Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Had to sell off my entire collection for this.

2»

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful home...Congratulations and Semper Fi....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! (Making sure wife isn't looking over my shoulder at those beautiful kitchens, getting ideas...)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!!! Looks fantastic!
    Gonna downsize to one floor when I retire too.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your new beautiful home!

May you make many happy memories in it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Congratulations!!! Looks fantastic!
    Gonna downsize to one floor when I retire too.

I'm 48 and I planned ahead. Lol

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good move. Beautiful home. Must have been a quality collection!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations 👌👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

House and family trump coins every time!

Congratulations. Wishes for many happy years there.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! You made a good decision, very nice home, Enjoy

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your new home! Definitely a good decision!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your beautiful home, and may you have a lifetime of happy memories there.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool house. You did good.

Larry

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Enjoy the new house!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

couldn't you buy/build a house without snow?

Congrats & good luck

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It only snowed in the front yard...... B)

Congrats on building a home.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins in this thread. When you get going again, pick coins that make you go "ohhhhh" when you see them. In other words, ones that aren't so easily replaced. :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in the early 1980s, I sold an original, not put together, 1909 Proof set (Indian Cent through Barber Half Dollar) as part of the down payment on my first house. It turned out to be a great investment.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool trade!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like I always tell my parents as a excuse to buy more coins, coin collecting is an investment. Some day it will be used to achieve great things in life for example in your case, a new house 👍

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! The house is far more useful and is also more likely to appreciate and keep up with inflation (with some exceptions).

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

Your next box of 20 will be even better than the first.

We're building right now on 5 acres, so I know the stress and 5,000 decisions you recently made it through. Congrats!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy holidays to you and every one in your life. Something about the security of one's own home. Well done! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home Sweet Home <3 Your dream has come true

:)

;)

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

congratulations...

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no place like home! Congrats on a smart move! :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Nice box...er, um, home! Good choice. Must've been a sweet 20.
    MOS 2531 '78-'82

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

You ABSOLUTELY did the right thing!!! Congratulations on the new house, it looks sweet.

On a purely financial aspect you probably did well too, as coin prices have, for the most part, continued to decline while property has tended to go upwards. On a personal aspect you've also made your wife happy, so that's a Whole Bunch of Bonus Points there.

I have no idea what the budget is for your Box of 20, so I'll do a couple of different ones.

Inexpensive. Raw Peace dollars, XF or AU for the tougher dates, MS-63 for the common dates... nice big hunks of silver on an attractive design...

Moderate price. Type set. Any grade from G on up depending on Type. Lot's of different interesting designs.

Expensive. IMO the most attractive US design is the DBHE, and, if you're playing in this end of the swimming pool, why not go for the Biggest pieces, e.g. the silver dollars...

• Options
    crump41crump41 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Sweet and congrats.

I'm sorta in the same boat with a collection and housing needs. My wife, young son and I have outgrown my old bachelor pad. I bought some land 3 years ago, but the project never got off the ground. Every time I think we are ready, some other financial need seems to spring up - not to mention building costs continue to rise. I've considered selling off the coins to give me that last little push. I don't think I would regret it, as I don't even look at the coins anymore.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!! George Carlin once said, "A house is just a box for your stuff!" So, now you've bought your box, good luck on filling it with your new 20! Nice box!

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2019 7:40AM

Congrats on your beautiful new home!!

Looks like you built everything to code as the outdoor deck looks properly built.

Real nice front porch too.

Did you build a 'secret room' in your house for your new box of twenty? (maybe you shouldn't answer that).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I sold the majority of my coin collection to refinance my house back in 2011. Best decision I ever made.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. One thing I'll be doing in the box of 20 is a silver dollar sub set. I'm thinking a flowing hair will be the first one in the box.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful home!!! It's so nice to see HARD work and dedication pay off. Some things never change. Well done!

Congrats,
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file