Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Official “I found this at a yard sale/flea market/pawn store” thread.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post your finds from flea markets, yard sales, and pawn stores.
I may be the only one that adds posts, but I’ll put in what I find fairly regularly.

These are from a flea market in Ohio from last year. $20 each. Some had problems, but I was happy to have them.

This is from a local pawn store. I picked it up this Monday.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unusual that somebody had that Culiacan 8 Reales slabbed...

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super pickup

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get up to the Thousand Islands quite a bit. There was always a nice Summer coin show in Clayton.
    I would hit yard sales and shops while traveling around up there.
    The best times were pre-internet (you mean at one time there was NO internet?). At an antique shop I found a Pan Am silk, like this one.
    It was nicely framed and cost me 40 bucks.
    At a yard sale, I bought a cigar box full of Liberty nickels. Hundreds of them. They were all junk, but I tripled my money.
    It's been some time since I stopped at a yard sale. I kinda feel that unless you're there first, forget it.......

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any tools in the watchmakers repair box? Very cool! I love mechanical clocks and watch parts.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last big buy at a garage sale was a set of cufflinks & tie bar for $10.

They were 14Kt, nearly an ounce of melt.

This was about 20 years ago.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real finds lately....last was a set of salt and pepper shakers.... the glass containers are encased in sterling.... not sure of weight since they cannot be separated. I have been remiss in yard sales this year, too busy now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had any success at yard sales/garage sales.
    Flea markets...that's a different deal.
    I really enjoy going to flea markets.
    I have snagged so many good deals at flea markets over the years I don't think I could recall all of them...or even some of them....

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 3:47PM

@DNADave
    If you’ll sell me a bust half, I’ll let you double your money on one (or more) :) don’t have any bust coins yet

Nice finds everyone

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always dream of hitting it big at yard sales. There is monthly flea market near where I live that I've been going to once or twice a year since I was a child. Never found anything worth purchasing in the realm of coins, just cleaned overpriced indian cents.
    I have made out on some antique mining lamps and headgear, though I kept them so I've got no idea what the resale is.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and very well displayed DNA. (thumbs up icon)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fine '37-D 3 legged marked as "counterfeit" that wasn't; a 1943-S DDO-01 25c that graded MS64; and an 1857 half cent in AU58 for $15 come to mind. There were plenty of others that I can't recall at the moment. This was years ago.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago, I had a guy come in the shop claiming he found a 1 oz Proof American eagle at a yard sale, along with some other coins. Later in the week, after a homicide detective stopped in to visit, I found out he not only didn't find the coins at a yard sale, but instead stole them from an ex coworker, and killed the guy to boot when the guy caught him in the act, then tried to burn his body in a pile of leaves. Lets say he is in jail for life.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    Several years ago, I had a guy come in the shop claiming he found a 1 oz Proof American eagle at a yard sale, along with some other coins. Later in the week, after a homicide detective stopped in to visit, I found out he not only didn't find the coins at a yard sale, but instead stole them from an ex coworker, and killed the guy to boot when the guy caught him in the act, then tried to burn his body in a pile of leaves. Lets say he is in jail for life.

That's awful

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

A few months ago I was coming home from work and saw a yard sale sign on a Tuesday afternoon which was kind of odd because people usually hold these on a weekend. It was the usual dishes, baby clothes...and then I asked my yard sale question, "Do you have any old guns or coins"?
    The guy went inside and came back with a Mason jar about 3/4 full of foreign coins. Without dumping them out I paid his asking price of $20. I'm thinking that even if there's nothing in there, it's worth $20 for the fun of going through it. When I got home I dumped them out on a towel and counted almost $19 in U.S. change. So that was pretty much a freebie jar of coins.

• Options

That’s really a good find Leroy. And you’re right. Very fun to find what’s in something like that.

Here’s my find from the flea market this morning. A few scatter tags, the first I’ve ever owned. I think they’re exonumia. These were $1 each.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up recently for $30 !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

A lighter......

• Options

I like the keys in the tobacco tin. Do any of them fit the locks?

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    I like the keys in the tobacco tin. Do any of them fit the locks?

The key to the lock on the left is in the tin. I don’t recall 100%, but I don’t believe I have the key to the other lock.

• Options
    CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

I know you guys love my swap meet finds!
    This weekend in a junk bin!
    And it has the “states if America”

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

great finds everyone, congrats

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! 👍

• Options

@Meltdown said:
    I bought these 2 1920's trucks this summer at a yard sale. I paid $150 each and sold both to a dealer friend a week later for $900.
    photo IMG_20190526_103439.jpg

How? What makes them worth so much?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019 8:49AM

They're big, all original, no missing or broken parts and still widely collected... Buddy L trucks are very popular

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously I need to get back out to yard sales and flea markets... have not gone for a couple of years now...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool....rusty staples sometimes = good deals

Sometimes not....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file