Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to protect against eBay Buyer (possible) Scammer?

engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited December 22, 2019 5:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I listed and sold my 2019 Reverse Proof Eagle today and the buyer is someone with zero feedback from Slovokia who signed up just today. Of course could be legit but my spidey sense is tingling. Is there anything I can do to protect against a claim of an empty box? What do sellers of high value coin ($100k+) do to protect themselves. In my experience eBay reflexively sides with the buyer so I am nervous but don't want to cancel the sale as he will leave negative feedback.

Comments

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 4:35PM

First it’s not a high value coin. You paid $70.00. Now has he paid first? Usually through Pay Pal. I always transfer the money out of Pay Pal to my Credit Union. I keep a Zero Pay Pal balance . No money for Pay Pal to SIEZE.
    Once he pays your fine unless you agreed to send it overseas. I never send anything over seas . But if it’s in America you send it with Signature Confirmation. You should be fine.

If he tries to scam you you will just have to go through the process of the Investigation.
    On my High dollar coins where so really paid over a $1000.00 I send everything via Fed Ex 2 day overnight delivery with a Signature Confirmation. I never had a problem. Good luck.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    First it’s not a high value coin. You paid $70.00.

"High value" may be subjective, but it isn't dependent on what someone paid.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    First it’s not a high value coin. You paid $70.00. Now has he paid first? Usually through Pay Pal. I always transfer the money out of Pay Pal to my Credit Union. I keep a Zero Pay Pal balance . No money for Pay Pal to SIEZE.
    Once he pays your fine unless you agreed to send it overseas. I never send anything over seas . But if it’s in America you send it with Signature Confirmation. You should be fine.

If he tries to scam you you will just have to go through the process of the Investigation.
    On my High dollar coins where so really paid over a $1000.00 I send everything via Fed Ex 2 day overnight delivery with a Signature Confirmation. I never had a problem. Good luck.

Will signature confirmation guard against a claim that it was an empty box?
    And eBay probably has other ways of clawing back money I would think.

Can I really just not send the coin and cancel auction - wont I get negative feedback. I didnt list global shipping, but eBay uses their Kentucky global address to forward it.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@engmtic said:

@Gluggo said:

Can I really just not send the coin and cancel auction - wont I get negative feedback. I didnt list global shipping, but eBay uses their Kentucky global address to forward it.

You will have to spend the $35 to send it Express mail.

If you cancel the sale, you will still be out $21 in paypal fees.

With as much as $100 in ebay/Paypal fees and $35 in shipping, it would have been easier to sell it for $500 to one of the dealer offers.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send buyer a polite message: "I'm sorry but you are in a country that I do not ship to, please cancel your purchase"
    Maybe you can get them to cancel the sale rather than you doing it. If they cancel they will not be able to leave feedback or ebay would remove it. Might work????

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you made a honest mistake so it’s not a problem to cancel. Most people overseas understand. I will say once I did send some of the Trump / Kim coins I bought from the White House Gift Shop I lost a coin that went to 🇬🇧 Britain through Ebays program.
    I was lucky enough to have a honest Ebay buyer who eventually paid me as the lost package was eventually delivered. It’s a long story but It all worked out and everybody was happy.

But generally NO OVERSEAS SALES . I would also have no problem cancelling a sale and explaining to the buyer it was a honest mistake. Hope it works for you.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@engmtic said:

@Gluggo said:

Is the address to send to the global shipping center in Kentucky or is it an address in Slovakia?

If it’s Kentucky, you should probably be fine. At the very least, it is a much smoother process for you than shipping directly to an international destination.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@engmtic said:
    I didnt list global shipping, but eBay uses their Kentucky global address to forward it.

You submitted a listing for US only shipping and eBay changed it to global?

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sent jewelry through ebays global shipping program. I called them several times about it and one thing that they told me is that the seller is protected from negative feedback when shipped through global shipping program because of possible late delivery’s. I think you should be OK

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 6:02PM

@Bullsitter said:
    U.S.A. only for me, so sorry.

That's the bottom line for me. All non U.S. bidders are blocked. I'm not selling anything worth the trouble.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:
    I didnt list global shipping, but eBay uses their Kentucky global address to forward it.

I see that I left the "Sell internationally with the Global Shipping Program. Just send it to the US shipping center when your item sells." Box checked.
    Lesson learnt. Will uncheck in future. Im kind of mystified at the choice of a random slovakian scammer though - why this coin?
    I sent him an email asking him to cancel. If not I will send and hope for the best. I have more of these to sell so I do not want to jeopardize my feedback. I guess I will opt for insurance though

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

I see that I left the "Sell internationally with the Global Shipping Program. Just send it to the US shipping center when your item sells." Box checked.
    Lesson learnt. Will uncheck in future. Im kind of mystified at the choice of a random slovakian scammer though - why this coin?
    I sent him an email asking him to cancel. If not I will send and hope for the best. I have more of these to sell so I do not want to jeopardize my feedback. I guess I will opt for insurance though

Insurance isn’t gonna help when it shows delivered. They only payout when the package is lost in tracking.

