Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should BBCE have offered another box to Jabs Family?

Comments

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Does anyone follow this guy?

How much did he charge? How much did he make.

If he's deriving a profit, then IMO he should "share" in the responsibility with Steve - if that's his thinking.

This was "not" FASC - so anything is possible.

If Steve offered a box @ 50% discount? That's more than fair.

Watching the way the packs opened? They appeared clean to me.

I'd defer to Tim/Grote who has way, way more knowledge and experience than I.

The way this was organized? No one is out 2K (only collectively).

The organizer - if he feels that the box stunk? Right now - he should start by giving all the members his profit back and then deal with Steve to get something fair IMO.

I've never known a breaker to not be in it for the profit. He sells spots to breaks on eBay. This one he mentions is to his patreon members (people that donate large amounts of money monthly to him for who knows why) so he's again profiting.

I really do not get this guy. He puts on this act in his videos of a simple minded card loving guy who has a passion for going to flea markets. He always seems to buy the same thing (80's junk wax and 80's rookies like Andy Van Slyke and other dollar cards). He does so very enthusiastically which if authentic would be great, but, it just seems like an act. His eBay account and and the 20k volume of sold listings and now he's getting into high end breaks seems to really counter this simpleton personality he likes to convey in his channel. Not to mention, the guy rakes it in with probably 1k a night in donations when he live streams.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gesture by Steve, and all of us who have worked with him know he is a stand up guy and has a great reputation which is well earned. Like someone previously stated it is like lottery tickets, and if you don’t win after buying $100 worth of scratch offs don’t blame the seller. I have opened plenty of vending boxes and Wax new and old from SCD back in the day and eBay, and some have been absolute duds but never thought they were bad boxes - just the way the run happened to run.

KC

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Could’ve bought box 2 with the profits from box 1 and just re-done the break and called this break a wash.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't watched the video but wanted to make a few comments.

1) BBCE has made mistakes in the past. We got a bogus 1980 wax box in a group break a few years ago. The packs were suspicious looking when I received them and my suspicions were confirmed when I opened the pack and found a marked checklist in it. BBCE stood behind the box and refunded us for those packs.
    2) Just because no big star cards are pulled doesn't mean the box isn't legit. I bought a wax run from 1972-1976 many years ago. All were from the same source purchased at the same time from the original owner. Several packs had star cards showing and the packs were gem. I ended up opening the 1976 box because that was the first year I collected. I only pulled a Catfish Hunter as far as HOFers go. I opened a handful of packs from the other boxes and pulled several stars and key rookies. I also bought several 1979 wax boxes from a guy who inherited inventory from an old baseball card store. I sold a few of the boxes after BBCE certified and wrapped them. One buyer got no major star cards while the other pulled three Ozzie rookies.

So in my experience, this situation could go either way. It is possible the box wasn't good but it's also very possible the box was legit and just fired blanks. Based on this, I think Steve's offer was fair.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

First things first, I watched the video and skipped forward to the 1:19 mark. I am not the Jason C that bought into that break! I watched a video of his a while back and somehow his videos still show up on my front page. I don't know what it is, but he rubs me the wrong way and I will not support him. Shame on him for even asking for a replacement and even stating in the video he was certain that it was a searched box. So he badmouths BBCEx and ignites a firestorm in the comments against them...I would have told him to pound sand but I understand that Steve did what he did.

After watching, I did click on the 2008 BC break since the title inferred that he did not receive an autograph even though the box stated such. Turns out that it was a redemption and obviously expired, ones experienced in opening older boxes know that is a possibility. Many recall the expired Strasburg Superfractor Auto redemption that was pulled just after the expiration, imagine being in those shoes. Rather than blame himself for not being aware of such, he placed the blame elsewhere. That video has the comments disabled, that speaks volumes in itself.

• Options

I'm curious as to what star cards are from sheet C ?

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the C Sheet in case anyone's interested.

@davidlisa said:

Not many. Yount bottom right.

