Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan mania

1235»

Comments

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

bought from Probstein several years ago. Now these are just stupid expensive.

• Options

overpaid at the time for around $140

• Options

I want to say $550

• Options

One of my favorite cards

• Options

Grossly overpaid at the time for $525

• Options
    edited February 12, 2022 4:53PM

This card has a weird story. It was purchased as pictured off eBay for the then-absurd price of $4,500. I think it's still a pop 7 or 8.

When I received the card, it was in a fresh PSA case w/ the silver logo at bottom. The seller had the card reholdered but was pictured in the old slab.

A rare bit of good luck!

• Options

My first Jordan Fleer RC. Back in the day, was a $2,500 card!

• Options

So, looking at prices of my collection, Jordan mania continues. One of the safer long-term collecting investments IMHO.

• Options

@Kep13 said:

@hslice said:
    Do you guys think Jordan's card values are at the peak now and will drop drastically in the next year?

A lot of his cards from the early 90's have already taken a dramatic swoon from the prices they were at during the documentary....

;)

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like any investment, depends on what your entry point is/was. The folks that bought the 2 Goldin 86 dimes @ 750K are down 70%, the folks that bought in 2021 at a 400K average are down 35%, etc.

Anyone in early has crushed it.

But prices are way off ATH's. Lots of bag holders entered recently.

@voxels123 said:
    So, looking at prices of my collection, Jordan mania continues. One of the safer long-term collecting investments IMHO.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 9:42AM

@80sOPC said:
    Like any investment, depends on what your entry point is/was. The folks that bought the 2 Goldin 86 dimes @ 750K are down 70%, the folks that bought in 2021 at a 400K average are down 35%, etc.

Anyone in early has crushed it.

But prices are way off ATH's. Lots of bag holders entered recently.

@voxels123 said:

Yes, well said, 90sOPC, if we're talking collecting/investing instead of just collecting, it definitely all depends when one bought.

The guys who were sucked in by the manipulation of the 86F and bought 9s at 50-70k in that brief window of time, they are not happy. The 9s have settled well below that now.

Nor are the guys who bought the 10s at 750k. The Jordans have tanked since those spikes, assuming even a few of those sales were real transactions.

My brother collects primarily Jordan and shifted gears when all that craziness was happening; he sold some stuff into the wave and then found great under the radar buys of signed vintage Jordan cards during that time.

For deep collection stuff he and I always laugh because in reality it doesn't matter what the cards are worth when you're so attached to them you'd only sell in the most dire of circumstances.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Back in 2015, I was able to get this card (which was valued at about $1900 at the time) off a fellow board member. Traded a 1957 Ted Williams PSA 8 along with $1000 cash. I think I made out okay :wink: Still have this one in my collection.

• Options

The Beam Team is a classic and when it is signed looks insanely dope. Not sure how many exist signed but my bro has one and the auto just pops.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 87 Jordan, need one

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Love seeing these oddball and obscure Jordan cards here are a few from my collection .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this at the National in Chicago for $35 in 1993. Lost it for a few decades and found it again. Need to get slabbed.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought several of the MJ's Star cards over the last few years and this has to be one of my favorites. I wish PSA would grade these,

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

I have about $350 into these 4. Sold one of the 8s for $27,500 and one of the 7s for $17,500 during the covid peak. Thank you KC for bitching about my sale price when i tried to sell them here for $7,000 and $4,000 respectively a month earlier.

Brian

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 86 and 87. Cost basis of 8k total. No complaints.

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

would love to hear how these auto cards collections were obtained...in person, Ebay? card shows? seems like quit an amazing collection.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    would love to hear how these auto cards collections were obtained...in person, Ebay? card shows? seems like quit an amazing collection.

obtained via having a large amount of money.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2022 12:27PM

I am in awe every time I look at that signed Jordan collection up there. Such microscopic low pops on all of those. I also admire the years and years Centered Mantles/Greg put into learning every nuance of MJ's signature. That is real hardcore collecting right there. Subjectively, I much prefer those signed now-vintage MJs than the more recent signed cards that were limited intentionally and distributed in packs. Today his auto is so hard to get.

Some of those are so low pop that you just have to take what you can get in terms of the card itself, but the centering on the 86F is bananas for a card, let alone signed.

My next favorites are the 88 dunking All Star (because of how the auto is just so bold and pops to the eye), the 89 sticker (because of that centering), and the Beam Team (again, that auto just pops).