@Kliao said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

Insurance isn’t gonna help when it shows delivered. They only payout when the package is lost in tracking.

so how do high value sellers protect against empty box claims. I see tons of $5k+ coins for sale. Surely there's some method of protection?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 6:20PM

My radar is going off. In the future I’d limit shipping to U.S. addresses only. Lots of scammers here as well, but it helps a bit. In this case, once he pays, transfer the money out of your PayPal account, ship the coin, and hope for the best.

Hope all goes well!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@engmtic said:

@Kliao said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

so how do high value sellers protect against empty box claims. I see tons of $5k+ coins for sale. Surely there's some method of protection?

I really have no idea. Try videotaping your self packaging the coin for a bit of proof just incase.

Also if you do put insurance on the package the insurance only goes until it reaches ebays facility the package shows delivered when it reaches eBay. After it reaches ebays facility, eBay slaps another shipping label for global shipping.

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

With all due respect, how do you know it is a scammer?

I have sold numerous coins overseas to people with single digit, even zero feedback without incident.

@engmtic said:

@Kliao said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

eBay and PayPal guarantees cover the "empty boxes"

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the buyer will not cancel then you should and take the neg.
    You can always reply to feedback "Buyer is in a country that I do not ship to...USA Only"
    No one would see you as a bad seller for that.

@Kliao said:
    I really have no idea. Try videotaping your self packaging the coin for a bit of proof just incase.

It would be a trivial matter for someone to record packaging and then ship a different box.

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

I have sold numerous coins overseas to people with single digit, even zero feedback without incident.

I don't and am hoping for the best that's why I asked if there's anything I can do to protect against a claim that I sent a paperweight. AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be a bulletproof way to do so, which makes me wonder how high value items are sold on eBay.

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

I don't and am hoping for the best that's why I asked if there's anything I can do to protect against a claim that I sent a paperweight. AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be a bulletproof way to do so, which makes me wonder how high value items are sold on eBay.

Ship Express. Use eBay/PayPal guarantees. While you can argue it's not "bulletproof", it covers most issues including the empty box claim.

@engmtic said:
    AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be a bulletproof way to do so, which makes me wonder how high value items are sold on eBay.

Welcome to selling coins on eBay. :)

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

Ship Express. Use eBay/PayPal guarantees. While you can argue it's not "bulletproof", it covers most issues including the empty box claim.

Thanks for all the responses. Can you clarify what the eBay/Paypal guarantees are - is that a service that I need to choose?

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

Thanks for all the responses. Can you clarify what the eBay/Paypal guarantees are - is that a service that I need to choose?

No it’s included in every transaction

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:

@MasonG said:

@engmtic said:

As long as you obey the terms, you are automatically given seller protection from both places. So, make sure they pay by PayPal, only ship to the registered eBay address (not a problem using global shipping). With global shipping, once it gets to Kentucky, all responsibility is eBay's.

Any sympathy for dealers...??? ;)

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I routinely ship overseas through ebay Global.

I shipped a $400+ item to Japan this week, and 6 or so items overseas.

That being said, for a Zero Feedback, Zero time on ebay, and as light as it is, I would not ship, explain to buyer, and cancel the sale with the drop down option of problem with buyer address.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is not that the buyer is in Slovakia; the issue is the new account with no feedback. I truly hope that no one actually has the idea that people residing within the US are somehow more trustworthy than people residing outside the US.

Smitten with DBLCs.

edited November 17, 2019 8:11PM

@Aotearoa said:
    The issue is not that the buyer is in Slovakia; the issue is the new account with no feedback. I truly hope that no one actually has the idea that people residing within the US are somehow more trustworthy than people residing outside the US.

its a USA coin, of course there can be slovakian collectors of the series, but its less likely and it adds to the concern.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    U.S.A. only for me, so sorry.

10 4. And that includes Canada & Mexico. Set your parameters accordingly.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    edited November 18, 2019 12:23AM

@engmtic said:

@Aotearoa said:

its a USA coin, of course there can be slovakian collectors of the series, but its less likely and it adds to the concern.

I know of many collectors of US coins here in New Zealand and our population is less than five million. Keep in mind, as well, that there are as many as nine million US citizens living outside the US.

Any suggestion that an address outside the US somehow equates to a greater degree of dishonesty is ridiculous.

Edited to add: here we go again...

Smitten with DBLCs.

@Aotearoa said:

@engmtic said:

@Aotearoa said:

I know of many collectors of US coins here in New Zealand and our population is less than five million. Keep in mind, as well, that there are as many as nine million US citizens living outside the US.

Any suggestion that an address outside the US somehow equates to a greater degree of dishonesty is ridiculous.

Edited to add: here we go again...

I agree with this. There's a lot of xenophobia involved here. In fact, you can see it with this very coin issue where there were a LOT of newbies on this board and eBay who had U.S. addresses but zero feedback who are buying/selling this issue. It is more expensive to ship to a non-U.S. destination and still meet the eBay/PayPal requirements for seller protection, BUT there should be enough margin on this coin to allow such a sale to take place.

I've been paying $500 each to acquire these coins and I will be shipping globally.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought when you ship global shipping, once it got to the US shipping location (VA?) it was considered delivered.

@davewesen said:
    I thought when you ship global shipping, once it got to the US shipping location (VA?) it was considered delivered.

It is. See my comments above.

@davewesen said:

Lots of people who sell on eBay don't have a complete understanding of eBay's rules. Or PayPal's or USPS's, for that matter.

@MasonG said:

@davewesen said:

Lots of people who sell on eBay don't have a complete understanding of eBay's rules. Or PayPal's or USPS's, for that matter.

@MasonG said:

@davewesen said:

That's okay. I hear they are only going to be around for another 34 months. ;)

• EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

you can do everything right, all they have to do if file it as a SNAD and if they lose, they just do a CC charge back and you will lose.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 1:07PM

@engmtic said:
    I listed and sold my 2019 Reverse Proof Eagle today and the buyer is someone with zero feedback from Slovokia who signed up just today. Of course could be legit but my spidey sense is tingling. Is there anything I can do to protect against a claim of an empty box? What do sellers of high value coin ($100k+) do to protect themselves. In my experience eBay reflexively sides with the buyer so I am nervous but don't want to cancel the sale as he will leave negative feedback.

US Postal laws and regulations are not necessarily enforced overseas (via treaty, etc.)

If a shipment is transferred to the local or hosts country mail system then knowing their laws and rules is a definite need to know.

Very important to read the prohibitions and restrictions.

Slovakia:

https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ps_030.htm

—————

If you use the Bay’s GSP be certain the item fits within USPS rules (see above) for shipping to a country.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@davewesen said:

It is. See my comments above.

Kentucky.

The Bay’s GSP is PBs shipping center.

@Hemispherical said:
    Very important to read the prohibitions and restrictions.

FWIW, USPS's listed prohibitions and restrictions are not always accurate. To be sure, one would have to confirm the policies with the country where a package is to be shipped.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 3:42PM

I use the global shipping program and have had virtually no problems. I ship it to the global ship center in KY from there I wash my hands of it. Make sure you have tracking. I include signature confirmation items over say $250. I do big ticket material mainly at shows. One guy in Canada filed a not receive complaint on me but tracking showed it delivered. He lost his case.

But in your case that is scary, his zero feedback. If ship track the progress of the item along the way. That way if question comes up you know what’s going on can answer.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO OVERSEAS SALES. I have enough problems with US scammers. I also state feedback over 10 required. You have a lot of red flags here.

Good luck!

Vplite99
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't sell on eBay is about the only way I know.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 10:36PM

Under the MY EBAY "account" tab select "site preferences," and scroll down to "shipping preferences." Click on the "shipping preferences" link and then to the right of "exclude shipping locations" click on "edit." You will then be given the option to select (and block buyers in) areas you do not wish to sell to. Be sure to click "save" to apply to all future new listings (you also have the option to apply to existing listings). This is a one time action for all of your existing and/or future listings.

Mine is set to US addresses only, including PO boxes. US APO/FPO are US post offices on overseas government/military locations:

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• We use eBay's Global Shipping all of the time and have had zero issues (including high dollar items). Once it arrives to the shipping center in Kentucky, all liability become's eBay's - including damage, claims of item not received, etc.

I'm not sure why so many are against using it. There really is no downside for a seller as far as we have experienced, and we have used it easily over a hundred times.

@SmithAuctionCo said:
    We use eBay's Global Shipping all of the time and have had zero issues (including high dollar items). Once it arrives to the shipping center in Kentucky, all liability become's eBay's - including damage, claims of item not received, etc.

I'm not sure why so many are against using it. There really is no downside for a seller as far as we have experienced, and we have used it easily over a hundred times.

The only downside is the cost to the buyer. I do get complaints if I use it from people who don't want to pay the postage. It is a pretty expensive service, though it is worry-free.

@jmlanzaf said:
    The only downside is the cost to the buyer. I do get complaints if I use it from people who don't want to pay the postage. It is a pretty expensive service, though it is worry-free.

Bingo. Around $25 for a single slabbed coin from the US to NZ. Seemingly around double what it what it would cost DIY.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 3:36PM

Nope... wouldn't go there. I specify USA only to minimize any issues and make my life much less complex. PLENTY of buyers in the USA

Doesn't really help after that fact with this issue but may prevent future grief

Also...a buyer in Slovakia that has NEVER bought a coin on Ebay decides to make a first purchase on a high demand product...ummm....no

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file