Andy

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Never had a problem with Steve. Very fair guy. I have bought plenty from him in the years.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

That's a terrible sheet, I wonder how often something like this happens. Has anyone else ever opened a wax box and had only cards from one sheet ? I don't see anything BBCE did wrong here but it sucks for the buyer. If BBCE certified the box and saw no issues with it and had no way to tell if the box was unusual then it is what it is.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 8:15AM

Tim i> @ahopkins said:

Here's the C Sheet in case anyone's interested.

@davidlisa said:

Not many. Yount bottom right.

Ray Fosse double printed on it among others. Didn't they say there were a ton of Fosse's pulled? lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds to me like it was definitely a legit box, just disastrous collation. That's a quality issue by Topps, but Steve sure didn't have anything to do with it.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I started watching Jabs a couple of months ago because I was interested to see what he finds at flea markets. I think he buys junk wax because he puts together those pack lots of "buy 100 baseball cards" and sends like 6 or 7 packs. I don't watch any of the breaking stuff. I have seen a little of his fan mail streams and he does get a lot of cool things. But, you can't fault him for what he's doing - this is his side hustle. If people want to support it, that's their choice. I do disagree with him being entitled to a new box or a discount after the explanation that was provided.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

No, but it was another example of what a stand-up guy he is. And that's why people trust him.
    kevin

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:

@Stone193 said:

@Vagabond said:
    I think a $1000 credit was fair. That box was highly suspicious. Not putting blame onto BBCE but even sometimes, everyone gets it wrong.

Do explain?

Well, Is it really not possible for a professional re-sealler to get by Steve? Most defintely. For the box to pull absolutely no real star power is impressive in itself. So was that a searched box. I don't know and neither does anyone else here and everything here is just a matter of opinion. But what I do know is that even PSA has made known errors over the years. Even as recent as cards being placed into it's holders that shouldnt have been with this whole recent PWCC scandal. So why not BBCE?

I just want to make sure I get this straight. You go on a public message board and declare that a wax box is HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS and the reasons you later give for making that claim are basically "I don't know if it was legit, no one knows if it was legit, everything is just a matter of opinion?"

Is that correct?

Because that would be a wildly ignorant and irresponsible thing to do. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you know absolutely nothing about authenticating unopened wax packs. Do you think Steve just rubs his hands over each pack and feels for the goodness? Educate yourself about what you are slandering. It boggles my mind that someone would make such an irresponsible comment like that without knowing ANYTHING about what they're talking about. You ignorant, ignorant person.

Arthur

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I had a 1984 Topps fasc wax box that had the bottom half of each pack have the same 11 cards from the same row in a sheet. 24 give or take of each card. The worst part was it was one row above the mattingly row. The top cards were from 3 different sheets.

I never thought to whine and get another box for half off though. To me, anomalies like these go further to prove it was a legit box. That would be a really tough box to put back together with all cards from one sheet.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Jabs monetizing its youtube account? If so, and this picks up traction (there are at 42K views after 3 days), they will make a good chuck of their money back.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Wait....am I reading and seeing this correctly that people PAY to have him read their comments on the video?? What in the actual #@$^.

I guess that's the world we live in nowadays and people can do whatever they darn well please with their money, but come on.

Not a fan of that guy, especially the last few minutes of that video, saying he'd ask for his money back and everyone got a free entry to the next box. Not a fair thing to do before the facts came out.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Steve is human and is prone to imperfection just as all of us are. That being said, he did NOT make a mistake in this instance. Getting every single card from sheet C and then resealing the packs perfectly so as to avoid detection would be next to impossible.

The only way something like this happens is if was done during the original packing at the factory. And given Topps' history of frugality in those days (e.g. re-using wrappers from prior years, selling off extra unsold cards to be made in Christmas Racks, etc.) it is highly believable that they came upon some uncut sheet Cs late in the production run and chopped them up and packed them into one or more boxes without cards from any of the other sheets.

