Home Sports Talk

Question for my Sports Talk Brethren

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you guys collect for cards? I’m a huge fan of the 1952 Bowman Large Football Cards, that’s my primary collecting focus. Secondary is the rest of the 50-55 Bowman Football Cards. We all pretty much know what team/s we root for but I really don’t know what you guys collect for cards

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm primarily an unopened baseball collector, 1970-1983. Always loved cards in their individual packaging and that part of the hobby has exploded in recent years. Rack packs woith Seaver or Grote on top get a premium, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 5:13PM

Topps rack packs with George Brett and Cal Ripken showing on top, and
    1983 topps rack packs with Gwynn showing on top. Also other baseball rack packs with
    stars showing.
    Just got two 1986 BB wax boxes from a sealed case, wanting to do a fasc run from 1981-1990.
    George Brett and Willie Stargell PSA player set registry.
    Trying to do a Patrick Mahomes 2018 panini prizm run of the different colored cards but even though
    its his second year cards some of them are getting pretty expensive. For instance, put in a bid of $55 for
    a blue scope prizm card a couple nights ago thinking I had a decent chance and it went for $149. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited November 25, 2019 5:36PM

Don't know why my post is double spaced.
    Did not intend for it to be.
    Okay, this is not good!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

1962 Topps baseball and 1952 Topps baseball are my favorite sets.

1960's cards mainly with an emphasis on the 50's and 70's as well.

1960's inserts love 'em. Little bit of pre-WW2 baseball, and an assortment of football cards 50's thru 70's.

Little bit of modern, as i usually "invest" in a few blasters each season, and always strike out value-wise but it's still cool to see the new cards.

I also enjoy those non-sports cards from the 1960's IE: Beatles, Superman, Batman, TV shows, etc.

Been thinking about getting more into those assorted sports and non-sports tobacco cards. They are pretty cool and very affordable in VG-EX type grade.

I also avidly collect coins. Whether i favor cards or coins at a particular time depends on the mood i'm in. :)

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much of anything anymore. I have two sets that, off and on, I try to fill in holes:

2003 Press Pass Football (trying to complete all the autograph and #'d sets)

2001 Atomic Football Patches - am missing just a handful of these

What I find odd is just how rare unopened product of the Press Pass stuff is. It was all over the place in 2003 and 2004, easily found. Non-existent since then.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Don't know why my post is double spaced.
    Did not intend for it to be.
    Okay, this is not good!

I like double spacing....easier to read. B)

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

PSA graded HOF superstars from all major sports, including old boxing. Mostly vintage collector, but have grabbed newer rookies from Trout, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, LBJ, Giannis, Durant, etc.

@grote15 said:
    I'm primarily an unopened baseball collector, 1970-1983. Always loved cards in their individual packaging and that part of the hobby has exploded in recent years. Rack packs woith Seaver or Grote on top get a premium, lol..

<<< Seaver or Grote on top get a premium >>>

Worst implication of comparable value that i've ever seen. ;)

Oh and i almost forgot, i actively collect Dallas Cowboys football cards.....

.....to use as kindling in my fireplace. 🔥

B)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    1983 topps rack packs with Gwynn showing on top. Also other baseball rack packs with
    stars showing.
    Just got two 1986 BB wax boxes from a sealed case, wanting to do a fasc run from 1981-1990.
    Trying to do a Patrick Mahomes 2018 panini prizm run of the different colored cards but even though
    its his second year cards some of them are getting pretty expensive. For instance, put in a bid of $55 for
    a blue scope prizm card a couple nights ago thinking I had a decent chance and it went for $149. LOL.

Always loved the 75 Brett RC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@stevek said:

1960's inserts love 'em. Little bit of pre-WW2 baseball, and an assortment of football cards 50's thru 70's.

Little bit of modern, as i usually "invest" in a few blasters each season, and always strike out value-wise but it's still cool to see the new cards.

I also enjoy those non-sports cards from the 1960's IE: Beatles, Superman, Batman, TV shows, etc.

Been thinking about getting more into those assorted sports and non-sports tobacco cards. They are pretty cool and very affordable in VG-EX type grade.

