Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"They'll never do it" - PCGS/CAC Set Registry sets are live!

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    PCGS and CAC may as well merge

Then they will be grading their own grades.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

They clearly have access to the CAC database. I have a Toned Lincoln Wheat cent Registry Set and quite a few coins (more than I realized, in fact) had CAC stickers. Some I sent in, some I bought with green beans, but in every case when I started the new set, the PCGS software knew in advance which cents had CAC approval and which ones didn't. This must have involved some major coding ... At any rate, although our Toned Lincolns set is ranked #25, the Wheat Cents set-CAC (regardless of color) is currently top 2 of 3 sets, behind Dr. Duckor's #1 1909-1933 set, of which he writes that all are minimum MS65RD and CAC. Of course I will go down as other sets are created ... But I found the process to start the set pretty painless. Very interesting ... and definitely gonna change more than a few market dynamics in a lot of series.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm...I think someone needs to get access to those that have been to CAC and did not sticker. They can then offer a CAC Virgin sticker which means it has not been to CAC and then would be treated the same as a CAC'd in a registry if they are going to give a bonus point to a coin which is CAC'd.

You do realize that myself and I'm sure many others would ditch the registry sets if they start awarding CAC bonuses. I have better things to do with my money than spend it for someone to tell me I have a PCGS graded coin that is nice....and sometimes they are not with a bean!

@LJenkins11 said:
    I do like the move, seems logical given the market acceptance and high regard for CAC. Is CAC just one person's opinion?Sure is but so is the TPG. All that aside I would've preferred they simply add a weighted bonus in the already established set registry instead of having to create a whole new set entry. It's not a perfect solution, and I don't know what that would even entail but I like it. Having said all that I don't publish my sets and instead use the registry as an online way to inventory my collection but my OCD insisted I create all new CAC sets, sigh.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common truism - people resist change. :o

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2019 3:03PM

Delete.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 3:13PM

@Justacommeman

Hey I don’t blame you. Did I mention lots 140-209 are my complete CAC stickered shield and liberty nickels proofs with select Jefferson proofs also? Some are not only the finest nickels but the finest at PCGS the best grading company and that are also CACs finest??

BTW I’m bidding on some of your coins :)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shish said:
    I'm pleased that PCGS will give numismatists the option to list there PCGS CAC coins in their registry. This shows that the new management is open and willing to implement new ideas that enhance the registry.

Customers have always had this opportunity. I'm all for better coins being worth more and having a higher ranking regardless of the label grade (which is why I am opposed to the idea of registries generally as they fixate on labels and/or stickers in this case), but I cannot agree that all non-CAC coin in a higher grade should be treated as inferior to a CACed coin of a lower grade. In some cases the lower graded coin may be better, but not in all and not enough of the time that I would make such a broad generalization. The reality is that for many rare issues the top coin or coins may not sticker while lower graded coins may and the CAC failure isn't necessarily indicative of a problem coin (if you take JA at his word).

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    PCGS and CAC may as well merge

I said that on the first page! :#

You better not be buying up all the options. >:)

• Options

@Elliot said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Selfishly I’m all for this move.

ps I have 48 coins for sale in the current Legend Auction. 45 out of the 48 are PCGS CAC. Come and get them!

(Lots 1-48)

m

Good time to bail, I suppose.

Never know for sure. This could signal a BEAN DROUGHT ! :D

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 3:29PM

@MFeld said:
    Based on the pictures you posted, I have the opposite impression you do.
    @MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@MFeld said:

In addition to that, it sounds as if you still have the wrong impression about CAC's likes and standards.

@jmlanzaf said:

Based on the pictures you posted, I have the opposite impression you do. To me , the second coin looks to have better luster and eye-appeal. And yet contrary to what you say occurs, the sticker went to the crustier looking coin. Of course, if the pictures aren't representative of what the coins look like, our assessments of the coins are a moot point.

I think he got the wording with the wrong pics.....if I understand what he is saying.

You would think so, based on what he was saying. But according to the CAC registry, the pictures are labeled correctly. Proving what Mark and I have been saying: JA loves a little crust on his coins, apparently even gold.