As for Steve's handling of the situation, it was his usual professional and exemplary way of going the extra mile for his customers.

Dave
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

A personal story that further proves that Topps mixed these up from time to time. I purchased a 1971 Topps Partridge Family box on ebay some years back that was advertised as a series 1 (of 3) box. Series 1 packs normally contained 5 cards. It turned out that every pack had 5 series 1 and 5 series 2 cards in them. Series 2 cards are a dime a dozen but the beauty of this was that the gum card was always a second series card. 85% of the first series cards received grades anywhere from PSA 8 to 10. I have never seen another pack like these were. In this case, I was very fortunate.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

Seems some are still uncertain and think there's a chance the box wasn't legit. I assure you it was as legit as any FASC box you will find. I watched every single pack being opened and every single card shown on camera, that box was 100% authentic, contained the 36 original packs to that box and was **NOT ** created from a cut card case. BBCE went above and beyond to offer a discount on a second box.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add the Topps Boxes of Misfit cards, I have a 1986 Topps Cello FB Box of factory miswraps. Each cello box is wrapped and sealed but the card count varies from as low as 10 to some only 1-2 cards short. I bought these from D&A. There are packs that have Rice, Young, and Smith on the back so I assume they are legit.

Mike
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was way more than fair to to offer him a discount on a second box. How he gets so many people watching his videos is beyond me. His voice alone is too annoying to listen for more than a couple seconds. Dude should offer to buy a second box himself and give it away as he has gotten so much free publicity from this issue. And as someone mentioned, do people pay to get their comments read on the stream?? If so, what a scam. I'll be happy to respond to any comments left in response to any of my comments or posts for a mere $3. Please PM me for my Paypal address.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Is Jabs monetizing its youtube account? If so, and this picks up traction (there are at 42K views after 3 days), they will make a good chuck of their money back.

I think you need 100k views to make $10.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 6:31PM

This guy made a good video showing how much youtubers make from monetization and actually shows his own numbers.

https://youtu.be/RH0eDGWpG-o

Using the link he provided, here is a look at Jabs Family:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/search/Jabs%20Family

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know we can have single, double and triple prints - but two rows "exactly the same?"

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    This guy made a good video showing how much youtubers make from monetization and actually shows his own numbers.

https://youtu.be/RH0eDGWpG-o

Using the link he provided, here is a look at Jabs Family:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCBUF4GX277yARAA5BypZiaQ

This is very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 5:46PM

@Stone193 said:

I know we can have single, double and triple prints - but two rows "exactly the same?"

That’s just because the set has only 726 cards instead of 792. With the one double printed row per sheet over six sheets, that makes the difference of 66 cards.

• Options

@dan89 said:

Oz sheet has the double row of Reggie, Garvey, Bench Etc. All A sheet would have been a ridiculous box

@Stone193 said:

So, if I was going to open and reseal a 1979 Topps wax box I would replace with "C sheet" cards and then it would all be good....right? It just didn't feel right....I knew early on he wasn't getting anything...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fsushaw said:

@dan89 said:

Oz sheet has the double row of Reggie, Garvey, Bench Etc. All A sheet would have been a ridiculous box

@Stone193 said:

So, if I was going to open and reseal a 1979 Topps wax box I would replace with "C sheet" cards and then it would all be good....right? It just didn't feel right....I knew early on he wasn't getting anything...

Paging @HighGradeLegends ;rolleyes;

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 6:24PM

@PaulMaul said:

@Stone193 said:

That’s just because the set has only 726 cards instead of 792. With the one double printed row per sheet over six sheets, that makes the difference of 66 cards.

My 1st love 1978 Topps is very similar. I imagine each sheet has one row of double prints as well being a 726 card set.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

For what it’s worth I randomly watched 8-10 packs in this video being ripped. The major of them had 2 distinct 6 card runs in the pack and I was able to guess the next 5 cards perfectly based on sequencing theories. Box was not tampered with IMO, just incredible bad luck having them all come from the C sheet.

