I just know that it's arguably one of MJ's rarest cards ever.

An interesting 89 card because that’s a 1985 picture from the all star game.

Not the all-star game I'm afraid. The '85 dunk competition.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:

Not just that. People list for super high prices, then make their friends “buy”(bid/win) for super high prices... then it’s relisted again.

All this is in hopes they get the unknowledgeable to believe all the fake past sales, and then fall in the trap.

Then average joe comes along with that same card, lists it, and it sells for 100x less... lol won buy those very people hyping the cards.

Then the process starts all over again.

I haven’t purchased a Jordan card since they started this hype and shill nonsense back in 2007. A few decided to start buying Jordan PMG’s numbered to /100 for $300 a pop, and keep hyping and hyping them.

Then they continued the process with pretty much all the low serial numbered cards. Now it seems they’re even trying to hype and shill the BASE cards from those very sets 😆 smh

I stay away from Michael Jordan all together. There are plenty of fish in the sea... not going to fund any get out of my moms basement deals.

That is all.

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options

Boom ! @KingBen u got it. Same with what Orher social media “sensations” do. Decided they are going to buy every card of a player and then just start posting about how everyone needs to invest in that player.
    All a game.

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    Boom ! @KingBen u got it. Same with what Orher social media “sensations” do. Decided they are going to buy every card of a player and then just start posting about how everyone needs to invest in that player.
    All a game.

Glad I’m not the only one who figured out their scam. 👍🏼

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options

It's up to $6,100 with 5 days to go in the auction, and it has 134 watchers. I'm interested to see how high it goes. This is an awesome Jordan card.

• Options

Check out this item, it's Michael Jordan's UNC ID card, and it's for sale on Ebay, and it's only $149,000.

• Options

I think you are all being taken for a ride by around 100 people manipulating the price once they dump their cards you will see all of these prices fall like the Etopps cards its probably the same people who did the Etopps price manipulation. You are like a flock of birds all it takes is a few to fly away and the rest follow. To think there could be thousands of examples of cards all valued at tens of thousands of dollars is absurd this bubble is going to burst like the Hindenburg blimp.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please tell us what to collect o wise one! :D

• Options

@maddux69 said:
    Please tell us what to collect o wise one! :D

Michael Jordan Pogs,baby!!

• Options

I guess I better go ahead and sell this while I can get a few dollars out of it. If it’s not gone by tomorrow it will go back in the junk pile! (Kidding of course, don’t you vultures flood me with pms :D)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2020 1:27PM

@maddux69 said:
    I guess I better go ahead and sell this while I can get a few dollars out of it. If it’s not gone by tomorrow it will go back in the junk pile! (Kidding of course, don’t you vultures flood me with pms :D)

Claimed! Where do I send my few dollars? B)
    Great jersey! Game used?

• Options

Check out this 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card printing plate.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Claimed! Where do I send my few dollars? B)
    Great jersey! Game used?

I wish, it is Upper Deck Authenticated and commemorative of his retirement season. I am sure the documentary will shed a little more light on what brought him to make the decision. With Pippen and Jackson gone, I am sure his "desire to play at a high level" was more being unhappy with the Bulls organization.

• Options

The whole Jordan scene is just fascinating right now. Check out this bad mamma jamma, Panini Supersport Jordan with Italian back. $35,000.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    The whole Jordan scene is just fascinating right now. Check out this bad mamma jamma, Panini Supersport Jordan with Italian back. $35,000.

My hat trick comes close to that one,although all three need to be reholdered at some point.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

My hat trick comes close to that one,although all three need to be reholdered at some point.

That is awesome stuff!

• Options
    edited April 21, 2020 5:07PM

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

That is awesome stuff!

One thing I've never come across yet is how rare these were pack odds wise or if were they just distributed evenly.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

That is awesome stuff!

One thing I've never come across yet is how rare these were pack odds wise or if were they just distributed evenly.

I'm not sure either, in the listing for the italian copy that I posted, it says "Rare Back", but I'm not sure what the were. All three look really cool!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm not sure either, in the listing for the italian copy that I posted, it says "Rare Back", but I'm not sure what the were. All three look really cool!

He was likely thinking of this:

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I bought the set of these with the Jordan I sold because it had the more rare Gritti back. It seems to me that the primary version is about 70% or more of what you see and then it is split between the other two just like this break down.

Boxing doesn't have the following that basketball does and specifically Jordan so you will never see these multipliers on the Tyson but the two more rare backs are certainly much more desired than the standard soccer back and the prices are higher.

