Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any of you OG’s wanna tell us about the 1980’s??

Comments

• Options

in late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS. They issued photo certificates and used "split grading" obverse and reverse were graded separately. I remember seeing tons of Morgan Dollars graded MS63/65. Not surprising as the obverse of a Morgan is a magnet for bag marks. Problem was that most of these had been sold as MS 65. A lot of these would probably certify as MS 64 today. (64 grade hadn't been defined yet). Third party grading as we know it today started in 1986 with the advent of PCGS. Tended to be VERY conservative. Had a well known dealer appraise some coins for me. He pronounced them MS 63 at best. Didn't agree and had them submitted to PCGS. ALL came back at higher grades (including one that made MS 66). So even though i'm an "old guy" it's just as true now as it was then. You have to and always did have to have (and always will) need a basic knowledge of grading.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rodepetdinosaur said:
    in late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS. They issued photo certificates and used "split grading" obverse and reverse were graded separately. I remember seeing tons of Morgan Dollars graded MS63/65. Not surprising as the obverse of a Morgan is a magnet for bag marks. Problem was that most of these had been sold as MS 65. A lot of these would probably certify as MS 64 today. (64 grade hadn't been defined yet). Third party grading as we know it today started in 1986 with the advent of PCGS. Tended to be VERY conservative. Had a well known dealer appraise some coins for me. He pronounced them MS 63 at best. Didn't agree and had them submitted to PCGS. ALL came back at higher grades (including one that made MS 66). So even though i'm an "old guy" it's just as true now as it was then. You have to and always did have to have (and always will) need a basic knowledge of grading.

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company. In addition to a basic knowledge of grading you need a basic knowledge of what is going on around you. Let me just say that the first sentence in your post is incorrect. :(

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Hey look, Rick Allen with two arms! (presumably)

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pricing guide prices always have to be looked at with a critical eye. That was true in the 1980s and is still true today. Owners of coins and other collectibles are very reluctant to admit their "product" has dropped in value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're correct PerryHall. My previous post was a typo. It was the 1911 Strong D, $2.5 gold Indian , not 1909-D....
    Since this thread's inception.... and re-reading it has brought a lot of good memories back. Good catch.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@50cCOMMEMGUY said:

@Insider2 said:
    @50cCOMMEMGUY asked: "What was it like getting something slabbed back then?"

Are you sure you want to go there? o:) Perhaps we should stick to AFTER 1986 to keep it real simple and not poke the dragon.

You see, now I REALLY do want to know 😀
    There must be a lot to learn because I didn’t know there was anything so “controversial,” (would that be the proper term?). 🤔 Of course from a scholarly, historical perspective of course.

I often watch old videos thru the Newman Numismatic Portal and David Lisot video library. Two parts to this link. In particular was a debate on slabbing and investing vs collectors. On one side was David Hall and a couple others on the other side the curmudgeonly John Ford and a few supporters. It was the dawn of this explosion and ALOT of debate.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/548830

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

d:
    1. *

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company. In addition to a basic knowledge of grading you need a basic knowledge of what is going on around you. Let me just say that the first sentence in your post is incorrect. :(

@Insider2 said:

@rodepetdinosaur said:

insider 2: Would love to learn what's incorrect. Please enlighten since you obviously know something I don't or don't remember

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 7:44PM

@rodepetdinosaur said:
    in late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS. ...

@Insider2 said:
    Let me just say that the first sentence in your post is incorrect. :(

@rodepetdinosaur said:
    Would love to learn what's incorrect. Please enlighten since you obviously know something I don't or don't remember

@CaptHenway and @Insider2 posted the info on the first page of the current thread -
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12579373/#Comment_12579373

Here's my summary:

Authentication and Grading Service Timeline

1972 ANACS - authentication only, paper photo certificates
    1976 INSAB - authentication only, paper photo certificates
    1978 INSAB - authentication and grading, paper photo certificates
    1979 ANACS - authentication and grading, paper photo certificates
    1985 Accugrade - grading and implied authentication, hard slab
    1985 Global - grading and implied authentication, hard slab
    1986 PCGS - grading and implied authentication, hard slab
    1987 NGC - grading and implied authentication, hard slab
    1989 ANACS - grading and implied authentication, hard slab

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember in 1989 or thereabout when coins were actually graded and not averaged like today. ANACS introduced their photo certificates with both the obverse and reverse graded. Today you get a single grade of the two, averaged I guess, more or less. I liked having both sides graded as both sides actually have a grade and not very likely the same. JMO.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Perms were big in the 80's.
    Lance.