Yes, I looked up the cert numbers before I posted what I did, because I thought perhaps the posted had gotten the wording/pictures mixed up.

This is a problem
    When you can't tell toning from luster on a TrueView.
    The average person will not encounter enough in-hand saints that are beaned in 65 or 66 to make an educated guess on what JA is looking for.
    Every series is different. I'm not presuming to know anything about Washington quarters for example.

• Options

@joebb21 said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Funny development. I just reviewed my inventory of duplicates today, and many were CAC coins. None of these CAC duplicates are in my registry sets.......because I have better examples that are not CAC.

Significantly, I find that PCGS would recognize CAC as a superior grading authority does nothing more than to degrade their brand. JA is a premier grader, but he still grades on a subjective (his) basis. His opinion of TPG grades provides value to the market, but PCGS should not in any way endorse a CAC rating.

I wonder if CAC stickers will have the same significance fifty years from now that they have today..

OINK

You miss a key point in grading. PCGS in theory is not allowed to be choosy when they grade coins. If technically a coin does meet the requirements for a specific grade, even if the grader hates the coin from an eye appeal or otherwise reason, he is supposed to give the coin the "deserving" grade. Further, even if the aesthetic appeal of the coin is so POOR that 99.9% of collectors will pass on such a coin, the graders must still grade the coin as the "deserving grade" and release it to the market.
    Coins with large scratches, old cleaning, or just terribly dark and ugly- many times such coins are still considered market acceptable and are thereby given the "deserving grade"

With CAC, JA gets to look at everyone of those coins coming through and be as selective as he wants- in order to say I like this coin enough that I will buy it at the current levels.

That is all very true, but I think you are throwing out the baby with the bath water and assuming that every non-CACed coin is dreck, ugly, over graded, or is otherwise a problem coin. That does not mesh with CAC's official position. On another note, you speak of coins with large scratches and "just terribly dark and ugly" coins needing to be weeded out. I have seen more than a few coins with prominent (to me) scratches and thick, crusty, sewer water colored toning that have stickered especially on early federal issues. In this sense, I'm not buying that CAC's judgment or blessing is any different than PCGS's. JA also doesn't claim to use eye appeal as an exclusion criterion (unlike Stuppler's PQ sticker) as long as the coin is solid or high end for the grade. JA absolutely does sticker ugly coins and is justified in doing so based on the published criteria. If he is using something different, then it is time to update the hobby.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Selfishly I’m all for this move.

ps I have 48 coins for sale in the current Legend Auction. 44 out of the 48 are PCGS CAC. Come and get them!

(Lots 1-48)

m

All of them are gorgeous and special pieces. I hope you do very well.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I'm all for better coins being worth more and having a higher ranking regardless of the label grade (which is why I am opposed to the idea of registries generally as they fixate on labels and/or stickers in this case), but I cannot agree that all non-CAC coin in a higher grade should be treated as inferior to a CACed coin of a lower grade. In some cases the lower graded coin may be better, but not in all and not enough of the time that I would make such a broad generalization. The reality is that for many rare issues the top coin or coins may not sticker while lower graded coins may and the CAC failure isn't necessarily indicative of a problem coin (if you take JA at his word).

While it's possible that someone(s) posted that all non-CAC'd coins in a higher grade are inferior to a CAC'd coin in a lower grade, I believe that assumption is NOT believed by most all supporters of CAC (especially myself). However, as a GENERALIZATION, I think most CAC supporters believe that for two coins with the SAME grade, the CAC'd coin is more desirable most of the time. Obviously, there are plenty of exceptions.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might very well have kept the seated dollar set if this had been in place a few years ago...

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone here logically say what the added value is for PCGS to create a registry for only CAC coins?
    Will there be hi resolution images available for coins in these sets not hidden, as a lot are now in coin facts? If not, then how will us dreck collectors know the difference in quality?
    It really wasn't that long ago that every thread started pertaining to CAC was quickly deleted around here.

