Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I’m looking to learn- What’s the grade of this ‘65 Kennedy half?

I want to learn more about grading. Who wants to offer an opinion about the grade of this 1965 Kennedy half dollar and tell me what stands out to lead them to that conclusion.

It’s from the 1965 SMS set. Only handled with cloth gloves. Very clean overall. Has an apparent scratch on Kennedy’s cheek, a small surface spot in the field near the “t” and “y” on the obverse, and a small dark spot on the edge of the reverse above the “e” of United.

This is from curiosity about grading, I’m not worried about value. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a grading expert.
    But I like to help.

These pics all look quite different. I might be wrong, so someone else correct me please, but you should start by making sure the pictures reflect the way the coin looks in hand. I think that would help with grading.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we get pics without so much light? Scratch on nose/cheek will be a limiting factor for sure. Reverse looks PL but not so sure about obverse.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Can we get pics without so much light? Scratch on nose/cheek will be a limiting factor for sure. Reverse looks PL but not so sure about obverse.
    bob :)

I’m limited by my photographic skills but both sides shine like mirrors (PL) so I’m finding it very hard to take a picture. I’ve added a more recent circulated Kennedy for comparison.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mark on JFK's cheek is truly a scratch, and not a strikethrough, it would render the coin worth essentially bullion. In this case, that would be in the $2.70 range. I realize you are asking about grade and not value, but that hit is going to really limit any grade and, hence, value.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    If the mark on JFK's cheek is truly a scratch, and not a strikethrough, it would render the coin worth essentially bullion. In this case, that would be in the $2.70 range. I realize you are asking about grade and not value, but that hit is going to really limit any grade and, hence, value.

Thanks. I generally know what a strike through is, but how can one tell? For a scratch it looks mysteriously smooth. I suppose back to needing better photos. Thanks for your help.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The glare on the pictures makes it really tough.... I do not know much about coin photography (a classic understatement)...However, I have heard people here discuss light filters...You may want to try that to limit the glare. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading SMS or Proof coins by photographs is extremely difficult. Yours is an SMS (Special Mint Set) coin. Coins like this really have to seen in hand.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Attumra said:
    I have a few of these GEM like highly reflective Kennedys I got off eBay. I was wondering if it was possible that people dip the coins in what ever metal to cover up old scratches etc. and call it PL? Is that even possible?

NO.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Thanks for the input.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

Really? Did you miss the deep scratch on the face?

My grade would be Uncirculated sharpness, scratched with some probable environmental damage from spots and the patch of what appears to be corrosion in first obverse photo, second photo in the hair.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DFrohmanDFrohman Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I would give it an MS-72 (or possibly even the unheard of MS-73 with that luster)!
    :D:D:D

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to help but I couldn’t render a guess with these pics. But if I was forced I would go along with @BillJones .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Here are some closeup photos. Not sure they’ll help with grading but here goes. Includes closeup of the scar on Kennedy’s cheek (maybe a strike through or other problem during minting- doesn’t look like a scratch but not sure) and a neat “string” on the reverse. How could that string/thread be part of the coin?

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Plated?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like a strikethrough wire or string-like something.

Kind of looks like an edge/reeding hit from another coin.

IMO

• Options

@bombtech25 said:
    Plated?

Not plated. I personally removed it from the 1965 SMS set last week. Color is off in photo due to lighting.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 6:16PM

@TomB said:

These are going for $4.50 each (wholesale) right now.

This specimen is hardly remarkable but it is lightly frosted and should go MS-65 with a little luck.

I think it could get a little premium from the right buyer.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DFrohman
    I learned a lot reading through your Ike thread and the links that were there. This thread could do the same for someone else.

@DFrohman said:
    I would give it an MS-72 (or possibly even the unheard of MS-73 with that luster)!
    :D:D:D

I think comments like this are unnecessary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file