• Options
    hardbittenhardbitten Posts: 33 ✭✭

the 80's was my youth but I didn't get into coins until 2015, mostly from the stacker perspective via Mike Maloney videos. My reselling experience so far has reinforced my 1oz gold coin stacker mentality over all else. When JMB starts offering 280 under spot for Palladium it is hard to win even when you call the bubble right, geez. If I just stack, I don't have to worry about spots, aging, ratings, or get cheesy offers from LCS or online vendors. I can comparison shop bullion coin offers online so I just walk in and and say I'll take your online offer and not have to stand around while they put their mitts on my collectable coin then low-ball. Who needs it?! Stacking seems to cut out the middle men who take a cut like ratings agencies, Ebay, LCS bid/ask gap, etc. Another benefit of stacking - easy to assess value in real time. Who knows what my 2009 MS69PL Double Eagle would fetch at any moment. Random year AGE and Gold Buffalo, I can comparison shop 8 places without picking up the phone. I understand I'm in a collectors forum and I'm in the minority on sticking with 1oz BU gold.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@rodepetdinosaur said:
    in late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS. ...

@Insider2 said:
    Let me just say that the first sentence in your post is incorrect. :(

@rodepetdinosaur said:
    Would love to learn what's incorrect. Please enlighten since you obviously know something I don't or don't remember

@CaptHenway and @Insider2 posted the info on the first page of the current thread -

Here's my summary:

Many thanks yosclimber i missed that earlier in the thread. Always thought INS was authentication only. Got re-involved in the hobby in 1979 after filling Whitman folders for Indian and Lincoln cents as a kid in the 60's.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

One tiny clarification to this summary. ANACS continued offering Authentication only during and after 1979. We did ancient and foreign coins that we did not feel qualified to grade, and some people simply do not care what their coins grade. They are called "collectors."

As to the express grading "slots" that could be bought and sold, Dwight was kind enough to clarify to me that that practice began in July of 1984, after I left. I have checked with former Office Manager Mary Thompson, and she confirmed that it never happened on our watch. All coins were processed in the order that they were received, except for certain pieces that were held back pending authentication, certain pieces where another Department (such as the Museum) needed a quick decision on, and a certain 1804 Dollar.

TD

Here's my summary:

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I am simply astounded at the success of this thread. As has been previously stated by myself and others, sincere thanks to CaptHenway. His posts here are documentary quality recollections and provide insight that is just mind blowing. You sir are a gem and a real OG.

A final thanks to everyone who participated. Please feel free to add more as time goes on! In the meantime, let’s get those 70’s bumping. Please. See. Next. Thread!

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2020 1:13PM

@rodepetdinosaur asked: "Would love to learn what's incorrect. Please enlighten since you obviously know something I don't or don't remember.

This: In late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS.

There were several authentication services during this time period. Once the ANA started grading coins (they were the SECOND TPGS) the others did also. PCGS and NGC took over most of the market.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Dumbest hair ever.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating thread. Like the OP, I'm 41 (1978). Got into coins at LCS in 1988 but quickly shifted to baseball cards.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2020 1:52AM

@Dwight_M said:
    Summer seminar 1982 I believe. Possibly 1981

Awesome! Thanks for posting :+1:

I wonder how many are still in numismatics?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @rodepetdinosaur asked: "Would love to learn what's incorrect. Please enlighten since you obviously know something I don't or don't remember.

This: In late 70's and early 80's only third party grading was ANACS.

There were several authentication services during this time period. Once the ANA started grading coins (they were the SECOND TPGS) the others did also. PCGS and NGC took over most of the market.

ANACS was and is the FIRST Authentication Service in America, still going strong after 48 years.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway , I presume a bullseye was worth 70?? :)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    @CaptHenway , I presume a bullseye was worth 70?? :)

But of course! :)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drank to much beer in those days, don't remember to much about it! LOL

Ken
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short shorts were money.....

• Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I unloaded a bunch of Barber Dimes in the silver run up because their melt value was higher than their numismatic value. Got an obscene amount for junk silver. There was a line around the block at the bulion place, people both buying and selling.

As another posted mentioned, I got some of my GSA $s in 1980, the earlier batch in 1979.

In the mid 80s, not so special Unc. Morgans were marketed to death and their prices reached absurd levels. There was a market crash in the late 80s. You could find all sorts of bargains then if you had the cash and attended a large show.

I actually met Bill Noyes and Walter Breen at a Long Beach show, spoke with both of them, and bought their books there.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

What amazes me the most with all major rock groups back in the 80's. Nowadays, those same bands and how much revenue they made in all their careers, they now can make in ONE YEAR! Amazing. I am aware of inflation but what a ticket goes for today to see a famous 80's group is nearly $200-$300. When in the 1980's it was $15-$20! Lol :s

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Coin Grading in the 1980's:

Was the dart thrown wearing a blindfold? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2020 5:58AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Coin Grading in the 1980's:

It appears that some of the basement slabbers of the time were much better dart players than ANACS :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember right, $15 or $20 went a lot farther then. My new truck payment was just $88 a month. And I thought that was high!

Ken
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Shame this thread stopped back in June. A lot of great history here! @CaptHenway

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the first coin shops I went too here in town was between the up & down escalators in the sears dept store. I remember buying mostly pennies first, but then when i got my first BU mercury dime I was real excited . If I recall was about 4 bucks. My family would go to sears , and I hit the coin shop with my older brother(who had some intrest) and then the candy section. I do rememeber when i bought that merc dime, examaning it closely for over an hour while my older brother tried on clothes.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 7:54PM

No coin activity for me back in the 80's. I partied like a rock star every night that I wasn't working. If only I bought gold instead I'd be partying like a rock star NOW. :s

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    No coin activity for me back in the 80's. I partied like a rock star every night that I wasn't working. If only I bought gold instead I'd be partying like a rock star NOW. :s

I partied AND bought gold. It was easy.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

incredible thread

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 9:40PM

@Hydrant said:

@ms70 said:

Then you didn't party like I did! :p

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a Game token from Chamelot Gaming Center from about 1984 which is now Chamelot Golfland in Anaheim California (I just googled it). I saved this in my very first original Whitman box for those plastic 2x2s...
    it turned up 35 years later in one of my moving boxes!

This beautiful little token represents the 10's of 1000's of quarters we spent on Pacman, Donky Kong, Xevious, Duck Hunter, Galaga, Asteroids, Q-Bert, Track & Field (you needed a plastic utensil to kick-ass at that one! Who remembers that lol!), Bezerk, Joust, Dragon Quest... I missed a few lol!!!

It didn't tone at all...but a another token from the same time sitting in the box with it all those years toned beautifully (the only coin I've ever truly toned myself!?) and I attached it below as well just for fun.

Also in the 80's we used to have a lot of air guitar "competitions" while wearing brutally ugly pants. I didn't understand it either lol...because my friends and I were busy dressing ourselves to look just like Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice! :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Hydrant said:

@ms70 said:

Then you didn't party like I did! :p

Yea, you're probably right. The 70's were the rip roarin' decade around here. Then the Lovely Mrs. Hydrant got a hold and took control of the situation. I owe it all to her. 💃 + 🏃= 👨‍👩‍👧‍👧

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember buying one coin in the 80's. Two kids born in late 70's kept us busy and broke through the 80's. I do remember selling all my silver about a month too soon, but still made out very well. 90's were much better for coins for me. Back to business as usual finally!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the 80's, I hid my coin collection from myself because I was very "distracted". Found it in 2015, talk about deja vu all over again. I am grateful for my life today. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to a few coin shows in the late 1970's and early 1980's and in the whole coin show, you wouldn't find one toned coin.

'Brilliant white' was in fashion and you could see a jar of coin dip 'at the ready' of every coin dealer's booth.

So when collectors talk of 'original blast white condition' of an older coin, you'll understand my strong skepticism of their claim.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file