Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Could a Boeing B-52 take off with a cargo of 14,000,000 Lincoln Cents?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The zinc ones?

Comments

• Options

I am asking for a friend.

;)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zinc or copper ;)

• Options

Zinc. ;)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

;)

Then you should say it on BST. :p

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Coinstartled said:

;)

Then you should say it on BST. :p

Maybe if we paint FedEx on the side the plane, it will move a little faster. ;)

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Roughly 550,000 pounds per million pennies. So 14 million of them would have an approximate weight of 7,700,000 pounds. So NO a plane couldn't take off with that much cargo weight regardless of the type of plane.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Schmitz7 said:
    Roughly 550,000 pounds per million pennies. So 14 million of them would have an approximate weight of 7,700,000 pounds. So NO a plane couldn't take off with that much cargo weight regardless of the type of plane.

550,000 divided by 1,000,000 equals over 1/2 pound per coin.

Hmm... I don't think so?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way a penny weighs a half pound.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Not rated for that much load (according to Google) but I bet it could. Its real close and there's always a fudge factor. Now I'm imagining 14,000,000 pennies from heaven.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 12:07PM

It’s 38.5 tons. I don’t think anything but a barge could handle that. Looked it up and max weight the plane can handle is 35 tons. Close but weight and volume are different. Probably couldn’t fit it all on there.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming it could take off, and subsequently land, How long of a runway would be needed to safely come to a stop???

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you selling your hoard and trying to arrange shipping?

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a C-5M for the job. And yes it can do things weight and volume wise that the bomber can't even think of doing.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

14,000,000coins * 2.5g/coin = 35,000 Kg

The B-52's limit of 70,000 pounds is 31,000 Kg

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

M ;) aybe they were rare "corroded Lincoln Memorial Cent Varieties"!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2020 1:41PM

@BStrauss3 said:
    14,000,000coins * 2.5g/coin = 35,000 Kg

The B-52's limit of 70,000 pounds is 31,000 Kg

But would it take off?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    Personally, the thing I want to see is that theoretically a big Navy carrier could use it's plane catapults to fling a Cadillac across the San Francisco Bay (from SF to Oakland). I just wonder what would be the best music for the background track?

It would probably be like this:
    https://youtu.be/JRAOdRq-1lw

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get 77,000 pounds. A B-52 has a rated payload of 70,000 pounds and a fuel capacity of 310,000 pounds. From these specs, the aircraft easily has the capacity to do it, but not with a full load of fuel.

• Options

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I get 77,000 pounds. A B-52 has a rated payload of 70,000 pounds and a fuel capacity of 310,000 pounds. From these specs, the aircraft easily has the capacity to do it, but not with a full load of fuel.

I'd make two trips anyway. *

Besides PX's don't use coin any longer and haven't used pennies in a quarter century.

• It's just taxpayer money anyway And this is why they still make pennies at all.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

But what if the plane is on a treadmill?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could take off and land no sweat. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, without a quiver.

Several items:

Fuel versus Payload versus Max take off weight:

Payload: 70,000
    Max Fuel: 312,000
    Max Take Off: 488,000

1) Assuming the cents weighed 79,000, it exceeds the payload, but cut 150,000 pounds off by starting off with 1/2 full tanks, the extra 9K is nothing.

2) Those are the "listed" specs. During a Zombie Apocalypse type scenario, where flying cents to air drop on zombies whose only weakness is Zincoons, it could carry a lot more with not so full tanks.

For a Gee Wow, read the attached story about the last C130A cargo plane to get out of Vietnam, rated at 64 paratroops or 90 combat loaded soldiers, that carried 452 people including 32 in the cockpit alone. The plane has a drop down rear loading area, and as it was trying to get airborne under fire at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, it had to swerve and brake continuously to avoid wreckage, shell fire, etc. Every time it slammed on the brakes, it compressed the people in the cargo hold like sardines, and more people scrambled on. It took all 9000 feet of the runway and another 1000 feet on the overrun.

It's cargo rating is 45K and it was over at least 20K.

https://www.codeonemagazine.com/c130_article.html?item_id=145

If you look back at 9/11, a lot of heavies had to set down on small airport runways. Just because you can land, does not mean you can take off. Afterward, there was a whole process of completely unloading the aircraft, removing extra weight (such as seats, galley carts, etc. as needed), draining fuel or fueling them basically enough to hop them to a large airport, and having special test pilot type pilots, correct winds, etc. and obviously no passengers to do a short runway take off, and get to a "regular" airport.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody's math is wrong.

