Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any of you OG’s wanna tell us about the 1980’s??

Comments

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    "OG's???"

An "Original Gentleman". There are few of us left.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

OG=Old Guard. That's how I took it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 8:51PM

When can we do the 1970s? BU Morgans were 3 dollars and prooflikes were 5.
    B)

• Options
    TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I recall in the 80's going to a Federal Marshal's auction where they were selling several hundred siezed $20 BU gold pieces for $300 each. I didn't have much money then and bought only one. I also got a nice AU Lafayette dollar there for $50. No internet then and not a lot of bidders.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Bid boards were very popular at coin shops.

I sure remember bid boards. I remember seeing a few fights break out in the last few seconds of the auction. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t speak much about the coin market but it relates to the cardboard market. Local B&M stores had 50’s and 60’s cards for $.10-$.50 each. Mickey Mantles ranging from $20 up depending on condition. Common T206’s were $2-$5 with stars in the $25+ range. They couldn’t give away football which was fine for me since I collected ‘60’s AFL. Came 1989-90 and the boom was on. Modern junk produced by the billions. Everyone buying to put their kids through college. Scammers on TV hawking worthless sets and unknown grading companies. All that 90’s wax worthless. I can’t tell you how many collections I’ve seen and disappointed looks when I tell them it’s only good as firewood.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid Boards were the BEST thing. It got about fifteen to twenty locals together at one shop on Tuesday and the other on Thursday. I was among the younger fellas there and not a woman in sight ever. Back then it was mostly a man's hobby but there were some ladies in the business. During the week I would try and move the lots I wanted into a small area. Others must have done the same thing because this continued until the day of the auction. Right up to the time I would pretend to be looking at a lot nas close to the board I could get to so as to block a coin I wanted. I'm going to start a new thread

I bought every Machin's Mill Copper coin I own (except for a junk box find or two) on bid boards for under $8 because "foreign" coins were not popular. I'm sure there are some great stories about the boards. Randy Campbell tells one about two collectors fighting to win a BU Morgan dollar bidding the coin up higher and higher. When it was over the looser walked over to the store counter and found/bought an identical piece for half the price! worked at a store

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Can’t speak much about the coin market but it relates to the cardboard market. Local B&M stores had 50’s and 60’s cards for $.10-$.50 each. Mickey Mantles ranging from $20 up depending on condition. Common T206’s were $2-$5 with stars in the $25+ range. They couldn’t give away football which was fine for me since I collected ‘60’s AFL. Came 1989-90 and the boom was on. Modern junk produced by the billions. Everyone buying to put their kids through college. Scammers on TV hawking worthless sets and unknown grading companies. All that 90’s wax worthless. I can’t tell you how many collections I’ve seen and disappointed looks when I tell them it’s only good as firewood.

Circa early 1990s:

A local coin and card shop was very big on promoting baseball cards by the full cardboard box. (Not just one small box but an entire large cardboard box full!) I was in the shop one afternoon looking for coins while the owner was doing his baseball card sales pitch to another customer. He was selling the cardboard box lots with the promise that he would call the buyer and buy them back at a big profit when the price of the cards rose. The dealer in question died about 15 years ago. His customers are probably still waiting for the call telling them to empty the garage and bring in their "valuable" cardboard box lots for sale.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin shop that always bothered me. Early 1980's I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS, living in Manhattan KS a few miles away. I had gotten back into coins after a trade of stereo equipment for coins. 1 coin shop in the area. The guy who ran it seemed a bit "off". A lot of guns in the shop, not for sale. He mentioned, after I had been there a few times, that he carried 3 guns at all time. A lot of black helicopter conspiracy talk, Next Civil War, overthrown the government type talk in that shop. He struck me as the "Might have been a cook or truck driver in the Military, but bought a whole bunch of medals and told everyone he was a war hero" type person.

Fast forward to the Oklahoma City Bombing. Timothy McVeigh had been stationed at Ft. Riley, and had obtained money by stealing cons at coins shows, and disposing of them somehow. I went back to MAnhattan several times as my wife's parents lived there. At some point after the bombing, the coin shop had vanished. I knew several of the places that Mcveigh had used to buy /rent stuff (the truck, the fertilizer, the accelerant). At least one was within a mile of that coin shop.

