Should MLB reinstate Pete Rose?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No- keep him banned for life

@Brick said:
    Cool Stanley seems more like garnett.

Coin wasn't an OSU apologist.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Precisely.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    No thanks .. Im not dwelling on Pete Rose for another second......... he may have had? thats garbage until he is in jail for it.

Do your research. One of the reasons he agreed to the ban was there was a LOT of $hit he did that he didn't want us to find out, including a liking of young "hardbodied" girls/women. Some were quite possibly underage.

Probably half of the people that are in the Rock n Roll hall of fame had sex with underage girls. Should they ban Jimmy Page and Elvis?

why do people care about any of thr HOFs ? They got paid to play ,they are too old now why does anyone care ?

C> @grote15 said:

@Brick said:
    Cool Stanley seems more like garnett.

Coin wasn't an OSU apologist.

true he hated the garbage sports (college)

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 5:40AM
    Yes- reinstate him

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    No thanks .. Im not dwelling on Pete Rose for another second......... he may have had? thats garbage until he is in jail for it.

Do your research. One of the reasons he agreed to the ban was there was a LOT of $hit he did that he didn't want us to find out, including a liking of young "hardbodied" girls/women. Some were quite possibly underage.

Probably half of the people that are in the Rock n Roll hall of fame had sex with underage girls. Should they ban Jimmy Page and Elvis?

Another idiotic post. You are amazing.

Nah, you're just not very good at making your case.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 5:56AM
    Yes- reinstate him

@bronco2078 said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:

why do people care about any of thr HOFs ? They got paid to play ,they are too old now why does anyone care ?

Ask the Rose haters because I dont care.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:

Another idiotic post. You are amazing.

Nah, you're just not very good at making your case.

Two in a row!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 1:10PM
    Yes- reinstate him

@JoeBanzai .....Any Pete Rose involvement with under age sex would NOT ever be shielded by some MLB agreement ...Under age SEX has nothing to do with MLB and the Feds would have knocked down his door.... Don't succumb to frivolous gossip..... His HOF argument is strictly gambling.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys, this debate is fine, but let's steer very clear of further sex or religion comments or comparisons.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    Guys, this debate is fine, but let's steer very clear of further sex or religion comments or comparisons.

while we have your attention , do you have any way of knowing any info about forum member Darin? he has been MIA for weeks email address or a real name ?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes- reinstate him

Baseball's all time hit leader isn't in the HOF. What a joke.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@AFLfan said:

while we have your attention , do you have any way of knowing any info about forum member Darin? he has been MIA for weeks email address or a real name ?

I have seen the posts and have reached out to Darin via email. Hopefully he responds to me with a note that he has just been in a constant post-season Chiefs celebration.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @JoeBanzai .....Any Pete Rose involvement with under age sex would NOT ever be shielded by some MLB agreement ...Under age SEX has nothing to do with MLB and the Feds would have knocked down his door.... Don't succumb to frivolous gossip..... His HOF argument is strictly gambling.

A good post worth replying to.

The Feds were not investigating Pete Rose.

John Dowd investigated Pete. The Dowd Report documented alleged bets on 52 Reds games in 1987, citing Rose wagered a minimum of $10,000 a day; whereas others allegedly involved in the activities claim that number was actually $2,000 a day.

The Major League Baseball rule that Rose violated prohibits any bet on a game the bettor is involved in, making no distinction between betting for or against one's team. The rule is: "Rule 21 Misconduct, (d) Betting on Ball Games, Any player, umpire, or club, or league official, or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

In his autobiography My Prison Without Bars, published by Rodale Press on January 8, 2004, Rose finally admitted publicly to betting on baseball games and other sports while playing for and managing the Reds. He also admitted to betting on Reds games, but said he never bet against the Reds.

This is all you need to know. Betting on games you are involved in as a player or manager/coach gets you banned.

Rose agreed to the lifetime ban because of this and a LOT MORE. Had the rest of the investigation been revealed, the Feds would have probably gotten involved.