I had two guys come down from New York and pick up 460,000 wheats last year and they hauled them away in an escalade SUv, it was rubbing the ground, but they did it.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now we know why we didn't pay Iran off in pennies.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

460,000 wheaties (3.11 g each - solid copper) weighs 2,500 lbs. Doable, but quite a load for an SUV.

BTW, a B-52 wouldn’t be used for cargo. They’d probably use a C-130 Herc or C-5 Galaxy.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2020 7:00PM

@BryceM said:
    BTW, a B-52 wouldn’t be used for cargo. They’d probably use a C-130 Herc or C-5 Galaxy.

Unless you wanted to drop the 14,000,000 Lincolns on a target. >:)

• Options
    edited January 25, 2020 7:13PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@BryceM said:

Unless you wanted to drop the 14,000,000 Lincolns on a target. >:)

And drop some Whitman folders for good measure.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about 77,000 lbs. What is the maximum cargo capacity of a B52?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you fly them to N. Korea and drop them from the sky to end poverty there? Oh wait, maybe it would kill you if hit by one....nah....back to my nap.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Best thread I’m late to award :)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure this could do the job and then some:

The Ukrainian An-225 "Mriya" - the largest cargo aircraft ever built.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched a full loaded 80k pound semi go over a wood bridge listed at 10k max. Bridge barely shuttered. Most safety ratings on things are highly conservative.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@robec said:

Or made in China and maybe the plane is departing from China LOL

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited January 26, 2020 8:53AM

@ricko said:
    I am frequently entertained by the strange topics that come up on this forum....such as this one....and I wonder what combination of late night snacks and libations fuel such thoughts.... :D Never mind, I really do not need to know... ;) Cheers, RickO

One can only assimilate so many pocket change error threads.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I am frequently entertained by the strange topics that come up on this forum....such as this one....and I wonder what combination of late night snacks and libations fuel such thoughts.... :D Never mind, I really do not need to know... ;) Cheers, RickO

@WAYNEAS said:

@291fifth said:

@robec said:

Or made in China and maybe the plane is departing from China LOL

@ricko said:

It's all about the wine flow and caffeine for me

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Could you fly them to N. Korea and drop them from the sky to end poverty there? Oh wait, maybe it would kill you if hit by one....nah....back to my nap.

bob :)

You wouldn't have to drop them, Bob.

Just fly the plane into North Korean airspace and the SAMs will do it for you.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@ricko said:

One can only assimilate so many pocket change error threads.

Resistance is futile!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    The zinc ones?

Do those Priority Mail boxes still have weight restrictions? >:)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 10:31AM

I don't know.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clipped planchets would lighten the load.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Clipped planchets would lighten the load.

Agree

@Hydrant said:
    s. No possible cuds allowed. ?

Not sure what you meant but cuds weigh the same as normal coins.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 10:34AM

Interesting.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    I watched a full loaded 80k pound semi go over a wood bridge listed at 10k max. Bridge barely shuttered. Most safety ratings on things are highly conservative.

When my son was little, fascinated with trucks trucks trucks, he saw a truck load limit sign with multiple trucks and weights and asked what it meant. I told him that was how big a truck could drive on the bridge. He asked how they knew that? I told him they had special trucks and drivers, and when a bridge was new, they drove across the bridge until it broke. They weighed the truck, and rebuilt the bridge, and that is what was on the sign.

For my daughter, while I was working in the garage, she happened ask where the tooth fairy got her money. I told her she sold the teeth to the paint can company, and proceeded to shake a can so she could hear the rattle. Later, I took an empty can, vented it, cut a small slot, got the steel ball out and slipped in a baby tooth we had laying around. I then "opened" it in her presence.

Both my kids were awed at the vast knowledge of DAD.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Been fortunate to be around this plane and had a relative and a good friend who flew it mission capable.
    Can’t believe how small it was the first time I stood next to it on the ramp. But I’m used to being around jumbos and heavies.
    Maybe it would be more appropriate if you asked if the daddy Anatov could lift it.
    Great question though.....love anything aviation related.
    I once found a penny on the inlet lip of RR 757 engine after the plane landed. Does that count?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file