Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eureka! I have found it! 1875-CC “Wide CC” Trade Dollar

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now there are three. The “Wide CC” (1.2mm) Trade dollars are a well known subset of the series among Trade dollar collectors. Starting with the 1873-CC and ending with the 1876-CC, a small number from each year were minted using the same reverse die with a 1.2mm wide, small cc mint mark. Until recently, the only examples were from 1873, 1874 and 1876. All are rare or scarce, with the 74-CC generally thought of as the toughest, followed by the 73 and then the 76. For years collectors wondered about the apparent gap year of 1875, searching in vain for an example. Then, a couple years ago a board member here found the first 1875 “Wide CC” and shortly after that another was found. Both have issues, grading XF details (one is cleaned, the other has minor rim damage). Last week I plucked this one off of Ebay. It is a very wholesome looking coin, grading VF30 at PCGS. At this time, it is the only known, no problem straight graded example of this very rare variety, which kinda makes it the “Finest Known”. It completes the “Wide CC” subset for me. I am SO stoked to have found it!

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Congratulations mbogoman on finding a rare coin for your subset coin collection! It looks to be a very nice one, again, congrats on finally finding one for yourself!

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! A very rare die combination; no examples of this reverse die can be considered common, but this is the king of the set.

Your thoughts, @Crypto ?

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickup- too bad it doesnt have a chop mark :d

seriously though, congrats. that is one of the tough ones!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting your white whale!

It looks very nice even if it were the common variety!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! Congrats.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome and I'm happy for you.
    Love the look of it too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go sir. I love the look of that one.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow good for you!

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a find! Congratulations. and a beautiful looking circulated trade dollar, regardless of rarity.

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

That's awesome! Congratulations!!

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due diligence and knowledge pays off. Good find

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Wholesome Coin!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on having the tenacity to not give up and finding the last piece to complete your Trade Dollar wide "C C" short set.

I would be stoked too.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, nice looking coin. Persistence pays off.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    Congrats on having the tenacity to not give up and finding the last piece to complete your Trade Dollar wide "C C" short set.

I would be stoked too.

Donato

@mbogoman. Divecchia beat me to the "I'd be stoked too" comment.

I most certainly would be.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @mbogoman!

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Sweet!

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coin... Well done! Does this coin complete the Trade dollar set completely or is it just the subset? What’s next on the list.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, I too was wondering, not jokingky, about the absence of chopmarks, would you rather have a td with or with out the marks for your subset?

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

Huge congrats, that is much nicer than the one that I found ;)

• Options

@rln_14 said:
    Congrats, I too was wondering, not jokingky, about the absence of chopmarks, would you rather have a td with or with out the marks for your subset?

I prefer no chops. None of my Trade dollars are chopped.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 3:47PM

@Crusty said:
    Very cool coin... Well done! Does this coin complete the Trade dollar set completely or is it just the subset? What’s next on the list.

I never set out to build a complete Trade dollar set when this all started many years ago. First it was just a CC Trade dollar for my silver dollar type set. Then I decided to build a CC dollar set. Then about 7 years ago I saw Crypto's old Hub-Type set in the Registry and I was hooked! I have been lucky enough to have acquired almost all of the rare, tough, hard to find varieties, many in the "wild". Right now, all I have left to acquire are some "commons": 73-S, 74-S, 75-S Type 2 and 77-P (I'm looking for the DDO on this one). I strive for original looking coins in choice XF to AU58, but of course with some of the tougher varieties you take what you can get. At some point this year I'll be putting my set up on the Registry - just haven't got around to it yet...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a unique find.... Your set sounds impressive. Look forward to seeing it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Crap

Only the third known and the only graded example. I agree with the others that say that is a charming example of a CC dollar even without the super Cool 1.2mm Wide CC. You are a scholar and a gentlemen and I applaud you for how you built your set. I actually miss the Wide CCs and the 76s DDO the most. Those were the coins that always were the first to come out of the box.

The 75cc wide is up there with the
    75p type 1/1 (in UNC)
    76p Type 2/2 (in UNC)
    76s DDO (graded)
    75cc wide (any)

are the kings of the set and define the collector

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 2:43PM

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    Very nice! A very rare die combination; no examples of this reverse die can be considered common, but this is the king of the set.

Your thoughts, @Crypto ?

Jealous :D

I have been following his set for a few years and his hunting has been refreshing to see compared to some low comprehension trophy hunters. It is the studying and friends that make the hobby. The looking and finding.

The money and profit/ loss aspect can make you lose sight of the history and comparing your coins to other peoples will always make you see the flaws in yours. A grade or sticker doesn’t make a coin, the owner’s comprehension of what they (ok “he” 99.9999% of the time) have does IMHO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I just picked up the 74 wide CC PCGS50 at FUN for my Variety Type Set.

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Congrats!! Intensely tough coin to find! Great job! One of three known!!!!!! Keoj

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the conditions of the three known examples? I pulled an image off the internet some time (?) ago of a
    raw XF/AU.

• Options

One has a very slight rim ding. No cleaning, just a rim impact. Barely discernable but correctly attributed.. Grade is approx. VF 30 to XF 40.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, super nice find! I'm so glad you got it.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any post that brings out our beloved TD-loving Yeti @keoj must be special indeed!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@rln_14 said:

only chopped for me :)

• Options

@mbogoman said:

@Crusty said:

I never set out to build a complete Trade dollar set when this all started many years ago. First it was just a CC Trade dollar for my silver dollar type set. Then I decided to build a CC dollar set. Then about 7 years ago I saw Crypto's old Hub-Type set in the Registry and I was hooked! I have been lucky enough to have acquired almost all of the rare, tough, hard to find varieties, many in the "wild". Right now, all I have left to acquire are some "commons": 73-S, 74-S, 75-S Type 2 and 77-P (I'm looking for the DDO on this one). I strive for original looking coins in choice XF to AU58, but of course with some of the tougher varieties you take what you can get. At some point this year I'll be putting my set up on the Registry - just haven't got around to it yet...

This is the same story for me. I really thought it was only going to be a type coin. How was I wrong!

• Options

Welcome to the dark side!!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Very nice! I just picked up the 74 wide CC PCGS50 at FUN for my Variety Type Set.

lets see it!

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 1:57PM

I found the 76-cc wide with a chop... but thats most common of the 4.

it's XF cleaned

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@DIMEMAN said:

lets see it!

I will definitely get a pic when I can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file