Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any of you OG’s wanna tell us about the 1980’s??

So as we now have sooooooo much free time I’m hoping perhaps some of our veteran numismatists who were around in this game wouldn’t mind sharing some tales of the 1980’s. I’m 42 so I was just a kid back then. But I’ve read and heard a few tales of crazy prices driven by speculation and months on end waits for slabs at the dawn of their being.

I’d love to hear some great elaborations of the things that went on. I’m truly fascinated by this time period of numismatics. Please tell us some secrets, some craziness, a grand comparison to the now. PLEASE give us your wisdom and tell us of your successes AND failings. This thread could be awesome!

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

Comments

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in my 80's days, my collecting only consisted of saving coins in circulation. As they got stolen a long time ago, I still don't think I really had anything worth crying about today. :)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had just received our GSA Carson City Mint silver dollars.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 10:41AM

I was a youngin’, too, only a few years older than you but I collected and went to some shows in the 80s. Most of the dealers I met were shady. One was fond of saying you could make any coin BU by shining it up. One sold my mom (I didn’t know enough at the time) an extremely harshly cleaned and polished bust half for over a $100.

I remember the silver run up from the Hunt brothers. We were able to offload a lot of bulk silver with a local brick and mortar dealer who ended up in jail a year later for fraud...

Amazing I still collect, lol.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @50cCOMMEMGUY asked: "What was it like getting something slabbed back then?"

Are you sure you want to go there? o:) Perhaps we should stick to AFTER 1986 to keep it real simple and not poke the dragon.

You see, now I REALLY do want to know 😀
    There must be a lot to learn because I didn’t know there was anything so “controversial,” (would that be the proper term?). 🤔 Of course from a scholarly, historical perspective of course.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

At work some of the younger guys call me O.G. I was in high school in the mid eighties and would not start collecting again for some time.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabs were new, I remember the term coin coffins. No internet, no eBay. Heritage mailed you bid sheets for auctions. Things were changing and dealers and collectors were struggling to adjust. Many new collectors because slabs gave them the comfort level to assemble a collection, whether that comfort level was justified or not. Fun times.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

OG?
    You can call me boomer.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@50cCOMMEMGUY said:

@Insider2 said:
    @50cCOMMEMGUY asked: "What was it like getting something slabbed back then?"

Are you sure you want to go there? o:) Perhaps we should stick to AFTER 1986 to keep it real simple and not poke the dragon.

You see, now I REALLY do want to know 😀
    There must be a lot to learn because I didn’t know there was anything so “controversial,” (would that be the proper term?). 🤔 Of course from a scholarly, historical perspective of course.

Of Course. o:)

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was only 22. A guy had a shop downtown that was doing a ton of business. A gentlemen working there let me bring in Roosevelt dimes and trade for Barber dimes headed to the melt bag. Nobody cared. Great fun. Did a lot of metal detecting back then. Any silver dime I found became a Barber dime!
    The dealer at that shop sent in a lot of 90% to a big outfit (don’t remember the name of the company). He received a six figure check that bounced. It was a wild time.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a boom and bust period for coins. The 80's started with the great silver boom still underway but that ended rather quickly. By 1982 the country and the coin market were in a rather severe economic recession. I recall going to the November 1982 Michigan State Numismatic Society convention and not being able to sell or trade much of anything. As a result I did no buying. Slabbing came along in a big way with PCGS in 1986 and NGC in 1987 (though they weren't the first). This seemed to set off an "invest in rare coins" craze that ran the prices way, way up until about 1989 when that market came crashing down.

Some local coin club shows had problems getting good, affordable show sites during the 1980s. This was due to the big boom in comic book and sports card shows which put great pressure on the good show sites and ran up the rental costs.
    My own club held its last local show in the Fall of 1986. By that time the show, which had once been a big money maker for the club, was barely breaking even and had had to move to an inferior location.

All glory is fleeting.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some local coin club shows had problems getting good, affordable show sites during the 1980s. This was due to the big boom in comic book and sports card shows which put great pressure on the good show sites and ran up the rental costs.
    My own club held its last local show in the Fall of 1986. By that time the show, which had once been a big money maker for the club, was barely breaking even and had had to move to an inferior location.

I suspect public events/ shows of most kind will be held less often and there will be plenty of affordable sites in the future
    to choose from.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

We were coming off the high of the 70's when coins were being discovered as "investments" with 20-50% increases per month :o
    Then came the fruitless waiting and anguishing on whether silver would ever get crazy wild like 1979.
    Slabs came out. A new era started.
    Coins soared and then flopped miserably (on prices of course)

Here's a graph.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slightly later, when I was a bit older - late 1980s silver was cheap and you could still find Barbers in "junk" silver. Another time I bought $300 face in Merc dimes at 3X. Oh and the BU rolls of 19th century Morgans - Morgans were never really a favourite of mine but when I saw nice BU solid date rolls I had to bite.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't find any nice Ikes in circulation but I purchased some cool guns back then that I still own.

@topstuf said:
    We were coming off the high of the 70's when coins were being discovered as "investments" with 20-50% increases per month :o

I remember. You could buy a really nice true BU type coin and double your money, often in a few weeks. I didn't keep any money in a savings account earning "peanuts."

