Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How are Michael Jordan rookie cards holding up?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elgin Baylor was another prolific scorer.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 5:52PM

Back to the ('86 Jordan) card. I'd like to read everyone's earliest memories of it. I started going to shows in around 1987 and I guess I have vague memories of knowing about it in passing. It wasn't until the October 1989 issue of the first Beckett Basketball that it really became a hot commodity booking at a whole $175.

I guess the Jordan must have been selling well through 1989 to originally "book" at $175. (I mean, not many recent baseball rookies (let alone football or hockey) were selling in that range at that time but for a few ( '86 Donruss Canseco, '84 Fleer Update Clemens and Puckett, '83 Topps Traded Strawberry).

I had a friend back then whose father had purchased around 30 packs for 50 cents apiece earlier in the year. Needless to say they had a lot of very nice cards. My dad bought a number of cards from him including the Jordan for "book". Still have it 30 years later. Originally graded an 8 but was eventually regraded to a 9.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2019 2:15AM

By the time I learned about Michael Jordan's rookie card, it was too late. It's value had already taken off on it's mission to Mars.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Wilt Chamberlain is GOAT. No doubt. Jordan was the ultimate hot dog. The video where he switches hands is a perfect example. I always wonder why he did that. There was no reason for changing hands as no one was around him or contesting him. Hot dog move.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Jordan was the ultimate hot dog. The video where he switches hands is a perfect example. I always wonder why he did that. There was no reason for changing hands as no one was around him or contesting him. Hot dog move.

I believe this play has been discussed in interviews with the players and coaches involved, with more camera angles in real speed, rather than the slow-mo profile that most see. If I recall, the Bulls had a large lead, sure, but it was Jordan's first Finals, and the book on him was to be overly physical. As Jordan goes up for the jam, he sees a Laker coming over to contest. Anticipating at least some hard contact, if not a block attempt, or even a flagrant foul, he makes the split second decision to change the path of the ball to avoid the block and perhaps get the "And 1". Of course, the player sliding over in Jordan's peripheral vision is none other than former North Carolina teammate Sam Perkins. Perkins ended up glueing his shoes to the floor, as the game was not close and no need to foul his friend (although opponent) at that time, giving you the perception that there was no one there. In real speed, Michael was just using his phenomenal court vision and doing his thing that made him great, it's not his fault that everyone else in the play gave up. I get why people say it's overrated, but the guys that actually play the game at that level have all said it was just a move on a whole other level that really only Jordan could or would do.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give me BILL RUSSEL over anybody that has been mentioned so far,
    playing or card wise. He's always been my favorite, saw him play a
    couple times on TV. Back to MJ's cards, I was buying them $5-$10
    after they were released. Had a stash of 30 but sold most of them
    when life took over. Still have 1 rookie and 7 sets. Back in the 80's
    in East Tn. there was a card shop called Investibles. I remember
    seeing cases for $200. Where's my DeLorean?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Chuck Norris RCs have superior value...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Wilt Chamberlain is GOAT. No doubt. Jordan was the ultimate hot dog. The video where he switches hands is a perfect example. I always wonder why he did that. There was no reason for changing hands as no one was around him or contesting him. Hot dog move.

Was Mike a hot dog? He was certainly very gifted athletically.

Chamberlain was as good as Jabbar on offense and better on defense, he was better than Russel on offense and as good on defense.

The numbers are so obvious It's not really worth debating, especially Russel who was not a great scorer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@lawnmowerman said:
    Go Mountaineers!

LOL. Another lawnmowerman classic.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep those Jordan Gif's coming.

Jabbar was great, but he had only one or two ways to score. As we see in just those few gifs, Jordan could score in a multitude of ways. Jordan won defensive player of the year as well. Jordan's fade away jumper was just as unstoppable as Kareem's hook.

Could Kareem handle the ball? Jordan was unguardable driving to the basket.

Could Kareem shoot from the outside? Jordan became deadly from outside.

Kareem could rebound, but Jordan was a great rebounder for a 6'6" guard.

Kareem could block shots, but Jordan was arguably the best shot blocker at his position (guard) to ever play.

The NCAA banned dunking because of Kareem, but Jordan took dunking to another level. I find it amazing that not only was Jordan the games best scorer, but at the same time he was arguably the best drunker (game or contest).

Jordan = GOAT

Shane

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Keep those Jordan Gif's coming.

Jabbar was great, but he had only one or two ways to score. As we see in just those few gifs, Jordan could score in a multitude of ways. Jordan won defensive player of the year as well. Jordan's fade away jumper was just as unstoppable as Kareem's hook.

Could Kareem handle the ball?

Yes (and could be found leading fast breaks, especially in his younger days. Kareem ran the floor extremely well - he was not some lumbering giant).

Could Kareem shoot from the outside?

Skyhook was lethal from about 12 feet and in and had a solid jumper inside 15 feet, as well. The three point shot was not a part of the game for 75% of his career, though. Solid free throw shooter for a big (about 73%).

Kareem could rebound, but Jordan was a great rebounder for a 6'6" guard.

