Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Remembering Coin Shows from the early 90s.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to so love attending the Long Beach coin show, mostly back in the 1990s. I have fond memories of the various dealers there. For example, one dealer specialized in nothing but early copper and each raw copper coin was placed gently on top of the little manilla envelope with a detail description of it. There was another dealer who specialized in really nothing but Standing Liberty quarters. He wore a large top hat and I believe he had a mischievous mustache! So many lustrous silver quarters in his cases.
There was also a dealer who had tons of PCGS slabbed and graded proof Kennedy half dollars. It was through him I learned how difficult it was to locate a 1971-S Kennedy with deep frost- worthy of the DCAM notation. He offered a sort of club membership you could purchase and this allowed you to purchase PR67DCAM or PR68DCAM modern Kennedy clad PCGS proof half dollars. It was an interesting concept.
Does anyone wish to share their memories of coins shows from the past? I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't go to shows but
    I remember my mother taking me as a child to the BayState Show at the Statler Hotel in Boston around 1970 or so.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dealer in Standing Liberty Quarters was Jay Cline and I’m guessing that Jim McGuigan is the (early) copper dealer you spoke of.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Sadly I don't believe Mr. Cline is with us anymore. Such a tremendous loss.

peacockcoins

• Options

It wasn't often, but when JJTeaparty set up at a show it was always five collectors deep.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I used to so love attending the Long Beach coin show, mostly back in the 1990s. I have fond memories of the various dealers there. For example, one dealer specialized in nothing but early copper and each raw copper coin was placed gently on top of the little manilla envelope with a detail description of it. There was another dealer who specialized in really nothing but Standing Liberty quarters. He wore a large top hat and I believe he had a mischievous mustache! So many lustrous silver quarters in his cases.
    There was also a dealer who had tons of PCGS slabbed and graded proof Kennedy half dollars. It was through him I learned how difficult it was to locate a 1971-S Kennedy with deep frost- worthy of the DCAM notation. He offered a sort of club membership you could purchase and this allowed you to purchase PR67DCAM or PR68DCAM modern Kennedy clad PCGS proof half dollars. It was an interesting concept.
    Does anyone wish to share their memories of coins shows from the past? I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today.

The early copper man might have been Tom Reynolds.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    17751775 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Three times a year and ANA Helen and Don Carmody were the most pleasant people to both deal with and just talk with.
    the Commem market was truly a collectors area.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

I headed out to a Long Beach show once and made it only half way before having to fly back home. I went to a lot of the Milwaukee shows in those days.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

You hit a nerve . . . . . . .

Naw . . .I wasn't bigtime . . . I never went to a large show during those years. That was like deigning to date Kate Upton at my level. BUT . . the local shows. Now we are TALKING!

I would carry 2-3 Danscos . . . my 7070, and usually the Lincoln set. I arrived early at every show in a veritable froth . . . . . usually with only a couple C-notes to spend, but a discriminating palate that made me look like I was rating Peter Luger's Steakhouse! Have loupe . . . . . . . will travel!

I'd buy a couple early Lincolns in AU from Bob White (Portland) . . . cruise looking for anything toned form the Dansco, and in general just be a shark hoping to use limited knowledge to pounce on a good coin or two. In these times . . .you could satiate the palate with a few bullseye Jeffs for .50c each . . . . now of course if you can find them they are $30. I was able to get a few coins in that 7070 that were appealing, and in time the 7070 became a dealer observation point. Everyone wanted to know how the book was going. In time . .that 7070 became one of the all-time albums in the West.

Nothing like having $250 only . . . and having to judiciously fill holes with coins you are proud to own . . . . . best way to develop an "eye".

Oh . . . . . those days . . . . . .simply the highlight of my life.

Drunner

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost 40 years ago, when I was a senior in HS, a buddy and I skipped school on a Friday and drove over the mountain ridge to a PAN show in my 1969 Triumph Spitfire (It had a heck of a time pulling the hills). I remember meeting Art Kagin, who took time to talk and give us advice on how to get into the coin business. I knew he was a big time dealer after seeing his ads in Coin World and NN and was impressed that he took the time to talk to a couple kids.

The coin dealer dream died when I went to college, but I still remember the great time we had.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 5:22PM

I miss the local shows the most. It wasn’t uncommon to have a good sized show quarterly in the Seattle area. I’m talking 25-40 dealers. I picked up a lot of nice material in those days...nothing beats holding a coin in your hand while deciding on a potential purchase. Of course, the Internet changed all of this. No going back. While the Internet greatly changed the landscape, it also vastly improved the available of great coins. Pros and cons on both sides I suppose.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 6:36PM

@braddick said:
    It wasn't often, but when JJTeaparty set up at a show it was always five collectors deep.

Went to a show in Dearborn, probably the mid 80's. The late Leon Hendrickson's SilverTowne table was like that. I never saw such a cluster of activity.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t remember shows from the early 90’s..........I’m a teen! :D

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I remember these shows as amazing buying opportunities. With raw coins everywhere, and stacks of double row boxes....yes, the good old days if you knew how to trade.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art Kagin, Leon Hendrickson and Leon's brother (the National banker) were always super friendly and fine gentlemen, even when busy. Not fake friendly, the real deal. And I was just a wet behind the ears kiddo.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The copper dealer might have been Jack Beymer (sp?).