• Options

@winesteven said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    I'm all for better coins being worth more and having a higher ranking regardless of the label grade (which is why I am opposed to the idea of registries generally as they fixate on labels and/or stickers in this case), but I cannot agree that all non-CAC coin in a higher grade should be treated as inferior to a CACed coin of a lower grade. In some cases the lower graded coin may be better, but not in all and not enough of the time that I would make such a broad generalization. The reality is that for many rare issues the top coin or coins may not sticker while lower graded coins may and the CAC failure isn't necessarily indicative of a problem coin (if you take JA at his word).

While it's possible that someone(s) posted that all non-CAC'd coins in a higher grade are inferior to a CAC'd coin in a lower grade, I believe that assumption is NOT believed by most all supporters of CAC (especially myself). However, as a GENERALIZATION, I think most CAC supporters believe that for two coins with the SAME grade, the CAC'd coin is more desirable most of the time. Obviously, there are plenty of exceptions.

I'm actually happy to hear this, and I wish more were like you. (I am not anti-CAC either and appreciate their service). My concern is for the issues where the highest CACed coin may be a grade interval or more below the top pop in the census. It will create bizarre situations.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't read the pages before my post BUT..... I do like this as I have forgotten some of my CAC coins in My Inventory and it adds them by themselves..... :#

• Options
    edited November 26, 2019 6:37PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    This will put a drag on grade inflation and emphasize quality for the grade coins. To that extent, it’s good

A condition beans are mostly gone...They've been cracked & upgraded.
    What's left are a few nice B coins w/ stickers, if you can find them.
    The vast majority are C condition coins that JA bumped up for his idea of eye-appeal.
    So much for stopping grade-flation.
    I arrived too late for the bean grab.... :/ AND... the OGH grab :/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 7:05PM

@ReadyFireAim said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    This will put a drag on grade inflation and emphasize quality for the grade coins. To that extent, it’s good

A condition beans are mostly gone...They've been cracked & upgraded.
    What's left are a few nice B coins w/ stickers, if you can find them.
    The vast majority are C condition coins that JA bumped up for his idea of eye-appeal.
    So much for stopping grade-flation.
    I arrived too late for the bean grab.... :/ AND... the OGH grab :/

Based on the posts and experience of the above two posters, I think I’ll go with Bruce’s take on things.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall correctly, a CAC endorsement is only a confirmation of the grade assigned by a TPGS. There should never be an assumption that a CAC endorsement is an override of the TPGS assigned grade, and rather it is a confirmation of the quality of the TPG grade.

After sleeping on this issue, I think that PCGS is well stated in including CAC rated coins in their set registries. Importantly, they have isolated PCGS plus CAC based collections from PCGS only based collections. CAC does provide a definition for many collectors above the level described as "dreck" , but coins that have never been submitted to CAC cannot be assumed to be "dreck".

CAC is not only a grading standard, it is much more a marketing tool used to add credibility to existing TPG grading standards. I am holding my breath waiting for a green bean on my PR70DCAM Lincoln proofs.

OINK

• Options

Seems like NGC loses, unless they cut a similar deal. One possibility would have been a CAC Registry, which includes both services. Hopefully PCGS will be more wiling to cross NGC CAC coins.

• Options

@Coinobsessed said:
    Seems like NGC loses, unless they cut a similar deal. One possibility would have been a CAC Registry, which includes both services. Hopefully PCGS will be more wiling to cross NGC CAC coins.

That ship sailed long ago which is a shame as competition is healthy and beneficial for consumers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    If I recall correctly, a CAC endorsement is only a confirmation of the grade assigned by a TPGS. There should never be an assumption that a CAC endorsement is an override of the TPGS assigned grade, and rather it is a confirmation of the quality of the TPG grade.

After sleeping on this issue, I think that PCGS is well stated in including CAC rated coins in their set registries. Importantly, they have isolated PCGS plus CAC based collections from PCGS only based collections. CAC does provide a definition for many collectors above the level described as "dreck" , but coins that have never been submitted to CAC cannot be assumed to be "dreck".

