Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had 200K to build a must have collection..

..what would you buy? Years/Grades/etc. And no - I’m not sitting on a few hundred grand thinking how to invest that in coins - but in theory - a must have/best to have list as investments - would be interesting to see what you all would target if starting out w a blank slate

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wanted a Continental Dollar.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collection of Proof and MS gold coins of the world with v.low mintages that sell at or near melt. The Franklin Mint struck a lot of them.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd do the same thing I am now, just more and better. I have no interest in building a collection that other people want.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Key dates... broadly spread across several series.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    A collection of Proof and MS gold coins of the world with v.low mintages that sell at or near melt. The Franklin Mint struck a lot of them.

I did exactly this for nine years, as a side project. I had a lot of fun and learned some interesting things. The amount of gold per coin varied from 0.1 oz to 1.2 oz. I sold them in 2015. However, not many were produced by the Franklin Mint.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

US type set like I'm doing now, except for higher quality.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had $200K to 'invest', it would not be in coins....Coin collecting is my hobby and I do not want it to become a business...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@guinessmstr45 said:
    ..what would you buy? Years/Grades/etc. And no - I’m not sitting on a few hundred grand thinking how to invest that in coins - but in theory - a must have/best to have list as investments - would be interesting to see what you all would target if starting out w a blank slate

You can laugh at my suggestion that I wouldn't invest in any coins, but historically they are a horrible "investment" relative to other investment vehicles. And recently, they are worse than historically. Yes, you can point to the occasional coin that did really well. Kudos if you own that one coin. But that is anecdotal nonsense when the broader market is not in a bull market.

It is hard to create appropriate diversification in a coin portfolio, especially with only $200,000 to spend. Transaction costs are quite high relative to other investment vehicles. I can buy the entire S&P500 in an ETF for a few bucks in and a few bucks to get out. If I buy an "investment grade" coin, there is a 10 to 20% cost to buy it and a 10 to 20% cost to sell it. And no, you aren't going to be able to buy and sell it on the BST or Instagram.

Enjoy the hobby as a hobby. Use the proceeds from your real investments to fund your hobby.

So just curious---should someone never buy a coin for six figures or say any coin over $20,000? Should someone never have a collection that is worth hundreds of thousand of dollars or even over a million? Very few people have six figures to throw away (or $20,000), so I am assuming that you think only billionaires should purchase these type of coins. Who should have the honor of owning a high priced coin? And you said you should use proceeds from your "real investments to fund your hobby." Well what if you "proceeds" from your "real investments" are $50,000----according to you wouldn't it make more sense to reinvest that money and make more money rather than buying coins? Using your theory---really you would never buy an expensive coin?

• Options

As for the OP question---I would purchase PCGS CAC old gold where the census numbers on CAC are low and are unlikely to change.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Key dates... broadly spread across several series.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion is 200K won't go very far.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

it i had that money i would by the four coins I need to finish my set of proof 66 or better Jeffersons. Then work on my house. Then finish my 1932 to 1998 Washington AU or better set. Then upgrade some equipment around here. Then get a nice fugio. That should leave about half of it, so I would need to think about.

Maybe not a 'must have' collection, but I would be quite pleased

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go after 67 and 68 DMPLS etc

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Coins are a collectible, not an investment. I would not recommend "investing" in coins at all.

This is without a doubt the single most correct statement ever posted!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call Coin Vault.
    On their toll free number.
    I wouldn't hang up until I got a week in Vegas comped.

Maybe a month. :D

• Options
    edited February 23, 2020 7:38AM

At a major coin show try finding PCGS NGC 1909-S Indian head cents in MS63/64RB. Mostly red, no spots and no discoloration.
    For every MS1909-S IHC at a major show you might find 10 to 30. MS1909-S VDB 1C.

• Options

@fivecents said:
    At a major coin show try finding PCGS NGC 1909-S Indian head cents in MS63/64RB. Mostly red, no spots and no discoloration.
    For every MS1909-S IHC at a major show you might find 10 to 30. MS1909-S VDB 1C.

Coins are a popularity contest. :/

• Options
    edited February 23, 2020 7:42AM

I would do massive current US Mint products flipping with 100 to 200 G's. Become a playa and shot caller.

Also buy raw coins at shows and submit, submit and submit. Sell, rinse, repeat.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

@291fifth said:
    Coins are a collectible, not an investment. I would not recommend "investing" in coins at all.

Well, not really. If you buy a coin for the sole purpose of selling it for a profit someday, it’s an investment. Maybe not a smart one, but that’s a different question.

And FWIW, I do believe that there are some coins that would be a smart long term investment.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@PTVETTER said:

@291fifth said:

There is a great deal of truth here, yet one has to ask what the state of the hobby would be without investor dollars. Even our beloved QDB has written books that advocate investing in coins.

