Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Went to MSNS today

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Good: Bought one token. Wish I found more. The show was packed which is great.

The Odd: Old men were hitting on my wife like crazy. One asked to touch her.

The Usual: People need to wash themselves before attending coin shows. Disgusting.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian way too funny. Great report I felt like I was there :#

I miss the Hyatt shows. Where was it this year?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was also there this afternoon. I just can't get excited about the show as the hall at Macomb Community College, Warren Campus, is sterile and poorly lit. (Try viewing the exhibits).

I looked at some of the dealer stocks of ancients and wished I had never sold mine ... but that is now ancient history in itself. So far as the US coins go, I found myself having little interest in even the early issues and absolutely no interest in the modern issues.

I sold nothing and bought nothing. Black Friday had already claimed my spending allowance.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Brian way too funny. Great report I felt like I was there :#

I miss the Hyatt shows. Where was it this year?

m

The show has been at the Macomb Community College for the last 5+ years or so. The show was pretty packed and the area devoted to tables seemed to be smaller than in previous years despite the same number of dealers participating.

• Options

I did hope to see @commoncents05 who hasn't frequented the forum in a while but no luck.

I saw a very nice MS64 Ferdinand VII 8R, an 1810-L Small Bust which was attractive but not a blazer. Very tough coin!

Dalton Gold and Silver whipped out an 1883-O $10 in VG10 CAC OGH which was priced at $50,000. Coolest coin I saw.

I spent the most time with Paul Cunningham looking through tokens for my Hometown Exonumia set and that is where I found one scarce early transportation token in the highest grade I have recorded.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 2:40PM

Thanks for the report!
    Man I’m old too.
    I assumed it was still held at the Hyatt Regency at the mall in Dearborn.
    That used to be a don’t miss show back in the 80’s and 90’s before I moved south. Many good memories;
    I wish I had the knowledge and $ I have now, back then.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 3:32PM

Just got home from the MSNS show. Good crowd, didn’t get a chance to visit many dealers, maybe tomorrow. Spent my time setting my CWT Store Card exhibit. The Exhibit area seemed a bit crowded this year.

The old Dearborn Hyatt hotel has been condemned as unsafe by the city. Seems a shame that the series of owners chose not to maintain it properly.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Hyatt was a great location indeed, I haven't been back since it moved.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 5:50PM

What kinda show report is this... No picture or the Token or Wife? :'(

Reminds me of my local smaller shows as some attendees look like they rolled out of bed the week before. Sometimes you walk through a cloud of funk you can't shake and you look to see if you steeped in something you're dragging along? :s

@Boosibri Wait is this how you spent your honeymoon? :p

If so nice upgrade as she seems like a keeper! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:

Reminds me of my local smaller shows as some attendees look like they rolled out of bed the week before. Sometimes you walk through a cloud of funk you can't shake and you look to see if you steeped in something you're dragging along? :s

Haha, no honeymoon yet, head to Napa next week and then Florida for a bit but no proper honeymoon in the books until February. Any recommendations?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang....while it's been years since I did the show and stayed at the Hyatt....how did it get so bad? It was very nice when I was there and always ate the very good all you can eat Thanksgiving dinner!

@PennyGuy said:
    Just got home from the MSNS show. Good crowd, didn’t get a chance to visit many dealers, maybe tomorrow. Spent my time setting my CWT Store Card exhibit. The Exhibit area seemed a bit crowded this year.

The old Dearborn Hyatt hotel has been condemned as unsafe by the city. Seems a shame that the series of owners chose not to maintain it properly.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri wait is this how you spe> @Boosibri said:

@Broadstruck said:

Haha, no honeymoon yet, head to Napa next week and then Florida for a bit but no proper honeymoon in the books until February. Any recommendations?

Plan the Florida trip around the FUN show :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It used to be one of my favorite shows. Haven't been there since it was in Dearborn, tho, as I can't get around too well these days. It was always a good show for cherrypicking varieties.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Broadstruck said:

I’m taking my wife to MAUI in February....come join us.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't gone to that show in years and it still stinks ? I always thought it was me. I do like farting in crowds then look around like I'm trying to figure out who did it.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    The Good: Bought one token. Wish I found more. The show was packed which is great.

The Odd: Old men were hitting on my wife like crazy. One asked to touch her.

The Usual: People need to wash themselves before attending coin shows. Disgusting.

Dirty old men. Typical.

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Dang....while it's been years since I did the show and stayed at the Hyatt....how did it get so bad? It was very nice when I was there and always ate the very good all you can eat Thanksgiving dinner!

Yeah, it was really too bad. I was on the MSNS Board when the Hyatt people left the building. We were told the owners wouldn’t spend any money on the building. Even after the Ballroom roof leaked all over some dealers tables during a show. After Hyatt left the owners brought in a couple other hoteliers but the building continued to deteriorate until a bankruptcy closed it.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought my wife a shirt which reads "I have multiple personalities and none of them like you." Suggest you do likewise for your wife and have her wear it to the next show she attends.

The other thing you could do is bring a can of Lysol or equivalent to the next show and spray the major offenders (who smell the worst).

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have great memories of that show when it was in Dearborn. It was always a very good show. Some great times traveling at 2-3 AM from the Chicago area with the Mad one ...and the rubber chicken!

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Broadstruck said:

Nice report, but maybe you could try being a little less prolific with the details next time?
    Honeymoon destinations? If you like somewhere warm - Aruba or Turks & Caicos.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been maybe a decade since I have attended coin shows, it did seem like there were an uncomfortable number of anti-social, conspiracy theorists and musky non-bathing types though.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report...though the second installment had more detail :D Too bad 'atmosphere'.... However, pictures would have been good...as long as they were not in 'smellovision'... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Been maybe a decade since I have attended coin shows, it did seem like there were an uncomfortable number of anti-social, conspiracy theorists and musky non-bathing types though.

Sure you didn't go to a gun show? :p

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

@Boosibri Sorry I missed you! I was there on Friday as well and wondered if I might run into you. I hope things are going well. I don’t hang around here much anymore but I do check in from time to time.

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file