A bit of an understatement there. Kareem could rebound? How about only two players in the history of the game had more. That’s a little more accurate.

Kareem could block shots, but Jordan was arguably the best shot blocker at his position (guard) to ever play.

The NCAA banned dunking because of Kareem, but Jordan took dunking to another level. I find it amazing that not only was Jordan the games best scorer, but at the same time he was arguably the best drunker (game or contest).

Unless his dunks were worth more than two points (in dunk contests, they are) than taking it two a new level is a stretch. Kareem’s dunking was also outrageous and often over more than one defender. Much of the in game stuff was Jordan did was unnecessary flash. Made for good SportsCenters, though. And it started the game on the path to where it is today which is almost unwatchable.

Jordan = GOAT

You are entitled to your opinion and he’s a fine choice.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@RedHeart54 said:
    Back to the ('86 Jordan) card. I'd like to read everyone's earliest memories of it. I started going to shows in around 1987 and I guess I have vague memories of knowing about it in passing. It wasn't until the October 1989 issue of the first Beckett Basketball that it really became a hot commodity booking at a whole $175.

I guess the Jordan must have been selling well through 1989 to originally "book" at $175. (I mean, not many recent baseball rookies (let alone football or hockey) were selling in that range at that time but for a few ( '86 Donruss Canseco, '84 Fleer Update Clemens and Puckett, '83 Topps Traded Strawberry).

I had a friend back then whose father had purchased around 30 packs for 50 cents apiece earlier in the year. Needless to say they had a lot of very nice cards. My dad bought a number of cards from him including the Jordan for "book". Still have it 30 years later. Originally graded an 8 but was eventually regraded to a 9.

I remember that when I was a kid it was on the shelves for YEARS in my youth. I just walked by it every single time, instead going for a random pack of Topps, Classic, SkyBox, NBA Hoops and Upper Deck.

Regrets? I’ve had a few but then again too few to mention.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Jordan was unguardable.

• Options

He had no weaknesses.

• Options

Beautiful to watch.

• Options

Crazy.

• Options

Fearless.

• Options

Creative.

• Options

A nightmare.

• Options

Could shoot lights out.

• Options

Just unguardable.

• Options

No one could dunk like Jordan.

• Options

Ridiculous.

• Options

Jordan vs Bird.

• Options

Sick.

• Options

Passing skills.

• Options

Poetry in motion.

• Options

Out of nowhere.

• Options

A beast.

• Options

The finger wagging dunk.

• Options

Hey, what can I say?

• Options

I love those gifs. Where are you getting those?

Check the last few.... I think some are missing.

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:

If you go to google, and type Michael Jordan, click images then on the sub menu click ‘GIF’

There’s many and they’re all pretty awesome...

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@frankhardy said:

If you go to google, and type Michael Jordan, click images then on the sub menu click ‘GIF’

There’s many and they’re all pretty awesome...

Ok. Easy enough. Thank you!

Shane

• Options

One of my favorites!

tumblr-o253s1-Lk-UJ1u2klrwo1-400

Shane

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

As far as cards go, I would rather have early Chamberlain's than Jordan's. Everybody had a shot and collected Jordan's (whether they took the opportunity is another story). Chamberlain's stuff was before people really knew to protect/value them.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@RedHeart54 said:

I started collecting all four of the major sports in 86-87 when the closest store to my house,a Cumberland Farms convenience store, only sold the 86 Fleer basketball packs for some reason while a very small corner store next to my school had 86 Topps football,87 Topps baseball & 87 Topps Hockey. I eventually started buying all four but where basketball was my favorite sport having Larry Bird's Celtics as our local team i would spend most of my money on the .65 cents 86 Fleer packs near my house and at one time I had a full 9 pocket page of Jordan rookies on one side with 9 of his stickers on the otherside. Unfortunately as I got older in my late teen years where girls and owning a car took precedence over collecting I sold off most of my collection but kept these two through all the years. I hadn't graded the rookie until a couple years ago but BGS graded the sticker a 6 back in the late 90's and I actually just recently cracked it then added to a PSA sub that just got delivered home on saturday. I wouldn't clean the wax off the back and asked for no qualifiers so overall I was just happy to finally get it into a matching slab with my rookie.

• Options

Jordan coudn't stand to lose. I have never seen an athlete who hated to lose as much as Jordan. He absolutely despised losing. No one ever got past him in the NBA finals. Johnson, Drexler, Barkley, Payton, Malone. No one could get past him in the finals. He just wouldn't allow it. Winning was all that mattered. Losing just wasn't an option. He was CRAZY when it came to winning. Absolutely scary.

• Options

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, that if Jordan hadn't left the game for the 94 and 95 seasons, the Bulls would have won 8 straight NBA championships.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2019 12:44PM

The FLU game. Michael Jordan said "I almost played myself into passing out". He did whatever it took to win.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, that if Jordan hadn't left the game for the 94 and 95 seasons, the Bulls would have won 8 straight NBA championships.

