Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got blown out of the water on this Seated half!

I guess there are some other folks out there trying to complete their Seated Liberty half sets. I do need the 1890 for my set, but it looks like I will need to keep looking.

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/752098/1890-Seated-Liberty-Half-Dollar-PCGS-XF-45-CAC-Toned

Not sure if the sticker helped drive it up, but I bet the seller is happy!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Yep, I bet the sticker bumped it quite a bit..... Good luck finding your 'white whale'... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 7:33PM

I like the patina and it is a very meaty XF.

Agree that it is a strong price.

Keep searching and good luck!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 1:08AM

I'm impressed with the price. Strong demand for that coin.

Here's the cert link:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/26162335

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:
    Lets see the facts:
    no return policy
    photos that are ok
    zero written descriptions

kind of like the wild wild west imho, but then I kinda of like the wild wild west ;)

Déjà vu
    This happened to a friend, only with the seated dollar. But not from GC, GC has always been a good source.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 1:32AM

I've gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the look of this coin. I think waiting for another example to come along will prove to be the right move.

@Realone said:
    Lets see the facts:
    no return policy

GreatCollections does accept returns according to their website.

"Certified coins/banknotes must be in the original sealed grading service holders. To return an item, the Buyer must notify GreatCollections within 24 hours of receipt and receive a return confirmation number. Please mail the coin or banknote via Insured Mail to GreatCollections within 72 hours of receipt of coin."

Source: https://www.greatcollections.com/kb/What-is-your-return-policy-t83-4.html?se=return

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it's time for a visit to a major coin show. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say but I wouldn't touch that coin with a 10 foot pole even if the slab had 6 CAC stickers :s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be a bad photo. I bet the lighting was just too bright when the photo was taken. I can't imagine getting CAC approval on a coin that looks that way in-hand.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure darker photos would make it seem less details grade worthy and more wholesome?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were you trying to buy the coin or the bean? Looks like a really awful, cleaned coin. For a lot of folks that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that there is a green bean or not.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo does look like it was taken in very bright light or the white balance was crazy.

I did put in a bid for that coin, but for FAR lower than the final price but within reason of the CoinFacts prices. No green bean is worth that kind of premium to me.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is a rare die marriage?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm not a fan

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be lucky you didn't win. Now is the not the time to chase coins of that caliber. Buy them when you find them reasonably priced, but don't go crazy because of impatience.

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Talk about being buried in a coin....

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Perhaps it is a rare die marriage?

With that low of mintage, I doubt that more than one die pair was used, but I could be wrong of course.

But it’s obvious at least two people wanted it pretty bad!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been able to buy much at GC lately. Good news for GC and consignors but a lot of prices selling for much more than I would pay and I use to find many good deals.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I haven't been able to buy much at GC lately. Good news for GC and consignors but a lot of prices selling for much more than I would pay and I use to find many good deals.

Same here. I’ve been very surprised by quite a few results. Recently I watched a toned coin that was offered on multiple venues for a while with no sale go for around 4x the asking price when auctioned by GC.

It appears to be a good time for more people to send consignments their way.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Geez, a lot of people whose opinions I respect crapping all over this coin -- I don't think it's at all that bad. I don't find it to be overly cleaned or hairlined, but I do think it's a craptastic photo. By that logic maybe the consignor is breathing a sigh of relief. In any case, if there's a better 1890 half out there, it'll come along eventually. Patience is always advisable, but again as far as the coin goes, I've seen far, far worse.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever Bidder 12 was wanted that coin bad, and probably would have gone higher.
    There were 28 bids, and 9 of them were from Bidder 12.
    They'll be happy for a while.

thefinn
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:
    Geez, a lot of people whose opinions I respect crapping all over this coin -- I don't think it's at all that bad. I don't find it to be overly cleaned or hairlined, but I do think it's a craptastic photo. By that logic maybe the consignor is breathing a sigh of relief. In any case, if there's a better 1890 half out there, it'll come along eventually. Patience is always advisable, but again as far as the coin goes, I've seen far, far worse.

I'm kind of with you. It's an XF coin, after all! "Pristine surfaces" and "XF" don't usually go together! (Not justifying the price, however!)

This may be a case where a little bit of color makes people do funny things....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

"....a little bit of color makes people do funny things...."