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 7:44PM

@Nathaniel1960 said:

He is definitely monetized. Anyone making constant reminders to hit that subscribe button etc is definitely doing it for the $$$

I know it was mentioned earlier about how this is his side hustle and more power to him. Normally, I would agree if he was on the up and up. But as he is monetized, having people donate to him, having people send him fan mail with expensive cards all on the basis of playing this character that always seems clueless on sports cards and their value seem like he is taking advantage of people. The fact he is monetized, buying boxes from Steve for thousands of dollars and breaking them, collecting money from donations, receiving cards sometimes worth hundreds of dollars from people in the mail shows he is much more calculating than he shows in his videos. He seems to continue to play the character as he evolves his growing side hustle and people are just stupid and buying into it. There is only so many times you can see his videos and see him get all excited about getting an Andy Van Slyke rookie, or a 1987 Barry bonds donruss card at a flea market before you realize this is just an act. The guy has 20,000 eBay transactions and 500+ a month and is a straight up hustler.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I think you need 100k views to make $10.

That's not quite how it works. The amount you get is based on the topic of your videos, the types of ads played, how often people click on them, and so on. 100k views is probably worth more like $500-$1000 based on what I've seen.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 6:40AM

You would be surprised what people like to watch on youtube, but this guy does take his followers along to flea markets, garage sales, and card shows and that is what the viewer wants...to see the national and other smaller shows from their computer and phone. He also gets sent tons of fan mail with cards, but most of the viewers are not stupid either and they use it as a way to exchange their unwanted cards for something of equal value combined--he offers them to send in cards they want to donate to others and he allos for them to make requests of getting a card or 2 back. Most of the users exchange several dozen lower level cards and request something of their favorite player or a card specifically and he sends it typically unless it is a card he doesn't currently own.

I don't see a problem with what he is doing, and although he went about it the wrong way (bashing on the video of the break), I actually don't think it was crazy that he asked BBCE for a refund. Once Steve explained what happened, he accepted it on camera and took back anything bad said and also encouraged others not to bash BBCE. I can see this as a mistake and not trying to take a shot, as after all the box did suck completely and he was on fumes thinking it was staged.

The monetization and the patreon gifts and all that, it is what people on youtube do. If he has thousands of followers and isn't monetizing, he would just be an idiot. Most content creators on youtube live and die by their videos getting likes and views and they must continuously supply them daily, weekly, or however often. He obviously has a card selling ebay business and/or other beyond youtube but he still puts out content for his card loving followers.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

This type of thing has probably happened more often than people know. If I opened this box by myself, not on youtube with thousands of viewers, I would never think that all the cards were from the same sheet. I would think I got a piece of garbage box and that maybe somehow it was resealed. When I heard that all the cards were from the same sheet I said to myself there is no way someone would do that on purpose if they were resealing. It would be too much work and too obvious. Topps had terrible quality control and cards were not valuable back then. This was a $7.20 (retail) box of cards in 1979.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Don’t take any Jabs at a good Harted man!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I was thinking about all these rips.

It's prominent at the National and all over youtube.

Must be doing a good job depleting unopened material?

Mike
  • Options

Case breaks are where the money (and action) is at right now in the hobby. I love watching them even if I don't have a spot.

If I had the skill set to host a good break and ability to secure product at wholesale, I'd start a YouTube channel yesterday.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

I watch a lot of Jabs content and feel he is honest just naive.

I wish he wouldn't quote PSA 10 prices to people in his breaks, during the 79 break video he read a comment from someone who got a Sandberg RC in his 83 Topps break that came back a PSA 7.5 I believe which happens way more than a 10 will.

That being said his Super Chat money he gets is primarily from other channels and YT creators trying to get more subs in their own channel so its a form of advertising.

He has patreons like other YT content creators and as long as they are happy then who are we to criticize?

He does open great products and buys from BBCE to make it legit. I am glad he reached out and accepted Steve's explanation.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Case breaks are where the money (and action) is at right now in the hobby. I love watching them even if I don't have a spot.