As jmlanzaf noted, the entry and exit costs are significant. The old adage, about buying and holding for several market cycles, doesn't reproducibly work well when all costs are factored in. Before the age of TPGs and the internet, many collectors simply did not realize that most of what they were buying was not rare. Some types of coins crashed and have yet to recover (especially commems). The amount of information today, and its accessibility, has done a lot to level the playing field between buyers and sellers--this alone makes it harder for a seller to make money.

Most of the investor money in numismatics seems to rely on upgrades and cowbells, all of which look to me like some kind of arbitrage game. If you have to rely on gradeflation to bail you out of your investment, then it was a foolish investment. A number of dealers, over the years, have quietly told me that most of their customers will end up losing money, mostly because they don't really understand what they are buying.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go after buyers when the next silver eagle or similar rampage happens.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@fivecents said:

Coins are a popularity contest. :/

If you ever doubt this, look at the 1848 quarter eagles. Survival numbers and values.

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about blowing the whole thing on the nicest chain cent you can buy for $200k.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lovely proper 1796 half dollar in xf/au.

• Options

Why can't we just all play along?

If you believe the PCGS Index's we are near the bottom of 1993 post crash lows.

Much worse if you consider inflation.

I would invest in ANA grading classes and time for research.

Robert Shippee approach comes to mind.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had 200K to invest in coins I would buy a collection of gold bullion and double eagles which sell for a very tiny premium. Thus, I am really talking about putting 200K in gold.

If you invested in gold, the day that the Financial Times weekend edition wrote extensively about the death of gold (1998) your returns to date aren't terrible. Gold traded at roughly $276/ oz so ... no one would be complaining about the investment today. Financial assets get the attention but starting today but looking out over the next 20-40 years which asset class will perform the best? I believe gold has outperformed stocks over the past 20 or so years yet few have noticed.

Will gold continue it's stellar performance or was it a flash in the pan? Go back through the last 5000 years of history and you can decide.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@guinessmstr45 said:

You can laugh at my suggestion that I wouldn't invest in any coins, but historically they are a horrible "investment" relative to other investment vehicles. And recently, they are worse than historically. Yes, you can point to the occasional coin that did really well. Kudos if you own that one coin. But that is anecdotal nonsense when the broader market is not in a bull market.

It is hard to create appropriate diversification in a coin portfolio, especially with only $200,000 to spend. Transaction costs are quite high relative to other investment vehicles. I can buy the entire S&P500 in an ETF for a few bucks in and a few bucks to get out. If I buy an "investment grade" coin, there is a 10 to 20% cost to buy it and a 10 to 20% cost to sell it. And no, you aren't going to be able to buy and sell it on the BST or Instagram.

Enjoy the hobby as a hobby. Use the proceeds from your real investments to fund your hobby.

So just curious---should someone never buy a coin for six figures or say any coin over $20,000? Should someone never have a collection that is worth hundreds of thousand of dollars or even over a million? Very few people have six figures to throw away (or $20,000), so I am assuming that you think only billionaires should purchase these type of coins. Who should have the honor of owning a high priced coin? And you said you should use proceeds from your "real investments to fund your hobby." Well what if you "proceeds" from your "real investments" are $50,000----according to you wouldn't it make more sense to reinvest that money and make more money rather than buying coins? Using your theory---really you would never buy an expensive coin?

No one should ever buy a six figure coin expecting it to go up. PERIOD. Yes, that means only millionaires should buy 6 figure coins. So what? Would you really advise someone with a net worth of $300,000 (excluding home) to spend $50,000 on a coin in the hopes that it would go up in value? That would be 20% of her net worth in a risky "investment".

I also wouldn't recommend that someone with a net worth of $300,000 put more than $50,000 into a single company's stock. No matter how blue chip you think that company is. It lacks diversification at the very least.

No matter what coin you buy, CAC gold or otherwise, you simply can not expect it to increase in value AT ALL, much less at a rate commensurate with other investment vehicles.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing.

Im still trying to finish my set. Money is not the problem. Locating the coins is the problem.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@guinessmstr45 said:

No one should ever buy a six figure coin expecting it to go up. PERIOD. Yes, that means only millionaires should buy 6 figure coins. So what? Would you really advise someone with a net worth of $300,000 (excluding home) to spend $50,000 on a coin in the hopes that it would go up in value? That would be 20% of her net worth in a risky "investment".

I also wouldn't recommend that someone with a net worth of $300,000 put more than $50,000 into a single company's stock. No matter how blue chip you think that company is. It lacks diversification at the very least.

No matter what coin you buy, CAC gold or otherwise, you simply can not expect it to increase in value AT ALL, much less at a rate commensurate with other investment vehicles.

