Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Tragedy: the 1850 Double Eagle Frankencoin

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of you probably already saw this video when it was released back in 2016, but below is the video of the 1850 NGC MS64 PL double eagle that was “improved” by its hapless owner. Hard to watch. Eesh...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mk0F_sQY-kM

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had seen that before, glad you shared. What some people will do thinking they can improve a coin.

Ken
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's an unreal story. And an expensive lesson

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic example of "More money than brains" :/

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks so shiny and proof like... look at those mirrors. I wonder if he sent the label back to help adjust the top pops.

I wonder why he decided to ditch it after his "improvement". Must have thought he could have made some money on his doctoring skills. Any idea what it actually sold for?

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

$650,000 worth of palladium ingots at today’s Prices too, double ouch.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unreal.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

😢😢

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it makes the other extant coins more valuable..... that’s the only upside I can see.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 1:33PM

I’ve seen this video before and it makes me cringe every time.

Besides the stupidity and the money lost, a national treasure has also been permanently destroyed.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

Besides the stupidity and the money lost, a national treasure has also been permanently destroyed.

And we will all share in subsidizing the six figure tax loss!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@Walkerfan said:

Grrrr!! :#

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a truly sad story that Julian told...And it lost the owner a small fortune....Doing something like that to a coin, after strong advice from experts, is just stupidity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I missed it but what did it bring at auction?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

Probably not - my guess is he wasn't a dealer but a collector. He can use the loss to wipe out gains in future years, but collectors cannot take the $3000 loss each year that is available with with stocks. Even if he could, that is 33 years worth of write offs, which would net him $750ish per year...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

I also want to know. We need to hear the end of the story.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@PerryHall said:

I also want to know. We need to hear the end of the story.

I’d be curious to know as well, but it isn’t mentioned in the video. It was probably purchased by “the dokter” and then sold on eBay for a small fortune as a “proof”.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2019 2:59PM

I think it fetched just under $10K IIRC.

Definitely somewhere between 5 and 10K.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you suppose NGC refused to slab it as genuine? Could the polishing damage have been so severe that NGC couldn't be sure it was even authentic?

Surely it would sell for more in a genuine holder than raw.
    Lance.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 3:35PM

ouch

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Why do you suppose NGC refused to slab it as genuine? Could the polishing damage have been so severe that NGC couldn't be sure it was even authentic?

That's what I was wondering.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

That video always makes me cry a little bit on the inside. As for the price, CoinWeek posted in the comments that it sold for $6,600 at auction.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the Pop of 1850 double eagles just declined, at least officially. Perhaps the owner of the coin was also a car guy where restoration is not only expected but admired and rewarded. Coins that are over 150 years old are expected to have some crust and some color. But no dings and scratches.

I wonder if Julian spent way more time with this collector than he will ever realize for the value of his time.

OINK

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Makes me wanna slap the guy that did this!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2019 3:10PM

Around 10-15 years ago I had an older customer that was building an extensive world type set. He would tell me he would clean them up so he could see the design better. I preached and preached and preached to him not to do that. He was buying many better expensive coins as well.

I sold him a nice XF-AU Thailand Copper 4Att(Nice tough big coin) and pleaded with him not to mess with it. Around a year later I was talking with a guy that specialized in Thai stuff and he was willing to offer between 5 + 10 times what I sold the coin for. The next show I saw him at I mentioned it to him but he didn't want to sell. A couple years later he showed up at a show and was wanting to sell his collection.

All I could say was OUCH! He had whizzed and Polished the crap out of almost every coin he had. The Thai piece was hideous. :s I would wager he literally lost somewhere in the high 5 to 6 figures on his collection.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

All these stories are making me depressed :'(

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one "improve" a 64PL?

...and... what was bid/ask on Palladium in 2004?!!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez...looks like one of those twenty dollar tribute coins. Not sure I'd even pay melt for that thing. :s

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early 1960's my father had a small electric motor with an attached buffer.

I was able to polish some circulating coins then but didn't lose any money as I could still spend them.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Around 10-15 years ago I had an older customer that was building an extensive world type set. He would tell me he would clean them up so he could see the design better. I preached and preached and preached to him not to do that. He was buying many better expensive coins as well.

I sold him a nice XF-AU Thailand Copper 4Att(Nice tough big coin) and pleaded with him not to mess with it. Around a year later I was talking with a guy that specialized in Thai stuff and he was willing to offer between 5 + 10 times what I sold the coin for. The next show I saw him at I mentioned it to him but he didn't want to sell. A couple years later he showed up at a show and was wanting to sell his collection.

All I could say was OUCH! He had whizzed and Polished the crap out of almost every coin he had. The Thai piece was hideous. :s I would wager he literally lost somewhere in the high 5 to 6 figures on his collection.

Any idea of what they were thinking?

Was it that they had so much money they knew but did not care if the value was ruined or did they just refuse to believe what they were doing would actually ruin the value?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe me I tried everything I could think of to try and stop him! When we 1st started doing business he was probably in his mid 70's. He was doing what he wanted to do to the coins to make them more enjoyable for him. I would assume money wasn't an issue for him. He had to be in his ealry 80's when he started selling. He took a small table at a small local show....which was when I saw 1st hand just how bad he had ruined so many coins. :(

@WinLoseWin said:

@amwldcoin said:

Any idea of what they were thinking?

Was it that they had so much money they knew but did not care if the value was ruined or did they just refuse to believe what they were doing would actually ruin the value?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tragedy or Comedy? There is probably some kind of high-falutin' and esoteric Loss to the Hobby, or possible Loss to Posterity, but as to the financial Loss to the individual who intentionally mutilated their rare or scarce coins, who cares? It's humorous, frankly. Not personal to me in any way, shape or form.

We had a fellow who liked to put Large Cents in a rock tumbler. Some were nice before that, some were not. They were all reduced to dreck after. He died with the coins in his possession, but his poor widow was moderately surprised.

What you do with your coins is your business, but nobody but nobody is obliged to do any bailouts.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is someone will do this or buy a coin like this expecting $$$.

If they pass it on to heirs then there is no loss to be realized by the deceased.

But, if still alive, then there will be a lot of disappointment and hopefully nothing was bought as an expectation for retirement $.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2019 10:35AM

I remember a thread a couple of years ago where a forum member had a SEGS graded proof 1850 double eagle that looks a lot like this coin. Anyone else remember that thread?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS graded proof 1950 double eagle

?????

• Options

@topstuf said:
    SEGS graded proof 1950 double eagle

?????

Typo. Thanks. I fixed it.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good. Now I'm relieved. ;)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2019 7:14PM

Many, many moons ago, I bought a $1 gold piece just like that.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my gosh!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2019 10:54PM

@PerryHall said:
    I remember a thread a couple of years ago where a forum member had a SEGS graded proof 1850 double eagle that looks a lot like this coin. Anyone else remember that thread?

Yes, @northcoin has discussed his 1850 SEGS PR-62 several times.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/993882/1850-proof-double-eagle-inquiry (2018)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/445168/coinfacts-1850-double-liberty-proof-photo-up-now (2005)

The obverse of his coin looks somewhat polished, but the reverse is not so bad.
    It's not the same coin as the 1850 in the 2016 Julian Leidman video above.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember back in the 1970's a rather odd fellow came to the local coin shop every now and then. He would buy an Unc. odd ball coin ( Two Cent , Three Cent, Half Dime, etc. ) and put them loose in his pocket. A few weeks later he would come back to the shop and sell it back to them. He always lost a lot each time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file