Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where's my poll?

I had a poll asking for opinions on banning Chinese-origin counterfeit coins on eBay, but now the page is completely gone.

Where did it go?

I did not get an email about it being removed.

Is this a mistake?

Whoever is behind the scenes, please let me know. I would like all correspondence about this issue to be public, since the poll (and all responses) were public. Thank you.

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was closed by the moderators

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:
    I had a poll asking for opinions on banning Chinese-origin counterfeit coins on eBay, but now the page is completely gone.

Where did it go?

I did not get an email about it being removed.

Is this a mistake?

Whoever is behind the scenes, please let me know. I would like all correspondence about this issue to be public, since the poll (and all responses) were public. Thank you.

Your poll wasn't about banning counterfeits on eBay, it was about banning anyone with a Chinese address. It should have been shut down and it was. The moderators decide the parameters of discussions here.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably removed due to the inherent discriminatory nature of the question. Cheers, RickO

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just forget it

LCoopie = Les
  • RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@RedstoneCoins said:
    I am asking only moderators this question.

Respectfully, unless someone here is a moderator, I am not interested in speculative answers. I just want the truth, not speculation.

Removing someone's post is pretty serious. It's like taking someone's voice away, along with the voice of every person who responded. I take offense to the idea that my voice could be silenced merely because someone didn't agree with my opinion (or the 75% of respondents who agreed with me, in some form).

If it was removed deliberately, why was I not emailed or given any notice at all?

If it was removed, and this is not an error, what rule did my poll break? Don't I have a right to know when my posts are removed, and for what reason?

I would think that reasonable people could at least have the respect to inform someone that their post would be removed, rather than silently doing things behind the curtain to remove someone's speech without telling them. Assuming that's what happened.

Then why not contact a moderator directly, instead of starting a thread?

As I said in my first post, the poll was public, as were all of its' responses. I believe it's fair that the reasons for the removal of the poll be public as well, since the public gave their opinions in the poll.

75% of respondents agreed with the poll, in some form. To secretly remove every person's response without telling them seems wrong to me. People deserve an answer when their speech is silenced. That is fair.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your thread/poll was closed by the moderators. Not speculation, fact. There was a big, red closed at the end of the thread.

Moderation has been discussed ad nauseum on this this forum. What’s fair, why were people banned, etc. You can complain all you want, but the bottom line is that the owners can close any thread and moderate/ban any member, for any reason they darn well please with or without any explanation. It’s their site. Don’t like it? Then you’re out of luck. Simple as that.

One other thing. Don't assume that just because 75% of the people agreed with your poll question means that they are all upset that your poll got poofed. Just sayin'

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:
    ... Don't I have a right to know when my posts are removed, and for what reason?

No. If you are told, it's a courtesy extended to you. Fortunately, the mods will respond to PMs.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:

Respectfully, unless someone here is a moderator, I am not interested in speculative answers. I just want the truth, not speculation.

Removing someone's post is pretty serious. It's like taking someone's voice away, along with the voice of every person who responded. I take offense to the idea that my voice could be silenced merely because someone didn't agree with my opinion (or the 75% of respondents who agreed with me, in some form).

If it was removed deliberately, why was I not emailed or given any notice at all?

If it was removed, and this is not an error, what rule did my poll break? Don't I have a right to know when my posts are removed, and for what reason?

I would think that reasonable people could at least have the respect to inform someone that their post would be removed, rather than silently doing things behind the curtain to remove someone's speech without telling them. Assuming that's what happened.

It's not speculation: we all saw the big red closed sign.

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why it was taken down.

What's worse: taking away an offensive post on a corporate site or leaving the offensive post so that some visitor can have a voice?

Not that you asked for (or want) my advice: but calling out the moderators and questioning their judgment can result in suspension or expulsion.

The moderators have other jobs and responsibilities. They may well email you at a later date with a reason. You can also email them directly and ask if you really want it enunciated.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of well intended threads about U.S coins that I started in the past were zapped. And they were about coins. This place doesn't afford you "rights".

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 8:16AM

TopStuf:
    ok, what good does CAC do for these members who do not even know what it is ?
    OR who do not wish to afford it? Or who do not have any coins even closely qualifying for it?
    I bet there are many here???

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, Poking at the Beast eh? Hope you don't get your icon changed.

@RedstoneCoins said:

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

BNB-like drama.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 9:12AM

BNB-like drama.

Now, you've got me wishing that I'd read the thread, because it's quite a statement to reference BNB to almost any other post. ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for see a closed sign being hung here in the future (maybe)

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 1:18PM

Your post on this thread - you just rewrote history and left out some important words and phrases with your question.

Asking about counterfeits is one thing, asking for a ban on all addresses from a country? Jeez, pretty much all of your posting themes sounds so familiar...

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:

Keep digging. :D

It has been a while since I registered here at CU, but I assume that when you sign up there is a little check box that you need to populate to certify that you agree to their terms and conditions. You don't have "rights" here. You post at their discretion.

I didn't open your other thread in time so I missed whatever occurred. No matter how sincere or well-intentioned it was, it ran afoul of some policy. It may have been the poll itself or the direction some of the posts were taking.

I would not take a closed or deleted thread too personally. Save that for if you get banned.

