Options

Crafting cast medal while social distancing

2»

Comments

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog said:
    @WildIdea
    Your finished medal is way cool, but I must tell you I like the look of the medal in the “special acid”. Maybe it’s the bright yellow bowl, but in the acid the medal has a gold, almost Saint-like look.
    From your pics, it appears all of your medals have the “liver of sulfur look”. Is this a medal norm, personal preference, part of the chemical process, other?
    Regardless, an impressive endeavor. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks @JeffersonFrog I agree the stripped bronze looks neat. Tradition would be the reason I’m darkening them. I would say it is a medal norm as well as a personal preference. I like my copper brown. I just love the way bronze statues and sculptures look in dark chocolate brown and a lot of medals come this way too. Normal handling will buff out the high spots and the aging process will showcase the relief better over time. I wouldn’t rule out a raw piece and I may see what a light sand blasting does for one and just leave it raw.

I have three other chemicals on hand to try still, two different shades of brown and violet. It’s a few choices I made from a long list of what’s available to color bronze. I’ll be interested to hear what you say when we see the results.

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Remarkable accomplishment ! resolving the pitting issue would elevate your efforts to spectacular. Congratulations !

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.
    What type of media is that in your tumbler ?

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Cool.
    What type of media is that in your tumbler ?

Grobet USA is a company worth a look. Major variety of tools and equipment. Vigor plastic media is what your seeing in my tumbler. 1/4inch pyramids.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 6:59AM

Wow, a lot has happened since I last posted any updates on this thread. Things really ramped up back at work among other things that pulled me out of the garage. I was still able to fight for and find a few hours here and there to move this project forward. Frankly, it was on the verge of getting lost as other responsibilities took precedence crossed with the slow pace of any noteworthy improvements. I though I would give the new sand another shot and I was rewarded with a few mini breakthroughs.

First it is getting the moisture just right so the sand gets tacky while not going overboard and it turns mushy with just a few extra drops of water. It's a type of feel and inspection of the compaction of just a fist full. I'm still mastering that.
    Mold making still takes me a few hours to get a satisfactory one. I have found that a really steep light will show the details in the mold, similar too looking for hairless of a coin. Then it's letting it dry fully. I've found that just letting it sit in my hot garage for 3-4 days is sufficient.

So I get a mold all set and dry and decide to get it poured one night late and it goes really well. The gates and sprues, or flow channels are made to allow for proper filling of brass. I've been informed by my support foundry, Lost and Foundry in Spokane, that molten brass gets a head of steam out in front of the pour and it needs a place to go for smooth surfaces. Not only do they need to be built in the proper order, but they need to be the proper girth to not constrict flow.

I had one pour that looked pretty good, but had a sandy texture in the middle of the medal. I reached out in email for a lifeline pro tip to Lost and Foundary. They noticed in my pictures that my final flow channel was too small, that it was like holding your thumb on a hose and molten metal was spraying inside my mold eroding the details. I would have though a smaller inlet hole wold be better to protect my mold, but its actually bad. On the next mold I made that flow channel larger allowing the metal to enter the cavity faster and uninhibited and it seems to be what I needed to get the results I've been pressing for. I think I have the process down and repeatable!

Another thing neat happened. On one piece I had darkened and placed in the tumbler only to forget and go to bed...I realized in the shower the next morning and I though, oh no! I ruined it and probably have a bright brass piece waiting for me. I was shocked to pull out the most attractive finish yet. It's supper soft and mellowed out. I put all my other pieces back in the tumbler and they now have the look I'm going for. For the most part, each one of these has its own casting and toning characteristics which keeps it interesting. I think I'm hooked now. I'm finally feeling like I can do a production run and setting my sites on the next creations knowing I can realize a completed medal.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty Cool

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea - what a great read! I am amazed at your artistry.

Now to go find those Dead songs.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    @WildIdea - what a great read! I am amazed at your artistry.

Now to go find those Dead songs.

Thanks @Bob13, My notion right now is to someday blast off to a rock show on the bike with a satchel of these and throw them on a blanket in the lot and try to sell some to people that would like them. Likely Denver, maybe further like Shoreline in San Jose, who knows. With all the festivals canceled, I have ample time to prepare. I have to believe that someday it will all come back.

Next up, first verse of Dark Star!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great read, and follow for your project! I've seen different types of casting work before, but this was really a wonderful learning experience and step by step insight into the entire process, including the art work prior to everything else.

Hope you have a great 4th!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - the finished product looks terrific!

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

NEED some updates......

Saw this and thought of your work..

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 6:54PM

@habaraca said:
    NEED some updates......

Saw this and thought of your work..

Thanks! It makes me feel good to be thought of when you see something that righteously bad to the bone!

I've been casting the Freedom medal when I have time and have even listed one for sale on my tattoo studio website, but didn't want to spam up the forum. I have had movement and progress on another piece, in case you have missed it...Thanks for checking it out!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045277/dark-star#latest

Sorry for the sad link, I'm more crafty than tech savvy.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative post that is too enjoyable, couldn't wait until the next episode throughout your post. Hope to see additional posts in this regard.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, love your storage cabinet as well as your medal.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    BTW, love your storage cabinet as well as your medal.
    Jim

Thanks jesbroken! It’s actually a mineral cabinet from Homestake goldmine in South Dakota. I saw it sitting on eBay a year and eventually decided to reach out to the seller and ask some questions. That I’d pay him his ask if he meet me halfway on the road. He brought it the whole distance from Wyoming because he has family here! Anyway, he said he worked at Homestake as a geologist and bought it at the closing auction in 2002. That the mineral cabinet sat in the front office for eons and was surly built in the on site wood shop. He also mentioned it had a second half that his buddy bought but he had since cut it in half again to make a table base out of, so this being a cool survivor piece. Anyway, it’s huge and is the size of a refrigerator and I have a cool understanding wife who likes to keep her keeps sakes safe as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file