Had a Bulls-Rockets Finals taken place that might have arguably been Chicago's toughest Finals matchup yet having to face a center like Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime. Looking at all of the Finals teams they beat there was only one team that had a better than average center,The Lakers with Kareem but he was literally at the end of his career. This would have been before Rodman arrived and Hakeem would have destroyed the Luc Longley/Bill Wennington/Will Perdue matchups.
    It would have been a pretty entertaining series to say the least.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Had a Bulls-Rockets Finals taken place that might have arguably been Chicago's toughest Finals matchup yet having to face a center like Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime. Looking at all of the Finals teams they beat there was only one team that had a better than average center,The Lakers with Kareem but he was literally at the end of his career. This would have been before Rodman arrived and Hakeem would have destroyed the Luc Longley/Bill Wennington/Will Perdue matchups.

Yes it would have been a great finals. Jordan would have had his work cut out for him. I would give the Bulls the edge. I just think Jordan would have found a way to win. I think he just wouldn't let them lose.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes it would have been a great finals. Jordan would have had his work cut out for him. I would give the Bulls the edge. I just think Jordan would have found a way to win. I think he just wouldn't let them lose.

I'm the biggest Jordan honk on this site so I pretty much agree with everything you've said so far. i Think that second Rockets Finals winning team could have been one hell of a tough series though. Hakeem,Drexler and a ton of three point shooters in Sam Cassell,Kenny Smth,Vern Maxwell,Mario Elie & Robert Horry.
    I used to recreate matchups like these on NBA Live back in the Sega Genesis days ;)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Jordan coudn't stand to lose. I have never seen an athlete who hated to lose as much as Jordan. He absolutely despised losing. No one ever got past him in the NBA finals. Johnson, Drexler, Barkley, Payton, Malone. No one could get past him in the finals. He just wouldn't allow it. Winning was all that mattered. Losing just wasn't an option. He was CRAZY when it came to winning. Absolutely scary.

Nice - when did he develop this hatred of losing? Six years in?

Because when the Pistons and Celtics were young and healthy, Michael Jordan only won Gatorade Slam Dunk titles...with a career highlight playoff highlight reel of a jumper over Craig Ehlo to get out of the first round! Then the league expanded, competition worsened and Jordan won.

Anyone want to dispute ANY of that?

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm the biggest Jordan honk on this site so I pretty much agree with everything you've said so far. i Think that second Rockets Finals winning team could have been one hell of a tough series though. Hakeem,Drexler and a ton of three point shooters in Sam Cassell,Kenny Smth,Vern Maxwell,Mario Elie & Robert Horry.
    I used to recreate matchups like these on NBA Live back in the Sega Genesis days ;)

Love me some Lakers v Celtics and Bulls v Lakers, which was then NBA Showdown and the NBA Live!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

Nice - when did he develop this hatred of losing? Six years in?

Because when the Pistons and Celtics were young and healthy, Michael Jordan only won Gatorade Slam Dunk titles...with a career highlight playoff highlight reel of a jumper over Craig Ehlo to get out of the first round! Then the league expanded, competition worsened and Jordan won.

Anyone want to dispute ANY of that?

The fact is, he developed it. That's what matters. Once he developed it, he was untouchable.

• Options

And by the way - to anyone reading along - I grew up rooting for Bird and the Celtics so I actually hated Kareem with a strong passion. He was a total beast.

Michael Jordan was also fantastic - that isn’t debatable. Still, the game began to worsen considerably during his ascent as rule changes were made to basically legislate the game toward being guard oriented and guard dominated. Similar to passing in the NFL, the league wanted it and made it so. Refs began to call any light contact as a foul - in both sports. All of a sudden, scoring goes up, stats become watered down and defense goes out the window. And then everyone goes immediately to the stats to prove how great this personal pick is - and they all just happen to be playing now.

So please consider my support for Kareem really a case for the guys who came before...

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@RedHeart54 said:

I started collecting all four of the major sports in 86-87 when the closest store to my house,a Cumberland Farms convenience store, only sold the 86 Fleer basketball packs for some reason while a very small corner store next to my school had 86 Topps football,87 Topps baseball & 87 Topps Hockey. I eventually started buying all four but where basketball was my favorite sport having Larry Bird's Celtics as our local team i would spend most of my money on the .65 cents 86 Fleer packs near my house and at one time I had a full 9 pocket page of Jordan rookies on one side with 9 of his stickers on the otherside. Unfortunately as I got older in my late teen years where girls and owning a car took precedence over collecting I sold off most of my collection but kept these two through all the years. I hadn't graded the rookie until a couple years ago but BGS graded the sticker a 6 back in the late 90's and I actually just recently cracked it then added to a PSA sub that just got delivered home on saturday. I wouldn't clean the wax off the back and asked for no qualifiers so overall I was just happy to finally get it into a matching slab with my rookie.

Eric...... I too bought my 86-87 Fleer packs from Cumberland Farms in 1986. I would stop by the convenience store every night on my way home from visiting my girl friend buying 4-5 packs at a time. .50 cents a pack, damn if I only knew. Are you from New England? I grew up in Maine.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON