1874 CC $20 piece.....Request for Feedback

Options

Recent addition that is pcgs graded, but looking for feedback on thoughts regarding grade. I got as high of a resolution on the pic, but be curious to get some thoughts. I realize it isn’t as easy as seeing the coin, but just posting for general ideas. There is a noticeable “something” (brownish color) embedded in the coin in liberty hair. If anyone has an idea what it may be, I would appreciate information. One individual indicated it may be a minting error.


Tagged:

Comments

  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 35,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I would grade as an EF-45 with a few too many marks on the obverse for my taste.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • davewesen
    davewesen Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    45 or maybe 40

  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 3:19PM
    Options

    The coin looks AU to me and I agree with Bill Jones regarding the obverse marks. My guess is that you’re seeing grease in the hair.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • 2dueces
    2dueces Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Any gold is good gold. Congratulations

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • mark_dak
    mark_dak Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Was originally going to agree with XF crowd but kind of agreeing that this one would be AU50ish. Yeah kind of dinged up a bit but still an awesome coin!

  • mark_dak
    mark_dak Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    These seem to get a little bit of extra love from TPG... maybe more like AU55

  • 1northcoin
    1northcoin Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 4:59PM
    Options

    Any 20 CC is a special coin and MS specimens are much rarer than say from the San Francisco Mint. CC coins were made in and for the wilder Wild West.

    As to the markings Given their straight line arrangement the first thing that comes to mind are staple deposits with the metal from the staples having oxided there as they rusted away in a 2x2. Hopefully there was no staple scratching.

  • Pickwickjr
    Pickwickjr Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Congratulation on the new addition.
    Looks like a nice coin to me. I would grade it xf45, the reverse looks better. Has a few hits but it’s a circ coin. Congratulation

  • Outhaul
    Outhaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I like it!

  • LJenkins11
    LJenkins11 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    looks XF45 to AU50. Looks nice and a CC to boot!

  • ilmcoins
    ilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I am in the AU50 camp as well. The marks do not bother me that much.

  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I don’t claim to be correct about the coin being AU, as opposed to XF. However, my opinion is based largely on the reverse image. That side looks approximately AU58 to me, so I can’t drop my grade guesstimate to XF.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Boosibri
    Boosibri Posts: 12,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    AU but the surfaces are a bit meh

  • Cougar1978
    Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    AU50

    Investor
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    45-50.

  • Leeroybrown
    Leeroybrown Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Looks nice!! Congrats!

  • metalmeister
    metalmeister Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Stage coach EF45. 115,085 mintage. Very desirable historic piece in any grade from a very historic mint.

    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • skier07
    skier07 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Looks like it’s XF-AU to me. Eye appeal IMHO is average at best. But Carson City Double Eagles are all cool.

  • jmlanzaf
    jmlanzaf Posts: 43,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2020 5:08AM
    Options

    I would call it XF-40 which means it is probably an AU50.

    For what it is worth, I saw a Charlotte $5 last week that looked similar in an AU53 holder.

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • ricko
    ricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    My guesstimate is AU50...the obverse has a lot of chatter in focal areas...Cheers, RickO

  • Kindred4u
    Kindred4u Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options

    For those that have provided feedback, thank you.
    This was graded as AU-50 by PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file