I also avidly collect coins. Whether i favor cards or coins at a particular time depends on the mood i'm in. :)

What coins do you collect?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 6:43PM

I collect a little bit of everything, vintage and modern, but my main focus right now is Joe Louis. I've just become obsessed with him. I'm always on the lookout for anything Joe Louis. I watched a documentary about him a while back, and just became fascinated with him and his era. Watching the old black and white footage of his fights, his 11 year reign as heavyweight champion, I just can't get enough of it. I need serious help. As a matter of fact, I just got finished not 30 minutes ago making a deal with a guy on Ebay for an original 1939 newspaper with Joe Louis on the front knocking out "Two Ton" Tony Galento. I need counseling.

@doubledragon said:
    I collect a little bit of everything, vintage and modern, but my main focus right now is Joe Louis. I've just become obsessed with him. I'm always on the lookout for anything Joe Louis. I watched a documentary about him a while back, and just became fascinated with him and his era. Watching the old black and white footage of his fights, his 11 year reign as heavyweight champion, I just can't get enough of it. I need serious help.

Isn't he (Joe Lewis) the one that said "you can run, but you can't hide"?

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:
    I collect a little bit of everything, vintage and modern, but my main focus right now is Joe Louis. I've just become obsessed with him. I'm always on the lookout for anything Joe Louis. I watched a documentary about him a while back, and just became fascinated with him and his era. Watching the old black and white footage of his fights, his 11 year reign as heavyweight champion, I just can't get enough of it. I need serious help.

Isn't he (Joe Lewis) the one that said "you can run, but you can't hide"?

Yes, and he was nicknamed "the brown bomber".

And here is the original 1939 New York Daily News newspaper I bought about 30 minutes ago on Ebay. The original newspapers can be a little bit difficult to track down. It details his fight with "Two Ton"" Tony Galento. The guy was nicknamed "Two Ton" because of his big size. There was also a book written about that fight entitled "Two Ton".

Here's the book.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 6:56PM

Nice Double D, I collect vintage Football programs as well

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Currently working (slowly) on acquiring PCGS 64, 65, and 66 Indian cents, circulation strike and proof. There is a certain "look" that i prefer, and it's not always easy to find.

However I've always liked every US coin. If i can get a great deal on it, i'll collect it. :)

@perkdog said:

Very cool stuff!

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Currently working (slowly) on acquiring PCGS 64, 65, and 66 Indian cents, circulation strike and proof. There is a certain "look" that i prefer, and it's not always easy to find.

However I've always liked every US coin. If i can get a great deal on it, i'll collect it. :)

I've got some extra Dimes I'll sell ya.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I've got some extra Dimes I'll sell ya.

Yes, but I only like to pay wholesale or less prices on coins that i'm not specifically looking for at the time.

Your beautiful coins, even your doubles and such, deserve to be sold at top value.

My next coin collecting project will probably be those 1930's and 40's proof coins. I really like those proof Buffalo nickels but geez the prices are brutal.

@grote15 said:

@Darin said:
    stars showing.

Always loved the 75 Brett RC.

Grote- you didn't even mention you have one of the nicest 75 mini sets around. I like to visit the
    75 mini thread from time to time and look at the cards you guys post. Shame it isn't as active as
    it used to be. Great Brett rookie rack pack!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

What do I collect?

I’m all over the place, but “memories”, I guess.

Grew up military so never really had lifelong teams.

So my collecting habits spawned from my personal experiences whether it be specific player runs, movies, cartoons, sports I played, wax I opened or always wanted to, bands Ive seen or listened to growing up and of course cards from Dad and Grandpa’s stories.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two cards, a large and small Topps Mike Hargrove Rookie card.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

congratulations you stumbled upon the only collectible worse than a sports card :D

oh wait I always forget about autographed garbage

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

congratulations you stumbled upon the only collectible worse than a sports card :D

Well then I guess i shouldn't mention my stamp or comic book collection. LOL

Both have remained dormant for a long time since i was a kid, and will likely stay that way. A number of other things as well...records, Mad magazines, assorted cameras, etc. All that is dormant as well although once in a while i'll pick-up a vintage camera for cheap.

I never knock anyone's collecting interest. Collecting is cool. :)

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Nice stuff, I have lots of old magazines, Sporting News, etc., probably going to downsize soon. Thoughts on selling a large collection? Postage would be a pain and costly.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Both have remained dormant for a long time since i was a kid, and will likely stay that way. A number of other things as well...records, Mad magazines, assorted cameras, etc. All that is dormant as well although once in a while i'll pick-up a vintage camera for cheap.

I collected comics when I was wee little laddie, I never put them in baggies though and I read them so they can probably go right in the woodstove any day now.

