Home Precious Metals

2020 Investment Contest - FINAL RESULTS POSTED

Comments

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 10:39AM

I am winning!!!!

Is it possible to lose even more?

And thanks for taking over, Wings. I’m not sure that I could have figured out all the weirdness this year....

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    I am winning!!!!

Is it possible to lose even more?

And thanks for taking over, Wings. I’m not sure that I could have figured out all the weirdness this year....

You won the high end last year!!

Should we call you King Beta? 😂

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Ah, shucks.

I'd like to thank my mom and dad, my third grade teacher Mrs. Pasma, my drama coach, my urologist Dr. Singh, and all the little people who have contributed so much to my uncanny skills at picking a stock. :)

😉 you’re welcome

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@derryb said:
    Issuer of my fantasy pick, TVIX, will be delisting it July 2 which will send it to the over the counter pink sheets. While I've collected my profits on it a few times in the real world we will most likely see it end up at the bottom of the contest by year's end. It's been a good real world ride, hope others got on and then off the train at the right times.

Although 1/3 of my $$$ in this contest is in TVIX, I make it a habit not to invest personally in any of my picks. Thank God...saved my ars many a times over the years.

Interesting. Every year, I've made it a matter of fact to purchase my picks. The profit I made with APT a few years ago is how I purchased a building this year. Wished I'd have held my Square (SQ). It did great.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's tvixf now

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I created a portfolio of all the picks on the CNBC app. They update automatically whenever something changes (CHK, TVIX, etc).

how efficient.

I have to manually do mine.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

It only took me about 4 years to get that way.

My dilemma. Take profits and count on another dip ? Or wait for a dip and add to ?

LoL, just wait for the market to move...
    then tell us what you did!
    (seems to work for some around here 😉)

The Market always moves. It's not a sitting target.

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Told people here about AAPL almost 10 yrs back back in the 'scary AAPL 500' thread and its almost 3k now with its 7:1 split since. Noted TSLA a good investment too in the 'scary TSLA 1000' thread' and its up over 50% since. Most people should just dca various index funds and call it a day, QQQ is decent one to start with and theres always decent hedges around like gold if so inclined.

edited July 13, 2020 6:26AM

Let’s mix it up a bit.

RULE CHANGE!

You are allowed to make changes to your portfolio in a one-time adjustment. Changes must be sent to me prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Wednesday, July 15.

Guidelines as follows:

1. You can “stand pat” if you like. Changes are not mandatory.
    2. You are allowed one “sell” and one “buy” only, regardless of the number of stocks you currently hold.
    3. You can sell only a portion of one holding if you like.
    4. Deleted
    5. “Trades” will be executed at the 4:00 pm New York close prices on Friday, July 17.

No / late responses equals no changes made.

This change has been approved by the 2020 Investment Contest Board of Directors.

Good luck!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave my hot garbage picks in play, I like to see the year hold %. Stupid is as stupid does this year...ha!

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 7:43PM

...#4 isnt neccessary.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

edited July 12, 2020 6:53PM

it isn't how shorting works as you get the cash from selling right away, but I'll play the rules and close my pirrq short and short BORR

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    ...and short BORR

In the real world that stock would probably not be shortable in a general retail brokerage account.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice offer, but I'll stick with TVIXF. It's just a game and I'm feelin' lucky.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Rule 4 eliminated. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.

ok then, close pirrq and long lkncy

@cohodk said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    ...and short BORR

In the real world that stock would probably not be shortable in a general retail brokerage account.

it also just went to penny status.

Four days to trade..... I'm thinking.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take me out of the game. When the rules are changed mid contest whats the point? Thanks.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Take me out of the game. When the rules are changed mid contest whats the point? Thanks.

???? ,,, I must be going blind, but I don't even see you in the game.

I'll keep what I have until the bitter end. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question - Surf is at -115.6%. How does one go about losing more than 100% ?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

LoL, just wait for the market to move...
    then tell us what you did!
    (seems to work for some around here 😉)

I waited for the market to move.
    I did exactly nothing.
    My holdings went up anyway.

I knew it would happen.

_Guidelines as follows:

You can “stand pat” if you like. Changes are not mandatory.
    You are allowed one “sell” and one “buy” only, regardless of the number of stocks you currently hold.
    You can sell only a portion of one holding if you like.
    Deleted
    “Trades” will be executed at the 4:00 pm New York close prices on Friday, July 17._

Wings et al, since I didn't join in time at the beginning, can I take the $9,000 in cash that I've had laying around for this past 6 months and buy something to join up? o:)

I knew it would happen.
    edited July 14, 2020 3:13AM

@jmski52 said:
    Question - Surf is at -115.6%. How does one go about losing more than 100% ?

He shorted half his portfolio with TSLA at $418 per share.

You all had no Idea that I was shooting for The bottom finish, did you?

Hero to Zero!