It bothered me that there was a connection in all of that.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021 7:57AM

Susan B Anthony was just introduced to the public in '79. By 1980, a 1909 *strong D , $2.5 gold piece was almost $18k. By 2019 a guy could get 3 at that price in an MS 62 PCGS holder.

Edit a correction

• 1911 ( Thanks Perry )
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started collecting in the 60's. Nothing high dollar. In the late 60's early 70's bought a lot of silver Roosies and Mercurys from the owner of several businesses in the area. Silver dimes two for a quarter. Still have them all. Resisted the urge to sell any during the Hunt Brothers run up.
    Still have a couple newspaper articles from the Hunt Brothers. Article dated March 29th 1980, The Hunt brothers Nelson and W. Herbert Hunt of Dallas, Texas had ownership and futures contracts of hundreds of millions of ounces of silver. The New York Commodity Exchange on Jan. 21st 1980 severly restricted the amount of a given commodity any one person, group or interest could hold, possess or have a vested interest in. Silver dropped from $ 50.00 to $ 10.80 in a few short weeks.
    I remember lines of people at the local hotel holding bags of coins, silverware etc. to sell. Then the rrules changed. A lot of businessmen lost their butts from buying, only to find they couldn't sell it.
    The Hunt brothers had to sell theirs on the open market and pay their margin calls. Wasn't a good time for a lot of people.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    I remember 5 gallon buckets of walkers as junk silver many BU.

I was quite young and had no money, so it didn't do me much good.

One thing I regret most is one of my favorite dealers had two milk pails full of AU/BU CWTs, many full Red...$5 each. I only bought a few and he died in a car crash. Seeing how much CWTs have gone up over the years, those buckets would have been an insanely good investment. That guy had a 7-figure inventory in the 80's, I never heard how it got dispersed. He was also the first person who ever showed me what $500k in cash looked like....banded stacks of $100s.

A CWT story a little like yours. In the late 80s I bought a CWT issued by a merchant with my last name and got hooked. Steve Tanenbaum used to run small classified ads in Coin World for 10 diff CWTs for $49 or something similar. Money was tight but when I could scrape together some cash,I would mail in an order. All were nice XF-AU pieces and I got a nice start on my collection. I liked the distinctive way he labelled the 2x2s, so I kept them like that.

I also remember buying low grade early large cents from junk boxes for $2-3 bucks, pull out my copy of Sheldon 's book, and practice attributing them. Was able to sell some better varieties for a profit, which was always fun for a college student.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at topstuf's PCGS Index plot carefully. Average collectors frequently did not have a good feeling for what was common vs. scarce. Many of them, and most investors, viewed high-MS coins as 'rare', no matter what. The MS generics of many types (Morgans, late-date Walkers, etc.) have not recovered from the slide off the top, and probably won't during my lifetime.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to collecting baseball cards, I remember avidly collecting beer cans with my son (correct decade?). Very decorative display or so it seemed at the time. Ended up selling them to an antique mall guy. He probably ended up recycling them. Silly but lots of fun. Also enjoyed collecting high-end Lincolns, breaking up original rolls, having them graded and then selling. About the only time in my life that I've accurately predicted a "market" - guessed that Lincoln cents would do well in high grades. They were hard to find as a collector, but cheap. I still have some nice partial 30's rolls... if ever.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    In addition to collecting baseball cards, I remember avidly collecting beer cans with my son (correct decade?). Very decorative display or so it seemed at the time. Ended up selling them to an antique mall guy. He probably ended up recycling them. Silly but lots of fun. Also enjoyed collecting high-end Lincolns, breaking up original rolls, having them graded and then selling. About the only time in my life that I've accurately predicted a "market" - guessed that Lincoln cents would do well in high grades. They were hard to find as a collector, but cheap. I still have some nice partial 30's rolls... if ever.

The beer can craze was actually in the mid-1970s.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@oldabeintx said:

The beer can craze was actually in the mid-1970s.

Thanks, just looked up Billy Beer, Introduced in 77, closed up shop in 78. Still collectors out there I noted but mine were the fad variety.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK . . deep enough in the thread that few, if any, will ever see this . . .

