Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Charlotte Mint and it’s Gold *question*

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve read somewhere, possibly here about Dahlonega and the fact that some of it’s gold used was from California after 1848.

So my question is the same about Charlotte. Was their gold strictly from local mines? Or after 1848 was there other gold being used?

And the 10% alloy, supposed to be copper, I’ve read sometimes silver is also found?

I’d love to read some discussion about this subject...

My only example is 1858, kinda late in the run...

Possibly California gold? NC gold?

Any pictures with the discussion would be interesting and appreciated. 👍

Comments

• Options

1858 probably NC gold.
    Charlotte Branch Mint
    CA gold deposits
    51 $15,111 Cal gold
    52 $28,362
    53 $15,465
    54 $6,328
    55 $5,817.66
    56 $16,237.35
    57 zero

Same source shows zero CA gold for Dahlonega Mint 1849 this is not true

Annual Report Director of the Mint

• Options

@CaptainBlunt said:
    1858 probably NC gold.
    Charlotte Branch Mint
    CA gold deposits
    51 $15,111 Cal gold
    52 $28,362
    53 $15,465
    54 $6,328
    55 $5,817.66
    56 $16,237.35
    57 zero

Same source shows zero CA gold for Dahlonega Mint 1849 this is not true

Annual Report Director of the Mint

Very interesting! Thank you! :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I never cared where the gold originated... just that it became a coin and own it... :D;) A quick search revealed this information.... Cheers, RickO

Early U.S. gold coins (1795-1834) consisted of a composition of .9167 gold and .0833 silver and copper. From 1834-1837 the composition was .8992 gold and .1008 silver and copper. In 1837 gold coin composition was changed to .900 gold and .100 copper and that formula continued until the cessation of gold coinage in 1933.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall reading the extent that was made to seal up the gold mines in Charlotte. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greenish gold coloration generally attributes to southern gold with the higher concentration of silver in it while orangish gold is associated with California. Of course this isn't perfect but the higher overall quality of southern gold meant less refining and less copper needed to be added to the alloy and more silver remained from the original gold deposit.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need nitric acid to get the silver out of the raw gold deposits. Sometimes the southern mints had shortages of that which resulted in more silver in the gold coins. Sometimes the southern mints got sloppy. The quality if their products varied from years to year and coin to coin.

The Charlotte Mint personnel never did learn how to make the Types II and III gold dollars, and probably did care that much. All of those coins from the “C Mint” were terrible. Both Charlotte and Dahlonega were more interested in making $5 gold pieces. They made the smaller coins when they had to make them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Great information! Thanks for sharing this. :)
    @BillJones excellent examples!

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

(See above) The information contained in the Director of the Mint Reports for
    the SFBM circa 1854-1855 etc. are not completely accurate regarding gold bullion sources for coinage.

The actual Mint registers show gold also coming in from Oregon that contained iridium. There were even a few deposits from Australia.

Obviously the vast majority of the gold was from Cal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file