It doesn't matter if you are a Rose fan/supporter or not. Do your research.

@doubledragon said:
    Baseball's all time hit leader isn't in the HOF. What a joke.

Yes he certainly is.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Yes- reinstate him

Oh look, it's an angry mob. They must have heard Pete Rose placed a bet on a game.

• Options

Frau Bluecher!

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

20-20 tie.

AFLfan break this tie.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Rose threatened the security of MLB. He can take back anything he confessed to. With his track record I don't think anyone would believe him. Michael Flynn has a better chance of being enshrined in the HOF than Rose does.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    20-20 tie.

AFLfan break this tie.

If you insist...

• Options

@AFLfan said:

@hammer1 said:
    20-20 tie.

AFLfan break this tie.

If you insist...

I knew Todd would come down on the correct side of this one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

pete probably bet on whether he would be reinstated

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

Yeah, Rose did something he should have never done and for the past three decades has had to live with his permanent ineligibility. That's suffering enough. Then you look at this:

17× All-Star (1965, 1967–1971, 1973–1982, 1985)
    3× World Series champion (1975, 1976, 1980)
    NL MVP (1973)
    World Series MVP (1975)
    NL Rookie of the Year (1963)
    2× Gold Glove Award (1969, 1970)
    Silver Slugger Award (1981)
    Roberto Clemente Award (1976)
    3× NL batting champion (1968, 1969, 1973)
    Cincinnati Reds No. 14 retired
    Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame
    Major League Baseball All-Century Team
    4,256 career hits
    3,215 career singles
    3,562 career games played
    14,053 career at-bats
    15,890 career plate appearances

He effed up, but I could never say with good conscience, that he doesn't deserve it. How could I, with all the stupid crap that's happened since? That's just nuts, he needs to be in there. I mean come on!.....

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Rose cured cancer he ain't gonna get in. Setting aside his perennial denials of gambling...and, although he claims he only bet on the Reds to win, which appears dubious once you peel back the onion, he agreed to the ban. That latter tells me he had more irons in the fire than just gambling...underage activities appear to be in the mix. I, for one, firmly believe he bet on more than just the Reds...then, as a manager, he could easily manipulate activities during the games he bet on.

There is no question of his feats on the ball field...however, he knew exactly what he was doing and that it was a major violation of MLB rules. To allow him in at this juncture sets precedent, and precedent opens the door for others who may be caught gambling and then their activities to be condoned.

Rose is a hustler in more ways than one. He is an outgoing money hawk, he'd never have enough. His ego, thinking he could get away with anything, allowed him to flaunt the rules, and act like he was bullet proof. He ain't!!

Not gonna happen Pete, and you have nobody to blame but yourself. You do the crime, you do the time.

• Options
    The_DepartedThe_Departed Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020 10:53AM
    Yes- reinstate him

I just read this >>LINK<< and hereby recant support of induction. You dirty mothe………!

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes- reinstate him

@The_Departed said:
    I just read this >>LINK<< and hereby recant support of induction. You dirty mothe………!

A sworn statement by an unidentified woman, contained in a motion filed Monday in John Dowd's defense against Pete Rose's defamation lawsuit, alleges that Rose had a sexual relationship with the woman for several years in the 1970s, beginning before she turned 16.

"unidentified"........"alleges"...... a bunch of BS! Do you believe everything you read!!

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

It is now 23 to 22 for putting Rose in! I am going to soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much enjoy it when Rose is in the HOF! :)

Heads will explode here and I will LOVE every minute of it!!! :):):):):):):)

• Options
    edited March 8, 2020 1:40PM
    Yes- reinstate him

Yes.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@The_Departed said:

A sworn statement by an unidentified woman, contained in a motion filed Monday in John Dowd's defense against Pete Rose's defamation lawsuit, alleges that Rose had a sexual relationship with the woman for several years in the 1970s, beginning before she turned 16.

