Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JANUARY 2020 NEW YEARS PICKUPS / SLABBING

Didn't see the January 2020 post so figured I'd start the monthly pickups post again. Some more recent slabs. Biggio's and some Walker's the Walker Gold Finest is part of a project= rest are resale slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that the Rose photo is different than the one on his actual card from the set. Very cool box.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

2000 chrome look so sharp with the gold.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 7:17PM

Wow love those ‘68s. Great cards.

On a side note I think it is awful that PSA does not make the orientation the same direction on all sideways cards. Hate that they sometimes flip back and forth.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Just ripped a box of Prizm Fast Break and got these two. Might be good cards...who knows?!?!?

Congrats!! Herro has been tearing it up this year. The Zion centering looks pretty strong as well. I like the alternate photo on it too.

Still absolutely infuriating that such a large amount of 2019 prizm is off-centered. You'd think they'd have better production quality at this point. Especially considering that Topps uses the same facility for their printing and seem to have less problems.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Just ripped a box of Prizm Fast Break and got these two. Might be good cards...who knows?!?!?

Congrats!! Herro has been tearing it up this year. The Zion centering looks pretty strong as well. I like the alternate photo on it too.

Still absolutely infuriating that such a large amount of 2019 prizm is off-centered. You'd think they'd have better production quality at this point. Especially considering that Topps uses the same facility for their printing and seem to have less problems.

Yeah, didn't realize that Herro was worth as much as it is when I pulled it. And yes, another Zion with bad centering. I have been fortunate to pull 2 silver prizm Zions and now this disco Zion out of a total of 2 fast break boxes, 2 retail boxes and 8 blasters. My second silver Zion is on it's way to BGS(shhhhh, don't tell PSA) and these two might be as well.
    I am really curious to see how many actual centered gems come out of these boxes in the next few months. Nearly impossible to find a Zion Silver with perfect centering. If he pans out, that could play a huge role in valuation. If he partakes in too much gumbo and keeps getting injured, it could be a moot point.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 said:

@brad31 said:
    Wow love those ‘68s. Great cards.

On a side note I think it is awful that PSA does not make the orientation the same direction on all sideways cards. Hate that they sometimes flip back and forth.

I agree, the orientation on the Santo is driving me crazy. Here are some HOFers from 20 years ago and a couple who will probably make it one day

I have made it a point to call PSA every time they flip it wrong and get a re-slab done. To me when it's on the left it distracts the eyes. The card itself should always be the primary focus when the label is on the left it always takes my eyes towards irritating print on the left. It's like looking at a painting that has the wrong frame😞

My own personal views of course others may have different thoughts

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 8:34PM

Some new golf Hall of Famer slabs back from PSA . Strange is a pop 1 none higher Ochoas a Pop 2 just 1 Gem out there

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 10:10PM

totally not like me to pick up unlicensed but these Leaf cards are sharp and beautiful and autos can be had for cheap. snagged a /15 Acuna auto to go with this one. I know the stigma around non-licensed but they sure have some cool design ideas.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

A L.A. feel today

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Always in search of the odd issue

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

More for my 48 leaf boxing set. I already had a Betinni, but mine was a 5. Had some eBay bucks and got this 7 for a song. The raw Sullivan and Christofordis came from our very own Promethius. Gorgeous cards.

• Options

@Moonman said:

Ate a lot of cereal as a kid to complete that set.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card on the right with the yellow color is the 2000 W.R. Priddy Antiques Joe Louis. I've been looking for this card for a long time, with no luck. It is a beast to track down. My luck finally changed about ten minutes ago.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@Moonman said:

Woof!

(that is a Purina, not a Quaker Oats)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:

@brad31 said:

@Moonman said:

Woof!

They produced a LOT of different cereal brands for humans, too. The different Chex cereals are what come to my mind first. Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, Bran Chex, etc. I had several of those Ralston Purina baseball card sets. I believe you needed a certain number of proofs of purchase from the cereal boxes and then a small shipping and handling fee.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@georgebailey2 said:

@brad31 said:

@Moonman said:

Woof!

They produced a LOT of different cereal brands for humans, too. The different Chex cereals are what come to my mind first. Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, Bran Chex, etc. I had several of those Ralston Purina baseball card sets. I believe you needed a certain number of proofs of purchase from the cereal boxes and then a small shipping and handling fee.

I stand corrected. Ralston Purina didn't sell their food products to General Mills until the 90's. I also assumed that since the cereals were typically branded as Ralston (at least the Chex) that the cards were distributed via their pet products. However, I saw an image of Cookie Crisp with the card promotion on it.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite cereals was Quisp and I loved watching Johnny Quest while eating it.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

>

I'll refrain for overly long posts but if anyone has additional info I always love getting added backup to items I own RALSTON PURINA POST

As you can see in that post has the methods of obtaining the sets. My 1984 backup was and still is in storage so I haven't been able to update that post in quite a while. Its enjoyable to me to learn about the items I own :) so if you have any additional info I'd love to get it emailed to me.

jeff

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Tim, awesome piece!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 - just a heads up I have a couple Staubachs on their way to REA for Auction. A 1975 Topps Staubach in PSA 10 and a 1976 Topps Staubach in PSA 10

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

A upgrade from a 9.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just grabbed this one up today

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

This maybe deserves it's own thread, as I really have no idea what I have here. I just thought they would be cool pickups, as they remind me of the 64 Topps Giants photography. It's not very often that I come across items that I've never seen before. Any additional background info would be appreciated.

Without further ado...the 1983 MACTAC Starliner sticker set.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    This maybe deserves it's own thread, as I really have no idea what I have here. I just thought they would be cool pickups, as they remind me of the 64 Topps Giants photography. It's not very often that I come across items that I've never seen before. Any additional background info would be appreciated.

Without further ado...the 1983 MACTAC Starliner sticker set.

The pics are copies of the 1967 Dexter Press set, but far smaller in size. I think PSA has graded a few examples in the past, but no longer does.

• Options

Love the cloth stickers. Have a box of them that I would like to open someday but will probably never pull the trigger. Would love to see the rest of what you open.

Don’t know anything about the star liner stickers but I like them. Nice find. How do you know it is from 1983? Would have guessed it was from about ‘67 based on Colavito being an Indian and Palmer being included.