The drop in silver prices was not entirely a one way down market during the 80s. There were some brief upticks. I recall one of them in which I was out driving in my car when a news report about a sharp spike in the price of silver was mentioned. At the time I had several sets of silver medals in my safe deposit box. I recall turn my car around, getting home, grabbing my safe deposit box key, rushing to the bank and then rushing to a local coin dealer who was the best silver market maker and selling everything in the safe deposit box. Smart move on my part. The price spike was very short lived and silver fell back to where it had been.

Also, during the 1970s and early 1980's many local coin clubs held their show at local shopping malls. These were great locations and sometimes the malls didn't even charge for the space. They considered the shows to be good draws for regular mall customers. As a result of the big silver and gold price run-up in 1879-80 many of the coin bourse dealers added gold jewelry to their show offerings. This caused trouble because the in mall jewelry stores didn't like competing merchandise being sold at the coin shows. Dealers were informed not to offer jewelry at the mall shows. The dealers didn't like being told to delete jewelry from their show offering and many ignored the restriction. This was a contributing factor to the malls ending their offering of space to local coins clubs.

All glory is fleeting.

Correction: 1979-80 not 1879-80.

All glory is fleeting.

@CaptHenway said:
    For clarification, there are a few basic time periods to consider.

Authentication only: ANACS, 1972 to Feb 1979. Done via paper photo certificates.
    (Two former ANACS employees founded competing INS in late 1976. Also used paper certificates.)

Authentication only OR Authentication plus Grading: March 1979 to 1990. ANACS. Paper certificates.
    (INS began offering grading c. 1978. Paper certificates.)
    (ANA continued offering Authentication-only paper certificates as ANA Authentication Bureau 1990-2002, after selling ANACS as a grading service to Amos Press.)

Grading plus implied Authentication. Hard slab. PCGS 1986-on, NGC 1987-on, ANACS 1989-on. Various others.

Excellent review. ANACS was the first authentication service INSAB the second. INSAB was the first TPGS, ANACS the second and now the oldest since INSAB went out of business (for all intents and purposes) a few years after PCGS was founded. As I remember there were companies using plastic slabs before 1986. Accugrade and Global come to mind. INSAB was late to use plastic slabs because I was of the opinion it was a stupid idea. Collectors want to hold their coins right? LOL.

Before PGGS was founded there was a meeting of all the grading services at a convention. The idea was to standardize grading. At that time I thought there were only 4 -5 grading services including NCI to those mentioned already. I was shocked when over a dozen businesses were there! NO WAY there was going to be any agreement!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when dealers were selling raw Morgan Dollars as Gem for 200-250 dollars. they were probably 63-64's. Then the bottom fell out on them. These coins are probably $40 now. Fortunately I was not in to those as I was buying better date Dimes at the time which have gone up over the years.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

It sure sounds like an amazing and exciting time. Also seems like coins were more pulled in than anything to the greed and excess of the 80’s. Along with art, real estate, cards, comics, etc.... I remember baseball cards being all the rage out of almost nowhere. I looked into them lately and they’re almost worthless, (with the exceptions of the big name rookie cards in high cert grades). At least with coins you get mintage numbers..,.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had returned from living in Europe around the mid to late seventies....had not been focused on coins for those years (always had an interest and would pick up the occasional coin). I then lived in CA for a while, then TX, then AZ where my interest once again picked up. I went to shows in Phoenix/Mesa/Tempe area for a few years and really got back into collecting. Prices were much better then, but I also made less money. Cheers, RickO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah... as far as being an OG.... I am pre-boomer years... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the photo certificates and process in which you sent coins in back when I was younger. I had got out(not really got out, but sidelined) coin collecting and such for several years between say 1985-1988. (high school) when I went back into it was talking to my old mentor and he was showing me pcgs slabs for the first time and how coins were now being encapsulated.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 9:17PM

I can't remember what I had for dinner last light. The 1980's? FORGET IT!

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhhh the 80's. Thanks @topstuf @CaptHenway @291fifth @Insider2 @ricko for giving some 70's flavor, I was wondering how the 70's shaped things affecting the 80's. In 1980, one of my friends was all excited about the new dollar....the SBA! And a co-worker taught me how to identify old bills, you wouldn't believe how many 1950 & 1934 bills were being passed around. I didn't pay any attention to coins for years, but had held on to my wheaties. The 80's had a post-punk soundtrack too, Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club, and Tears for Fears.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was 1

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway you forget the South African Gold Coin Exchange that was slabbing Krugerrands in the late 70s, but most of the action in the 80s was silver courtesy (up and down) of the Hunts.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to coin shops, local shows at malls, VFWs, etc. This was before the internet, so I bought some, but very little by mail. It was all sight seen purchases. Around the middle of the decade, graded coin became popular. However, initially they were quite expensive, at least for me at the time. I got my information from Coin World, Numismatic News, Coin Prices and other publications. I remember the 80s as a pretty quiet and uneventful decade as far as my coin collecting was concerned.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    "OG's???"

Omniscient Guys

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file