Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tell us about Baltimore

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were you there?
Please share your stories.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report; nice looking chopped 8R!

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very busy show, which was expected being the last big one of the year.

Whitman are very good at producing shows.

The only negative was the Silver Eagle mayhem.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades

Where is the sale of Lesher Dollars taking place?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @ChopmarkedTrades

Where is the sale of Lesher Dollars taking place?

Upcoming Kagin's auction. #1 Set All Time.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 7:09PM

For the next show Dealer set up will now be Wednesday and the show will close Saturday....alias no more Sunday. Friday is usually my worst day and Saturday is usually my best day. This time Friday was my best day and Saturday was my worst day.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    As an individual collector, I attended on Saturday only and was disappointed. Half of the dealers who I wanted to see had already packed up and left. Many of those that did set up on Saturday began packing up around noon. The ANA, which I recently joined and planned to speak with about taking full advantage of my new membership, was already gone and only scraps of their literature remained at their table. Whitman didn't have the one coin folder I needed.

Agreed on the early departures being a problem. Thursday and Friday had virtually every booth filled, but by the time I made it back Saturday afternoon the order to abandon ship had clearly been given, despite more general public making it through the door. More than half of the tables were packed up and gone.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first show was a Saturday as well and had a similar experience and two of the dealers who were actually there and I bought from that day I actively keep tabs on and have bought from again. Actually my avatar is one of the coins I bought from one of the dealers a few months after the show.

Great bust half pickup love it

• Options

@ianrussell said:

• Ian

I was at the Friday show and appeared that most dealers were having good traffic. Even though not expecting the mint to sell the Silver Eagles on Friday, I became, in your words. caught up in the mayhem and was a successful participate. I am wondering since you think that this was a negative for the show, what effect it had on your business that you see it as a negative? I also observed several dealers participated in the mint's sale and it was hard to see that their mood was anything but upbeat.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCADSPEC said:

@ianrussell said:

• Ian

I was at the Friday show and appeared that most dealers were having good traffic. Even though not expecting the mint to sell the Silver Eagles on Friday, I became, in your words. caught up in the mayhem and was a successful participate. I am wondering since you think that this was a negative for the show, what effect it had on your business that you see it as a negative? I also observed several dealers participated in the mint's sale and it was hard to see that their mood was anything but upbeat.

Agreed, the mayhem part related to the fighting/arguing (even as I left on Friday, a dealer was screaming at a police officer, who had just started to scream back). Since it was such a small purchase price (compared to Kennedy Gold, as an example), I'm sure retail dealers benefited. I think back in 2014, some dealers mentioned that the $1100-$1200 was $1100-$1200 people didn't have to spend at the show with dealers.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    As an individual collector, I attended on Saturday only and was disappointed. Half of the dealers who I wanted to see had already packed up and left. Many of those that did set up on Saturday began packing up around noon. The ANA, which I recently joined and planned to speak with about taking full advantage of my new membership, was already gone and only scraps of their literature remained at their table. Whitman didn't have the one coin folder I needed.

Agreed on the early departures being a problem. Thursday and Friday had virtually every booth filled, but by the time I made it back Saturday afternoon the order to abandon ship had clearly been given, despite more general public making it through the door. More than half of the tables were packed up and gone.

Yes I agree. Saturday should be the biggest day, because that’s when kids don’t have to go to school and adults don’t have to work. Seems silly to me...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice reports and coin all

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still find it too bad that dealers pack up and leave early, making Saturday at the show for many folks a barren experience. I don't know what to do about it, but like others have said, I will likely buy from other dealers that stick in the future when I see that. Part of the problem is that many of the early departing dealers are there mostly for the wholesale and not to John Q Public so they really don't care if they see my money or any other collector buisness.......

But ANA leaving early? Another reason why I did not renew my membership this year after 14 years of being a member. This organization continues to surprise me in negative ways (sorry but true).

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

dealers that leave early on saturday dont care about doing business with collectors.end of story

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.... sad that dealers were leaving early on Saturday..that is what used to happen on Sunday...now that some shows have eliminated Sunday, they leave early on Saturday....Soon shows will be Friday only...and they will pack up by noon..... :o Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 6:37PM

What was the commotion about with the screaming and police involvement? I must have missed it on Saturday.

My bit and pieces from Baltimore:

-I actually had a wonderful time chatting with 1 of the cast member who happens to be in the movie The Color of Money starring Paul Newman. (No, its not Paul or Tom Cruise, he's 1 of the pool player :# )

-IMO Whitman did a wonderful job in organizing and controlling the crowd. They even passed out free limited pizza and snack to those waiting on Thursday.