CAC is not only a grading standard, it is much more a marketing tool used to add credibility to existing TPG grading standards. I am holding my breath waiting for a green bean on my PR70DCAM Lincoln proofs.

OINK

Why can't dreck have a CAC sticker? Someone had a P1 CAC shown in a thread on this forum. CAC just means solid for the grade. If the grade is low but reasonable, isn't it still dreck?

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    If you don’t have connections, you rarely see them for sale...
    Because they are in demand and sell privately for prices most collectors won’t pay and don’t understand.

Secret dealer meetings where opportunities exist for special people to make their dreams come true?

Yipes!...I just had an AMWAY flashback :D

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any plans for early gold to have some CAC sets? This is a challenging/rewarding area to have CAC approved examples.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    The vast majority of A quality CAC coins are in private collections. If you don’t have connections, you rarely see them for sale except in a named auction. Where you shake your head at the price realized Why? Because they are in demand and sell privately for prices most collectors won’t pay and don’t understand

I was thinking of forming a private collection but don't know how to go about it. :s

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    Any plans for early gold to have some CAC sets? This is a challenging/rewarding area to have CAC approved examples.

I noticed that while PCGS has set up "tons" of PCGS/CAC Composite sets, there's potentially a lot more that can be done. I've set up about six so far for myself, with potentially another 15 - 20 that I'd like to do. Perhaps over time they'll set up more?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    The vast majority of A quality CAC coins are in private collections. If you don’t have connections, you rarely see them for sale except in a named auction. Where you shake your head at the price realized Why? Because they are in demand and sell privately for prices most collectors won’t pay and don’t understand

I was thinking of forming a private collection but don't know how to go about it. :s

You need access to the super secret handshake, but its secret. :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the "My Inventory" page a new column has been added. There is now a column called "Stickers" for CAC.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Can anyone here logically say what the added value is for PCGS to create a registry for only CAC coins?

If you look at it as preemptively heading off a major combined Pcgs/Ngc CAC Registry then it certainly makes sense from a business standpoint

Exactly

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

If you look at it as preemptively heading off a major combined Pcgs/Ngc CAC Registry then it certainly makes sense from a business standpoint

Maybe if PCGS offers a service where if your NGC CAC coin crosses at same grade or better then PCGS will have CAC "rebean" at no additional cost to the consumer.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

If an NGC CAC coin crosses to PCGS at the same grade, CAC will resticker
    the coin for 3 dollars . And you want PCGS to do it for FREE ?

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019 2:46PM

@TommyType said:
    ...unless they see a benefit from cutting off a CAC run registry before it starts?

Kind of what I'm thinking. Either that or beating NGC to the punch.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

in 20 years our slabs will be decorated with as many decals as a NASCAR vehicle

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    If an NGC CAC coin crosses to PCGS at the same grade, CAC will resticker
    the coin for 3 dollars . And you want PCGS to do it for FREE ?

First of all, welcome. Secondly, this is incorrect - you have to pay the standard rate for the newly graded coin in the different slab. Thirdly, our hosts run quarterly specials all the time, so ideas like that are not totally crazy.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts about plus coins that don't sticker?
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Different animal. If a plus graded coin lacks either strike, luster or originality, then it likely won't sticker.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Different animal. If a plus graded coin lacks either strike, luster or originality, then it likely won't sticker.

So why did it earn a plus?
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

@Walkerfan said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

So why did it earn a plus?
    Lance.

Could have had just one of these qualities but not all. I'm guessing.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

4 pages and nothing from the Colonel or Insider?
    Makes me wonder?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2019 12:53AM

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    4 pages and nothing from the Colonel or Insider?
    Makes me wonder?

The Colonel is on a self-imposed hiatus.

Paging Insider. Insider to the CAC room. Paging @Insider2

• Options
    shishshish Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, if I count correctly four members account for 42 posts in this thread. Let's just say they are not CAC lovers. Joining CAC and speaking with JA has made me a better grader, and for that I am very grateful.

Liberty Seated and Trade Dollar Specialist
This discussion has been closed.