I feel like a booth at an antique mall is the way to shift that stuff, ebay would be a disaster

I was a Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury Comic book guy as a lad

Well, I finally found the original Joe Louis fight films coupon. It us the original coupon that you mail in to get a copy of the Joe Louis fight films 8mm reel. I've been looking for it for some time. This has become an obsession. I need professional help.

@doubledragon said:
    Well, I finally found the original Joe Louis fight films coupon. It us the original coupon that you mail in to get a copy of the Joe Louis fight films 8mm reel. I've been looking for it for some time. This has become an obsession. I need professional help.

For 10K I will walk you thru it. ;)B)

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I collected comics when I was wee little laddie, I never put them in baggies though and I read them so they can probably go right in the woodstove any day now.

I feel like a booth at an antique mall is the way to shift that stuff, ebay would be a disaster

A yard sale might work. Put some other things out there ya no longer need.

@perkdog said:

I forget the names, but i have a number of those "GI Joe" type comic books.

Same scenario every time. They were basically in an impossible situation to survive against the Germans or Japanese, outnumbered and outgunned, but somehow thru sheer courage and bravery fought their way out of it and won the battle.

But i never got tired of reading it. LOL

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Same scenario every time. They were basically in an impossible situation to survive against the Germans or Japanese, outnumbered and outgunned, but somehow thru sheer courage and bravery fought their way out of it and won the battle.

Totally accurate statement! The written sound effects were awesome too “Rat Tat Tat Tat” “Kaboom” 😂

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Totally accurate statement! The written sound effects were awesome too “Rat Tat Tat Tat” “Kaboom” 😂

Great stuff. B)

I used to collect the miniature GI Joe figures, but I gave it up years ago. They are still very popular among toy collectors on Ebay. They even have toy grading companies that grade and slab them, just like cards, and coins. This little guy is going for $3,500 + shipping on Ebay. It is an original 1984 GI Joe. His name is Stormshadow. He is a cobra ninja.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Vintage, low-grade Dodgers and Rams, plus a few pre-1980s baseball and football sets.

@perkdog, since you mentioned 1952 Bowman Large, I don't suppose you have an extra, beat-to-hell, copy of #99, do you? It's the last card I need to complete my vintage Rams run.

@TNP777 said:
    Vintage, low-grade Dodgers and Rams, plus a few pre-1980s baseball and football sets.

@perkdog, since you mentioned 1952 Bowman Large, I don't suppose you have an extra, beat-to-hell, copy of #99, do you? It's the last card I need to complete my vintage Rams run.

Hi Geordie, I wish I could hook you up but I don’t have a Stydahar, that is an insanely tough card, one that I have a lot of regret over, I had a beautiful PSA 7 Large that I sold years ago before the NFL HOF Rookie set took off on the registry! I sold it for $800 now I could get around $1500+ for 😫. You can find the Small version for much cheaper, low grade ones are selling for hundreds though if you can find one. My plan is to try to find a raw one at a show sometime and try to get it in a flip. If I find a small one fairly cheap I will definitely pick it up and let you know 🍻

Thanks, Paul. I have the small set done. Just need that damn large Stydahar to finish.

See 'em all the time, but not for the price I want to pay. I'm talking 5% of "book" preferably.

edited November 26, 2019 12:41PM

@TNP777 said:
    Thanks, Paul. I have the small set done. Just need that damn large Stydahar to finish.

See 'em all the time, but not for the price I want to pay. I'm talking 5% of "book" preferably.

Glad you got the Small set done! That’s such a great set, as you know the Large is a bear to finish with that Stydahar!! I tried to talk to Deans cards, they have a low grade one on Ebay and they were selling it for $870, I called them to see if they could do better off eBay and they said they would not negotiate prices, funny thing is after the 30 day BIN expired they relisted it for over $900 lol.

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

For 5k I will run you thru if!

@doubledragon said:
    I used to collect the miniature GI Joe figures, but I gave it up years ago. They are still very popular among toy collectors on Ebay. They even have toy grading companies that grade and slab them, just like cards, and coins. This little guy is going for $3,500 + shipping on Ebay. It is an original 1984 GI Joe. His name is Stormshadow. He is a cobra ninja.

That’s just a white snake eyes. Now find me a mickey mouse cobra commander or boba fett shooting rocket! 😉

@artee said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

For 5k I will run you thru if!

