Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To cross or not to cross....

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I have 2 coins I am conflicted on. The first is a lovely barber half in a Fatty. I like the old holders, I do and believe in preserving them when possible. But with the exception of this one, all of my halves are in PCGS holders and I like consistency as much as I like the old Fatty's.

The second is a half dime in the NGC Newman holder with the special label. Is this worth keeping if I can get the pedigree on a PCGS slab? I don't think so but.....

So how would you approach these 2? Special holders both - would you cross and not worry about these classic holders assuming crossing at grade?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 8:09PM

Just My Humble Opinion....I think your Barber Half will end up in a 55 holder with a long shot at 53. Keep the Pedigree on the Half Dime!

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old NGC fatty holders so I’d keep that one the way it is. I don’t have the same love for a pedigree as most other collectors do. So I wouldn’t mind crossing the half dime. Both coins are fricken awesome!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my collection is in PCGS plastic, but I bought every single one of them that way (except for a handful I purchased raw). I have previously owned coins in NGC holders (including fatties), but sold all of them the way they came. The few I had left I dumped when NGC effectively kicked me out of their registry. I played the crossover game once or twice - just enough to know it wasn’t a game for me.

I’m sure I’ve passed over a ton of perfectly wonderful coins this way..... but at least my OCD is under control. ;)

So, to answer your question, I’d leave them as-is, or sell them as-is and look for others. Really though there isn’t a right answer and it depends on if you’re in the registry game, collecting slabs, collecting coins, or just buying stuff.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could cross the pedigree, I would cross it at grade in a heart bit. Ditto for the old no line fatty.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    The second is a half dime in the NGC Newman holder with the special label. Is this worth keeping if I can get the pedigree on a PCGS slab? I don't think so but.....

Also keep in mind that you'd get the special label back. As long as PCGS keeps the pedigree, I don't see much downside. I guess I am in the minority here.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep the Barber half in the old NGC holder and would be surprised if the half-dime crossed at grade.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

nope I wouldn't cross, its fine the way it is.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave them alone.
    Lance.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would attempt the cross of the half at 58 minimum and leave the other alone. I understand your desire for appearance consistency with your barber set. If it won’t cross at grade, I’d look for a pcgs replacement and sell the fatty.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t. Doesn’t seem like the cross over would be a value add.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Leave them alone.
    Lance.

+1

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

No need to cross either coin.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not....
    NGC or PCGS slabs are both fine for me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep them as is and get help for your OCD... ;):D Seriously, I would keep them as is.... different holders do not bother me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@TomB said:
    I'd keep the Barber half in the old NGC holder and would be surprised if the half-dime crossed at grade.

But it stickered... >:)

• Options

Is there really that much of a premium and nostalgia for old no line fatties?

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Looks like most would not cross so that gives me pause... I think the no line Fatty stays for sure, still not sure about the half dime tho'.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should do what you want to do. If you like PCGS holders better and the cost is not an issue, then go for it.

And for what it is worth, it is possible to keep the pedigree - I have done it on a few CBH's.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

You can cross the pedigree which I would definitely keep - but why cross them? Keep them as they are. If your are competing for a top spot in the registry - then maybe, but I'd still be hard pressed to do it.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could get an old pcgs slab and glue the front to anything.
    Or you could leave them be which is what I'd do.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 8:33AM

The slab doesn't matter to me, if it's NGC or PCGS. Maybe if I had a complete set except for a few, I'd cross them. If I did, I'd probably specify to cross only at current grade. You'd think with green CAC stickers they would.

Personally I'd run these two through the PCGS Restoration service if they were mine.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave them as is. There seems to be some downside risk in crossing them over as well as more expense.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep the fatty and cross the Newman with provenance

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I makes a difference when you go to sell, the I would cross.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the fatty @spacehayduke <3 and cross the provenance'd Newman just for the curiosity IMHO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you'd loose money on the Barber outside the Fatty.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would let them be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file