Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wanting this to be my first graded coin purchase. Which MS should I aim for?

Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2020 12:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ll base other 1927 coins around this since it’s a date I favor. And there’s only one mintmark of this coin so I don’t see it being too expensive as an 1927,1927d, 1927s Peace dollar set. In which I’ll do eventually. But in you’re own opinion, which is the min grade you’d aim for?

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could find a nice high end 64, that would seem to be the best bang for your buck.

• Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Mintage was 40,000 but 11,858 of those were sent back to Philadelphia mint for melting so leaves just a Mintage of 28,142.

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt worry too much about low mintage of classic commems,more supply than demand.Its been that way for decades

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get what you want.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id say you an do better

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't clear, but if you are considering the coin in the first post, I would hold off and wait for something else

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you are not considering the exact coin in the first post.
    I could never get over the big honking marks on the cheek.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pmd on the obv is bothersome for me too. Me thinks you can find a nicer example. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best MS to select is ... Most Satisfying

Pick a coin you enjoy ... not a number.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the consensus above.... You can do better than that coin and choose a coin with the look that you like...There are many choices out there, especially in the commemorative category. Look on the internet or go to a big show....Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been said, don't buy the one you posted. It's not as nice as many.

To gain some insight into what grade you should buy, look at what coins have sold for using CoinFacts, and reconcile that with how much money you want to spend. One thing you'll notice is that the prices are pretty flat up to and including MS65, then go up fast. Looking at this, I'd be inclined to look at several 65s and buy the nicest, thus maximizing my bang for the buck.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for the price change by grade. This is a random example. Don't buy someone else's dog when there is so much really good stuff begging for an owner.

Morgan Dollar 1879-S

Grade 4 12 40 55 62 63 64 65 66

Price 28 28 33 42 58 75 80 130 250

This is the "retail" price, and for many coins, such as Morgans, there is a glut of common date Mint State coins. Within the grade, there are dogs and really nice ones.

So in the case above, lets say you can buy at 75% ( and be lucky to sell for 60%), the retail price between an almost uncirculated 55 and a MS64 is less than $40, and really closer to about 30 actual, and a whole lot different quality of coin. You may be able to buy an MS65 for a $100. or an MS66 for less than $200.

Gold, for common date, is bullion driven

For example, a $20 Gold St. Gaudens is in Grade 40 Retail is 1525 and an MS65 is $1750.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trivia:
    Name the breed of cat on the reverse.

peacockcoins

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this coin is so rare I have 6 of them in stock! LOL (ranging from MS64 CAC to MS 66)

I had kind of an obsession with this coin last year.

Based on what I'm charging (ha ha) , 64 looks like the best bargain

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Trivia:

Cougar, I believe.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Trivia:

I won't spoil the answer here. :D I had to look it up. Great trivia question!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Trivia:

It’s a catamount. An early design proposal depicted the Catamount Tavern were Ethen Allen and his friends met to plan their revolution. That symbolism went over most people’s heads.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@braddick said:
    Trivia:

It’s a catamount. An early design proposal depicted the Catamount Tavern were Ethen Allen and his friends met to plan their revolution. That symbolism went over most people’s heads.

Cat mount breed. And the coin in the op is at least a step in the right direction, but I recommend a nice 65. Keep looking you will find the right coin.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be picky and DON'T overpay for any commems. That market has been dead for 30 years and shows no signs of coming back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

No not the coin as shown. That was just an example

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't be tied or focused on a number

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a PCGS example once that was VF35 and was impressed by how attractive this design is even in a circulated grade.

peacockcoins

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are asking what MS grade to buy, I would buy an attractive MS64 as the price jump starts to get more significant after that grade. BUT, as with any coin purchase it must please you (the buyer).

Good luck, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2020 10:20AM

Classic Commemoratives are a wonderful choice.

They have been beaten down in price for 30 years and offer tremendous value and are easy to appreciate the beauty.

Go to the registry section and look at the commemorative sets displayed and find something YOU like... heavily toned, rim toned, or blast white.

Like that big cat on the back... it's the hunt that is most satisfying, especially when patient and seeking the right coin.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at realized auction prices, I would look for one in MS65 and preferably one MS66 if the budget allows.

Not much difference in price between MS64 and MS65.

Decent price appreciation between MS65, MS66, and MS67.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 64 or higher

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2020 12:40PM

Well oh well. Finally! You're learning to focus on big and better coins. Good for you, dude! What you have posted is already far more better and interesting than the coins you previously posted. Nice category, even though it's not my cup of tea. Just as long as you enjoy whatever you choose. Once again, congrats. on graduating to a new level. LOL ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2020 1:01PM
    1. Buy what you like.
    2. Buy what you can afford to comfortably purchase.
    3. Enjoy a new way for you to collect coins.

Have fun !

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask abcde12345. Seems like you two are bonding. That's a good thing.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a raw one, they are always MS65 when raw. Then send it in and try to score it at 66. Send it in 10 times even if it comes back XF clean every time.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent series for a collection.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think focusing on a particular grade leads one to only look at the plastic and not the coin... tunnel vision in this hobby can be quite expensive. If I was going about this, I'd look at a bunch of images of the coins you like, go to coin shows and get a feel for what they look like "in hand", and then save up for what you really like. There's nothing worse than scrimp in on a purchase only to realize that an extra $50 could have gotten you something you'd really like.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file