-The only snafu was the US Mint having only 2 working registers. :s I'm in the middle of the pack and didn't get my coin till 3-ish.

-Heard the the Mint has roughly 900 Of the Enhanced SE in hand Thursday. Approx. 250-300 leftover for Friday's distribution. All gone by 2:30pm with the last 1 supposedly to a gentleman by the name of "Bob". :)

-Seem liked 80% of the people in line on Thursday are from 2 casting agencies, either Central & Regent Royale (?). The person above was from Central & was paid $135 for the "work".

• Options
    edited November 17, 2019 7:20PM

I was there until 5! LOL guess I'm not worth a look!

I also agree that dealers shouldn't leave so early. In our section it hurts us because there are are so may empty tables in front of us people don't come back to our area on Saturday. I wish Whitman would do like FUN and kick those early leavers to the back of the room!

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

There is a lot of talk in the hobby about welcoming new collectors into the fold. It seems like some of the easy stuff is being missed. Younger collectors like myself often don't have the luxury of free weekdays. The ANA is fueled by members yet they skip the day when newer collectors are most likely to be in attendance. Dealers miss the opportunity to build relationships with someone like myself that still needs many coins for a type set.

I do understand that for dealers, much of the business happens during the weekdays with other dealers. I also understand that many have come from long distances and don't want to spend the entire weekend traveling. For what it's worth, the other half of dealers on my list that were there were all fantastic, helpful, willing to talk, etc. Those folks are more likely to get my business in the future, and maybe that's the best way for this all to shake out.

I'm curious what folks here think about this from both the dealer and individual collector perspectives.

I did pick up this lovely bust half, so despite some disappointment, the show was still a success.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

My schedule allows me a bit of flexibility, so I was able to go Thursday afternoon and again over lunch on Friday. This is the busiest I've seen any Baltimore Show in the last 2-3 years or so. This year, I made a real effort to at least look at all the displays... it took over 2 hours and I was only looking for Liberty Seated Dollars and Classic Head Large Cents. The odd few tables of raw silver and gold at just over spot caught my eye as well. Another observation was the number of younger (late 20's early 30's?) collectors going table to table. This was definitely the case on Thursday. I'm not so sure about Friday... I wasn't there for more than 30-40 minutes, but it was still pretty busy. The US Mint offering seemed to have a lot of folks scrambling... perhaps that added to the atmosphere!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the additional reports on show activity reports....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Walkerfan @spacehayduke @amwldcoin @ChopmarkedTrades @PocketChange Glad I'm not alone.

As I said in another thread, it's not about staying til the bitter end, or leaving a couple hours early. Dealers are leaving days in advance. There were empty tables--not no shows, but tables that were abandoned by dealers who left on Wednesday--of the ANA in Chicago. Ditto Friday for Long Beach in September.

(Until I manage to recover my account, this is @RockyMtnProspector)

• Options

@tabascoii said:
    @CharlotteDude that $10 is awesome!

I Agree!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI many of us dealers had just completed wed-sat the previous week at the St Louis Coin X show so we have been on the road for a long stretch.

One suggestion is that they know which dealers leave early and which stay. If they would arrange it so the dealers who stay were banded together it would be a lot better for folks who wonder in. I’m not saying move small dealers to front and big dealers back but they could probably put more of the staying dealers towards the middle or central part of the room. Personally I usually stay til customers are not around which is 2-3pm. Kinda like when you pop corn in the microwave and the end there is on 1 or 2 Kernels popping now and then instead of lots of popping

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    But ANA leaving early? Another reason why I did not renew my membership this year after 14 years of being a member. This organization continues to surprise me in negative ways (sorry but true).

I reached out to their membership team this morning and explained my disappointment. They got back to me quickly and said that my feedback was forwarded to both the "Executive Director and the President of the Board of Governors." They are also sending me a copy of a recent book at their expense, which was a nice gesture. I don't have any illusions that my feedback will bring about changes, but thought I should share since I specifically called them out in my last post.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    For the next show Dealer set up will now be Wednesday and the show will close Saturday....alias no more Sunday. Friday is usually my worst day and Saturday is usually my best day. This time Friday was my best day and Saturday was my worst day.

