Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think fo this trade $, looks severely under graded

Seller has it listed as a Fine but it looks severely under graded... I would say xf at least
Do y'all think its worth pulling the trigger on this piece? Seems to be a lot of meat left on the bone

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1874-CC-U-S-SILVER-TRADE-DOLLAR-FINE-CONDITION/223581378088?hash=item340e7d1628:g:zVcAAOSwsNNdJTUz

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Cf. Too much spacing on the date, among other problems

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad counterfeit.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Survey says......NO.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dalladalla69 "Do y'all think its worth pulling the trigger on this piece?"

If this was a serious question you need to rethink your buying. If you have not taken the time to educate yourself about Trade Dollars you need to buy TPG graded. Trade Dollars have been counterfeited for many years, some are very good and others not so much. This one is not very good, it's a good thing you asked before you pulled the trigger. This is not the first raw counterfeit TD you have asked about. I'm not sure if you are just having fun and want to get the listings removed or if you are not seeing & learning what a counterfeit looks like.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @dalladalla69 "Do y'all think its worth pulling the trigger on this piece?"

If this was a serious question you need to rethink your buying. If you have not taken the time to educate yourself about Trade Dollars you need to buy TPG graded. Trade Dollars have been counterfeited for many years, some are very good and others not so much. This one is not very good, it's a good thing you asked before you pulled the trigger. This is not the first raw counterfeit TD you have asked about. I'm not sure if you are just having fun and want to get the listings removed or if you are not seeing & learning what a counterfeit looks like.

he's been posting tons of counterfeit links for people to report and get taken down. he's been doing a good job of it. maybe he was tired when looking at this one

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

This is one big reason TPGs should be used exclusively on purchases over a couple hundred bucks.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

the best way to sell counterfeits is massively under-graded, then the buyer thinks they got a steal

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    This is one big reason TPGs should be used exclusively on purchases over a couple hundred bucks.

There are countless coins valued at over a couple hundred dollars, which a great many collectors can authenticate without relying upon third party grading. It depends upon the coin, the images and the knowledge of the bidder.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The listing is gone now... too bad there is not a screenshot posted here... can be a teaching tool, and obviously, there are people that can use the help. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

picture of the counterfeit:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Do y'all think its worth pulling the trigger on this piece?"

Only if planning suicide.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

There are countless coins valued at over a couple hundred dollars, which a great many collectors can authenticate without relying upon third party grading. It depends upon the coin, the images and the knowledge of the bidder.

Truth is that most coins over a couple hundred bucks will be certified by now. If they are not it is likely because they are being offered gradeflated or would not straight grade at the 2 major TPGs, bullion being an exception of course. Would you recommend buying such coins without a third party opinion ?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Truth is that most coins over a couple hundred bucks will be certified by now.

How do you know that's so?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@fiftysevener said:
    Truth is that most coins over a couple hundred bucks will be certified by now.

How do you know that's so?

Just try to sell an ungraded coin to a dealer and the results may stun you but would not surprise me.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not looking to sell anything to anybody. I'm wondering how you know that most coins over a couple hundred bucks are certified .

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

Truth is that most coins over a couple hundred bucks will be certified by now. If they are not it is likely because they are being offered gradeflated or would not straight grade at the 2 major TPGs, bullion being an exception of course. Would you recommend buying such coins without a third party opinion ?

I don’t know what you mean by “most”, but there are more than enough such coins that I and many other dealers and collectors would buy without a third party opinion. Price could certainly be an issue, but authenticity would be an easy call in a very high percentage of cases. And I was originally speaking of being able to authenticate potential purchases.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

I don’t know what you mean by “most”, but there are more than enough such coins that I and many other dealers and collectors would buy without a third party opinion. Price could certainly be an issue, but authenticity would be an easy call in a very high percentage of cases. And I was originally speaking of being able to authenticate potential purchases.

Yes I follow your thought train Mark and agree to the extent that there are certain rare coins that stand alone making no difference what if any certified holder it was in. Several coins I own have both PCGS and NGC labels. As a collector I have a different thought pattern than dealers in that I don't have to worry about how long the coin sits in inventory or having to image them for sale. Sorry if I've strayed from topic and maybe I'll comment further in another thread.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 10:33AM

And the key dates all have good Counterfeits available if you look around.

And some of them are even in bogus top name holders.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

There are many EACers that eschew TP certification.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

This is simply not true. The are many more raw coins out there than you think. You don't see them at the big Houses because they clean everything prior to sale.

Circ gold alone disapproves your contention. You can buy buckets of $20s that no one is going to bother to clean because it's not cost effective.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file