Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins I have stretched to purchase

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

i realized that coins i have "stretched" for are some of my favorite coins and coins i dont regret purchasing. I thought about this and i think there is a rationale basis. Coins i strectched for by definition i really thought long and hard about and only purchased because i really wanted the coin. These were coins that were so special that i had to work a bit harder to justify purchasing. My worst purchases over the years was when i had excess coin money burning a hole in my pocket and made purchases without much thought (this hasnt happened in awhile since i have developed more patience in my purchasing). Just a little different perspective about stretching for special coins.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot on and whole heartedly agree

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Great way to look at it and agree 100%

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 4:46PM

Most of my coins; I paid around retail for or just a little more, which I, myself, wouldn't call a big stretch but it is a lot more than a dealer, flipper or frugal collector/investor would pay.

I do have two coins that I know that I'm buried in....one may upgrade (more than offsetting the overpayment), while the other will not likely upgrade. I still enjoy them, regardless, and they're mucho better than most of what I have seen out there in the last 10 years or so.

My fantastic purchases have made up for (and exceeded) my overpayments, which is how I like to view it. I have a couple of my best keys that I paid about 50% of high auction prices for. Those high priced coins were not nearly as nice, either, so that also makes me feel pretty good.

This leads me to another point: I have truly been getting away from auctions, as it is soooo easy to get in a bidding war and get 'run up'. I like working with trusted dealers....and, yes, there are some out there.

Time has also helped, as most of my coins are worth more than what I paid or, AT LEAST, as much, today.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

The furthest stretch I have done on a coin was placed on the "never-never" for a couple of months. I have not done that in a while.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stretched/overpaid for a coin 3 years ago. Nice examples are difficult to locate in MS condition. The coin was graded MS65/NGC at purchase. Crossed to MS64/PCGS. Normally this would probably be a huge mistake. For this coin, now CAC endorsed, it is most likely valued at or near purchase price. At this time, it is the only MS example endorsed by CAC. So, I am enjoying the "stretch".

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    I stretched/overpaid for a coin 3 years ago. Nice examples are difficult to locate in MS condition. The coin was graded MS65/NGC at purchase. Crossed to MS64/PCGS. Normally this would probably be a huge mistake. For this coin, now CAC endorsed, it is most likely valued at or near purchase price. At this time, it is the only MS example endorsed by CAC. So, I am enjoying the "stretch".

I’d rather have my coin in a PCGS/CAC 64 holder then a NGC 65 holder.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it comes down to how much demand there is or how mature the market is.

In mature markets, I tend to enjoy what I stretch for more. In less developed markets, I can have just as much enjoyment and pride of ownership with much less costly, but sometimes even more absolutely rare, acquisitions..

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

That feeling goes out the window when you sell. The trick is stretching for a coin that is so choice it could never be sold. :)

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread needs some pics!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy what I like....Within reason. The 'stretch' will vary with each collector according to their interests and resources. Coins, for me, are a hobby - not a business, not an investment....I have no doubt that some coins purchased years ago have increased in value.... and my gold stacks certainly have....And so I go merrily along... having fun... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like to find special coins to stretch for I still do this alot :

"My worst purchases over the years was when i had excess coin money burning a hole in my pocket and made purchases without much thought "

Cause I am a coin junkie...

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've stretched a few times and love the coins that I got!

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    I'll stretch for a coin I have been looking to buy for years and finally find it, knowing that I won't see another one for a number of years. An example was an AU 53 Bust $ with original skin. I bought it after looking for one like it for eight years. During this time, I only saw three other examples, all grossly overpriced. In all of the years I have been collecting, I've only seen one coin where I asked "how much," and was willing to pay the amount without flinching or thinking twice about it.

Would love to see a pic of that bust dollar.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really had to "stretch" for this one even tho it was obtained via a trade-

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Here’s the only coin I’ve really stretched for. More than 3x what I have paid for a coin before and since its purchase. I saw in Gerry Fortin’s case at a show and loved everything about it. Unfortunately it was way above my budget. I kept thinking about it and looking at it on his website. Eventually I caved and emailed him asking about a payment plan. Thankfully he was very understanding and flexible and I was able to eventually purchase this beautiful half dime! Very glad I decided to stretch for this one.
    NGC PF64 CAC

That looks fantastic ! Nice stretch!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it depends upon someone's definition of "stretching" before I can say if I have done it. I have on occasion paid more than I planned for a coin I really wanted. Part of the reason is that I almost exclusively buy my coins at auction (outside of eBay), as that's where it comes up for sale practically all of the time.

Otherwise, I don't go buy coins outside my self imposed price limit with one exception so far. I have the money to buy somewhat more expensive coins but don't do it anyway.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I'm walking the dog every morning I'll stretch whenever I see change lying on the pavement.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy do I understand. With only 13 coins in my Morgan CC set, I've been saving for an 1889-cc DMPL for years. I am afraid that I will not have enough time to get my monster as the days grow shorter and inflation gnaws at the pursestrings (retired).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob, that's a lofty goal worth attaining!!! good luck. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file