I was very happy that the PSA 6 sold for $123. When I first bought the set I used a break up value of $100 on the Jordan sticker because of the eye appeal and so when it graded a 6 I wasn't happy and now that it sold for essentially that value minus grading and EBAY fees the purchase is more inline with a break even.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I bought the set of these with the Jordan I sold because it had the more rare Gritti back. It seems to me that the primary version is about 70% or more of what you see and then it is split between the other two just like this break down.

Boxing doesn't have the following that basketball does and specifically Jordan so you will never see these multipliers on the Tyson but the two more rare backs are certainly much more desired than the standard soccer back and the prices are higher.

I was very happy that the PSA 6 sold for $123. When I first bought the set I used a break up value of $100 on the Jordan sticker because of the eye appeal and so when it graded a 6 I wasn't happy and now that it sold for essentially that value minus grading and EBAY fees the purchase is more inline with a break even.

Is Gritti the soccer playor or boxer on the other side of Tyson? I think that one thing that might have hurt your sale just a little thru no fault of your own was there happens to be a TON of these Jordan 88 Panini SS stickers up for sale right now. There was such a wide range of grades,BIN prices and sticker variations from both PSA & BGS that it might have kept it lower than had it auctioned a month or two ago. That is the most amount I've ever seen of these stickers listed all at once. $123 was still pretty decent. I sold my 88 Panini Spanish Jordan PSA 6 about a month ago as a BIN and took offers on it and settled on $70 IIRC. I sold to eventually fund an upgrade which I paid for last night,$270 for a PSA 9. Hopefully its in hand by the end of the week.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Is Gritti the soccer playor or boxer on the other side of Tyson? I think that one thing that might have hurt your sale just a little thru no fault of your own was there happens to be a TON of these Jordan 88 Panini SS stickers up for sale right now. There was such a wide range of grades,BIN prices and sticker variations from both PSA & BGS that it might have kept it lower than had it auctioned a month or two ago. That is the most amount I've ever seen of these stickers listed all at once. $123 was still pretty decent. I sold my 88 Panini Spanish Jordan PSA 6 about a month ago as a BIN and took offers on it and settled on $70 IIRC. I sold to eventually fund an upgrade which I paid for last night,$270 for a PSA 9. Hopefully its in hand by the end of the week.

Yes Gritti is the rare soccer player on the back. There are three backs like the Jordan.

I haven't looked at prices of these frequently other than doing an EBAY search and seeing limited sales in the data that is available but this was a $40 sticker a year ago so whatever the case may be I am happy to get my cash out of it and it confirms the market for Jordan is strong with a large number of page views, 26 watchers and a strong final price for a sticker that generally only sells well in the top grades. I will take it!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@UFFDAH said:

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥That is awesome!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon - thanks much. Jordan's are fun to collect!!

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

Did you ask PSA to put the 1/1 on the flip, or have they started following suit, as SGC does, with putting serial numbers on flips? Or maybe they are only going to do it for 1/1's?

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 3:22PM

They put 1/1 on the flip for 1/1s. The MJ bandwagon is definitely standing room only these days.

That jersey is hot. And that UNC ID is kinda fresh, too.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 5:40PM

@Nets18 said:

Pop: 5, Pop Higher: 1

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

@Nets18 =

I may or may not be responsible for a whole lot of the 1993 UD Toon World PSA Jordan's in the pop report
    Looked at a few of my past subs and yep- there they were (June 2019 subs)
    Every one of the below pictures Jordan on it
    Those holograms are just a damn bear to gem pack fresh or not

1 1 43892009 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 2 Act 1, Scene 17
    2 1 43892010 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 4 Act 1, Scene 13
    3 1 43892011 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 4 Act 1, Scene 13
    4 1 43892012 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 10, Scene 7 Act 10, Scene 10
    9 1 43884286 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 4 Act 1, Scene 13
    10 1 43884287 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 4 Act 1, Scene 13
    11 1 43884288 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 2 Act 1, Scene 17
    12 1 43884289 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 10, Scene 7 Act 10, Scene 10
    1 1 43979638 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 2 Act 1, Scene 17
    2 1 43979639 GEM MINT 10 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Act 1, Scene 2 Act 1, Scene 17

3 1 43979640 MINT 9 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Reggie Jackson/Bugs/Michael Jordan Hologram
    5 1 43892013 MINT 9 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Michael Jordan/Reggie Jackson/Wayne Gretzky/Joe Montana Hologram
    13 1 43884290 MINT 9 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Michael Jordan/Reggie Jackson/Wayne Gretzky/Joe Montana Hologram
    4 1 43979641 MINT 9 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Michael Jordan/Reggie Jackson/Wayne Gretzky/Joe Montana Hologram
    5 1 43979642 MINT 9 1993 Upper Deck Adventures in Toon World Michael Jordan/Reggie Jackson/Wayne Gretzky/Joe Montana Hologram

• Options

Check out these Upper Deck 3d motion Jordan cards. They show some of Jordans greatest moments, and when you move the cards, you get to see the moment play out. Obviously, as usual, I don't own them, so I'll show you the moment using a gif. You can never get enough of watching Jordan!

• Options

I've got that five card set sitting in a shoebox here somewhere. That Cavs game winner was my favorite, I remember watching that game as a kid and freaking out when he hit that shot over Ehlo. Poor Ehlo, thought he just hit his own game winner seconds before then Mike ruins his night lol. B)

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I've got that five card set sitting in a shoebox here somewhere. That Cavs game winner was my favorite, I remember watching that game as a kid and freaking out when he hit that shot over Ehlo. Poor Ehlo, thought he just hit his own game winner seconds before then Mike ruins his night lol. B)

I love it when Jordan does the fist pumps after he hits the shot!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

IIRC that was the first time his Bulls made it out of the first round.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

IIRC that was the first time his Bulls made it out of the first round.

I think that's right. That was before the Phil Jackson era started, and Doug Collins was the coach.

• Options

Check this out, it's a 1984 Olympic basketball gold medal finals game ticket, and it's graded a PSA 10. It's a pop of 1, and it's awesome. What's a thing like this cost you ask? The price is $101,984.23

If you'll notice the asking price has 1984 and 23. I'm assuming the seller did that on purpose. ;)

• Options

This is pretty cool.

• Options

So if I create a Micheal Jordan card and say its 1 of 1 you people will pay me 1 million dollars for it?
    This is what I don't get about modern cards at least with vintage cards the rarity is real because are mothers threw out the cards when we grew up. A card company makes 10 cards that cost them $10 dollars to make not counting the license fee to the athlete and you people bid these $1 dollar cards to the moon I just don't get it please explain this to me I am from a different time when we paid 5 cents for a 1968 Mantle and we even got gum with it and threw away those ugly yellow wrappers. Also here is some news for you back in 1968 it was Willie Mays that was the big card because he could still play Mantle was finished by 68 in his last year.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@rmilin said:
    So if I create a Micheal Jordan card and say its 1 of 1 you people will pay me 1 million dollars for it?
    This is what I don't get about modern cards at least with vintage cards the rarity is real because are mothers threw out the cards when we grew up. A card company makes 10 cards that cost them $10 dollars to make not counting the license fee to the athlete and you people bid these $1 dollar cards to the moon I just don't get it please explain this to me I am from a different time when we paid 5 cents for a 1968 Mantle and we even got gum with it and threw away those ugly yellow wrappers. Also here is some news for you back in 1968 it was Willie Mays that was the big card because he could still play Mantle was finished by 68 in his last year.

It's not easy to explain the unexplainable. I too find some prices shocking.
    Basically the collector's gene. The new modern might have a limited production run.

Me, I'm a fan of vintage as well. Although I chase after modern rookie cards

• Options

I think the only unopened pack cooler than this one would be one with his RC on top and his sticker on bottom. Any thoughts on what this might sell for? Currently at 14K with over two weeks to to go.
    https://goldinauctions.com/Incredible_1986_Fleer_Basketball_Unopened_Wax_Pack-LOT60325.aspx

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I think the only unopened pack cooler than this one would be one with his RC on top and his sticker on bottom. Any thoughts on what this might sell for? Currently at 14K with over two weeks to to go.
    https://goldinauctions.com/Incredible_1986_Fleer_Basketball_Unopened_Wax_Pack-LOT60325.aspx

I'm not sure what that pack will go for, but I'll be watching to see. I was looking for a picture of the unopened pack with his rookie card in top and sticker on back, and found this one. I had never seen one before. It is awesome!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm not sure what that pack will go for, but I'll be watching to see. I was looking for a picture of the unopened pack with his rookie card in top and sticker on back, and found this one. I had never seen one before. It is awesome!

Yup,that just got added to my whale wishlist.