Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan mania

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 2:27PM

Saw this mentioned over on BO and don't remember hearing about it a couple months back. Seven boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball boxes were found in a storage unit sale that sold for $1000. Goldin Auctions is currently auctioning off two lots of 3 boxes each and one single box,here's more info on the auction and one incredible find.
    https://goldinauctions.com/1986_87_Fleer_Basketball_Unopened_Wax_Boxes_Trio__-LOT58747.aspx

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1986-87-fleer-basketball-box-storage-unit-find/?fbclid=IwAR0rRkXhZtuhxkWatGm6Li9iDvWFJ2_IAgpbiSnCkepyF-zIBcCuU83TeP8

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card sold for $51,989 at auction in 2016, and is limited to 72 copies.

• Options

@Nets18 said:
    Great cards! Here are a few of my rare and oddball Jordan's:

Pop: 24, Pop Higher: 15

Pop: 12, Pop Higher: 11

Pop: 6, Pop Higher: 3

Pop: 4, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 8, Pop Higher: 2

Pop: 1, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 10, Pop Higher: 1

Pop: 9, Pop Higher: 7

Pop: 5, Pop Higher: 1

Pop: 17, Pop Higher: 2

Pop: 11, Pop Higher: 2

Pop: 8, Pop Higher: 5

Pop: 6, Pop Higher: 4

Awesome Jordans!

• Options

Pop: 2, Pop Higher: 5

Pop: 18, Pop Higher: 6

Pop: 17, Pop Higher: 1

Pop: 3, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 1, Pop Higher: 1

Pop: 11, Pop Higher: 4

Pop: 8, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 3, Pop Higher: 2

Rookie Card & Michael Jordan Card Collector

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Saw this mentioned over on BO and don't remember hearing about it a couple months back. Seven boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball boxes were found in a storage unit sale that sold for $1000. Goldin Auctions is currently auctioning off two lots of 3 boxes each and one single box,here's more info on the auction and one incredible find.
    https://goldinauctions.com/1986_87_Fleer_Basketball_Unopened_Wax_Boxes_Trio__-LOT58747.aspx

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1986-87-fleer-basketball-box-storage-unit-find/?fbclid=IwAR0rRkXhZtuhxkWatGm6Li9iDvWFJ2_IAgpbiSnCkepyF-zIBcCuU83TeP8

That is unbelievable, I had no idea about this discovery. The auction is up to $120,000 with 29 days to go. I'll be keeping an eye on this auction for sure.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kind of cards @Nets18 ! Foreign, handcut, perforated, and random oddballs. Welcome to the forum.

• Options

Yes @Nets18 those are awesome cards!

• Options

Pop: 7, Pop Higher: 2

Pop: 4, Pop Higher: 2

Pop: 2, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 4, Pop Higher: 3

Pop: 8, Pop Higher: 3

Pop: 11, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 5, Pop Higher: 0

Pop: 4, Pop Higher: 11

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Oh some really awesome cards in there. Here’s my favorite Jordan oddity card:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group of Jordan cardboard.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Here is three of the seven boxes of unopened 1986 Fleer found in the storage unit in the Midwest find that are up for auction right now at Goldin Auctions. The price is still up to $120,000 with 28 days left in the auction. It is staggering to think of the impact that Michael Jordan has made on this hobby. His cards are just on fire.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@countdouglas said:

@Horse said:
    I own the lamest Jordan card that was ever made. Got any worse ?

Challenge accepted!

😂😂 That's horrible!

Yes, yes it is...

Here are a few unlicensed "Broder" type cards, and one that I believe was from BallStreet Magazine. Worth pennies, if that, but I have them in an album that I thumb through just for personal enjoyment.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Wow! Awesome oddball/inserts! Love it! Brings back a lot of memories! My only complaint is why doesn't PSA not fix that ugly Mylar sleeve? Go with what BGS uses or come up with something more attractive?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2020 4:59AM

@countdouglas said:

@doubledragon said:

@countdouglas said:

@Horse said:
    I own the lamest Jordan card that was ever made. Got any worse ?

Challenge accepted!

😂😂 That's horrible!

Yes, yes it is...

Here are a few unlicensed "Broder" type cards, and one that I believe was from BallStreet Magazine. Worth pennies, if that, but I have them in an album that I thumb through just for personal enjoyment.

Man, I haven't seen some of those in years! They bring back memories of my early days of collecting. Great stuff!

• Options

Platinum Portrait.

• Options

Pop: 6, Pop Higher: 6

Pop: 2, Pop Higher: 1

Pop: 7, Pop Higher: 5

• Options

1995-96 Picture Perfect Game

Collector Focus

• Options
    edited April 18, 2020 9:51AM

Awesome.

• Options

Here are some my favorite Jordan inserts from my collection:

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rackville

• Options

@Nets18 and @dan89 great stuff guys!

Soul of the game.

• Options

@countdouglas awesome Jordan figures!

• Options

Check out these game worn original Nike Air Jordan 1 shoes. These were worn by Michael Jordan himself when he played against the Boston Celtics in 1986. They were customized for him with straps so he could adjust them because he was just returning from an injury at the time.

• Options

I have this one because of Griffey and Gretzky but Jordan is on it too!!

Collector Focus

• Options

The Jordan train keeps rolling with Fusion Titanium.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

Jordan looks like such a stud in the rookie year card pic. These are awesome!

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

I agree. He looks ready to take on all comers by himself.