Back from USAFA and the Air Force . . .was doing another degree at Utah . . . and determined to make it on my own although living expense were tight. Had put away $30-$40 face of silver back in 1964-5 with mom and dad and had it in a safety deposit box. I remember 3-4 times going there in the space of a few weeks and grabbing just $5-$7 face and taking it to "EG" coins here in SLC (5300 S???) and cashing it in. I could buy enough Ramen to live for another several weeks . . . . . . .

I still remember it . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I was kind of oblivious to the market. I graduated in 1980, enlisted in the Navy and went to boot camp January 1981.

The few coins I had were mostly wheaties and buffalos, some from circulation and some purchased from a friend of mine was trying to help me develop and interest in coins and bullion. That would have been around 1977-1978 when this started. His father was somehow involved in coins, but his parents were divorced so I never met his father. What I do remember is most people had very little confidence in bullion. I had a paper route, so purchased a few bars (not called antique bars) from him.

I told my father I was planning to buy gold and silver. He pretty much told me to not do this. You could buy constitutional and .999 gold for under $250 an ounce, silver bars and rounds were about $6. My plans were to buy an ounce of gold and whatever silver I could every month. I took my fathers advice for the most part, but did as I mentioned above a few silver rounds an bars. I remember a dealer set up in a parking lot with cases, at a local flea market in a grocery store parking lot. I purchased some toned rounds and bars for about $6 each. I remember my first visit to Gaithersburg Coin Exchange, and purchasing some there as well. Back then they were a coin shop, that had bullion but it was not well displayed. Now they are a major bullion dealer in the area, they have coins but their bullion activity seems to have taken prominence as far as over the counter. The owner developed a well known reputation for their coin knowledge and fair business practices.

I did not realize that prices shot up through 1979 into the early 80's. At the few coin shows I attended, I had very little focus. Coins were all raw, in those 2x2 cardboard coin flips. I trusted whatever a dealer/seller wrote on the flip. I also limited my purchased to a few dollars for coins. Eventually I purchased on vinyl pages and put things in an album. I also had a Whitman cent book, did not put many cents in it.

I was over seas through January of 1983, did not develop an interest again until the middle of 2010.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My closest competitor had just fled with the coins (and stamps) that belonged to his customers ...and... partner.
    Then the partner committed suicide.
    By .... drinking nitric acid ....
    That seemed suspicious.
    Interpol must have thought so, too. They were looking for him.

Golly! :o

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    I was in my 20's.......... I don't remember the 80's

I was too. You don't have flashbacks? :)

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    My closest competitor had just fled with the coins (and stamps) that belonged to his customers ...and... partner.
    Then the partner committed suicide.
    By .... drinking nitric acid ....
    That seemed suspicious.
    Interpol must have thought so, too. They were looking for him.

Golly! :o

😮 oh my! Now that’s a story!

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:

@boiler78 said:

Wrong drug! B)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Susan B Anthony was just introduced to the public in '79. By 1980 a 1909 strong D , $2.5 gold piece was almost $18k. By 2019 a guy could get 3 at that price in an MS 62 PCGS holder.

I think you meant 1911-D. I'm surprised no one caught this. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a number of circulated Morgans I had picked out for a grading display I did and a partial set of BU Franklins. Silver was at around 15 X face as I remember and I had gotten most of these for 3 or 4 times face so decided to cash them in so I could concentrate on my type set. My local dealer, who probably smelled a rat and knew a big drop was coming, only offered me 9 X face (he probably wasn't to happy to buy them back since all of the Morgans I had purchased from him!). I then took them to a coin show and the dealers were all clamoring wondering what I had in the sack I was carrying. I sold them for 11 X face as I remember.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options

At the start of the 80's I was 21 years old and buying bulk 90% at Midwest coin shows and shops every week/weekend. Trusted as already doing this for several years and had respected dealer support. Thankfully still had a check float period back then. Immediately sold and delivered/driven to Chicago with very small margin. But a margin.

When the rules were changed on the Hunt's it all collapsed. Got out a bit earlier and never received a bad check.