Right on @TommyType

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Know the coin. Get a good idea of how many are available in a similar grade by checking other auctions, current and former. Assess the closing/sale prices. Bid accordingly within a comfortable range, no more.

Personally, I've lost many auctions following this formula. In the end, Some only by a small amount. In the end I own it for less than average. And I hate green beans. Taste like cardboard.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    The photo does look like it was taken in very bright light or the white balance was crazy.

I did put in a bid for that coin, but for FAR lower than the final price but within reason of the CoinFacts prices. No green bean is worth that kind of premium to me.

The fact that you were vying for the coin did make me feel better prior to having the coin in hand.

• Options

@steelielee said:
    Talk about being buried in a coin....

Flippant response: “But I have the half dollar.” Several things: (1) Money is largely irrelevant for my core focus efforts. (2) I acknowledge money as it relates to coins – heck, this is the group where ‘you suck’ is worshipped. (3) The conjunction of money and patience is, to my mind, the most fascinating aspect of acquisition efforts.

• Options

@originalisbest said:

Thanks for your comment. The better side of the forum.

• Options

@thefinn said:
    Whoever Bidder 12 was wanted that coin bad, and probably would have gone higher.
    There were 28 bids, and 9 of them were from Bidder 12.
    They'll be happy for a while.

$1515. Respect to the lesser nuke’s bid amount. Seems like nuke bids have a certain style to them.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I like the patina and it is a very meaty XF.

Agree that it is a strong price.

Keep searching and good luck!

It does have nice, strong devices.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

$1500+ all in will have me looking at MS 63's or MS64's. A decent coin imo, though over priced when better ones can be had for the same or a bit more. I have always liked the low mintage seated halves from 1879-1891. Scarce and reasonably priced imo. A nice subset of SLH's.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not pay near that much for this coin, but I suspect that it is really nice in hand. The images are lousy, like many of the images on GC (or other major auction houses) and is not doing justice for the coin. I have bought a few on GC at reasonable prices, with lousy images that I gambled on because I thought would be better than the images, some were, and some of which upgraded significantly and then got a bean on top of that. So don't judge a coin by its picture in this case, there is a reason why CAC beaned it..........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the passion and enthusiasm of this collector. My glee is only followed more closely by the lack of regard for the naysayers' weak opinions.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ebeneezer said:
    And I hate green beans. Taste like cardboard.

You probably don't add enough butter when you cook them....... ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I waited eight years before finding an acceptable Heraldic Eagle Dollar. I waited four years before finding an acceptable Barber Half. And after many years, and giving up looking for an acceptable Coronet Head Large Cent, one almost fell into my lap.

Keep looking and don't worry about it. If you're like me, very few coins "sing to you." Only those are the ones you don't want to get away.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are always advised to pay up for the coins they really like.

It’s not always good investment advice. But it can lead to the collector really enjoying their collection.

Money isn’t everything.

To put things in perspective though, a non-CAC in P45 sold last year for $564.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 7:12PM

The price realized, $1,531.27, is a nice 91% over PCGS Price Guide of $800.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can never tell much of anything from GC photos...

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN - Congrats on the purchase. I understand where your coming from when you explained money really doesn’t matter when it come to a piece you need for your set. Who knows .... you may never get your money back on this particular coin when it comes time to sell. But pride of ownership and the enjoyment you get each and every time you pull her out of the bank box will surely make it money well spent.

I have been in your shoes before... It was a heritage auction (maybe a year ago) I needed an 1856 $1 for my set. I searched through all the archive I could find in XF(my target grade) and they were just plain ugly dipped out, white, POS coins and not worthy of going into my crusty set. Anyways.... I knew this XF40 was the right coin... Even with no CAC sticker(side note there is only 1 CAC in XF40 and it’s buried deep in the bowels of my buddy’s collection) .... So I knew this was my shot at a crusty original piece.... I had to do whatever it took to get that coin... I paid 4K for her when I believe coin facts had her listed for a little over 2k. But to me she was worth every penny and I have no regrets. It is super crusty and has the original look I strive for. I may never get that money back out of her but the time we have shared and will continue to share makes it well worth it. Congrats on your new pick up!!!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images would be nice for the thread.
    Lance.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah! It should be bacon grease! :#

@spacehayduke said:

@Ebeneezer said:
    And I hate green beans. Taste like cardboard.

You probably don't add enough butter when you cook them....... ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file