Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to protect against eBay Buyer (possible) Scammer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is higher on less expensive items but way cheaper on items you need to insure! I would not be selling expensive coins overseas if not for the Global Shipping Program.

@jmlanzaf said:

@SmithAuctionCo said:
    We use eBay's Global Shipping all of the time and have had zero issues (including high dollar items). Once it arrives to the shipping center in Kentucky, all liability become's eBay's - including damage, claims of item not received, etc.

I'm not sure why so many are against using it. There really is no downside for a seller as far as we have experienced, and we have used it easily over a hundred times.

The only downside is the cost to the buyer. I do get complaints if I use it from people who don't want to pay the postage. It is a pretty expensive service, though it is worry-free.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 6:41AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    The only downside is the cost to the buyer. I do get complaints if I use it from people who don't want to pay the postage. It is a pretty expensive service, though it is worry-free.

Is the shipping cost known to the buyer before they commit to the purchase ? If so, they don't have a leg to stand on concerning complaints......

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried the global shipping option with ebay only a couple of times and had no issues with it other than expense. However, I now only do sales in USA... just to keep it simple.

----- kj
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the service a lot (2 more yesterday headed out), but it is NOT without any risks. A buyer can still file an SNAD, and YOU are responsible for paying the entire shipping cost to get it back.

(I also ship things a lot larger than a coin)

Example (shipping only): US shipping to center: $24, shipping paid by buyer total: $88

Return shipping to USA: $176

The return shipping is so much higher because you do not get the price break of shipping by air freight container, and most countries do not have a flat rate shipping box.

The refund, if if makes it back, does not include the $88- $24 = $64 that they paid to get the item over the pond, but you have to eat the entire pond back to US cost.

Shipping cost is based on weight, not size, so there are a lot of items I ship that are too big for USPS, and FedEx DHL,. etc are cost prohibitive. For example, a grill out of a car, aluminum, 5' long, 13" tall and 4" wide may weigh 5 pounds boxed and padded. USPS is no, cannot ship, FedEx is $260, and Ebay global is $27

Another point that people overlook: Ebay Global includes the cost of Customs in the fee. Some items get charged customs whereas if you shipped yourself, either they let it slide or the buyer pays for it once it gets there, so in your "vision" the ebay shipping is higher, but to the buyer, it may not be.

I have a console out of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 heading to Poland today. The ebay shipping is the only thing that make is possible to ship economically. Large but light, expensive,

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    It is higher on less expensive items but way cheaper on items you need to insure! I would not be selling expensive coins overseas if not for the Global Shipping Program.

@jmlanzaf said:

@SmithAuctionCo said:
    We use eBay's Global Shipping all of the time and have had zero issues (including high dollar items). Once it arrives to the shipping center in Kentucky, all liability become's eBay's - including damage, claims of item not received, etc.

I'm not sure why so many are against using it. There really is no downside for a seller as far as we have experienced, and we have used it easily over a hundred times.

I don't insure anything international under about $250. So there is very little that I end up insuring. But, I agree, if you need insurance the global shipping becomes more cost competitive.

• Options

@thebeav said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Is the shipping cost known to the buyer before they commit to the purchase ? If so, they don't have a leg to stand on concerning complaints......

"leg to stand on" for what? They can still downgrade you for the shipping costs. They can refuse to buy because of the shipping costs. They can go on to coin boards (like this one) and tell their friends not to buy fro you. They could even leave a negative because of the shipping costs. As long as the negative doesn't say "because of shipping costs" eBay won't remove it. They won't win in court, but they don't have to. Happy customers are required for a successful business whether they "have a leg to stand on" or not.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@thebeav said:

@jmlanzaf said:

"leg to stand on" for what? They can still downgrade you for the shipping costs. They can refuse to buy because of the shipping costs. They can go on to coin boards (like this one) and tell their friends not to buy fro you. They could even leave a negative because of the shipping costs. As long as the negative doesn't say "because of shipping costs" eBay won't remove it. They won't win in court, but they don't have to. Happy customers are required for a successful business whether they "have a leg to stand on" or not.

So, they aren't aware of the shipping costs until after they commit to the purchase ?

• Options

@thebeav said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@thebeav said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So, they aren't aware of the shipping costs until after they commit to the purchase ?

They can get an estimate, but I don't think it is blaring at them unless they ask for it. But even if they know the shipping costs, it doesn't mean they like it. I've had complaints and even low evaluations based on my domestic $3 shipping rate which barely covers package rate shipping.