I'm sure there are alot of shrewd collectors who would expect a coin to go up if they spent 6 figures. But you avoid my real question----how much do you think someone has to be worth to have a $50,000 collection? I'm not offering investment advice to anyone but if you take your advice it would seem impossible for all but billionaires to buy a five figure coin. How do you feel about someone spending $10,000 on a once in a lifetime family vacation? How much money do they have to have to do that?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Coins are an ...investment................. in posterity.
    Great reflections of a collector's mindset at the moment of acquisition.
    Sort of like family photos.
    Being "money" coins naturally attach to profit/loss.
    The "investment" will pay off in pleasure and memories if you let it. :)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    There is not a single coin that I would EVER EVER EVER buy as an investment.

Every single coin that I buy, I look at it As an Investment.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@guinessmstr45 said:

I'm sure there are alot of shrewd collectors who would expect a coin to go up if they spent 6 figures. But you avoid my real question----how much do you think someone has to be worth to have a $50,000 collection? I'm not offering investment advice to anyone but if you take your advice it would seem impossible for all but billionaires to buy a five figure coin. How do you feel about someone spending $10,000 on a once in a lifetime family vacation? How much money do they have to have to do that?

You were talking $50,000 coins. A $50,000 collection is a little different.

Depends on your age.

Let's take a 35 year old who has been maxxing out his 401k for 12 years and makes the median $60,000 per year and has set aside $30,000 in non-retirement savings. That person has a net worth of roughly $300,000 and could easily have accumulated a $50,000 collection by spending $5k per year on coins. A little extravagant (8% of salary per year) on a hobby, but not especially so.

A 45-year old who has been maxxing out his 401k for 22 years and makes $60,000 with $60,000 set aside non-retirement would have a net worth of maybe $500k. They could have accumulated a $50,000 collection at only a little over $2k per year. That is a reasonable expense (4% of salary) on a hobby, methinks.

A 60 year old who spent $1000 per year on coins could have a $50,000 collection even if there net worth was $0 - because they failed to invest anything ever. But I still wouldn't consider that collection to be an investment. But I would say that $1000 per year thrown into coins for fun over 40 years is better than $1000 per year thrown into liquor or some other dubious "hobby".

But if you want to spend $50,000 right this minute on coins, yes I think you should have a $1 million net worth so you are only spending 5% of your net worth.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You can if you want. The math says otherwise.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You can if you want. The math says otherwise.

I believe you and I use different "math" :o

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As a dealer, you're a trader, not an investor in the classic sense.

• Options

@Gazes said:

I dont think anyone is putting 90% , 75% or 50% of their money into coins (unless they are a dealer). And if they are, they are not doing it because of advice they are getting on an anonymous message board.

I am all in about 95% to 100% of my assets :o:o:o:DB)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As a dealer, you're a trader, not an investor in the classic sense.

More of a hybrid dealer. Many, many of my coins may be in my inventory for ten years. Many others last only one week.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Gazes said:

I dont think anyone is putting 90% , 75% or 50% of their money into coins (unless they are a dealer). And if they are, they are not doing it because of advice they are getting on an anonymous message board.

I am all in about 95% to 100% of my assets :o:o:o:DB)

I should have added I dont think any non sophisticated numismatist.... Quite frankly, if you are knowledgeable and have a track record of making money over the years, it would make sense to do what you are doing.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had a $200,000 "gift certificate" that could only be spent on coins (the investment and diversification angles of this discussion already adequately covered by others) then,

I'd buy 15-20 different blue chip 1793-1798 US type coins in PCGS/CAC holders.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

No debt saving lifestyle is a must with a stock market at all time highs, another potential building bubble, and run away national debt.

Give me a couple more grading classes, a nimble business approach, and $200K and watch the plastic crack while awaiting the next stock market crash.

Only half kidding.

• Options

With another $200K, I'd buy different varieties of 1794 large cents (EF or better) until the fund is exhausted, and be choosy.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 2:40PM

I am building a collection of Mexican cap&rays 8 reales and already have almost 200k in it

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@Gazes said:
    No one on this thread has said anything offensive but it is a pet peeve of mine that whenever there is a thread like this where someone says what coins would you buy if you had X dollars---there are the knee jerk reactions like ---invest in stocks, buy bonds, etc. This is a coin forum----we like to talk about coins not the stock market. I have noticed over the years that the people who post "not to buy coins" have a very high percentage of having sold their collection, not collecting anymore or collecting world coins not US (I noticed this when I read their other posts).

I dont think anyone is putting 90% , 75% or 50% of their money into coins (unless they are a dealer). And if they are, they are not doing it because of advice they are getting on an anonymous message board. So I dont think you need to lose sleep that people are in line to invest their life savings in coins. However, when you automatically respond to any question about a high price coin or buying coins that it is a horrible investment----you hurt the discussion of coins. I would love to hear specific dates and series someone would buy (it opens me to coins I'm not familiar with), what coins seem to be in demand, collection ideas in general etc. Again, this is a coin forum and I would rather hear about coins than the automatic stock market response that seems to cut off debate.

With all due respect, the OP asked about investing in coins. I DID NOT randomly comment on the nature of coins as an investment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file