Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What I've noticed about millennial coin collectors on reddit and instagram

ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

They collect really lame crapola.
Whats the theory here, because they are lazy and don't work they cant buy decent stuff?

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pokermandude said:
    The vast majority of collectors are collectors/accumulators/hoarders of dreck. Especially those with tiny budgets.

This.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@ACop said:
    They collect really lame crapola.
    Whats the theory here, because they are lazy and don't work they cant buy decent stuff?

What do you deem as "decent stuff"? Overpriced US coins from retailers that only have value if PCGS and CAC say so? Is that decent stuff? Maybe millennials Don't wont to needlessly piss their money away on proven financial losers? Just a thought.

Just scroll down the list. I doubt you know that they paid melt for these holed, cleaned and polished gems. I know money can be blown at an level but an MS coin in a holder is never going to be the disappointed a polished raw coin would be.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/coins/

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't really expect young collectors to be buying $1k+ coins do you?
    Being a millennial('84), I think I'm doing OK with my collection. But then again I'm not on IG or Reddit, maybe that's a different subset.

Everyone starts somewhere.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 3:20PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Being a millennial('84), I think I'm doing OK with my collection. But then again I'm not on IG or Reddit, maybe that's a different subset.

There are beautiful coins for $20. I didnt say 1k+ anywhere.

• Options

Before everyone continues to wrap the idea of a millenial around an innocent young boys avatar, remember that there are millenials that are close to 40 years old.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am active on numismatic Instagram. But not Reddit. For Instagram, I would totally disagree - there are young people consistently buying and selling multi thousand dollar pieces.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@ChrisH821 said:

For $20, Id call them beautiful widgets. As a millenial ('86), I see most of us collecting major series, just not to the extent of previous generations. More focus on quality over quantity. Also very little time in a coin shop. Rarely do I get to talk coins with people my own age in the shop.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I have two dozen plus young people working for me. There is no single brand - good or bad - among them. Some are exceptionally bright, some are hard working, some are not. It’s the same normal personnel curve you’ve seen for decades. As for collecting and grading habits, I know many old people who can’t grade and collect stuff I would not....That’s why they make 1123 brands of ice cream. ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a GenZ who's active on Instagram and Reddit and has a website set up, there are about six different ways I could take offense to this :D

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2019 5:17PM

Millennials are smart buying nice gold and silver coins close to melt. Mexico Silver onzas a very strong seller for me online and at shows. A slabbed 69 sold last nite - quality affordable coins.

They generally are not going to buy $1000 plus expensive numismatic US coins (budget) knowing the bids stagnant to southward in many series and they don’t buy off on the idea of these same coins supposedly worth 75 pct more bc of sticker. They are well versed on market pricing and the 89 crash has been discussed. Many cap their budget at item max $300. The average hourly wage here in Texas is slightly less than $20 per hour. So coins in $20-$100 range popular here. They buy what is sane for their budget. Once a coin over like $200 that is more than many make per day.

I see many of them buying currency especially world. They collect what they enjoy not what some self acclaimed expert thinks is in vogue. It could be coins of their bd or anniversary date or somewhere they went on a vacation or some historical theme. Slabbed WW1 2018 commem seeing dollars strong sales lately.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is NO wrong way to collect coins. However one should try to remember the old saying. "buy low sell high". Collecting and having fun are far more important than profit or loss and my experience is that having fun is almost a better predictor of winning or losing money than trying to buy low and sell high. If you're having fun you're just that much more likely to do it right.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browsed the reddit link for a while. They could use some direction there.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@Pokermandude said:
    The vast majority of collectors are collectors/accumulators/hoarders of dreck. Especially those with tiny budgets.

This.

Agreed and as a function of supply and budgets, it cannot be otherwise.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2019 6:37PM

The opening post was painted with an extremely broad brush.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if this thread has gone in the direction the OP expected it to.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I think the responses have been very predictable. Makes one wonder...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShafferRareCoins said:
    I’m so disappointed in this post, I don’t even know where to begin. Honestly, just don’t let it bother you what other people collect. This young numismatic crowd is incredible. Please never talk down on someone because they’re collecting something you don’t think is worth collecting. Smh time for you to find a new hobby man.

Changing hobbies won't change anything about the collector

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

At any of the shows when i see us millennials i introduce myself in a professional and friendly manner. Some of them are now friends for life. Can't judge a book by its cover sometimes they've pulled something out of there bag that made my jaw drop. And with the YN around here and there ill throw a couple freebies books or folders. Thats what the generation did before me always pass it down.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should be glad "they" are buying any coins.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop Your sir Have been burned! :#

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 9:01PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Browsed the reddit link for a while. They could use some direction there.