It also doesn't help me if they know the cost and refuse to buy.

• Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭

My buyer form Slovakia claims he paid $215 for shipping. Is that even possible?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they can see the shipping cost.

You can use one of my items, that no one would ever mistake for a coin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303357553045?&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

If you call it up, it shows shipping as $48.35, which is United States.

Go down to the Shipping and payments Line, just below all the pictures, and click on shipping and payments

It will then show a lot of excluded countries, and there is a drop down box that says to change country:

Click on it, and select another country. and click Get Rates

For example, Thailand now shows as Shipping $155,95 and customs is empty, since there is a best offer, the amount of customs will modulate to actual price paid.

The original shipping field changed from $48.35 to the $155.95

New Zealand is $215.

Don't forget to change back to the United States, or all your shipping will reflect New Zealand, and it will not show those items that do not ship overseas.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Yes, they can see the shipping cost.

You can use one of my items, that no one would ever mistake for a coin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303357553045?&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

If you call it up, it shows shipping as $48.35, which is United States.

Go down to the Shipping and payments Line, just below all the pictures, and click on shipping and payments

It will then show a lot of excluded countries, and there is a drop down box that says to change country:

Click on it, and select another country. and click Get Rates

For example, Thailand now shows as Shipping $155,95 and customs is empty, since there is a best offer, the amount of customs will modulate to actual price paid.

The original shipping field changed from $48.35 to the $155.95

New Zealand is $215.

Don't forget to change back to the United States, or all your shipping will reflect New Zealand, and it will not show those items that do not ship overseas.

Thanks
    wow
    thats insane

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    First it’s not a high value coin. You paid $70.00. Now has he paid first? Usually through Pay Pal. I always transfer the money out of Pay Pal to my Credit Union. I keep a Zero Pay Pal balance . No money for Pay Pal to SIEZE.
    Once he pays your fine unless you agreed to send it overseas. I never send anything over seas . But if it’s in America you send it with Signature Confirmation. You should be fine.

If he tries to scam you you will just have to go through the process of the Investigation.
    On my High dollar coins where so really paid over a $1000.00 I send everything via Fed Ex 2 day overnight delivery with a Signature Confirmation. I never had a problem. Good luck.

Even if you have zero balance PP will ding your account and it will go to a negative balance. Any monies going into it will go to PP so it's essentially a useless account.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@engmtic said:

It’s expensive but not that expensive

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@engmtic said:

It’s expensive but not that expensive

I had a buyer in the Netherlands that paid $41 for shipping

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that also includes taxes which are pretty high in Europe! I'll be glad when the playing field on taxes is leveled between buyers in Europe and here.

@engmtic said:

• Options
    TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 11:22AM

I don't see the issue with sending to a PO box. To get a PO box you have to provide several forms of identification including a government issued ID and a current utility bill or lease.

I have my valuable mail go to a PO box because I live in an apartment complex and there is the possibility of mail box break-ins. Last year I found that the mailpersons substitute didn't fully secure the postal employees way of entering and leaving mail. I, knowing locks, corrected the deficiency, went straight down to the post office and complained. then I called the mail lady and told her about it and she said that the person was a temp employee...

And yes I have my mail ladies phone number because I do very rarely have COD packages come and I have them delivered at home

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be nervous too if I were you ..... US confirmed PayPal address only maybe safer :)

• Options
    TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭

@engmtic said:

it could cost that much if they sent it FedEx 10am delivery and if fedex could be sent from a slovic nation..

To Slovakia - USD$191.22 to have it in a couple days

• Options
    edited November 21, 2019 11:36AM

allright guys thanks for all the advice
    i sent to him today...
    ill update this post in a month or so as to what ends up happening

• Options

Update.
    2.5 weeks after receiving it and.......
    crickets.
    i think im in the clear

unfortunetly my ebay account was shut down for preselling these.
    not sure why but ebay doesnt care to explain...

• Options

@engmtic said:
    Update.
    crickets.
    i think im in the clear

So, have you considered removing the scammer designation from this thread?

• Options
    edited December 22, 2019 5:46PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@engmtic said:
    Update.
    crickets.
    i think im in the clear

So, have you considered removing the scammer designation from this thread?

No, I'm just one case.....I think it's still useful for others in scenarios where they believe there's a possibility for a scammer to use the helpful suggestions mentioned.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2019 6:58PM

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file