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have fond memories of re-entering collecting then when I finally had some disposable income.....the Westchester WESPNEX shows were held either upstairs or downstairs in the White Plains county center.

There were lots of really nice coins but even then there was a premium for super nice slabbed coins....I recall some amazing bust quarters and 1795 halves in OGH slabs.....all way over "sheet". But early type prices in general had been stagnant for years.

Many of the raw coins were overgraded or AT and underpriced for the grade, making you feel there were "bargains" to be had if you were not an informed buyer.

I always enjoyed buying color commems and type at no premium from the late Chip Gambino who was a true gentleman and also had a coin shop in Croton NY

After hours of pouring over coins, I once came away with a rose-colored Cleveland in PCGS65, and it was a treasure to be added to my growing set of commems. Much of the novelty and excitement of that time is hard to reproduce today

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 8:23AM

The first show I setup at was Greater Houston in 1990 at the Adams Mark Hotel a high end place for a show. This was slightly after the 89 crash.

Many of the dealers present then I still see at shows and others have passed. There is no retirement from the coin business. Sometimes I will be ticked after a bad show / high table fee but I recover and get back in the fray.

That would have been the era to load up on gold close to melt and quality large size currency. US coins with few exceptions constant downside trend during that decade (and beyond - PCGS 3000). I acquired a taste for world gold, Irish, and Vatican Coinage and made friends with players in those areas.

Lately I have been amazed at the scarcity of Mexico silver 19th century 50 centavos due to a phone call from a friend who has one he wants to slab. A fellow on another forum had a complete slabbed collection of Mexico Gold 50 Pesos, something I had always dreamed about. Do you know how tough quality ones are to find?

My 2 purchases off the bay this week an n scale 60’ New Haven passenger combine car for my layout $45 and a PCGS 70 2019 Mexico silver Onza 1 oz for $44. A 1941 PCGS 65 WLH sold for $95 this week from my online store so that leaves me $6 for a burger.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypicking for doubled dies and other varieties was easy.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected as a YN in the 1960's and 1970's. Never went to a coin show. Shopped at LCS and collected from circulation.

Got back into the hobby as an adult in 1998 when I stopped by a coin show on a Saturday just to check it out. The collecting bug that had been dormant woke up and bit me hard that day. Since then I go to shows 2-3 times per year. Always a fun way to spend some leisure time and hobby money.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early 1990s, Long Beach had much more energy than it does today. People were selling stuff in the aisles, not just behind the tables. I met Bill Noyes, and bought two of his books on Large Cents, both of which he signed.

I also met Walter Breen, and personally bought his Coin Encyclopedia. He looked like a Berkeley hippie circa 1969. He was very enthusiastic about coins, any and all of them, and if he wasn't with a customer, was happy to speak with you about them. I didn't know the rest of the story at the time.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@braddick said:

The early copper man might have been Tom Reynolds.

Or perhaps Doug Bird?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only went to small, local coin shows in Phoenix, Houston, West Palm Beach in the late 70's and 80's...in the early 90's I went to shows in the Seattle and Renton area....I liked the small shows...wish they had some here...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Cherrypicking for doubled dies and other varieties was easy.

Wasn't it though?
    I think I was one of the very few in my area who was even looking for them.
    Every coin show was waiting to be pillaged.
    Fun times.
    I had a ready buyer of any proof Jefferson Nickel that had any kind if doubling, however minor.
    Buy 1964 Jeff for 25c, sell for $5.
    I could find literally rolls of them at a decent show.
    Not to mention all the other stuff.
    The bigger stuff.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

The first show I setup at was Greater Houston in 1990 at the Adams Mark Hotel a high end place for a show. This was slightly after the 89 crash.

Many of the dealers present then I still see at shows and others have passed. There is no retirement from the coin business. Sometimes I will be ticked after a bad show / high table fee but I recover and get back in the fray.

That would have been the era to load up on gold close to melt and quality large size currency. US coins with few exceptions constant downside trend during that decade (and beyond - PCGS 3000). I acquired a taste for world gold, Irish, and Vatican Coinage and made friends with players in those areas.

Lately I have been amazed at the scarcity of Mexico silver 19th century 50 centavos due to a phone call from a friend who has one he wants to slab. A fellow on another forum had a complete slabbed collection of Mexico Gold 50 Pesos, something I had always dreamed about. Do you know how tough quality ones are to find?

My 2 purchases off the bay this week an n scale 60’ New Haven passenger combine car for my layout $45 and a PCGS 70 2019 Mexico silver Onza 1 oz for $44. A 1941 PCGS 65 WLH sold for $95 this week from my online store so that leaves me $6 for a burger.

I remember going to the money show at the adams mark.One dealer was trying to sell a group of 100 64 morgans graded by our host. If memory serves the price was 12k.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick respective from North of the border................

All I remember from coin shows in the 1970's is you couldn't find a toned coin in the whole place as every dealer had a jar of coin dip at the ready.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file