Only a few took advantage of the trade possibility and those are reflected here. Trades were made at yesterday's NY close.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dethroned. :'(

I was getting a nosebleed anyway.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    Only a few took advantage of the trade possibility and those are reflected here. Trades were made at yesterday's NY close.

I was thinking on dumping my currently underwater NUGT position, but instead I'm gonna ride or die, steel huevos que pasa...

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Interesting. Every year, I've made it a matter of fact to purchase my picks.

>

Long story short, I did as well and I just gotta say...

OVERSTOCK!!!

In a world, where tech stocks are trading at 30x future earnings on unsustainable business models, one company is growing YoY sales >100% and trading at <1x future earnings. Selling over a billion dollars in merchandise last year alone, this company still has a market cap of only 2 billion. On the cutting edge of blockchain technology it's fully approved "digital dividend" successfully distributed to shareholders and trades on their wholly owned digital securities platform tZERO. Recently awarded with a government E-commerce contract for the next three years along with names like Amazon and one other. Welcome to Overstock.com, stay a while and join club O

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:

@Wingsrule said:

I was thinking on dumping my currently underwater NUGT position, but instead I'm gonna ride or die, steel huevos que pasa...

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Interesting. Every year, I've made it a matter of fact to purchase my picks.

>

Long story short, I did as well and I just gotta say...

OVERSTOCK!!!

In a world, where tech stocks are trading at 30x future earnings on unsustainable business models, one company is growing YoY sales >100% and trading at <1x future earnings. Selling over a billion dollars in merchandise last year alone, this company still has a market cap of only 2 billion. On the cutting edge of blockchain technology it's fully approved "digital dividend" successfully distributed to shareholders and trades on their wholly owned digital securities platform tZERO. Recently awarded with a government E-commerce contract for the next three years along with names like Amazon and one other. Welcome to Overstock.com, stay a while and join club O

Well I traded out 80% of my holdings in NIO and bought SOLO in this game. In real life , I took profits and am sitting on some dry powder.

I have to give Jay ( Saint Guru) a lot of credit for opening my eyes about investing, a few years ago.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Well I traded out 80% of my holdings in NIO and bought SOLO in this game. In real life , I took profits and am sitting on some dry powder.

I have to give Jay ( Saint Guru) a lot of credit for opening my eyes about investing, a few years ago.

I’m still learning as I go, but I did much research on OSTK last year, enough to know I wanted in.

I got the lions share same average here, sold half when it was nearing 200% now letting the “free” shares ride for the time being. Rolled 1/2 profits into OSTKO (digital preferred shares) and recently took profits when they spiked 300%+ (Still have a small lot) Also got some dry powder and am hedged incase of a market pullback in the tech sector... it’s looking kinda top heavy imo but with the Fed throwing helicopter money who knows. Good luck out there all.

It's all about what the people want...

LukeMarshall is on a tear with OSTK, good for a 10-bagger and then some!

I’m very glad to see that I am still bringing the average down! 5 more months to go!

edited August 2, 2020 8:30AM

actually at negative values you'd have a margin call. My suggestion would be to make his account permanently $0.00 (who knows ... otherwise it may rise back above zero.)

Surf is on a roll!!!!

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    I’m very glad to see that I am still bringing the average down! 5 more months to go!

I'm gonna go out on a big Mango tree limb here to say that this has to be the greatest flash-to-trash run in 'Contest' history. Luv ya braddah. ;-)

edited August 23, 2020 3:15PM

The most amazing year since the one a few years ago that first and second both were +141.x %, and third far less than that. Congratulations to the top half in this challenging year, especially if any have real and meaningful stake in their picks.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always appreciate your work Wings.

Whenever I look at this chart, I expect the stock market experts to be at the top tier. Where are they?

Have a nice day
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:

>

Me too! Without your input where would we be? :)

Ken

@bearcave said:

@streeter said:

>

You'd be wondering how you are doing. Funny. Only one update is technically needed each year....the rest are just for bragging rights.... :po:)

Oh, we all know how we're doing!

The update is about how
    everyone else is doing 😉

@SurfinxHI said:

@bearcave said:

@streeter said:

>

You'd be wondering how you are doing. Funny. Only one update is technically needed each year....the rest are just for bragging rights.... :po:)

You sound like someone with a bone to pick. What did you do, lose out? If you were in top place you wouldn't say a word! 😮

Ken

@bearcave said:

@SurfinxHI said:

@bearcave said:

@streeter said:

>

You sound like someone with a bone to pick. What did you do, lose out? If you were in top place you wouldn't say a word! 😮

Weird, if you were tracking this year, and last year, you’d know my position.

I was just stating a fact about the competition. Tell me I’m wrong?

I don't know anything about last year. I was just trying to thank wingsrule for his dedication. I am not sure why you included me to begin with.

Ken
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wingsrule HAS done an exceptional job. Thanks to him, and to all the others who organized this friendly and fun competition in the past.