Amazing what you saw if you were the top buyer of 90% back then.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2020 10:29AM

@CoinJunkie said:

@Nic said:

@boiler78 said:

Wrong drug! B)

Ever met Boiler? :)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent a week in the hospital in the early 60’s when I was around 7. My mother and father bought Whitman folders for me and I would pass the time of day going through rolls from the bank. I remember dateless Buffalos and Standing Liberty quarters and an occasional Indian head cent. I could never convince mom or dad to get half dollar rolls. I never did find a 1909-S VDB or 1916-D Mercury but I did find a 32-D and 32-S Washington.

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Oh boy. Where do I start? I started (well Nana started me) collecting in the late 60's at the end of the circulation finds era.

Through the 70's I started learning some painful things.
    I bought "some lovely coins " not, from Littleton.

In the early eights(my college years)I thought it would be cool to collect as much as possible. Another words, quantity over quality. Another wrong assumption.

Later on, I think it was 1985, I bought a "lovely " 09SVDB Lincoln. Wrong again . Glued on S MM!

Along came the certified coins era. I bouht my first certified coin in 1986ish. An MS 64 Morgan.

After that coins took a backseat. Marriage, family etc.

Sold everything in 2012 to pay for college.

Got back into it a couple of years ago.

Little more than what you were looking for but hope you enjoyed.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    OK . . deep enough in the thread that few, if any, will ever see this . . .

Back from USAFA and the Air Force . . .was doing another degree at Utah . . . and determined to make it on my own although living expense were tight. Had put away $30-$40 face of silver back in 1964-5 with mom and dad and had it in a safety deposit box. I remember 3-4 times going there in the space of a few weeks and grabbing just $5-$7 face and taking it to "EG" coins here in SLC (5300 S???) and cashing it in. I could buy enough Ramen to live for another several weeks . . . . . . .

I still remember it . . . . . .

Drunner

What no Spam ?

The Hunt Brothers trying to corner the silver market was madness.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

The great stuff continues. A ton of historical context that has surely filled in some knowledge gaps that I had.
    I also really appreciate the heartfelt stories of collecting and the good memories that went with. It’s easy to get caught up in all the numbers: prices, dates, quantities, etc... and forget about the good vibes.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 5:07PM

Cherry picking was nowhere near as rampant back in the 80's. I was in my late teen early 20's, and in our local B&M shop, just about everything was in 2x2's, except a few Lucite encased pieces. Dark shop it was, except for the spot lights over the glass display cases and a huge safe in the back room. I often wonder how many varieties slipped past through my fingers.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Dwight_MDwight_M Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

In the 70s, on kwhy channel 22 in la, Jonathan hefferlin of Jonathan’s coins at 525 w Manchester Inglewood had a daily show at 7:50, 11:50 and 5:50 about bullion prices and some coin talk. For my 14th birthday 2/23/80 I got a trip there and met him and Richard Schwary in person. Jonathan would say to try and buy the CC dollars from the GSA and I got 6 at $15 ( common toned) and 4 at $45 (80,81,85cc toned).
    What a deal.
    At his shop I got an 1878-cc raw unc choice (64 best) for $222....
    He truly was an icon

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old
    Grump

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

In Chicago, when you could get it to come in, there was a program on Ch. 26 called the "Stock Market Observer." Periodically, a numismatist named Walter "Bud" Perschke would come on and talk about coins. Pershcke would go on to own some pretty incredible coins including a Brasher Dubloon for which he paid a world record price for a coin at the time of $430,000. Thirty-five years later he sold it for $3.9 million ($4.5 million w/buyer's fee). He also owned a Nova Constellation Quint which for which he paid $50,000 and later sold for $1.2 million.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was high school and then college age in that decade.

Unfortunately, I wasn't very active in numismatics.

I was into dating girls, deer hunting and drinking beer.... ;)

Didn't get back into coins until the mid 1990's.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Perschke hand carried an Extremely HR $20 to the certification service in DC. It was valued at about 4K. His story was that a lady had four HR Saints and gave him his pick. He picked the one that didn't look like the others. He told us he believed it was either a special coin or a counterfeit. I took a cab out to a coin dealer in Virginia who said it was authentic. When I got back we took it to the Smithsonian the next day. Mr. Perschke gave a big donation to the ANA after we certified it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file