If I had the skill set to host a good break and ability to secure product at wholesale, I'd start a YouTube channel yesterday.

Just look at Vintage Breaks videos and listing of items for breaks. Honestly, what they charge for a single spot in a break, you really don't have to buy stuff wholesale. I can say that MOST of the stuff they buy, they double their money on. Now, that isn't taking into consideration shipping, giveaways and labor. But if you are on a smaller scale, you could sell the spots cheaper and still come out way ahead. They have quite a few that are $3 per spot. I get that you have to take into consideration someone only buying one spot at $3 and then paying for the shipping to that person but I'm willing to bet not many people are only buying one $3 spot. Heck, look at 1989 Upper Deck packs. For $3 you get one spot in a pack. That's $45 a pack...do the math on a box. It's insane money on that stuff. I had asked them why they don't do those type of boxes as pack breaks but basically got the cold shoulder. Do a box break at $10 a pack and you are still doing quite well on a box....not $1600+ good though.
    I think you need to do it!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 1:49PM

The economics of these breaks make zero sense. The ROI from opening whole packs from even the 80s is abysmal. Older stuff is much, much worse in terms of ROI. When you factor in the approximate doubling of the cost per card (as compared to just buying a whole pack) that breakers seem to utilize, it's totally insane. People seem to be oblivious to the fact that even if you hit on a vintage star, the overwhelming likelihood is that it will be a 6 or 7 out of the pack. The probability of pulling a 10 is exceedingly low even if you get "the card." If the point is entertainment value, I suppose that's fine. However, if the point is a realistc opportunity to pull a card that is worth more than the cost of the break, I can't imagine the breaking thing will last.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@empigtv said:
    The economics of these breaks make zero sense. The ROI from opening whole packs from even the 80s is abysmal. Older stuff is much, much worse in terms of ROI. When you factor in the approximate doubling of the cost per card (as compared to just buying a whole pack) that breakers seem to utilize, it's totally insane. People seem to be oblivious to the fact that even if you hit on a vintage star, the overwhelming likelihood is that it will be a 6 or 7 out of the pack. The probability of pulling a 10 is exceeding low even if you get "the card." If the point is entrainment value, I suppose that's fine. However, if the point is a realistc opportunity to pull a card that is worth more than the cost of the break, I can't imagine the breaking thing will last.

I could not agree more with every word!

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

The economics of breaking vintage unopened are basically nonsensical at this point. The only reason it is working is because there are enough people who share a gambling mentality that are willing to overpay in search of the elusive PSA 10 star card that theoretically could emerge from the pack.

Perhaps breaking a full registry set, where every card is already a known quantity, might make more sense. At least the grades and valuation of what was being “broken” would be known up front.

Dave
  • Options

The people that spend a ton at Vintage Breaks are flushing their money down the toilet.

Vintage Breaks advertises PSA 10 prices of the star cards, but of all packs they have opened, I don’t know that they have ever pulled the chase card in a 10.

They appeal to gamblers. They keep a steady stream of side “give away” drawings going to give the gamblers more things to gamble on.

There main breaker is a guy that I caught in a lie the first night I watched their program and their part owner, Leighton Sheldon, had to fess up and apologize on behalf of the whole outfit.

Listening to their main breaker Mike you would think he was begging for money for starving children or cancer patients, not some for profit enterprise.

He is shameless. The other night he was prodding the faithful to “band together” and buy out a break.

• Options

Steve did what was right for business.

Whether you like Jabs or not, he had 3,400 people watching that break and many were dragging the BBCE name through the mud.

Jabs has bought from him in the past and Steve wants to ensure he buys from him in the future.

He will get that $1000 back many times over by placating Jabs and his minions.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "C" what has happened here. I still trust BB"C"E.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Rule # 1 - NEVER open the box

This is why I don't collect unopened boxes, but if I did, I would only collect boxes from a sealed case. Graders don't get it right 100% of the time.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"