"unidentified"........"alleges"...... a bunch of BS! Do you believe everything you read!!

Of course you shouldn't believe everything you read, but if you read all the information that's out there, instead of burying your head in the sand, it sure looks like Petey liked them young and lean.

These allegations seem to be taking the same tack as the gambling ones, deny, lie and later admit some while continuing to lie a LOT.

This could explain one more reason to accept the ban, keep the allegations out of the public eye and let the statute of limitations run out.

Pete is a BAD MAN.

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

Yes.

• Options

If you're gonna allow multiple votes, then your poll and Pete are TOTAL BS !!!

• Options

He's never getting in. Even with all the Rose fans here, he's way short of the required 75%.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

what multiple votes?

what in the world are you talking about?

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

The Rose brigade is winning this election! The Rose brigade marches onward to victory!

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

what multiple votes?

what in the world are you talking about?

My error.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes- reinstate him

FREE PETE

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    It is now 23 to 22 for putting Rose in! I am going to soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much enjoy it when Rose is in the HOF! :)

^Many thought Bonds head was gonna explode.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@DIMEMAN said:

^Many thought Bonds head was gonna explode.

Now that would be worth seeing!

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Many thought Bonds head was gonna explode.

I'm not sure exactly what it would be worth, but I'd pay $1,000 to see it. I'd have paid $10,000 to see it while he still had 754 HR.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I'm not sure exactly what it would be worth, but I'd pay $1,000 to see it. I'd have paid $10,000 to see it while he still had 754 HR.

It's sad seeing this guy listed above a class player like Aaron on the HR list.

Just SAD.

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@JoeBanzai said:

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Just SAD.

I totally agree.......his HR's should be taken away!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Just SAD.

ARod, Sosa and McGwire as well imo.

If Thome was clean, how would he be viewed if the above named juicers didn't hit all those HRs? One of the greatest HR hitters of all time. You rarely hear anything about him on these threads.

Another "good guy" getting overlooked by a bunch of dirtbags.

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Just SAD.

ARod, Sosa and McGwire as well imo.

If Thome was clean, how would he be viewed if the above named juicers didn't hit all those HRs? One of the greatest HR hitters of all time. You rarely hear anything about him on these threads.

Another "good guy" getting overlooked by a bunch of dirtbags.

Anybody that got their stats honestly...…..has my respect.

• Options

Word to the wise , MLB has its eye on this forum poll , and will decide accordingly

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@bronco2078 said:
    Word to the wise , MLB has its eye on this forum poll , and will decide accordingly

Ha Ha...………..I wish!

• Options

Right now Pete is trying to figure corona virus effect into whether the point spreads accurately reflect home advantage due to the lack of potential fans.

Hall of Fame? If there was one for worthless degenerate gamblers he is a lock

• Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@bronco2078 said:
    Right now Pete is trying to figure corona virus effect into whether the point spreads accurately reflect home advantage due to the lack of potential fans.

Hall of Fame? If there was one for worthless degenerate gamblers he is a lock

Cheap shot Bronc. The HOF is NOT complete without the All Time Hit Leader in it. He gambled.....BIG DEAL.....he didn't cheat to get his stats. He is and always will be the All Time Hit Leader. And he did it honestly unlike Bond's "The Scumbag" who has to be the BIGGEST PED USER EVER!! He went from normal to Hulk Hogan!

• Options

I'm still confused about why the HOF is even important , if you say its not complete without him then lets end it. I won't lose sleep over it either way

• Options
    edited March 12, 2020 5:48AM
    Yes- reinstate him

Pete Rose is already in the Hall of Fame psychologically! He's in the psychological Hall of Fame!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Yes- reinstate him

No.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Yes- reinstate him

@estang said:
    No.

Sorry.....you can't change your vote. :)B)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Pete Rose is already in the Hall of Fame psychologically! He's in the psychological Hall of Fame!

That's PSYCHOTIC Hall of Fame.