Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had 200K to build a must have collection..

13»

Comments

• Options

I had to create another account at home because I was having problems logging in. If I had $200K in play money (not to invest), I'd try to find a no problem mid range Unc. Gobrecht Dollar (if one can purchase it for that price). Anything left over would go for a no problem RB Unc. Classic Large Cent in an OGH, if one could be found.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    some other coins to consider buying with $200,000 that are always in demand and would be fairly liquid to sell: a liberty quarter eagle 1848 CAL CAC in almost any grade; any unc Dahlonega quarter eagle that is CAC (very few exist); a gem 1911-D and 1914-D indian quarter eagle CAC; all proof gold with survival rates of 25 or less in PCGS/CAC. Can you just go out and buy some of these coins right away?---no, but that is what makes them truly rare coins. Maybe a strategy is to see what Hansen needs and go buy that first!

One other point about posts that simply say never "invest" in coins and buy a S & P 500 ETF. People must adapt over time since what works now won't work in the future. Don't let anyone fool you that the S & P 500 is a truly diversified investment---in 2018 5 stocks (apple, Microsoft, google, amazon and facebook) made up 15% of the index. Whether or not the S & P 500 will be as profitable going forward---who knows. Other stock investments may do far better than the S & P 500. If you are a tennis player growing up in the 80s, they teach hitting a forehand completely different now. The golf swing is very different now (just watch a PGA player's foot work now as opposed to 15 years ago). So for instance, in my recommendations I would recommend all CAC coins---others may disagree but my thought on expensive coins is that CAC is an important factor to consider. Think outside the box and do a lot of homework before spending a lot of money on coins. Plus doing the homework is most the fun and then hopefully you get enjoyment and make money.

Hmmm.... the S&P500 is temporary but CAC is forever

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it would be easier to say
    “you’re forced at gunpoint to buy rare coins and hold them as an investment. You attempt to make the best of this uncomfortable situation you’ve been pressed into, so after a lot of complaining on a message board, you attempt to buy coins you think will either hold value or go up in 10 years. What are they?”

My choice would be to buy coins not controlled by a price guide. That means rare world and US items (mostly world) that are very hard to find and thinly traded. Beautifully matched South American gold would work well. The irony is that finding the coins is the trick, not paying for them.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 8:02AM

deleted

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes when gambling Vegas gives you a gift.

Nats were an all time DOG vs the Houston *'s. Just on principal alone you had to bet the dog.

Well... S+P just lost $8K of that 200K in a single day.

ohhh the irony!

SPY has had a historically rich P/E valuation for a couple of years.

People are dreaming or oblivious, because there is no way we see anywhere close to the typical 10% annual return from SPY over the next decade. Probably closer to 5% if that.

If you believe the PCGS coin Index has reached its lows... hmmm I would bet the dog on this one.

Interesting to track over the next decade.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:
    some other coins to consider buying with $200,000 that are always in demand and would be fairly liquid to sell: a liberty quarter eagle 1848 CAL CAC in almost any grade; any unc Dahlonega quarter eagle that is CAC (very few exist); a gem 1911-D and 1914-D indian quarter eagle CAC; all proof gold with survival rates of 25 or less in PCGS/CAC. Can you just go out and buy some of these coins right away?---no, but that is what makes them truly rare coins. Maybe a strategy is to see what Hansen needs and go buy that first!

One other point about posts that simply say never "invest" in coins and buy a S & P 500 ETF. People must adapt over time since what works now won't work in the future. Don't let anyone fool you that the S & P 500 is a truly diversified investment---in 2018 5 stocks (apple, Microsoft, google, amazon and facebook) made up 15% of the index. Whether or not the S & P 500 will be as profitable going forward---who knows. Other stock investments may do far better than the S & P 500. If you are a tennis player growing up in the 80s, they teach hitting a forehand completely different now. The golf swing is very different now (just watch a PGA player's foot work now as opposed to 15 years ago). So for instance, in my recommendations I would recommend all CAC coins---others may disagree but my thought on expensive coins is that CAC is an important factor to consider. Think outside the box and do a lot of homework before spending a lot of money on coins. Plus doing the homework is most the fun and then hopefully you get enjoyment and make money.

Hmmm.... the S&P500 is temporary but CAC is forever

Completely miss the point. My comment was that you must constantly adapt and change. Not change for change sake but when it makes sense.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go from the date the thread was created... SPY is down about $12K to $188K in value.

:o

It might be a fun project to choose several coins from completed auctions done in the past two months and form a coin portfolio with auction juice and all to get a true reflection of costs involved.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have nearly $200K in plastic.
    Oh....the plastic experimental cents of 1942 alomg with the zinc plated steel and bakelite experimental cents of 1942.

They represent the only possible grading set possible. Not that grade is important at all but like to see the difference in quality of the experiments.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had $200K to do this for the nth time, I would spend $5K-10K per coin and get coins with everything there, no issues, 19th and 18th century mostly US Bust and Liberty SDs, gold type, and foreign gold. Big beautiful coins always have a market.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file