Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1874 CC $20 piece.....Request for Feedback

Recent addition that is pcgs graded, but looking for feedback on thoughts regarding grade. I got as high of a resolution on the pic, but be curious to get some thoughts. I realize it isn’t as easy as seeing the coin, but just posting for general ideas. There is a noticeable “something” (brownish color) embedded in the coin in liberty hair. If anyone has an idea what it may be, I would appreciate information. One individual indicated it may be a minting error.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade as an EF-45 with a few too many marks on the obverse for my taste.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 or maybe 40

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 3:19PM

The coin looks AU to me and I agree with Bill Jones regarding the obverse marks. My guess is that you’re seeing grease in the hair.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any gold is good gold. Congratulations

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was originally going to agree with XF crowd but kind of agreeing that this one would be AU50ish. Yeah kind of dinged up a bit but still an awesome coin!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

These seem to get a little bit of extra love from TPG... maybe more like AU55

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 4:59PM

Any 20 CC is a special coin and MS specimens are much rarer than say from the San Francisco Mint. CC coins were made in and for the wilder Wild West.

As to the markings Given their straight line arrangement the first thing that comes to mind are staple deposits with the metal from the staples having oxided there as they rusted away in a 2x2. Hopefully there was no staple scratching.

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation on the new addition.
    Looks like a nice coin to me. I would grade it xf45, the reverse looks better. Has a few hits but it’s a circ coin. Congratulation

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks XF45 to AU50. Looks nice and a CC to boot!

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the AU50 camp as well. The marks do not bother me that much.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t claim to be correct about the coin being AU, as opposed to XF. However, my opinion is based largely on the reverse image. That side looks approximately AU58 to me, so I can’t drop my grade guesstimate to XF.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU but the surfaces are a bit meh

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

45-50.

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice!! Congrats!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stage coach EF45. 115,085 mintage. Very desirable historic piece in any grade from a very historic mint.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it’s XF-AU to me. Eye appeal IMHO is average at best. But Carson City Double Eagles are all cool.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2020 5:08AM

I would call it XF-40 which means it is probably an AU50.

For what it is worth, I saw a Charlotte $5 last week that looked similar in an AU53 holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guesstimate is AU50...the obverse has a lot of chatter in focal areas...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Kindred4uKindred4u Posts: 22 ✭✭

For those that have provided feedback, thank you.
    This was graded as AU-50 by PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file