And a word of advice - in my experience here, starting new a thread about a closed or deleted thread is usually not a good idea. ;)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Chuck Norris closed the poll. :D>:)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Chuck Norris fear CAC? o:)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

CAC puts a Chuck Norris sticker on coins that it feels are beyond describing with a mere grade.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

You get bonus Brownie points for consistency!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where’s my mommy? :D

Hopefully Heather is chill and will allow the dawning realization from the OP that he is not owed a response.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@BillDugan1959 said:

@topstuf said:

You get bonus Brownie points for consistency!

Now if only anyone gets it ...................

..........peace would guide the planets. ;)

I'm almost to the point of making a POLL to see who thinks I am a die hard CAC person.

Might take the wayback machine to do the research. :D

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins said:

PM a moderator.

While your waiting for a response it might be helpful to refresh yourself on the bare-bone rules (stickied at the top of the forum.)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedstoneCoins thinks: "Removing someone's post is pretty serious."

It sure is. Let's get serious and remove this discussion!

edited October 30, 2019 1:31PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    If you notice he did get a LOL from her. :D

Now that is a powerful response in its own right.

My guess is that she is letting the forum handle this one. ;)

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    If you notice he did get a LOL from her. :D

Now that is a powerful response in its own right.

My guess is that she is letting the forum handle this one. ;)

After a LOL, I'll bet she did contact him in a PM.

• RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    What's worse: taking away an offensive post on a corporate site or leaving the offensive post so that some visitor can have a voice?

What's worse is to allow China to sell billions of fake gold, silver, and other counterfeit U.S. coins by the boatload, while censoring any posts on the website for the #1 coin-verification service in the world that call for solutions to the problem.

I don't care if my question offended you. You don't have a right to not be offended. Free people DO have the right to call for solutions and work as a community to solve problems. And the best way to solve any problem is to first TALK about it, as a community, which was the entire point of my poll. There are far few too many people trying to solve the elephant-in-the-room sized problem with coins: that is acknowledging that our #1 problem and enemy is mass-counterfeiting, most of it originating overseas, most specifically originating from China.

These counterfeiters are causing innocent people to suffer, collectively, billions of dollars in damages to their hard-earned savings by selling them fakes that will be worthless when the time comes to sell. American citizens have spent their lives working hard, diligently saving their money, only to be scammed by crooks selling fake coins. The idea that we aren't even allowed to discussion potential solutions to the problem because 'it might offend someone' is absurd.

What's worse is that now counterfeiters have moved beyond faking mere raw coins and bars and have started faking PCGS & NGC-certified graded coins, which should particularly motivate PCGS as a company, along with all of you, as dedicated coin collectors and dealers, to take action and push for bold solutions that will result in real change, to stop the flow of such counterfeits into our country. Clearly, the 2014 CCPA didn't do enough, as I still see numerous fake graded (and ungraded) coins daily. We need better laws, and in order to reach a consensus on what will work most effectively, we need to be allowed to discuss this as a community.

The idea that you would call for my censorship, merely because I asked a simple question - while you ignore the true problem and elephant in the room - mass counterfeiting actively destroying people's life savings - shows how horribly backwards your priorities are.

I am trying to help people. You are trying to not offend people. At least one of us is trying to help people. It clearly isn't you.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s the weekend

LCoopie = Les
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

What's worse is to allow China to sell billions of fake gold, silver, and other counterfeit U.S. coins by the boatload, while censoring any posts on the website for the #1 coin-verification service in the world that call for solutions to the problem.

I am trying to help people. You are trying to not offend people. At least one of us is trying to help people. It clearly isn't you.

Personally, I am not offended. But you might ask why many others, including myself, recognize why some people might be.

You are hurting people not helping people. You've labeled an entire country as crooks because a few people in that country make and sell counterfeits. Your solution is not a solution.

I can buy thousands of counterfeits from China and sell them from my USA address. I would bet that even now, the majority of Chinese counterfeits on eBay are sold by U.S. based sellers. Most of the ones posted on this forum have NOT BEEN based in China.

I never called for your censorship. I pointed out why PCGS could and should prevent ignorant comments from being paraded around under their corporate banner. I UNDERSTAND why they deleted your poll and rather than turn around and attack the rest of us, maybe you should reflect a bit and come to understand it yourself.

Very well said. And since the thread hasn’t been closed, it appears that the counterfeiting problem can still be discussed.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Redstone Express to Valhalla

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

IBTC
    The OP is consistent if nothing else. Ha ha

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    IBTC
    The OP is consistent if nothing else. Ha ha

I think hobbyists should be concerned over the repercussions of the counterfeit problem. And I welcome ideas and discussion about how to combat it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Revenues from China are around 7% of their total revenues and further, even with a good earnings report yesterday, the stock tanked 10%.

They are not in a position to anger the Chinese market by supporting some inane ban, as you suggested.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019 6:35AM

This press release is from 6 years ago. This part of their business probably factors in to the decision.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

So follow in the footsteps of the NBA ?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP still doesn't get it. :/

Chinese counterfeits have nothing to do with PCGS forum rules.

It will be difficult for you to have a constructive discussion if you unnecessarily antagonize our hosts.

Pretty much everything you have said here would be allowed but but the wording on the poll was apparently too much. As others have said, PCGS has a hand in the Chinese market and I am sure they want to expand that.

This discussion has been closed.