@doubledragon said:
    I used to collect the miniature GI Joe figures, but I gave it up years ago. They are still very popular among toy collectors on Ebay. They even have toy grading companies that grade and slab them, just like cards, and coins. This little guy is going for $3,500 + shipping on Ebay. It is an original 1984 GI Joe. His name is Stormshadow. He is a cobra

That’s just a white snake eyes. Now find me a mickey mouse cobra commander or boba fett shooting rocket! 😉

Ah, I see you know your GI Joes. Here's one from Ebay, only $569.95 + $9.95 shipping. I always preferred the Zartan with swamp skier.

And knowing is half the battle! 😉

I actually do have a sealed joe aircraft carrier. found it in an antique store in florida about 6 years ago for $800.

The box is so freaking big and the last thing I needed to rearrange the entire car (several times over) on a blacktop parking lot during the summertime in florida but I couldnt pass on it.

The shop owner’s wife was more thrilled to see it go than the actual money.

Wonder what the grading fee would be on it?

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like low pop and rarer stuff, mostly, in the following categories - Yankees Rookies, Mickey Mantle, Yankees memorabilia, 1956 Topps, 1946 Propagandas Montiel (pictured below)

And of course, my namesake set. My babies below the only complete set in PSA slabs:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@perkdog

GREAT idea for a thread; I have been curious about this myself.

A few more pics, too, because pictures are fun!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited November 26, 2019 2:17PM

@artee said:
    I actually do have a sealed joe aircraft carrier. found it in an antique store in florida about 6 years ago for $800.

The box is so freaking big and the last thing I needed to rearrange the entire car (several times over) on a blacktop parking lot during the summertime in florida but I couldnt pass on it.

The shop owner’s wife was more thrilled to see it go than the actual money.

Wonder what the grading fee would be on it?

I would say you got a great deal. This sealed aircraft carrier is going for $5,950 + $450 shipping on Ebay right now. I don't think they make a slab big enough for it.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @perkdog

The B18 blankets are on my small list of sets I'm going to work on at some point - again, only the Brooklyn players. I've got a list typed up somewhere, and do own one of them.

Might as well add it while I'm thinking about it.

@TNP777 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @perkdog

The B18 blankets are on my small list of sets I'm going to work on at some point - again, only the Brooklyn players. I've got a list typed up somewhere, and do own one of them.

Might as well add it while I'm thinking about it.

When choosing a rookie for Stengel, my options were limited because the other cards have become somewhat cost prohibitive for me. This blanket wasn’t cheap but far less than the Sporting News or Old Judge.

And it’s a really cool vignette of baseball, cards and tobacco.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a very inactive card collector

I have all of the star player Topps baseball cards that I collected as a kid. I have stuff like 1961 and ’62 Roger Maris and Micky Mantle cards along with Mays, Kofax, Clemente and Musial.

I have a complete set of 1981 Topps cards because 1980 was year the Phillies won their first World Series ever (since 1883).

My first love is a set most collectors don’t like, a set of the 1961 Fleer Old Timers Cards. I got started on my studies of baseball history through them. The only one I needed to complete the set was #1, a G (rover) C (leveland) Alexander card, which I somehow never found when I was a kid. I bought it from a dealer for a nominal price.

I would have preferred to have collected the 1960 Fleer set because it shows the players in their natural backgrounds instead of colorized croppings on red, blue or yellow backgrounds. But I got started too late on those.

I have not bought a card for at least 15 years so you can’t call me “a collector.” Maybe I’m a “holder.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    I am a very inactive card collector

I have all of the star player Topps baseball cards that I collected as a kid. I have stuff like 1961 and ’62 Roger Maris and Micky Mantle cards along with Mays, Kofax, Clemente and Musial.

I have a complete set of 1981 Topps cards because 1980 was year the Phillies won their first World Series ever (since 1883).

My first love is a set most collectors don’t like, a set of the 1961 Fleer Old Timers Cards. I got started on my studies of baseball history through them. The only one I needed to complete the set was #1, a G (rover) C (leveland) Alexander card, which I somehow never found when I was a kid. I bought it from a dealer for a nominal price.

I would have preferred to have collected the 1960 Fleer set because it shows the players in their natural backgrounds instead of colorized croppings on red, blue or yellow backgrounds. But I got started too late on those.

I have not bought a card for at least 15 years so you can’t call me “a collector.” Maybe I’m a “holder.”

"Sorry" to inform you but you are a collector, whether you like it or not. :)