Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 United States Coins You Can’t Own

As we know, several extremely rare United States coins are worth millions of dollars apiece and can ever only be owned by a tiny handful of collectors. Even the iconic 1933 Saint Gaudens $20 Double Eagle, which is generally illegal to own, yields one specimen that was legally monetized by the United States government and presently resides in a private collection.

Yet, there is a small number of unique coins that are stowed away in public collections and museums, leaving them unavailable for private ownership. Which coins are they? Where can they be seen in person? Check out the link for a rundown on five of the most iconic unique coins you can’t own.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/five-united-states-coins-you-cannot-own

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... some real rarities....That gold double eagle would be something to hold...I like gold coins 'in hand'....Cheers, RickO

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes you wonder what the one and only monetized 1933 Saint Gauden would go for in auction if it were to hit the market today.

Does anyone know who is in possession of the 1933 Saint, I don't think it has ever been disclosed.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

The unique 1849 Liberty Head Double Eagle has been theorized by many to be the most valuable United States coin ever struck.

I'd say J-1776 would probably eclipse it.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020 1:23PM

At least I've gotten to hold a few of them. But what about the 1877 half unions, both of which are in the Smithsonian's grasp?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coin that has a comma in the price.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020 2:30PM

@PCGS_SocialMedia said:

As we know, several extremely rare United States coins are worth millions of dollars apiece and can ever only be owned by a tiny handful of collectors. Even the iconic 1933 Saint Gaudens $20 Double Eagle, which is generally illegal to own, yields one specimen that was legally monetized by the United States government and presently resides in a private collection.

Yet, there is a small number of unique coins that are stowed away in public collections and museums, leaving them unavailable for private ownership. Which coins are they? Where can they be seen in person? Check out the link for a rundown on five of the most iconic unique coins you can’t own.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/five-united-states-coins-you-cannot-own

Thanks for sharing. While the pictured 1849 Double Eagle certainly qualifies despite being termed a pattern as you noted, there is another Double Eagle which is not a pattern that also is not available for private purchase and is also locked away in a museum. It is from the first year of production of the Double Eagle, 1850 and the Museum located in France contends it is a proof, a contention agreed with by David Hall and several others who have seen it.

For anyone interested in more information about the subject coin including how it may have been obtained in the 1800s by the Paris museum in which it is located here is a link to a thread on the subject of 1850 Proof Double Eagles initiated by some impressive research done by Numismatic Author Roger Burdette. A photograph of the coin (Courtesy Bibliotheque nationale de France) can be seen in John W. Dannreuther's recently published book, "United States Proof Coins, Volume IV, Part Two" at page 864.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/993882/1850-proof-double-eagle-inquiry/p1

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    At least I've gotten to hold a few of them. But what about the 1877 half unions, both of which are in the Smithsonian's grasp?

Assuming you're speaking of gold ones, add them to the list!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

1964-D Peace Dollars

1974 -P and 1974-D Aluminum Cents
    (although the 74-P is still owned by a family,
    as far as I can determine)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read that the mint mark on the 1970-S $3 coin was hand engraved into the die at the SF Mint and only 2 pieces were struck. If trut, that engraver sure did a wonderful job! >:)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one of them to pose for a picture.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive got a 100 coins that none of you can own

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's add the 2000-W Sacagawea Proof 22K Gold Dollar to the list.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

Pardon me while I one-up you... that same 1849, alongside some of its buddies: an ultra-high relief, 2 1933s, and a set of 1804 dollars :)

Holy cow! What if somebody sneezed, or tripped and bumped into you. That might actually make a good joke video or GIF.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@messydesk said:

Pardon me while I one-up you... that same 1849, alongside some of its buddies: an ultra-high relief, 2 1933s, and a set of 1804 dollars :)

Is that MY Linderman Class III dollar you are holding???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

It was my understanding that the Bass Estate still owns the 1870-S $3, and could theoretically take it back and sell it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:

@airplanenut said:

@messydesk said:

Is that MY Linderman Class III dollar you are holding???

It's all of ours :)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post @PCGS_SocialMedia !

I loved reading about these coins and their journey through various collectors to their permanent residences.

Amazing that 4 out of the 5 were donated to the Smithsonian.

The article mentions the 1849 Double Eagle is unique. Is there no hope for finding the William M Meredeth specimen?

@MFeld said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@airplanenut said:

Holy cow! What if somebody sneezed, or tripped and bumped into you. That might actually make a good joke video or GIF.

Not to worry - unknown to Jeremy, he was holding a tray of copies.😉

That means the museum-going public was... duped!!! :neutral:

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 10:01PM

.> @Insider2 said:

I just read that the mint mark on the 1970-S $3 coin was hand engraved into the die at the SF Mint and only 2 pieces were struck. If trut, that engraver sure did a wonderful job! >:)

I would think that an expert engraver could do something as simple as a mintmark at will.

@BryceM said:
    .> @Insider2 said:

I would think that an expert engraver could do something as simple as a mintmark at will.

But the SF Mint had no engravers, expert or otherwise.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@BryceM said:
    .> @Insider2 said:

But the SF Mint had no engravers, expert or otherwise.

No, but there were some excellent jewellers in that city that could engrave.

thefinn
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

JK:

Looks like Boiler78 over your left shoulder, RKKay over your right - just need to identify the wearer of the flip phone on his belt...... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Is that 1970-S a large or a small date?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@Lakesammman said:
    JK:

Looks like Boiler78 over your left shoulder, RKKay over your right - just need to identify the wearer of the flip phone on his belt...... :D

I couldn't say for sure... I'd have to see if there are any other photos of people from the day, but yes, you got those two guys right. It wasn't too much earlier that I found the original school girl dollar sketches and metal engravings that rather excited @RKKay.

• RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Lakesammman said:
    JK:

I couldn't say for sure... I'd have to see if there are any other photos of people from the day, but yes, you got those two guys right. It wasn't too much earlier that I found the original school girl dollar sketches and metal engravings that rather excited @RKKay.

Scary description of my response. How about these for a couple of those things you can't own?

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@messydesk said:

That was a fun day!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file