Yeah I dont think anyone else here actually bothered to look at what people are paying good money for. Its funny how contrarian the old geezers here on the other side of the spectrum are. The coins here are crap if they dont have a CAC sticker. But yet somehow im wrong when I point out the younger collectors are throwing money away buying raw polished crap. Post many of those coins here proudly and these same people here swarm on how those coins are crap. It happens weekly. Go figure.

My post was never about dollar value. There is plenty of gold eagles and expensive coins that are damaged or cleaned in my example of mistakes people are making on those forums. I myself only have 3-4 coins over $1000. But yet thats what people latched onto. Millenials are 20-35 years old. Yet people are responding as if I attacked an 8 year old for not spending 10k

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you say, man. Looks real lonely on this hill you wish to die on.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Well, you did say in your first post "because they don't work they can't buy decent stuff." That pretty much implies cheap coins are not decent, right? I'm 34, so old for instagram, but youngish overall in the coin world. I agree most stuff on instagram is not great, but hey, younger people don't have much money, and the more money you have, the better coins you can buy. I would love to see more "experienced" collectors join instagram so that the younger collectors have some collections to look up to.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 9:17PM

@jwitten said:

@ACop said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Well, you did say in your first post "because they don't work they can't buy decent stuff." That pretty much implies cheap coins are not decent, right? I'm 34, so old for instagram, but youngish overall in the coin world. I agree most stuff on instagram is not great, but hey, younger people don't have much money, and the more money you have, the better coins you can buy. I would love to see more "experienced" collectors join instagram so that the younger collectors have some collections to look up to.

The implication was meant to consider lazy at research. The sentiment is based on the comments on reddit that old = valuable. The oldest mistake in the book when collecting.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 9:27PM

Its funny how the same ideas posted as a bleak future for the hobby, a post that has been done 100 times here, which implies the same idea, is agreed with overwhelmingly every time someone posts it.

Its also funny that many people have taken to those venues because of how harsh the lot on here are to new collectors. Heres one example from reddit. Imagine the swarm upon the poor bastard who came here to show off his first qe purchase and it was this. Bunch of hypocrites:

• Options
    edited September 21, 2019 9:42PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    @ACop ...

You have to keep in mind, not everybody has $7,000 to spend on a $200 Peace Dollar with a polished die. Some people, especially millennials, don't have money to throw away like its nothing. But by all means, continue discouraging the younger generation of numismatics. I doubt you'll be seeing much of these boards after this highly offensive post....

Very rich coming from the guy who cracked out a details coin to sell on instrgram as problem free, trying to take advantage of the very same idea I am posting about here. Maybe you dont want me to blow up your source of uniformed revenue? Banned or not at least im not scamming anyone like you.

Oh oops, were we supposed to forget about the thread you were exposed in because you changed the title to close and delete? My bad.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 1:09AM

@ACop What makes you so sure that people on Instagram and Reddit are "20-35 years old"? (And it's really 23-37 years old for Millennials anyway). There's no displayed age on either of those platforms. It's also not logical to point out some people with problematic or low-budget coins and say that's a reflection of ANY particular group as a whole. Were you a numismatic expert on your first day, or month, or year of collecting?

You seem to be doing a lot of wild generalizing, and then when you're called out for it, you pretend that you were being specific and accuse other people of being hypocrites by falsely equating what they're saying with something entirely different.

It's probably best for us all to collectively stop giving this thread any attention.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2019 9:55PM

@ACop said:

@ilikemonsters said:
    @ACop ...

You have to keep in mind, not everybody has $7,000 to spend on a $200 Peace Dollar with a polished die. Some people, especially millennials, don't have money to throw away like its nothing. But by all means, continue discouraging the younger generation of numismatics. I doubt you'll be seeing much of these boards after this highly offensive post....

Very rich coming from the guy who cracked out a details coin to sell on instrgram as problem free, trying to take advantage of the very same idea I am posting about here. Maybe you dont want me to blow up your source of uniformed revenue? Banned or not at least im not scamming anyone like you.

Oh oops, were we supposed to forget about the thread you were exposed in because you changed the title to close and delete? My bad.

You bashing an entire generation of young, dreaming numismatists is completely unacceptable, and intolerable. Instead of ruining everybody's mood on the weekend and offending multiple members on the boards, why not keep your rude shallow comments to yourself and go on with your day? Serious question, as I cannot wait to hear your answer...

I think I'm done here. Not a single person on this thread seems to agree with your statement that young millennials are lazy enough to not be able to afford nicer coins. Maybe take the hint and not retaliate with the 35 people who disagree with you.

This discussion has been closed.