I know the figurines themselves aren't for everyone. They take up a lot of storage space and are difficult to display. But, considering that the trading cards that were included with the SLUs are some of the more relatively limited print runs from that era, I've always wondered why there wasn't more traction in the card portion of SLU collecting, for all superstar players, not just Jordan.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I know the figurines themselves aren't for everyone. They take up a lot of storage space and are difficult to display. But, considering that the trading cards that were included with the SLUs are some of the more relatively limited print runs from that era, I've always wondered why there wasn't more traction in the card portion of SLU collecting, for all superstar players, not just Jordan.

I think one thing that might be hurting the popularity of SLU cards are they often get pretty mangled inside the package and some are tough to find in decent condition let alone high grade.
    I've been trying to collect MJ's whole SLU run in PSA 8 but haven't added to it in awhile. Here's how far I got to this point,the 89 On on One was the only one of the group that came from a package that i opened then subbed myself.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@countdouglas said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I think one thing that might be hurting the popularity of SLU cards are they often get pretty mangled inside the package and some are tough to find in decent condition let alone high grade.
    I've been trying to collect MJ's whole SLU run in PSA 8 but haven't added to it in awhile. Here's how far I got to this point,the 89 On on One was the only one of the group that came from a package that i opened then subbed myself.

It seems like just about every Jordan card you see he looks like the man.

I watched this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwwUUXz-A3w

Man he was just that good!

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@erikthredd said:

@countdouglas said:

@Dpeck100 said:

It seems like just about every Jordan card you see he looks like the man.

I watched this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwwUUXz-A3w

Man he was just that good!

His play over the years has definitely provided so many great card images to choose from. Just that image from the 1991 card I just posted has been used numerous times including on a Legends card halfway up this page.

• Options

@erikthredd Nice run! I agree about the difficulty in finding the SLU trading cards in high grade, which is the reason I wonder why the prices/desirability aren't much higher than they are. It's not a prefect comparison, but I'd suggest that they are similar to the food issued/oddball cards of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and some of those are extremely sought after. The SLU cards aren't all that commonly found loose/raw in the wild, either. I would think that condition/availability issues would in turn drive prices of the unopened figures up, but you can find many new on card SLU figures today for practically the same price, or even less, than what they cost upon release. Oh well, it helps keeps my pursuit of them well under budget that way.

• Options

This is the most expensive Michael Jordan card on Ebay, it is a 1997 Upper Deck Autographed game used All Star jersey card. It is a BIN for $1,500,000 that's right, $1.5 million or best offer and has 833 watchers.

• Options

I love this image of Jordan on this card. Fly Superman, Fly!

• Options

Dunk 'N Go Nuts.

• Options

Check out Jordan's 1992 Olympics ID card.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really have anything too cool of Jordan but I always loved the POS displays for SP and SPx and so I picked up one of these about a year ago. If I remember correctly it's about 18" tall and they're tough to find with their tabs still intact and a clean, undamaged basketball.

Arthur

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Neatest thing I've seen in a while!

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:

@doubledragon said:

Neatest thing I've seen in a while!

Yes, and that was one heck of a team we had at the 1992 Olympics!

• Options

This is a 1995 Upper Deck SP card. It was printed over a Latrell Sprewell card, and is on Ebay listed as a 1/1 overprint. What's the asking price you ask? Try $925,000 and no your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, that's $925,000.

• Options

Looks like the ghost of Latrell Sprewel is trying to choke Mike out with a Warriors logo.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Always loved the Flair Hot Numbers!

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

Not many people know that before every game, Michael Jordan ate graham crackers with applesauce spread on them. In 1996 at Utah, Michael Jordan had run out of applesauce before playing the Jazz. The ballboy for the Utah Jazz, Preston Truman, was in the Bulls lockerroom when Jordan looked over at him and said, "If you don't find me some applesauce quickly, you're not going to get any autographs after the game". So Preston raced around the stadium kitchen's in a panic, looking for applesauce and finally found a huge jar in one of the kitchens. He took the jar back to Jordan as fast as he could, and Jordan looked impressed.

Fastforward to one year later, game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals. This game will forever be known as the Flu game. Michael Jordan was hooked up to an IV before the game due to dehydration and flu like symptoms, when Preston Truman walked up to him and said," what are you doing with your shoes after the game?" Michael looked up at him and said "do you want them"?, and Preston said Yes! That night Jordan put on a legendary performance, dropping 38 points in 44 minutes on the Jazz, and carrying his Bulls to victory, all the while being horribly sick the entire game. During the game, Preston Truman could be seen handing Jordan a towel and putting his hand on Jordan's back during breaks in the game. After the game, Jordan kept his word, and gave Preston Truman his shoes. Preston asked Jordan if he would autograph them and Jordan said yes, and he had pictures taken of the occasion.

In 2013, Preston Truman, grown by now with two daughter, decided that he wanted to sell the autographed flu game shoes because he wanted to use the money toward his daughters future. The shoes sat in a bank safe deposit box for 15 years, and in the shoes were put up for auction in 2013, and sold for $104,765.

The flu game shoes.

Preston Truman sitting near Jordan in a game in Utah.

Preston Truman gives Michael Jordan a towel during a game at Utah.

After the flu game, Jordan gives Preston Truman his shoes, and autographs them.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I showed this one before.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

i bought and sold plenty of jordans...the INSANE bump going on can not last. if you have jordans now is the time to sell. there are just so many jordan cards out there that from a pure economics standpoint, the prices can not stay this high.

Having said that, and after watching episode 1 and 2 i have NO IDEA why this documentary is brining in the $$$$ for the bulls. clearly people have money to burn...