Think getting rid of Sun is a good idea. Very few people come certainly not worth the cost to Whitman but I’m not liking a Wed setup. It was nice being able to arrive late Wed night or early Thur morning now I’ll be forced to lose yet another day on Wed to do set up. 3 day show would have been fine ... we will see how it plays out.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

I used to have a big advantage. Before Whitman bought the show I used to help set up the show(got a free table!). When we were done we were able to set up Wednesday giving us a head start on everyone! It made a big difference. I'm 11 hours away so it is a plus for me. I always arrive a little after noon Wednesday...put my stuff in the security room...check in the hotel, then go back at 6 and move my stuff from the security room to my table. If they don't have a security room Sat. night I will be leaving Saturday morning...a security issue. :(

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

@amwldcoin said:

Think getting rid of Sun is a good idea. Very few people come certainly not worth the cost to Whitman but I’m not liking a Wed setup. It was nice being able to arrive late Wed night or early Thur morning now I’ll be forced to lose yet another day on Wed to do set up. 3 day show would have been fine ... we will see how it plays out.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent most of my time in the ancient and foreign coin area since I am moving away from U.S. coins. I came in looking for coins representative of five emperors and came away with four of them, three of them “The 12 Emperors.” I did buy two of the Three Indian Cents I need to complete a Civil War era date set. Those will problem be the last major U.S. coin purchases for me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I spent most of my time in the ancient and foreign coin area since I am moving away from U.S. coins. I came in looking for coins representative of five emperors and came away with four of them, three of them “The 12 Emperors.” I did buy two of the Three Indian Cents I need to complete a Civil War era date set. Those will problem be the last major U.S. coin purchases for me.

I understand how you feel The dark side has become more fun for me.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always marvel at the continuing debate about dealers leaving a show early. my natural response is to tell collectors that they should get to the show earlier and stop complaining, but I understand that isn't always possible. strangely, that is part of the reason why dealers don't stay to the very last minute of a show, it isn't always possible and it isn't always a wise use of their time.

when I worked in a shop and did regular shows my boss had a strategy --- get to the show as early as possible to be set-up, withstand the "early birds" and the initial flood of customers when the show opens, then wait till customers coming to our table slows to almost nothing. when that happens it makes no sense to stay so we'd pack up, get everything unloaded at the shop and a few things taken care of, then enjoy whatever time was left at our leisure.

dealers won't stay at a show when their experience tells them they won't make any money and their time is more important. buyers already understand that and need to find an approach that better suits themselves.

• Options

Some collectors think that they can get "bargains" at the end of a show. "You must be desperate to sell, right?"

Ah, no. There is always another show unless you are a dealer who is going out of business, and this is his last show. That is rare.

That's not say that some dealers have some stuff that they would like to dump and not take home. BUT look at it this way. If no one has bought something for show after show, chances are it's either overpriced or it's a dog.

Do you really want to buy that? Do you really think that it’s a bargain?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin dealing is a business and attending multiple day shows involves considerable daily expense. The large coin shows have been too long for decades ... this problem is nothing new. Way back in 1990 I set up at the Memphis Paper Money Show as a tabled dealer. 50% of my sales were during dealer set-up on Thursday evening. 40% of my sales were on opening day, Friday. 10% of my sales were on Saturday. On Sunday, when I was still set up, I sold nothing.

If you want to be happy attending major shows come early. It is just the way it is and probably always will be.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

There is a reason why some show promoters let “the amateurs” set up for no charge on Sunday. That’s often about what it’s worth. It’s easier to justify driving in for a free table if you didn’t have to pay for meals and a hotel room the night before.

• Options

Dealers: it costs us money to stay.
    Collectors: it costs us money to come early.

"It is just the way it is and probably always will be."

Well, that won't address why people stop coming. I always hear about dealer costs but not about how much collectors have to spend to get to the same shows driving, flying, hotels, etc., plus days off from work.

And again, not talking about staying until the last minute or even final hour or two. But in a three day show starting Thursday, I'm talking being gone by Friday noon. That's "leaving early."

I'm amazed at how dismissive some here are about this. Then folks like me stop attending these shows, and then some dealers here say, "but there's no foot traffic on a Saturday!"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

After collectors are "taken" a few times in on-line auctions/buy-it-nows they will cherish the idea of actually attending a real coin show. Some will drop out but the true collectors will learn and stay.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

The issue to me is not the knowledgeable collector who knows the show will be a ghost town on the weekend, but the newbie that sees a show advertised as being open, and goes on their leisure time only to be dissapointed. Thats what happened to me on my first ever coin show (I lived about an hour away from the Baltimore show), and naively showed up on Sunday, as I recall.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I've learned from past experience not to show up after 2pm on Sat.
    So now I go to the early show AND another 1 early on Sat. with my kids.

That way the kids won't bother me when I'm in a business dealing mode.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I go to a show; I treat it as a vacation. I go during the week and spend a few days. Friday is always my favorite day to go. I don’t like going on the very first day. I know that dealers leave early, because of my experience. The problem is that some people don’t know that and they show up on Saturday and there’s no one there and they get disappointed and upset and then don’t go to any shows again. Herein lies the problem and it’s unfortunate.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file